• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That logic checks, but it only makes sense if you come as an Xbox owner. People who owns PS4 has very little reason to consider an Xbox Series X even from the 'upgrade PC-like' mindset.

I guess that's enough for launch since there's plenty of Xbox owners that might be interested on this as an upgrade and availability is definetly not there now to worry about expanding it to new users.

It's a personal choice, nothing that set in stone as you propose. I'm going from PS4 to Xbox series X.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Seems about right. If I'd never sold my XBONE years ago, I wouldn't be picking up an XSX. As excited as I am to get it, it's not because there's a bountiful number of new games day 1 to play.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
Yeah my original comment had nothing to do with Xbox vs Playstation UI. I like them both too.

It was merely me pointing out that people shouldn't say the UI being similar is a negative. Out of every device I have ever owned it has changed the UI so frequently that when they finally get it right they should leave it alone.

I do like the live background and the small differences but being in the preview I can almost guarantee their will be something new in January.

Yeah it's just a matter of psychology, there definitely is an aspect of buying a new item and seeing something new that reinforces the concept of something being new and exciting. I've literally felt both when upgrading iPhones in the past 😂, once I felt 'wow, well this sure feels the same' and another time where I was like 'thank goodness I don't have to think about anything and everything still works the same'.

There's no problem with either approach, ultimately the goal should always be to make something better, either through minor revisions or a wholesale revamp.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a personal choice, nothing that set in stone as you propose. I'm going from PS4 to Xbox series X.

I mean, I don't obviously talk about every PS4 owner in the world doing as I'd say. Just saying that for a majority of PS4 users, specially those who have budget limit and/or only owns a PS4, don't have a lot of reasons to see an Xbox Series X as a typical PC upgrade, because PC upgrades don't involve not being able to enjoy the majority of your gaming library in your upgraded hardware.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Reviews are about what I expected, great hardware cool features but no new games worth buying the system over. I decided last week to cancel my series x pre order and stick with the ps5 for the time being due to the lack of new titles I want to play on the series X side of things. Personally don't care much for backwards compatibility on either system so it was never a big selling point for me. Ill probably check out the series x once it gets a steady flow of first party exclusives going though or when the next forza horizon comes out, whichever comes first.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
The PS4 UI is objectively terrible. The PS5 UI looks to be a significant step forward and a massive improvement. Navigating the PS4 UI for even the most basic things (plugging in a new headset, system-level HDR settings, etc.) is a scavenger hunt. Nothing about it is intuitively designed.

It's your opinion. By definition it's not "objective". You realize that right?

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
True, but the competition has a solid launch line-up. Not saying this should matter to everyone (especially if you're not interested in these games) - and I'm not saying this as an "a-ha!" moment - but Sony is still doing its thing, Nintendo is still doing its thing - it's Microsoft who is changing this view. And maybe they are right to do so, but we shouldn't act like "consoles are becoming like PCs when it comes to launch titles" when it's basically just Microsoft. And even Microsoft wanted Halo at launch, so I'm not even sure this was their plan A, exactly.

Look, it's fine. People who pre-ordered the Series X should be excited. Amazing stuff at launch, amazing stuff coming. I just get slightly annoyed when we pretend like all consoles have no exclusive launch titles any more.

Eh. PS5 has one true exclusive at launch. Which happens to be a remake of a PS3 game. They have more games timed to the release of the PS5, but most of them are cross-gen titles.

It is better than Xbox's situation, no doubt, but it's not crazy strong either. I'm excited for Miles Morales, but I'll be playing it on PS4 Pro.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Yes switch also had a Terrible launch LINEUP.
I can not speak about my time with some games as I am under NDA. But my sentiments still stand completely even with those mentions of games you make.
Also Godfall is PC as well.

Godfall being on PC is immaterial. Every Xbox first party game is going to be on PC as well. Will the console never be worth it at all then? Console and PC audiences are different.

Anyways I guess we can just agree to disagree

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Next gen excitement aside, there certainly is value in upgrading not for a couple great looking next gen launch titles, but for the quality of life and performance improvements to dozens games you still play regularly.
I am still thinking of grabbing WD Legion though, looks like a proper next gen showcase at least.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Eh. PS5 has one true exclusive at launch. Which happens to be a remake of a PS3 game. They have more games timed to the release of the PS5, but most of them are cross-gen titles.

It is better than Xbox's situation, no doubt, but it's not crazy strong either. I'm excited for Miles Morales, but I'll be playing it on PS4 Pro.

Astro Bot is an exclusive and bundled game that's supposedly excellent.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

It is better than Xbox's situation, no doubt, but it's not crazy strong either. I'm excited for Miles Morales, but I'll be playing it on PS4.

I don't know, to me it seems like it's semantics. When it comes to next gen titles, I am most excited about Miles Morales, Demon's Souls - and even Sackboy. I consider these exclusives, the fact that people can play them on older consoles is great. But it doesn't change the fact that these are new games - not enhanced versions of games I already played.

Sure, you could say - well, 3rd party games are just like that - but the fact is, most of these games are not yet next-gen. Valhalla is getting a next gen update later this year. Cyberpunk is getting it next year. Miles Morales is coming out as a next-gen title now, with all the bells and whistles, DualSense support, etc. That's what I mean.

Again, I don't want to ruin anyone's fun - Xbox really seems awesome and I'm sure people will enjoy it a lot. But the launch situation is just not the same, whether you call the new Spider-Man exclusive or not.

Oct 27, 2017
doesnt matter if it's exclusive or not. Just a next gen game that isnt on old platforms as well.

On the xbox, you're right. It's literally on tetris effect connected, which isn't demon souls (which looks incredible) or even astrobot. That's two games. But just because something is on old hardware, doesn't mean it's value as a game gains nothing. Battlefield 4 was the thing I played the most on PS4 at launch and I found that to be a transformative use of the hardware at the time.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an awesome piece of kit, for sure. I won't be getting a Series X for launch, but probably will down the road after their first-party studios release some titles.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

The point is, even cross gen titles are releasing at the same time as the console. They are new titles, like BoTW was for Switch or what Halo should have been for Xbox (And you forgot Godfall).
So it makes a big launch line up for PS5, even if some of those titles are releasing on PS4.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I don't know, to me it seems like it's semantics. When it comes to next gen titles, I am most excited about Miles Morales, Demon's Souls - and even Sackboy. I consider these exclusives, the fact that people can play them on older consoles is great. But it doesn't change the fact that these are new games - not enhanced versions of games I already played.

Sure, you could say - well, 3rd party games are just like that - but the fact is, most of these games are not yet next-gen. Valhalla is getting a next gen update later this year. Cyberpunk is getting it next year. Miles Morales is coming out as a next-gen title now, with all the bells and whistles, DualSense support, etc. That's what I mean.

Again, I don't want to ruin anyone's fun - Xbox really seems awesome and I'm sure people will enjoy it a lot. But the launch situation is just not the same, whether you call the new Spider-Man exclusive or not.
Per your second point Valhalla is next gen because it loads much faster on the new consoles and plays much better due to the massive CPU upgrade, the two biggest "bells and whistles". The only thing Morales has that those 3rd party games don't is DualSense, which probably is indicative of how DualSense will be treated by 3rd parties in the long run, if HD Rumble on switch or Rumble Triggers on Xbox are any indication.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Next gen excitement aside, there certainly is value in upgrading not for a couple great looking next gen launch titles, but for the quality of life and performance improvements to dozens games you still play regularly.
I am still thinking of grabbing WD Legion though, looks like a proper next gen showcase at least.

Definitely. I'm looking forward to playing the possible best versions of the games I have/want, quick resume, and the reduced loading speeds. I'm disappointed there isn't a stellar Halo Infinite at launch, and was considering not getting the SX right away, but I doubt it's going to be any cheaper when Halo does launch anyway.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Per your second point Valhalla is next gen because it loads much faster on the new consoles and plays much better due to the massive CPU upgrade, the two biggest "bells and whistles". The only thing Morales has that those 3rd party games don't is DualSense, which probably is indicative of how DualSense will be treated by 3rd parties in the long run, if HD Rumble on switch or Rumble Triggers on Xbox are any indication.

Why is Valhalla officially getting a next gen patch later this year then?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tomwarren said it best couple of weeks ago. Lack of games at launch is weak and no one can say otherwise but if you come from a PC mindset, it doesn't matter as you are upgrading for more power, speed and next gen features.

yeah, but by comparison, your competition is kicking down the gate really strong with some impressive, NEW titles. Even if some
Of them are on ps4 as well. By that comparison,
Microsoft looks worse here.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, but by comparison, your competition is kicking down the gate really strong with some impressive, NEW titles. Even if some
Of them are on ps4 as well. By that comparison,
Microsoft looks worse here.

Did I imply otherwise? MS got the edge too in hardware and the insane game pass value.

We could go on and on why X is better or worse than Y but whatever you pick next week, you won't be disappointed.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
www.pcinvasion.com

Steam's August 2020 Hardware Survey is out and most still use GTX 10 Series cards

We don't often cover Steam hardware stats, but average user specs can be interesting, and let's just say the August 2020 survey shows RTX off.

People are still rocking quad core cpus @1080p. Just a quick google search.

Why MS made the Series S and why Tom's point about X makes sense imo. If you can't afford a shiny new PC in a global pandemic especially at the power this thing packs compared to what you get for $500, it's hard to beat honestly.

The same thing said by jschreier

But people keep linking the first two posts and ignore his third for console war BS.

Are you sure you are able to play the newest AC: Valhalla with an 760GTX? Valhalla minimum Specs state an 960GTX., Watch Dogs Legion has an 970GTX even. Point stands, even on 7 year old PCs you are not able to play the newest games.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
...People who owns PS4 has very little reason to consider an Xbox Series X even from the 'upgrade PC-like' mindset...
I mean, except for the most pragmatic of concerns -- money. Could I afford to buy a PS5 and spend $90 - $100 (CAD) on new games? Sure, but then I'm spending more than the yearly subscription cost of Game Pass Ultimate (at least for the upgrade path) *for a single game*. I loaded up on 3 years of Xbox Live and did the game pass ultimate upgrade so I've locked in 3 years of a boatload of games for the price of 2 games on the PS5 (new). My plan is to wait for two things to get a PS5: 1) Slim (or Pro....) revision, and 2) PS5 games to hit greatest hits so they're a reasonable price.

I plan to build my own dual 18" subwoofers + new speakers (drivers from parts-express, build the enclosures myself) which I would consider *far more* worthwhile than blowing the money required to play PS exclusives day one. Will I want to play them eventually? You bet. There's no denying that Sony has amazing first party studios. I just don't really give a damn if I play it now or in 3-4 years, and I'd rather feed my woodworking hobby than spend more on gaming.

Also, I've *always* preferred the layout of Xbox controllers over Sony. I hate the location of the sticks on DS controllers.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Using quick resume to switch from Yakuza/Monster Hunter/Peggle is going to be beautiful

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did I imply otherwise? MS got the edge too in hardware and the insane game pass value.

We could go on and on why X is better or worse than Y but whatever you pick next week, you won't be disappointed.

i never denied microsoft has better hardware, and no where did i say gamepass sucks. But as someone who has both systems pre ordered, im
More excited to boot up my ps5 for the first batch of games. Though my series x will be my go to fir third party titles because of the stronger hardware

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I guess I was mistaken. Officially it says both XSX and PS5 upgrades will be free when the updates are available. And I read earlier that they plan them "this year" - but maybe it's at launch. Ok, then, yeah, my bad.
No worries, all I'm getting at is the "Next Gen Exclusive" for both of these consoles, for me at least, is the performance. I am excited to play Demon's Souls though, for sure.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure you are able to play the newest AC: Valhalla with an 760GTX? Valhalla minimum Specs state an 960GTX., Watch Dogs Legion has an 970GTX even. Point stands, even on 7 year old PCs you are not able to play the newest games.

If fat weak ass Xbox One can manage somehow...

You can always play new games on PC but at what cost? That's my take.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Sexist and inappropriate commentary, prior history of similar behavior
So basically it is like getting a new girlfriend. Feels like an upgrade but fundamentally the same

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly i think it's a poor argument. If the last time you updated you rig on your PC was 7 years ago, there are absolutely games that you weren't able to play before your update.

But the point is that with consoles, right now the console you bought 7 years ago will play the same games.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Halo was a massive loss for launch. That aside, I am excited to be getting it (and ps5) at launch. The QoL changes, Gamepass and the fact that my 970 is starting to show its age makes this worth it. Come late 2021 early 2022 we will have a large drop of games coming out. All in due time.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Godfall being on PC is immaterial. Every Xbox first party game is going to be on PC as well. Will the console never be worth it at all then? Console and PC audiences are different.

Anyways I guess we can just agree to disagree

It apparently is material to a huge number of the discussions here including any that venture into peoples comfort territory so adding it seemed an apt inclusioin

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems a little bit lukewarm. A sense that there's no real reason to bother with one right now. Which I'd agree with. They need games...or at the very least needed halo.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Reviews going as expected, XSX overall feels like rectifying the mistakes of the X1 hardware wise by going for the most powerful hardware that looks good but in that regard also plays it safer which also ties in the fact that they're also streamlining generations so consistency between the generations is a must and that means not really much new exciting hardware features which usually wouldn't be a problem if MS had their software lineup/pipeline sorted for launch which is the largest significant grievance. Can see the perspective that it's rather unexciting for a completely new generation. My use for X is mostly first time getting into it, playing older games I've never had the chance to and for future games on GP and quick resume is nice.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
It apparently is material to a huge number of the discussions here including any that venture into peoples comfort territory so adding it seemed an apt inclusioin

That is really not relevant to a console user looking to upgrade though. Or at least not nearly as relevant.

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, the reviews as expected. Very little new to play but capable hardware that has a lot of potential into the future. When Halo shifted this was always gonna be an issue for those who are looking for the best 'new' thing that would blow them away. So then it seems gamepass and a strong back catalog as well as the hardware QoL over last gen Xbox are the main reasons to buy now. Its one of the reasons I've decided to wait on picking this up just yet and will see where it is in a year's time.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Obvious conclusions: great hardware, but they are clearly lacking big new games, and it will last for quite a while (Halo Infinite needs some time from what we have seen, delaying it was the best choice)

They need at least 1x more new AAA in 2021 (Forza?)

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
Seems a little bit lukewarm. A sense that there's no real reason to bother with one right now. Which I'd agree with. They need games...or at the very least needed halo.

Exactly, Halo or Flight Sim or both and this launch would be looking a whole lot different. Still, to launch at all this year and to have such a great design and all that power plus Gamepass behind it, it's not a matter of if I'm going to buy it's just when.

Flight Stick with Flight Sim for under $200 and I'm in, I'll easily drop $700 for a console Flight Sim setup. I'm dropping that for cross gen games with Sony.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is expected ever since Halo Infinite was delayed for launch. It's difficult to choose XSX over PS5 without a differentiator.

Also Astrobot Playroom is a killer app just for the Dualsense alone and it's free. Astrobot games are known to be good.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
A lot of strange, defensive posts here wrt the lack of software.
From the very beginning of console gaming, new machines have launched with new games that show off the new console, it has always happened and been expected till now so how on earth should it not be commented on in reviews?