• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
XboxSeriesXHERO.jpg
www.usgamer.net

Xbox Series X & S review: powerful, fast, but also very familiar

Are the Xbox Series X and S good? Here's a comprehensive review of the next-generation Xbox machines, from backwards compatibility to all-new features.
After a very weak generation, Xbox Series X is a solid rebound for Microsoft. It's very powerful, its backward compatibility is impressive, and Xbox Game Pass is second to none. That said, the Xbox Series X still lacks a true killer app—a consistent issue going back to last generation—and touted features like Quick Resume are currently disabled in some instances. We're definitely optimistic about the future, but it might be best to take a wait and see approach before investing fully in the Xbox Series X.
www.vice.com

The New Xbox Consoles Are Built to Eliminate Every One of Gaming's Hassles

The systems may not have new games yet, but that won't stop them trying to pamper you with your back catalogue.
The real test of the console will, of course, be the games that are made for it, but during the review window there was very little available to demonstrate what all this new hardware power is going to be useful for. Instead I had access to an extensive library of backwards-compatible games, and a small library of games that have already been upgraded for the new system.
www.vg247.com

Xbox Series X & S review: powerful, fast, but also very familiar

Are the Xbox Series X and S good? Here's a comprehensive review of the next-generation Xbox machines, from backwards compatibility to all-new features.
In closing, what's it like to live with the new Xbox consoles? Well, it's great. I revisited a bunch of games from three generations of video game history and found them improved and in many cases as good as ever. But nothing can quite beat the excitement of something in gaming feeling truly shiny, new and revolutionary. One of the greatest strengths of these machines is how reverent they are of the past – but at launch, at least, this focus feels to come at the loss of an exciting early glimpse of what the future holds for this new hardware.
www.gamasutra.com

news

news
An old axiom for a game consoles' potential success or failure is that 'it's all about the games,' meaning that no matter how advanced the hardware may be, it's the games--the experiences--that will sell consoles. That still holds true, but now it's also about how they're delivered, it's about value, and a next-gen console's success at launch isn't necessarily tied to an exclusive "killer app"--or at least that's what Microsoft may be hoping.
www.eurogamer.net

Xbox Series X review: next generation games machine, continuity console - or both?

Microsoft's new flagship console has arrived, and Digital Foundry is here with the authoritative verdict on Xbox Series X hardware. If only there was more new s
Ultimately, I believe that in Series X, Microsoft has indeed delivered an excellent next-generation system - but one that likely won't show its many strengths at launch. Part of that is down to the lack of first party titles that really put the new technology through its paces and another part is very much down to Microsoft's vision of a more gradual evolution in gaming as opposed to the generational, revolutionary shift Sony is aiming for with PlayStation 5. Publishers wholeheartedly embracing cross-gen development to an extent we've never seen before doesn't help the Series consoles in establishing them as a full-blooded generational leap either. In the here and now at least, I love the hardware in terms of what I can potentially experience with it and the expert implementation of many of its forward-looking features - but a console is defined by its games, and in that sense, I still feel that I barely know the machine at all.
www.gq-magazine.co.uk

The Xbox Series X (almost) completes Microsoft's console comeback story

Microsoft's latest and most powerful games console, the Xbox Series X, is great right now and will be even better in a couple of years
Series X is a step forward in console design. Microsoft's architects and designers should be commended on its size, form factor and the performance. It's slick, sleek and silent. It's really well priced for the punch it's packing. It's an achievement, but its potential is yet to be fully unlocked.
www.theguardian.com

Xbox Series X and Series S review: no-nonsense, next-generation gaming

They’re superfast, they’re frictionless and you get access to Xbox Game Pass. But not much else, from the controller to the interface, has changed – and launching without a single new game is just bizarre
Nothing about the Series X or Series S screams "buy me RIGHT NOW!" in my opinion, but equally, there's not much to criticise: they do everything they promised to do, and they do it well.
metro.co.uk

Xbox Series X hardware review – the new console where nothing is new

GameCentral gives its verdict on the Xbox Series X - but is the world's most powerful console something worth buying into straight away?'
Is the Xbox Series X a good console from a mechanical view? At this stage it doesn't feel quite as innovative as the PlayStation 5, but sure. Is there anything interesting to play on it? Yes, but nothing new. Is it good value for money? Yes, especially the Xbox Series S.
But the biggest question, of whether you should buy one or not, is much harder to answer and depends on your personal circumstances, especially in a year when many will be feeling the financial pinch. What we can say is that if you leave that decision till later then you won't be missing out on anything important at launch.

www.youtube.com

Xbox Series X Review

Ryan McCaffrey reviews Microsoft's latest (and most definitely greatest) console. Find out why it is a fantastic package of laser-targeted gaming power.
www.youtube.com

Forza Horizon 4 - Xbox Series X - 4K Gameplay

#ForzaHorizon4 Watch and download this video at 60 fps on Gamersyde : https://www.gamersyde.com/download_forza_horizon_4_forza_horizon_4_xbox_series_x_gamepl...
www.youtube.com

Sea of Thieves - Xbox Series X Gameplay 4K 60 FPS !

Gameplay Xbox Series X de Sea of Thieves en 60 FPS ! Xboxygen, 1er sur l'actualité Xbox en Europe. http://www.xboxygen.com/ Twitter : https://twitter.com/Xbo...
www.youtube.com

GRAND THEFT AUTO V loads REMARKABLY fast on XBOX SERIES X

Once the splash screens go away, the game literally loads story mode in a matter of SECONDS. Thanks again to Microsoft for sending me the Xbox Series X. Twit...

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is just the distraction I needed from the election today. Gonna dive into these.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
We're a finally this freaking close!! Hell yeah!

dippa

Oct 29, 2017
Another from Kotaku Australia:

If you're new to Xbox, you'll definitely find something to love about the Series X and its blistering performance, but if you already own an Xbox One X, there won't be a huge world of difference here. You might be better off sticking with your current gen console until the Series X really comes into its own.

Exclusives have been played down for this generation of consoles, but the lack of a killer app really is a blow for the Xbox Series X. Asking people to pay $749 for marginally better graphics and processing than a current gen console in 2020, when everyone is currently dealing with the financial impacts of the coronavirus, is an unfortunate challenge. Really, the timing couldn't have been worse, but you can never predict when a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic will hit.

(The $749 is the RRP in Australia, FYI.)

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Looks quite positive with the only real complaint being the lack of next gen only titles. Which we already know about and will change over time. And except for Demon's Souls it's not gonna be much better on Sony's system. That's the real issue of the launch this time. I feel like the last two generations did better.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Out of nowhere!

Everyone agrees that the hardware is great, but they need to play something really next gen to fully enjoy it.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
User Banned (2 weeks): Console wars, history of infractions for similar behaviour
Its a great console but... reviewing a new console without any next gen launch game is really weird.

If you have the money, go for it. But at launch, PS5 will be like 10x better investment, especially if you already own a Game Pass device.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Seems all the reviews come to the same conclusion, great fucking hardware but no real killer app to show it off

Darryn

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
It's pretty much Xbox One X 2.0, but the foundation MS has built over the last few years has become incredible and the end result is a console that gets you playing games quicker and more smoothly than ever before. Our review:

Xbox Series X review

Video

That you can play games better, smoother, and quicker than ever before while having full access to your personal legacy on Xbox Series X, makes for a console experience that comfortably transcends multiple generations. It's been a long wait for Microsoft to hit the reset button, but its new console proves that Xbox is finally back and ready to rock.

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
My review just went live over at Rocket Chainsaw and I gave it 4/5:

www.rocketchainsaw.com.au

Xbox Series X Review - An Evolution, Rather Than A Revolution

The Xbox Series X releases in just a few days to kick off the next generation of gaming, and it's an evolution, rather than a revolution.

At the end of the day, the Xbox Series X feels like the culmination of the vision Xbox and Phil Spencer set out to attain with the release of the Xbox One X. Everything works and to a high degree of quality, even if it's not necessarily the most exciting avenue to have taken.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Here's ours
powerup-gaming.com

Xbox Series X – Impressions of Microsoft’s Next-Gen Console - PowerUp!

There's nothing quite like getting your hands on a new console. If you've been playing video games for a large percentage of your life -- 31 of my 35 years -- a new console generation and new hardware bring out your inner child. When I got my hands on the monolith that is the Xbox

The Xbox Series X has the potential to be the defining console of this generation, however, it's far too early to truly know what the hardware is capable of, especially as we've not had access to any true next-gen experiences. When we do, I expect we'll be suitably blown away. Quick Resume is already pretty mind-blowing and once we start seeing what the console can really do we're in for a treat.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks quite positive with the only real complaint being the lack of next gen only titles. Which we already know about and will change over time.

Going in, given the amount of new technologies in these new consoles, that could almost be forgiven. The games are coming. The system itself is amazing.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
Its a great console but... reviewing a new console without any next gen launch game is really weird.

If you have the money, go for it. But at launch, PS5 will be like 10x better investment, especially if you already own a Game Pass device.
Demon's Souls doesn't interest everybody. That's the only PS5 launch exclusive.

Edit: Aside from Astro Bot, which is a short demo.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine for ACG- While a premium price especially in today's climate the Series X isn't just a step to a next version of the ecosystem its also a number of automatic improvements to games that is a pleasure to see.
www.youtube.com

XBOX SERIES X REVIEW - ALL FEATURES COMPLETE BREAKDOWN

Karak reviews the xbox series x after weeks with it behind the scenes. #xbox #xboxseriesx #acg Itunes https://rebrand.ly/ACGIT Spotify https://rebrand.ly/ACG...

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Reviewing the Xbox Series X as it stands today we're left with relatively little to say. It's the most powerful console ever made (in theory, there's no way to tell by playing any of its games) and yet it's been lurking under our TV for two weeks now and we've really not been sure what to do with it. Which is a very strange feeling given the release of a new console should be one of the most exciting experiences possible for a gamer.

Is the Xbox Series X a good console from a mechanical view? At this stage it doesn't feel quite as innovative as the PlayStation 5, but sure. Is there anything interesting to play on it? Yes, but nothing new. Is it good value for money? Yes, especially the Xbox Series S.

But the biggest question, of whether you should buy one or not, is much harder to answer and depends on your personal circumstances, especially in a year when many will be feeling the financial pinch. What we can say is that if you leave that decision till later then you won't be missing out on anything important at launch.

metro.co.uk

Xbox Series X hardware review – the new console where nothing is new

GameCentral gives its verdict on the Xbox Series X - but is the world's most powerful console something worth buying into straight away?'

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
The TL;DR I'm getting is: great hardware that doesn't have a killer lineup yet. May feel like an incremental upgrade coming from a One X.

As someone who hasn't owned an Xbox since selling my OG One in 2016... This all sounds fine to me.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to getting mine next week!

Demon's Souls doesn't interest everybody. That's the only PS5 launch exclusive.

This is me. I haven't cared about a From Software game since Lost Kingdoms 2, and Miles Morales is also on PS4. None of the 2 next gen consoles have a personal "killer app" yet as far as I'm concerned.

rafacamolez

Jan 3, 2019
Brazil
I'm really excited for it. I've been playing some Game Pass games on my ageing PC, so getting the Series X will be great to continue those experiences in greater resolutions and performances

h3ro

Oct 28, 2017

10x
10x
10x

developers developers developers

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

yup. As someone who is getting one just to "get it out of the way early", Im sitting here looking at my XB1X and feeling little to no enthusiasm about next week. Sure it will be neat to see some stuff with new framerates but launching without a single new game is... a strategy I guess.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
User Banned (5 days): Console wars, trolling
It's a shame they couldn't get Halo Infinite in time for this. It's pretty hard to ignore that they're launching a new console with only a Tetris game.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020

I don't have a Gamepass device. But, I do have a PS4 Pro that will play Miles Morales and Horizon 2.

Not sure how this 10x better investment thing works out for me.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Seems like what's been expected, great hardware with some cool features but the games are not there yet. Hopefully they will start firing on all cylinders from next year onward and this barren launch is just an indication of how Covid messed up their scheduling.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I've pre-ordered but I do think the lack of true next-gen games is a very good reason to hold off for most people. The PS5 will almost certainly be at an advantage until at least the Spring in that department. Crucially though Microsoft has delivered great hardware, has a clear vision and will eventually really start to challenge in the software department before the vast majority of consoles get sold.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a good console with no games yet. That we already knew. Looking forward to diving into mine and thankful I held off some Xbox one games to play on this now they have been upgraded!!

One thing though, why would quick resume be disabled in certain circumstances? Sounds weird.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Some gameplay of FH4 on Series X:

Car switch loading times are insane:

Oct 27, 2017
The TL;DR I'm getting is: great hardware that doesn't have a killer lineup yet. May feel like an incremental upgrade coming from a One X.

As someone who hasn't owned an Xbox since selling my OG One in 2016... This all sounds fine to me.
This. Sold my bone that year too, I'll pick up an X down the line when the games start to flow.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
Looks quite positive with the only real complaint being the lack of next gen only titles. Which we already know about and will change over time. And except for Demon's Souls it's not gonna be much better on Sony's system. That's the real issue of the launch this time. I feel like the last two generations did better.
Ratchet and Clank says hi.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

This is how I feel. This is more like getting a upgrade in hardware more then anything. Like buying a new TV

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Seems all the reviews come to the same conclusion, great fucking hardware but no real killer app to show it off
Yeah and it sucks that there isn't even a Ryse. Fortunately when you have the bc library and Game Pass, add in Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Dirt 5, Watch Dogs Legion, Black Ops Cold War, FIFA, NBA2K and Madden. There's no shortage of something to play.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Sounds about what I assumed. No real new games at the moment, and doesn't seem like a huge leap in innovation, but more an extension of the previous gen. All fine though. Still getting one day 1.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

Consoles also play last gen, crossgen, and current gen games. Series X also has its own launch titles as well. As for "10x better investment", the reason why I'm holding off on getting a PS5 is because consoles are NOT investments. The PS5 is going to have better exclusives long-term, and when I play Demon's Souls in 2022 or whatever, I'll likely do it for a much lower price of entry.