• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
It copies across the contents of RAM right? And we can assume there is a certain amount of the SSD reserved for these save states. A Series X game uses up to 13.5GB of RAM, an Xbox One game uses up to 5/ 9GB of RAM (S vs X) and a 360 game uses up 512MB. So if it can hold 3-4 Series X games then it can hold a few more Xbox one games and a shit load of 360 games.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it is going to be 4 to 5 games so this definitely exceeded my expectation. Why does it feels like Microsoft is hitting every right note this time?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't even a lunatic here that needs 12 games running. That's impressive.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't MS say a specific number for next gen quick resume games when they briefly showed it off earlier this year? I thought they said 5. Why would it be variable now?

/edit: I was thinking about this video:
Link
They didn't say a number and only showed current gen games... I was thinking of the list of five games in the UI and thought that was the limit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Should have had this tech in the 360 era but I will take it now

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Impressive but wouldn't be very useful to me personally as I only play one game at a time. I can understand the appeal though.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
This is super impressive. It will be fun to see how many the PS5 can do just for the sake of comparison, but I can't imagine me hopping around 12 games.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'd probably use 2-3 at most, but damn that's far better than I expected regarding BC.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Mentioned this in the other thread, but apparently this is a huge feature exclusive to Xbox Series. Not even PC has this kind of feature yet, and until announced, it's doubtful PS5 does too. Hopefully this starts to make it a norm though?

I'm the type to hop around many games, so this will be SUPER nice to have.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
What happens when you hit the limit? Do you get a warning, or does it just silently drop the last game state (or least used?)?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how it visually represents this. (When it reaches the limit, and if there is an option to clear this.)

Does it 'wear out' the drive somehow, or not since it is not mechanical?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Wow! Damn, I was expecting around 4 and still thought that was awesome.

And I'll probably only ever use it for 2 games or never lol, but that's pretty great.

I doubt I'll ever use more then 3 or so either, but it's nice that you don't have to worry about it all. If it was more limited it would kind of defeat the point if you were regularly thinking "Oh wait, will suspending this end one of the other games I have on Quick Resume?"

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is one area that console has a really nice advantage over PC next gen, very impressive even if I'm not sure it'll be all that useful for my own personal playing style.

Slightly OT regarding PS5: Has Sony confirmed if we can quick resume BC games on PS5 too or just new gen games?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
That's cool and all, but who switches between 12 games lol? I usually have Warzone and then one or two single player games that I play at any given time.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's fucking awesome. Most Series and PS5 buyers are going to be playing a ton of BC games for the first year or two and especially Game Pass members. 😉

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
The nice thing about Quick Resume is that you don't need to use rest mode. It'll save your state even if you completely power down your console and unplug it from the wall. When you next turn on your console you can just boot right back into where you were before without needing to go through cold booting the game and going through the title screen etc.
Yeah, that part sounds great... I would just need to stop doing what I've trained myself to do for years now, which is make sure I've saved and quitted out properly so there is no chance of anything getting lost. lol

My comment was more to do with having multiple games in saves states and jumping between them, again I'm probably stuck in my old ways but I usually play 1 story based game at a time and even if I were playing another title alongside it I can't see myself switching between the two mid play as I feel that would just be disruptive to my experience.

I'm not personally imagining using this all that much, I very rarely have more than one single player game on the go and multiplayer games won't handle it well in general. But I could imagine having something like Tetris just always there ready to go while I'm waiting for friends or matchmaking. Presumably the biggest bonus with this is going to be for homes with multiple gamers.
The multiple people using the system is a interesting point that I never thought about, good shout.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Absolutely incredible. Definitely not a feature to shrug at - gen z has already been trained for software to run this way. Can't wait to try this out myself

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Mentioned this in the other thread, but apparently this is a huge feature exclusive to Xbox Series. Not even PC has this kind of feature yet, and until announced, it's doubtful PS5 does too. Hopefully this starts to make it a norm though?

PS4 already had a resume feature single game at the time. So it should have something similar in PS5.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The first sentence says the minimum for next gen games should be 3-4. I've edited my post but I'm still wondering why that number would be variable. You'd think they would lock that down to a fixed number per generation.
It would be cool if they asked you what suspended game you wanted to "kick" if you reached the limit and wanted to suspend another game.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
This is one area that console has a really nice advantage over PC next gen, very impressive even if I'm not sure it'll be all that useful for my own personal playing style.

Slightly OT regarding PS5: Has Sony confirmed if we can quick resume BC games on PS5 too or just new gen games?
Haven't confirmed it but we assume it can, they've been so tight lipped we don't even know how much BC games take advantage of ps5 at all, do they even load much faster for example? They should but we want to know.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

its doable on PC

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
That's genuinely pretty fucking great. I'd kill for something like this on PC, amount of times I'll be playing one game, hop into another with friends (after I've made them wait while I finish what I'm doing and can save), then go back to my old one once we're done that I've got to boot up from start. Quick resume would be so good there.