• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
i can see sony having an issue since there drive is most likely there own drive since its supposed to the fastest ssd ever

I don't think Sony will have an issue manufacturing expansion drives based on whatever custom tech or stack they're using. Nor MS for that matter, if that's the route they're taking.

Yup, I doubt they will have a standard port that "should work" with any random SSD you can buy because they need to guarantee a minimum performance on all storage so that games work as intended.

Maybe partnering with the big brands to release PS5/XSX compatible versions of their usual SSDs is the only way of keeping prices down, because if they make it proprietary with Sony/MS selling them it is likely that they will be more expensive.

SSD is still expensive so I doubt the new consoles will come with plenty of space, an upgrade in storage is probably going to be a lot more likely for user than it is now and has been in the past.

Hardware performance aside, if the software stack required goes down to the level of firmware, there'd need to be access there also that a standard drive won't necessarily give. Assuming a stack that goes down to the firmware level, if not beyond with custom hardware, the 'best' you could hope for would be partner providers with a list of compatible drives that both meet raw hardware performance requirements, and can take custom firmware. But they might be also quite happy to just manufacture and sell their own only.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Shouldn't we declare this rumor for now? Thread title reads a bit like a confirmation.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
CFExpress is used for cameras. This is likely only for the prototype. I'd be very surprised if this is included in the final XSX.

These cards are very expensive. They use PCIe 3.0 over NVMe and can deliver up to 4GB/sec. But I really doubt consumers will get them. Seems...really really weird/awkward.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
CFexpress is PCIE basically, in a more cartridge like form factor. It can run NVMe since this is just a protocol running on PCIE transport.

This is actually a better way to do this than creating a proprietary slot for storage expansion.

But CFexpress is very expensive right now and used mostly for high end cameras. ($600 for 512GB)
While having a single form factor makes it easy to swap in and out, wouldn't making an M.2 NVMe attachment still be easier and less expensive if you're allowed to pick your own NVMe? (1TB is $150)

I supposed using CFexpress cards does guaranty a uniform speed but it might as well be a proprietary with its high cost.
It could be MS wants guaranteed speeds and thinks customers dont mind spending event $400 for 512GB if the prices go down.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are prices for such drives ?
I have 10tb and 2 left only on my one X 😅

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I was wondering if that was what that slot was used for. I could see Phil giving the details of that port to other manufacturers to get them on board with manufacturing cards for that.

I thought we had a developer saying it's a port for debugging or something?
If it is pci it could technically do both.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
So will they sell Xbox branded SSDs that only fit in the Xbox Series X? Like they did on Xbox 360? I would be fine with that, if it's not too expensive.

serveimage

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Good thing and I hope he can use any of the SSDs that fit there requirements and not proprietary.

Also wonder if this allows a 512 GB version to save on BOM.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think people can forget about these SSD's running at 5-6gb/s if that's some sort of nvme port, nvme's that run at that speed get hot as fuck.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Sony will have an issue manufacturing expansion drives based on whatever custom tech or stack they're using. Nor MS for that matter, if that's the route they're taking.
i was mainly referring to price but i didnt mention that in my comment. i just remember when they had vita cards and how over priced those where

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

Hardware performance aside, if the software stack required goes down to the level of firmware, there'd need to be access there also that a standard drive won't necessarily give. Assuming a stack that goes down to the firmware level, if not beyond with custom hardware, the 'best' you could hope for would be partner providers with a list of compatible drives that both meet raw hardware performance requirements, and can take custom firmware. But they might be also quite happy to just manufacture and sell their own only.

They certainly will be happy to sell their own. Profit margins on branded drives will be nutty. Curious to see how this shakes out, but I'll be buying a compatible one regardless.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
With the way it's just a hole, it doesn't seem like a bare SSD drive will fit snugly in that thing. Likely a proprietary SSD with an enclosure will go in there.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I think people can forget about these SSD's running at 5-6gb/s if that's some sort of nvme port, nvme's that run at that speed get hot as fuck.

unlike PCs, the console will be designed around optimal cooling for the SSD. Easier to design around issues when you're working with known, fixed hardware.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
With the way it's just a hole, it doesn't seem like a bare SSD drive will fit snugly in that thing. Likely a proprietary SSD with an enclosure will go in there.

That slot is about the same width as a regular M2 stick, which is the format plenty of NvMe drives use.

Here is one in a caddy, they are tiny now.
Orico-Nvme-M-2-To-Type-C-Ssd-Enclosure-Case-M-Key-Transparent-External-Usb-3.jpg_q50.jpg

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I said exactly this when the leak first hit! I'm positive that's what it is.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
That slot is about the same width as a regular M2 stick, which is the format plenty of NvMe drives use.

Here is one in a caddy, they are tiny now.
Orico-Nvme-M-2-To-Type-C-Ssd-Enclosure-Case-M-Key-Transparent-External-Usb-3.jpg_q50.jpg
Yea that's what I mean. It looks perfectly sized for an M2 drive but not really? Enclosures don't come in standard sizes so people can't just go out and get one for this and use their own M2 drive.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it was first shown we tried to do some math to see the exact size and stuff and did come up with m2 in a slotted holder. I am sticking to that guess.

That port doesn't leave much room for cooling, besides, there is no magic cooling in consoles, RROD/YLOD existed.
Technically that port is exactly where it should be for a pulling fan with an already cooled slot. Meaning it will be set up to cool that slot whether it is used or not.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That port doesn't leave much room for cooling, besides, there is no magic cooling in consoles, RROD/YLOD existed.

RROD happened, Yes...and Microsoft overcompensated for that in their next few console hardware designs.

nobody is talking about 'magic cooling'. It's possible to design a console around cooling an inserted SSD.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yea that's what I mean. It looks perfectly sized for an M2 drive but not really? Enclosures don't come in standard sizes so people can't just go out and get one for this and use their own M2 drive.

Perhaps there will be an "official" accessory, but is like to hope the interface is standard and you can use any SSD / 3rd party enclosure

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
can't wait for the inevitable 29.99€ custom enclosure. jk aside, that's good news
I suspect the drives will be sold specifically for the system. Same for PS5.

Remember the patent regarding cartridges filed by Sony? I bet it's referring to expandable storage carts.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect the drives will be sold specifically for the system. Same for PS5.

Remember the patent regarding cartridges filed by Sony? I bet it's referring to expandable storage carts.
I thought the cartridge patent was debunked completely and turned out to be gaming cartridges for something else. I could be wrong. They addendum'ed that patent at least once.

This was the last update I saw
[Update 21/11] The recently patented Sony cartridge is not an expandable SSD storage cartridge for the PS5. Instead, it's a game cartridge for Sony's new portable TOIO system.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It will be for a NVMe drive in a proprietary enclosure / design so you can't just use any spare NVMe drive. Expect high pricing...

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I hope neither of them decide to go proprietary with expandable storage. Thought we had got over this with this gen and standardised storage...

It would be nice to see NVMe PCIe Gen4 used but I doubt it, though support for it at least rather than an installed SSD would be great...

ps3ud0 8)

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine a situation where this is used to expand storage for games to be played off of a higher speed drive whilst you can still attach an external usb hard drive to store games but only for moving them across to the higher speed drives (i.e. you can't play a game straight off of the usb storage).

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think at the least BC games should be allowed to install on any external drive you want. I've got a 2tb external SSD for my PS4 games.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the USB tech in the SXS won't be fast enough to keep up with the SSD, so think expansion slot is a must

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we arent forced to waste precious SSD space with stuff like video captures, etc. We should be able to use generic HDDs through USB for that stuff

Proprietary is almost guaranteed for game storage though, since they can take a hit on hardware price and make up for it with expensive proprietary storage solutions

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
That's neat. Hooking up a regular usb storage device is going to be a way less enticing thing when next gen is running off SSDs. The speed disparity will be too large. Having a port that can offer faster speeds when adding more storage is super convenient as long as there isn't a big premium when buying supported formats.
USB3 can handle some rather fast speeds, so "normal" SSD is totally viable with it, but NVMe, if it is indeed happening on the XSX as well, would need a different connector for sure. The best you can get on a USB type A connector is 10Gbps, and that's ideal not realworld.
When it was first shown we tried to do some math to see the exact size and stuff and did come up with m2 in a slotted holder. I am sticking to that guess.
Yeah, I wish we could have gotten a more internal look at the pins, as it wouldn't be difficult to just have it be an M.2 slot with an extension cable of sorts going to the actual device.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the cartridge patent was debunked completely and turned out to be gaming cartridges for something else. I could be wrong. They addendum'ed that patent at least once.

This was the last update I saw
[Update 21/11] The recently patented Sony cartridge is not an expandable SSD storage cartridge for the PS5. Instead, it's a game cartridge for Sony's new portable TOIO system.
Oh, I stand corrected then. I still think Sony will take the same approach. USB won't cut it. It'll have to be internal solution like this.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
It looked like Compact Flash Memory slot but this isn't far from it.

What if it is a completely new tech that we don't know about it. Lol

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like it's gonna be a caddy that you can stick a NVMe drive in.

I don't see Microsoft going with any type of proprietary solution from this, wouldn't make any sense.
Sure it would make sense. NVMe drives come at different performance levels and Microsoft would want to control the minimum performance since there is likely an expectation from the developers. Making a proprietary solution allows Microsoft to control what can be put in the system and makes it easier for consumers to know what works and what doesn't.