• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
Has anyone got a "Invalid Format" error from the Xbox Series X on a LG OLED when playing games or watching videos from the Xbox Series X? I have been getting these errors recently. Has anyone else got these errors as well?

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Yup, since launch. Had a few where it goes black while playing a game, but it mostly happens when trying to watch Blu-rays.

I still have no idea how to fix it

dseed

Oct 27, 2017
Have the same tv. Turning off instant game response and turning it back on usually fixes it for me.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Series X and CX here, haven't had any issues between both devices yet (knocks on wood).
There's one annoying issue with my CX though, sometimes when I'm watching Netflix it will randomly switch to the last used HDMI input even though no device has been turned on, it's fucking annoying and afaik it only happens with Netflix for now. Maybe I should reinstall the app.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's true that HDMI 2.1 cables are way more fickle than previous versions. A lot of the early ones just don't reliably do 4K 120hz because they came out before anything actually was able to output in 4K 120hz. They weren't properly tested for it, because they really couldn't be.

Go either Monoprice or at least make sure to get a certified 2.1 cable from Amazon like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0919GTQS9/

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I never had this issue AFAIK, and I dont know if it has to do with Atmos, but I had to do some research on AV forums for how to even enable Atmos on an LG CX

This could be related to sound or the HDMI cable, input.

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes when I turn on the console before swapping inputs I get that error.

A couple of times the console has reverted to 640x480 output. Restarting the console fixes it.

I haven't had it when swapping games or during gameplay. Just when turning the console on. I use power saving mode.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I have had this issue. I sent my SX in, and they reset everything, and it still happened. What changed it for me was a new C1. I had a blue vertical line showing on my C1, so I had to exchange it. Once I got my new C1, I have not had this problem. I got the TV when it was first released. My new C1 has a build date of November 21.

The main problem is a faulty handshake somewhere. I changed cables, only to be left with the same issue. The flickering in my case was 100% of the time, and occasionally, I'll receive an "Unsupported Format" message from my panel when watching YouTube TV or YouTube. When this message was seen, I had to turn off the TV or console.

Here is what I think is happening. I believe there is an EDID read failure happening from the OS side. I believe it is an EDID read failure due to circumstances that follow the failure. For instance, when the failure occurs, often, the console will fall back to 640x480. From my experience, this is due to the OS failing to read the EDID correctly, and the GPU resorts to 640x480 to project an image despite the read failure. Also, when this failure happens, you cannot change the resolution, which indicates a read failure.
u6m53PY.png

In the image below, none of the 4k settings are checked in the console's menu, so this could mean that none of the panel's information was passed to the console to set the modes correctly. If settings aren't displayed correctly, that means the system could not read the EDID to know what settings it supports.
CaBziPO.png

Since I changed C1's, I have not had an issue. I'm using the same cable setup that was initially failing. I'm not entirely sure what changes, if any, went into the new C1's. I'm sure they are using the same TCON, but some slight modifications could have happened.

Last edited: