• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PS5 outchea showing games 4k with ray tracing reflections with no slowdown Xbox Series X will do all that and then some. GT7 60fps with rt reflections, God Fall as well. I haven't seen a game run at 60fps with rt reflections on a 2080ti.
So you havent seen control ?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So, 8MB of L3 cache for the CPU, that's a lot for a console.

Did the CPU in the Scorpio Engine SoC for Xbox One Xbox really have 1MB L3 cache or is this (and PS5) the first time that consoles have had any L3 cache at all?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Nearly every building block will have register files for local storage. They just added all of them up, including that tiny 256x8bit register file in the PCie SIP (made something up for an example). Register files are not just for traditional or general purpose caches.
In the low KB range for each instance.

As I said in a different post, I think it's the coherency and hw acceleration blocks responsible for most of it.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
MS will have an "SSD chip" too. Or you think that they'll somehow make the SSD work without a controller?

Their SSD is very small, I thought they use something like BG4, but in a PCIe v4 version

Not Found | KIOXIA

BG4 is a integrated controller and NAND into one chip

they use this as their controller
Can this fit with four NAND chips on that small board used both internal and external?

Found this that kind of confirms it, but it could have changed from prototype to release HW...
www.sweclockers.com

Microsoft Xbox Series X får SSD-lagring över PCI Express 4.0

Innan Microsoft avtäcker detaljerna runt Xbox Series X visar läckta bilder utbud av portar och SSD-lagring över PCI Express 4.0.

Guess they could put controller on one side and 4xNAND on the other to keep it small.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Xsx better gpu 18%
Xsx better raytracing by 17%
Cpus about same
Ps5 better assets streaming and io speed 125%
Xsx better ram till gpu needs more than 10gb for game then ps5 better in that

Where this 17% RT number came from?

Also, even at more than 10GB for games the XSX RAM BW will still be higher than the PS5.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
They make the same margins if they sell a game on PC.
The Profit comes from their services. No way they'd take a 200$ hit on a console like some are suggesting.
They make most of their money from the Xbox store sales: DLC, digital games, etc. Of course they still want to sell as many consoles as they can.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They make most of their money from the Xbox store sales: DLC, digital games, etc. Of course they still want to sell as many consoles as they can.

What I've been saying still stands: those who think Microsoft wants to aggressively undercut sony with the series X will be dissapointed. They will be competitive and probably be a little lower.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Where this 17% RT number came from?

Also, even at more than 10GB for games the XSX RAM BW will still be higher than the PS5.
For AMD the RT tech is in the CU's. MS has more CU's so they will have more RT grunt. However it's comparable to the difference in GPU power so the PS5 will probably have a lower resolution on both sides and perform pretty much the same.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Their SSD is very small, I thought they use something like BG4, but in a PCIe v4 version

Not Found | KIOXIA

BG4 is a integrated controller and NAND into one chip

Can this fit with four NAND chips on that small board used both internal and external?

Found this that kind of confirms it, but it could have changed from prototype to release HW...
www.sweclockers.com

Microsoft Xbox Series X får SSD-lagring över PCI Express 4.0

Innan Microsoft avtäcker detaljerna runt Xbox Series X visar läckta bilder utbud av portar och SSD-lagring över PCI Express 4.0.

Guess they could put controller on one side and 4xNAND on the other to keep it small.

The more recent NAND packages can feed 2 or even 4 channels from a single chip, they're BGA with a very high pin count, and can have stacked dies. So I wouldn't be surprised both the internal and external implementations are effectively the 5019T controller with only 1 or 2 NAND chips.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It should definitely prevent the CPUs from stalling as much compared to the Jaguars. I was hoping for 16MB but I knew that would be a stretch when Microsoft revealed the size of the die earlier this year.

It's likely that anything more than 8MB is in diminishing returns territory for gaming. Otherwise we would have seen 16mb and a 370mm2 chip.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping gamers Nexus does a video to break this down.

This is making me thing the console is going to be expensive

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
This quote from Tom's Hardware is something I think we need to keep in mind going forward. The SOCs are costing more even though they're on smaller processes. We're no longer at a point were a smaller process means cost savings.
if that's the case how long will it take for savings to kick in with mass producing the chips? i forsee both the ps5 and one x staying at the price they launch at for a really long time. well except if one is more expensive than the other then we might see black friday sales to match it.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I believe Nvidia said in DF Minecraft RTX coverage they are working on an AI based denoiser too.

Does MS also work on that matter? Do you have sources for that? The more people work on that, the better!
github.com

DirectX-Graphics-Samples/Samples/Desktop/D3D12Raytracing/src/D3D12RaytracingRealTimeDenoisedAmbientOcclusion at master · microsoft/DirectX-Graphics-Samples

This repo contains the DirectX Graphics samples that demonstrate how to build graphics intensive applications on Windows. - microsoft/DirectX-Graphics-Samples

Though I think that I was mistaken about the denoiser being ML based.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
It's likely that anything more than 8MB is in diminishing returns territory for gaming. Otherwise we would have seen 16mb and a 370mm2 chip.

Possibly, although the desktop equivalents have 32MB, which to be fair is enormous. The benefits might have been there but costs probably came into it.

In any case it's a massive improvement on Jaguar, as I said.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
For AMD the RT tech is in the CU's. MS has more CU's so they will have more RT grunt. However it's comparable to the difference in GPU power so the PS5 will probably have a lower resolution on both sides and perform pretty much the same.
The FP32 and RT performance will not scale in a similar way. RT will have a significant advantage when compare to FP32 from the 44% more CUs.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
A lot of people are saying 599 is too much given the BOM. But this time around it seems to be that both manufacturers have spent a lot of money on R and D and development of the architecture. Sony in particular with their cooling solution and all custom SSD solution, they have to recoup that money somehow the BOM might be 450-500$ but there is an untold amount that will be from all this work they are doing.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They make the same margins if they sell a game on PC.
The Profit comes from their services. No way they'd take a 200$ hit on a console like some are suggesting.
This is objectively wrong.

First, they don't only sell games on Windows Store, they also support Steam.
Second, they get 0% of revenue for third party games sold on Windows.
Finally, they get no revenue from Gold on Windows (this may be going away, but it is still true right now).

OP
OP
chris 1515

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The FP32 and RT performance will not scale in a similar way. RT will have a significant advantage when compare to FP32 from the 44% more CUs.

RT scale with CU and frequency

fqvK7bgMNGxQdNKNnHKZHQ-650-80.jpg.webp

It is 18% more Tflops and 18% more power for RT. 4 Texture or ray ops per clock and per CU.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
I have no idea about hardware. I understand more CU's = higher ray tracing performance, but how does the clock frequency affect ray tracing hardware in RDNA2?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I think im leaning towards $599 on this...........xbox is going for an ecosystem not most systems sold. If the lower end model is true they have no need to have it be insanely cheap as they would have something that does that already for entering the ecosystem.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Certainly impressive. Their hardware always looked amazing on paper, they just need to prove it with killer software. Halo was a miss, but I have faith in the other xbox studios to deliver.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I have no idea about hardware. I understand more CU's = higher ray tracing performance, but how does the clock frequency affect ray tracing hardware in RDNA2?
I am not knowledgeable in this area, but here would be the math:

xbox is at 1825 mhz, 52 CUs

playstation is at 2230 mhz, 36 CUs

4 ray ops per clock per CU

for xbox:

1825*52*4=379600

for playstation:

2230*36*4=321120

xbox over playstation = 379600/321120 x 100 = 118.2%

So, all said and done assuming real life performance follows theoretical, xbox is 18% faster in RT performance. Again, I am not an expert at all in this, but the math seems simple enough.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
In the low KB range for each instance.

As I said in a different post, I think it's the coherency and hw acceleration blocks responsible for most of it.

There are so many of these small memories, and the blocks they are included in get multiply instantiated. I think you'd be surprised at how it all adds up.

And yes, I expect there's a bunch of it in the blocks you mention, as well.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
That's some assumption to make really.
No, it isn't.
The SoC has 2.5 the amount of transistors the X SoC has.
If you use that factor for the size you come out @ >900mm², that is a huge chip, ofc such a monster would be far more costly.

MS say SOC is more expensive than Xbox One and Xbox One X. Moore Law is ok with density scaling but not the cost. RAM will be more expensive too and SSD is more expensive than a HDD.
Reread what i wrote.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
The thing is that with AMD RT performance gets affected by other things besides the clock frequency. In RDNA2 the TMUs either do texture work or BVH checking and ray intersections so besides the clock frequency it will depends on which TMUs are free to do the RT calculations, therefore in a perfect scenario 18% will very likely the minimum difference you will see and the difference will vary depending on the application.

OP
OP
chris 1515

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
No, it isn't.
The SoC has 2.5 the amount of transistors the X SoC has.
If you use that factor for the size you come out @ >900mm², that is a huge chip, ofc such a monster would be far more costly.

Reread what i wrote.

At the end the most important things the SOC cost more than the one in Xbox One X at release. It was 367 mm2 and here it is 360.4 mm2. What is interesting is the cost by mm2 and it is higher on 7nm than 16nm. RAM cost a bit more too, Storage cost much more, double motherboad cost more. At the end the Xbox Series X cost much more to produce than Xbox one X and maybe the MSRP will be 599 dollars.

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This quote from Tom's Hardware is something I think we need to keep in mind going forward. The SOCs are costing more even though they're on smaller processes. We're no longer at a point were a smaller process means cost savings.

$599 looking more and more likely for both next gen IMO.

I even wouldn't be totally shocked to see like 649 PS5, 549 PS5 DE (599 xsx)

also, series x is a beast!

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
?? Ratchet, Spiderman, Pragmata and GT7 have ray traced reflections. GT7 has reflections at native 4k 60 fps.

next gen will be fine. devs will figure out ways to utilize it without incurring massive performance hits.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of it but looks to more like it'll be targeted. The games wont just be bathing in ray tracing. Instead certain key things might be, and we'll love it.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$599 looking more and more likely for both next gen IMO.

I even wouldn't be totally shocked to see like 649 PS5, 549 PS5 DE (599 xsx)

also, series x is a beast!

it will be the biggest surprise of the gen if ps5 is more expensive

I'm sure we'll see plenty of it but looks to more like it'll be targeted. The games wont just be bathing in ray tracing. Instead certain key things might be, and we'll love it.

yeah, that was expected from the start. some rt effects, not fully raytraced complex games

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is objectively wrong.

First, they don't only sell games on Windows Store, they also support Steam.
Second, they get 0% of revenue for third party games sold on Windows.
Finally, they get no revenue from Gold on Windows (this may be going away, but it is still true right now).
Microsoft takes a 30% cut of all game sales on the xbox/windows store game store on pc.

Apps sold on the windows store, microsoft takes a 5% cut. Look it up.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Again people keep trying to equate series X cost with what Sony is doing. Everything on the ps5 screams cost savings (the controller BOM should not be that more expensive than the DualShock), even the I/O controller, shit Cerny even hinted at the cost savings when mentioning the reason they went with the ssd final number. XSX will definitely be expensive, the series S will be the cheaper model, not sure why that's being argued or why ppl keep trying to drag the ps5 to be 600 too

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft takes a 30% cut of all game sales on the xbox/windows store game store on pc.

Apps sold on the windows store, microsoft takes a 5% cut. Look it up.
That's pretty much irrelevant, third party games don't sell on Windows Store. You're like really grasping at straws here. It is easy to see how Microsoft makes more gaming money on consoles than PC. And it's exactly what insiders have spoken about.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
What is interesting is the cost by mm2 and it is higher on 7nm than 16nm.
The cost per mm² never went down with a new fab process, what went down was the cost per transistor, because you could cram more of them into those mm².
And yes the the cost per mm² keeps going up, because it gets more and more complex, but i already said that in my OG post, that's why i asked you to reread it:
"The difference now is that the process is more complicated and thus more expensive than 16nm was, meaning you don't have the same cost reduction as before."

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
VRS, SFS, programmable audio acceleration (they say the HW acceleration is > ability of all CPU cores of One X), new texture filtering, 2:1 texture compression acceleration with support for higher ratio lossy, AI inference acceleration

They give 10-30% perf improvement with VRS, 2.5x usable ram with SFS, texture filtering has improved processing/storage overhead and more precise... and well.... AI while they don't really talk about it (talks about resolution scaling) it can lead to a decent increase in perf if they opt to use it for resolution scaling even though AI has far more interesting applications instead of using it for brute force perf increase

it finally is confirmed they have dumped a lot of money into audio acceleration... finally for the first time since the original Xbox MCPX they have entirely offloaded their audio stack from the CPU. finally good audio and finally room for the CPU to do important shit.

They really did a lot in every area.