• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it's a really nice idea, of course for those who are visually impaired but also for anyone who puts cables in without looking.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Good news, also super useful when reaching behind to plug/unplug XSX cables when it's in your entertainment center.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the ports themselves already more of an indicator then the dots? Never knew blind people could manage to play games. Are there any tools to make that happen?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't the ports themselves already more of an indicator then the dots? Never knew blind people could manage to play games. Are there any tools to make that happen?
Not that useful when even I a seeing person has plugged usb sticks into the ethernet port of my laptop. Also, it's extra and doesn't cost anything. Why not

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think this is really handy for anybody. Who here hasn't fumbled behind a console struggling to find the specific port they're trying to plug the cable into??

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
It is touches like this that really make me appreciate all the effort MS is doing in the last few years since Phil took over the division.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely feel some dots. This is not braille lol
Then I completely fail to see the point. What are dots doing that the shape of the hdmi slot can't do? How does it help against putting the wrong cable into a port, you gonna memorize the corresponding dots in the off chance you'll need to change cables ... what?

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's a really nice move that I hope others will follow.

As with many accessibility features, it helps a much wider audience than it seems to superficially. It turns out this is really common: curb ramps, originally intended to help wheelchair users at street crossings, turn out to be valuable for bicycles, deliveries carried on dollies or carts, parents with strollers, and plenty of other examples. In this case, these tactile labels are a godsend not just for those with limited eyesight, but also anyone who fumbles with cables from awkward angles and can't see the ports but can feel them.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think this is really handy for anybody. Who here hasn't fumbled behind a console struggling to find the specific port they're trying to plug the cable into??
Yep, this is a really great design decision in general that needs to become standard. But it's particularly cool that it was a focus in acessibility that lead them to this.

OP
OP
Captain Wreckus
Oct 27, 2017
You can be partially sighted and struggle with small text or high frequency detail.
Blind doesn't just mean totally lack of vision.
100% true. I'm mostly blind in one eye and have a hell of time reading text that is really small on the TV or computer monitor. Hell, light green font can be a pain in the ass to read for me.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Then I completely fail to see the point. What are dots doing that the shape of the hdmi slot can't do? How does it help against putting the wrong cable into a port, you gonna memorize the corresponding dots in the off chance you'll need to change cables ... what?
You never tried to plug something into something else after feeling around and finding that you mistook the port? Really?
This helps everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't plug the cable without removing your hand from the port, which can lead to some awkwardness, but you can plug the cable while keeping your other hand over the corresponding shape to guide yourself.

I have to imagine you've never been in this situation, because it's very immediately obvious how much useful this is to anyone who did this more than once.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Maybe the cables that ship with the console have the corresponding dots.

I can't ever "feel" the orientation of an HDMI cable and believe me, I have tried repeatedly. I can't imagine how hard it must to find things as hard as that for even the most trivial things in life.
This is certainly a better option than doing nothing at all.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the cables that ship with the console have the corresponding dots.

I can't ever "feel" the orientation of an HDMI cable and believe me, I have tried repeatedly. I can't imagine how hard it must to find things as hard as that for even the most trivial things in life.
This is certainly a better option than doing nothing at all.
Cables with corresponding dots is legit.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Props to Sony with the PS4 for putting the ports in angled surface so it's impossible to tell without looking where the hell you're meant to plug things. I've had the console for over 3 years at this point and still gotta check every time I unplug the HDMI.

Oct 27, 2017

"It's not a complete solution but we'll see how it does & learn."

It's almost like it's not a complete solution and that the team will see how it does and learn...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Definitely a helpful thing. Even for the people who can see trying to hook stuff up.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
How do you know what port "two dots" even is? If the cables have them too, then this is genius. Otherwise I don't see the point.
Assume you'd probably look close at it first, and then feel for the bumps once it was in the cabinet and you were reaching around, trying to find the right port by touch. My current setup is nice and bright and open, but I've had issues figuring out which port was which in the past, just due to the room being dark and the working space being small.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
That's really damn great. Especially since I will find this useful as well as someone who isn't visually impaired in this way. How many times have you reached behind the console because you either couldn't be assed to pull it out or just couldn't without unplugging a bunch of stuff from it?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
But how are you going to play videogames if you're blind?

A lot of people aren't out and out blind but are seeing-impaired. It's why having as many accessibility options in games is a good thing, because there's a spectrum of people with different levels of impairment.