• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean the Series S will have around 303GB of storage for games? So basically you can install 2 CoDs and that's it.

Series S looking like a worst deal than the Series X by the day.

It really is, I just don't see the value outside a specific use case. You can price literally anything attractively if you make enough compromises, and the S makes too many in key areas, IMO.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Sucks but what can you do, I'm worried about Series S and PS5 too now, ssd prices can't drop soon enough.

At least we gain quick resume because of it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting ggx2ac who made a good explanation from another thread -

Nope.

1TB isn't in binary.

It's roughly 931GB which is what the XSX reads.

Then IGN reported there's only 802GB of usable space.

I am guessing the 129GB of storage being used up is not only for the OS but also for Quick Resume which is how games get to be swapped quickly and retain memory even after the console is on standby.

Btw... PS5 storage space will be roughly 768GB read from the console before OS takes up any storage space.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think they would build these things with more storage if they want people to go digital, but I guess that's why they are happy to sell you proprietary storage solutions.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Maybe it's also empty storage for not filling up the SSD to the brink. I think I've read that you should keep a SSD at no more than 80% filled

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bode well for the PS5 or XSS, but if this is the price of much faster storage and the ability to boot, resume, and swap games quickly...

...whatever it takes.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is perfectly normal especially when factoring in quick resume stuff?

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Not sure about XSX but PS5 will use 4 lanes of the custom 12 channel memory controller connect directly to the PCIe 4.0. WIth
optimizing data streaming and no seek due to SSD, the install sizes will possible be lower than current gen.

These sizes may still allow for more installation space then current gen due to this

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Someone calculated it out in the other thread, and if it has the same functionality and stuff as the Series X while using roughly the same space, it'd probably be closer to like 550

At worst if the PS5 has the same OS allocation as the XSX it will have 630GB free. If it has similar allocation as the PS4, it will have 700GB free.

Oct 30, 2017
I almost half expect to see next gen COD+Warzone or some other ambitious game to be ~300+ gigs.

Definitely we need some extra storage.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
1htemhh633r21.jpg

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how bad it will be on the PS5... Whatever, I have a 5TB external drive I use on my PS5 now. I will just use it for cold storage now. I don't plan on expanding my internal storage on my PS5 for at least two years. On Xbox I won't do it at all since I am only playing exclusives.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Is the PS5 SSD confirmed to be 820gb total or just usable?

It would be HILARIOUS if one of the few times Sony's been transparent about its system were them reporting actual usable space on their storage. Which is why I think that's 825 total.

Quick Resume.

Its not all OS.
Quick resume. Basically a big hiberfil.sys for the PC equivalent

That occurred to me after posting it, which I hope it is, but also... if it's not... oooof.

X1 used 130gb as well

Really? I was sure actual used space is more than this.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I agree, but companies aren't open about this. They advertise as 1TB/825GB/500GB.

Oh I agree with that 100%. I remember installing my first replacement HDD as a teenager and thinking it was defective because "It's not showing all of the gigabytes it's supposed to" lol. It's super damn frustrating that storage manufacturers can legally advertise 1TB of space knowing full damn well it works out to 931GB after formatting.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
If ps5 is 700+ then ms messed up

Xss can be 300range which is a joke for real
no prob not.

Xbox OS is pretty larger overall Last Gen the Xbox OS was 138GB vs 93 GB for the playstation. XSX OS is actually smaller this time.
I don't think it will be much better unfortunately. The OS needs to reserve space for Quick resume (which literally copies the RAM to the SSD of up to 3 games) and Video capture (which is usually up to 30 min of footage actively stored).

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
At worst if the PS5 has the same OS allocation as the XSX it will have 630GB free. If it has similar allocation as the PS4, it will have 700GB free.

I expect it to be closer to 600 GB, because I'm sure Sony is doing the same thing as Microsoft by reserving a portion of the SSD to be used as a cache for quickly switching between games.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
So considering the Series S has a 512GB SSD, we're looking at around ~330GB of storage for an all digital console?

Yikes, you're going to need more storage incredibly fast.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it will be much better unfortunately. The OS needs to reserve space for Quick resume (which literally copies the RAM to the SSD of up to 3 games) and Video capture (quick is usually up to 30 min of footage actively stored).
interesting, Im really curious about Sonys solution on resuming. because since their SSD is twice as fast it may not need as much information to hold to resume the games quickly.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

I was going off someone else's claim that PS5 would have roughly 768 GB before OS and files and stuff (and if it takes up similar space it's be closer to the 550-560 range). That may not be accurate, though.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I was going off someone else's claim that PS5 would have roughly 768 GB before OS and files and stuff (and if it takes up similar space it's be closer to the 550-560 range). That may not be accurate, though.

It is quite far from accurate. The XSX allocation is ~130GB, you do that math. 768GB before OS allocation on the PS5 is correct as is 931GB on the XSX.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Damn. Also, am I the only one underwhelmed by those load times? 38 seconds for RDR2 is still a freaking lot, you'd think it'd be faster with that SSD and IO solution.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
If it is 100GB reserved for Quick Resume, maybe it will give you the option of not using the feature in exchange of gaining that storage back?