• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be nice to see actual Series X games and not just BC. I understand that most games are still being finished these days/weeks, but still... Have we seen actual Series X/S games being played on a console?

On the cnet preview they say that you have to be careful with the quick resume, since it can fail (at least right now) when you have too many games opened at once.
Don't think they said it can fail. They said there's a limit to how many you can have suspended. Once you pass that limit, the first game is removed, and so on.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If the Quick Resume takes space from the SSD I hope I can disable it on PS5, as weird as it sounds lol It seems liek you can with the XSX?

I tend to play 1 game at a time only and next gen load times are enough to me.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Everything seems good so far. The one question that remains is how it handles physical xb1 games.

Can it install from the disc? or is it a download?

Good News is it such be fairly quick to transfer from your old external HDD to the internal SSD.

~10 mins for 50GB.
That's pretty quick. The
Any word on external ssd to internal?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes, but it is unclear if that is a base 825 GBs drive, or if the end user usable space is 825 GBs. That's why we have to see the retail units and for people to get their hands on them before we know for sure. :)
While that's true, it'd be a unicorn event that anyone would undersell their specs like that by using the actual free space metric instead of the theoretical size of the drive. It's very unlikely that they mean that imo.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Man, some of you guys just don't understand how this works

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Yes, but it is unclear if that is a base 825 GBs drive, or if the end user usable space is 825 GBs. That's why we have to see the retail units and for people to get their hands on them before we know for sure. :)
Didn't they say it was 825 gb total space before any sort of os reservation? I believe that number was due to some requirement of their io stuff.

That and it would be very odd for them to say 825 gb if the drive is indeed 1 tb. I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer list a driver's size as the actual space available to the end user.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
i thought it was base, due to the memory chips used or something (i forget the specific term, digital foundry would've mentioned it)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Isn't the resume function already standard?

Is there something new at work here?

My super basic and NON-EXPERT interpretation of this situation is:

Since these SSDs are so fast with their data transfer bandwidth speeds, games now basically suspend on SSD storage (pretty much exactly where they're stored) and then can be recalled rapidly to even faster RAM, which is how they resume so quickly and efficiently.

While before, games were stored in a limited space of lower-speed RAM, and would have to try to quickly realign its asset stream with the slower HDD to continue play. It's now effectively much faster between the SSD and the new higher-speed RAM in these new systems which is why multiple games can be stored and recalled quite quickly, whereas the old resume pipeline was relying on slower speed RAM that had to "resync" with slower speed HDDs.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Nope.

1TB isn't in binary.

It's roughly 931GB which is what the XSX reads.

Then IGN reported there's only 802GB of usable space.

I am guessing the 129GB of storage being used up is not only for the OS but also for Quick Resume which is how games get to be swapped quickly and retain memory even after the console is on standby.

Btw... PS5 storage space will be roughly 768GB read from the console before OS takes up any storage space.

Do we know if Sony is just listing the usable space at 825GB or drive size as 825 as reckon they probably have a 1TB in there but only have a useable space of 825GB and advertising that from the start?

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Current gen Xbox has Suspend/Resume but that is only in that play session generally and limited to a 2-3 games at a time. Quick Resume seems to be saving current state even after restarts and updates according to one of the preview videos and is also able to capture across 6-7 games.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
How is Quick Resume any different than putting the system to sleep (legit question)? Is it just to swap between running games quickly?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
802GB is better than the 781GB on Xbox One X.

God This is such a massive upgrade in terms of quality of life.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

gnqHhmE.png

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So I've loaded up my external HDD with games over the years on my One X. Does anyone know if I'll be able to directly unplug that from One X and into the Series X USB port and have it work? Or do I need to clear it out and redownload everything directly?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Jeff Grubb compared a usb external SSD to the internal SSD. Series X does a much better job using the io on an ssd you might already own compared to current consoles.

Also shows that the loading time bottleneck is the game itself rather than the SSD. Next-gen games should be more impressive.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Current gen Xbox has Suspend/Resume but that is only in that play session generally and limited to a 2-3 games at a time. Quick Resume seems to be saving current state even after restarts and updates according to one of the preview videos and is also able to capture across 6-7 games.
thats neat.

most impressive.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Everything seems good so far. The one question that remains is how it handles physical xb1 games.

Can it install from the disc? or is it a download?

That's pretty quick. The
Any word on external ssd to internal?

Yeah Games beat did a test with AC:O on a bunch of different arrangements.

AC:O is 49GB and the results are below (so 2.5 minutes to answer your question):

"

Here's the data in minutes and seconds:

• Moving Assassin's Creed: Origins from external USB 3.0 SSD to internal SSD: 2:18.53
  • From external USB 3.0 HDD to internal SSD: 7:46.03
  • From internal SSD to external SSD: 04:33.10
  • From internal SSD to external HDD: 10:36.78
"

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
All these QoL improvements are cool, but kinda disappointed that we didn't see any XSX content.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
How is Quick Resume any different than putting the system to sleep (legit question)? Is it just to swap between running games quickly?

it's so that you can swap between 5 different games around 5 seconds each time

technically it's dumping the ram each time you do it so it's kind of like putting the game to sleep

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Do we know if Sony is just listing the usable space at 825GB or drive size as 825 as reckon they probably have a 1TB in there but only have a useable space of 825GB and advertising that from the start?

Don't think a console/phone/laptop manufacturer has ever advertised usable storage. I don't think people should get their hopes up that 825 GB is the usable rather than the pre 1000 - 1024 conversion.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting HYPED for seeing Digital Foundry's coverage on this.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
it's so that you can swap between 5 different games around 5 seconds each time

technically it's dumping the ram each time you do it so it's kind of like putting the game to sleep
I see. Seems kinda useless to me, since I generally focus on one game at a time. If I can disable it to get more HD space, great.

Mar 8, 2018
While this true, 200 GB is way more than I have ever seen. Like way, way more. I've never used a SSD, though, so I have no idea if that factors into it, but only having 800 GB out of 1 TB is legit shocking. As others have said, maybe there's more for these specific units, though, and actual retail units won't have as much space. That's the hope, at least.
Quick Resume saves game states to the SSD, so there's probably a big chunk reserved for that

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not even comparable features. Quick Resume allows you to quickly switch between multiple games and pick up right where you left off. Current-gen consoles don't have any functionality like that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

You can quick resume up to 7 games at once, so those games just hang in suspended state presumably over days or weeks as long as you don't hard reset the console.

QUick resume for 1 game was like my favorite feature from this generation, and it still amazes me to launch into a game and pick up exactly where I left off with no significant loading, etc. So this over multiple games is just gravy for me. I often play RDR2 on the weekends, but might only have time to quickly play a game like MAdden or CoD during the week, so being able to have multiple games stored in state will be a good quality of life improvement.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I see. Seems kinda useless to me, since I generally focus on one game at a time. If I can disable it to get more HD space, great.
austin evans mentioned you can disable it... but it's unknown if that gives you the space back at the moment. (it wasn't mentioned)

that would give you about 65 GB back on XSX and 38 GB back on XSS if it does

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was originally thinking of running all of my PS4 games from my external but the load time hype got me thinking...

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
The quick resume allows you to switch between up to five game save states at once. Before it would work like this: open game 1 and play, open app 1, return to game 1 and it picks up exactly where you left off, open game 2 and play a little, now you can go back to game one, but rather than picking up right where you left up it will have to reboot the game and you have to wait for menus and loads to get back to where you are.

With the new quick resume, you can have the exact same scenario but be able to return to game 1 exactly where you left off, and the ability to do this with five games simultaneously.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting bit in the samred article. (https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/xbox-series-x-hands-on-the-big-back-compat-dive-begins/)

In a surprising twist, this happens whether the game in question is installed on the console's built-in NVMe storage (which is required for next-gen content) or on an external USB 3.1 drive (which can store and boot last-gen games).

I knew next-gen games required the new SSD solutions, but I didn't know you'd be able to do Quick Resume with BC titles on an external (USB 3.1) drive.

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You can quick resume up to 7 games at once, so those games just hang in suspended state presumably over days or weeks as long as you don't hard reset the console.

QUick resume for 1 game was like my favorite feature from this generation, and it still amazes me to launch into a game and pick up exactly where I left off with no significant loading, etc. So this over multiple games is just gravy for me. I often play RDR2 on the weekends, but might only have time to quickly play a game like MAdden or CoD during the week, so being able to have multiple games stored in state will be a good quality of life improvement.
Apparently you *can* hard reset, since the state isn't being held in RAM.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
These comparisons have really made me realise how slow some load times are at the moment. Really impressive stuff.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Reminder that we now have confirmation that reviewers now have cyberpunk installing. Hopefully more previews on that game and actual next gen games not far behind.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot mentioned that they tested Monster Hunter World, with their preview stating "These have all been smooth gameplay experiences, nothing too unexpected or drastically different from the Xbox One X in terms of performance so far". If Monster Hunter World had no improvements, it would be far from smooth, as that game fluctuated with a targeted 60 fps in all modes. This is my most wanted BC coverage. Did any other previews cover Monster Hunter World?