• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming Quick Resume's functionality requires a lot of SSD space to be locked away. That's the only way I can see that much space being dedicated to the OS.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Some ppl act like they have never purchased stand alone storage before, a new console, etc. lol

Good to see these vastly improved load times.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man those framerate gains with DOA. Is that what we can expect from last-gen games? Because framerate is king.

Seems logical. It will vary a little bit game to game but Microsoft has built an absolute beast of a system with backwards compat in mind. Series is very much bringing the performance gains pc people are used to seeing when playing old titles to the console space.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
EjAYQkbUcAAoFVw

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
For people complaining about the usable space on these machines, they need to look at how disk space has been advertised over the last several decades. Disk manufacturers do not use the 1024 base multiplier in their advertising, but instead use a flat 1000 multiplier.

This means that on a drive that they advertise to be 1 TB, you are not getting 1024 GBs for that, but instead 1000 GBs. Move that through all the multipliers, and in the end you are actually getting about 930 GBs of usable space on a disk. If you take away some of that for caching, an OS partition, the low level hypervisor, backwards compatibility VMs, and similar, you end up with a much less usable space than the 1 TB that is advertised.

This is not valid only for these new consoles, but basically, every storage device that has been released in the last few decades. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. :)
it sucks that you had to explain this lol.. this should be known by now by almost everyone that uses phones, pcs, etc..

McFly

Nov 26, 2017

This is why Jim Ryan said 99% and not 100%. My bet is this will be ironed out by launch.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
So there is in fact a whitelist of some sort on the OS level then?

Probably. We're testing "non-final" hardware so I can't 100% say yes.

Bruh no one talks how the auto-HDR works and if is good in the articles, I guess I will have to watch all the videos.

It's in mine: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/xbox-series-x-hands-on-the-big-back-compat-dive-begins/

I'm hopeful that Xbox Series consoles eventually offer a per-game toggle option, instead of making it a universal one, because when it works in older software, it's a fun surprise—especially the explosion-filled, bike-balancing madness of the original Trials HD.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Everytime I hear that price for SSD storage expansion card I cringe. That is the main mistake I can see from MS right now. 1TB damn son

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is why Jim Ryan said 99% and not 100%. My bet is this will be ironed out by launch.

I mean, Gears 5 is on that list because it's being optimized for Series X|S so there will most likely be no "BC" version. It's just not ready to show yet.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
For people complaining about the usable space on these machines, they need to look at how disk space has been advertised over the last several decades. Disk manufacturers do not use the 1024 base multiplier in their advertising, but instead use a flat 1000 multiplier.

This means that on a drive that they advertise to be 1 TB, you are not getting 1024 GBs for that, but instead 1000 GBs. Move that through all the multipliers, and in the end you are actually getting about 930 GBs of usable space on a disk. If you take away some of that for caching, an OS partition, the low level hypervisor, backwards compatibility VMs, and similar, you end up with a much less usable space than the 1 TB that is advertised.

This is not valid only for these new consoles, but basically, every storage device that has been released in the last few decades. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. :)

While this true, 200 GB is way more than I have ever seen. Like way, way more. I've never used a SSD, though, so I have no idea if that factors into it, but only having 800 GB out of 1 TB is legit shocking. As others have said, maybe there's more for these specific units, though, and actual retail units won't have as much space. That's the hope, at least.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

Exactly. In fact I don't think advertise harddrive space has every meant total usable space on any console

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We started with access to 494 bc games. Then on Friday night, another *500* were added. Buuuuuusy weekend for us Series X testers.

My Ars piece (linked earlier) includes charts and some game-specific results. Monster Hunter World in particular is a beast.

Bravo for this photo for obvious reasons btw

IMG_1137-1440x808.jpg

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe they are still on embargo about that feature.

Tbh I don't think any of these outlets that are posting previews (except maybe df) have any expertise in that. I think EvilBoris commented awhile back it was good though?

Because of the way that it works, it will work great on most content.
I have no doubt that there will be outliers which look plain weird.
I imagine some of the bloom heavy games of the 360 era might be tricky ones, but for games with a degree of control over brightness, even that will be solvable.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should be prepared to spend on extra storage if you plan on holding a lot of games. I'm definitely going to have an external SSD for BC games.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
While this true, 200 GB is way more than I have ever seen. Like way, way more. I've never used a SSD, though, so I have no idea if that factors into it, but only having 800 GB out of 1 TB is legit shocking. As others have said, maybe there's more for these specific units, though, and actual retail units won't have as much space. That's the hope, at least.

It's not really 200 GB less space though. The disk itself has 930 GB of space, even though it is advertised as 1 TB. You can actually verify this if you buy any random 1 TB drive from any manufacturer and connect it to your PC. You get930 GB of space with nothing on it. :)

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this makes me want to do external ssd's for cold storage and older games - but if you look at external ssd prices you almost might as well buy the xbox nvme cards they are so expensive

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Probably. We're testing "non-final" hardware so I can't 100% say yes.

It's in mine: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/xbox-series-x-hands-on-the-big-back-compat-dive-begins/

I'm hopeful that Xbox Series consoles eventually offer a per-game toggle option, instead of making it a universal one, because when it works in older software, it's a fun surprise—especially the explosion-filled, bike-balancing madness of the original Trials HD.

Project Cars 2 locked at 4k60 in that vid caught my eye. Very nice.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legit shocking lol

Its for quick resume