• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am loving what they're showing for BC performance; however, they really need to show how fast the SSD is with XSX native games.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
smh at people still thinking loading times will be gone come next gen.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed. Loading times don't scale linearly with HDD/SSD speed and that's a narrative that's been pushed here for months. It won't matter whether a game is "optimized" for next gen or not there are other hardware, engine limitations and design elements to consider beyond just "Next Gen SSD Speed/Previous Gen 5400 RPM HDD Speed = New Gen Loading Time"

Hell, I'm going to predict right now that there will be developers who decide that an infrequent loading screen on a low difficulty game that runs to 1 minute plus is worth it to push other elements of the game as far as possible.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
what I want to know is since Series X has HDMI 2.1 will it play backwards compatible games in 4K 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:2? Also Xbox had that gamma bug where game were a bit darker has that been fixed.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

Microsoft is probably just using a whitelist to ensure that the people with preview consoles need to focus on certain games at different times. In this case, it seems they want us to see how Xbox Series X|S improves the experience for games not even designed with the systems in mind. This shouldn't be taken to represent actual compatibility.

May 25, 2019
London

This is the info I've been waiting on. Transferring a 49GB from the internal SSD to external USB3 HDD took 10 minutes. Transferring it back took around 7. Much better than having to re-download it.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Where is the gameplay lol.

also where is the boot up, shutdown, suspend resume etc. ALL the shit gamers care about.

SSD is fast, sheessssh we get it already.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That snappy UI is glorious.

Watching Grubb going from various games with quick resume, to Apps & Games, filter some shit and going to the store, and everything being almost instantaneus feels like magic, specially thinking on how dreadful that process would be on a One X.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I do appreciate MS's confidence in the system - not to say Sony isn't confident in PS5 - I just find it refreshing that MS is like 'here it is; we know it's awesome.'

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Not waiting for games to load for minutes is one thing. Having multiple games ready to play in seconds and resume where you left is the real kicker here. I will love it

Hopefully FROM fixes their fucking "you lost your connection to the servers" nonsense with the next game :/
Is the quick resume feature going to work on disc games? I think it should since the game is installed on the ssd so you should only have to put the disc in for the license check. Still more of an annoyance and may force me to go all digital. I need that quick resume!

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is the info I've been waiting on. Transferring a 49GB from the internal SSD to external USB3 HDD took 10 minutes. Transferring it back took around 7. Much better than having to re-download it.

those internal/external ssd times make me all but give 2 shits about the price of Microsoft's external solution.....because I'll be more than happy spending few mins moving games around

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Gears 5 and Forza (Horizon 4, at least) makes sense, as they probably don't want people to mistake the XBO builds for the "Optimized for Series X|S" builds, if they're not available yet.
So, if you're not connected to the Internet, you can't even play a disc version of the game you might have for Xbox One?

What?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Any hands-on previews of non BC titles? I mean there is so much you can do for older titles. Some of the loading titles listed are still too long.

We need to see some next-gen footage...

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Especially if you can start it without it being fully copied like PS4 downloads\install does.

Surprised to see so little difference between external SSD and internal drive.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
So, if you're not connected to the Internet, you can't even play a disc version of the game you might have for Xbox One?

What?

What?

These aren't final hardware, they're for press and influencers to make content with and then send back to Microsoft. Presumably, they're white-listing software for these specific units.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Interested to know what the load and menu times are for Destiny when compared to current gen with an SSD.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
These passive enhancements are great. Sekiro finally being 60fps on console. Load time improvements are actually beyond what I personally expected. Damn.

Yeah, I'll spring for an Xbox Series X as soon as I find one now. I was originally content to wait, but since I actually do use Game Pass quite frequently, I think the passive improvements to those games might still make for a better-than-average launch window experience, considering the backlog of Game Pass games i'm interested in is presently quite extensive.

I also hope the passive improvements are just as dramatic on PS5!

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
For people complaining about the usable space on these machines, they need to look at how disk space has been advertised over the last several decades. Disk manufacturers do not use the 1024 base multiplier in their advertising, but instead use a flat 1000 multiplier.

This means that on a drive that they advertise to be 1 TB, you are not getting 1024 GBs for that, but instead 1000 GBs. Move that through all the multipliers, and in the end you are actually getting about 930 GBs of usable space on a disk. If you take away some of that for caching, an OS partition, the low level hypervisor, backwards compatibility VMs, and similar, you end up with a much less usable space than the 1 TB that is advertised.

This is not valid only for these new consoles, but basically, every storage device that has been released in the last few decades. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. :)

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people are going to be disappointed. Loading times don't scale linearly with HDD/SSD speed and that's a narrative that's been pushed here for months. It won't matter whether a game is "optimized" for next gen or not there are other hardware, engine limitations and design elements to consider beyond just "Next Gen SSD Speed/Previous Gen 5400 RPM HDD Speed = New Gen Loading Time"

Hell, I'm going to predict right now that there will be developers who decide that an infrequent loading screen on a low difficulty game that runs to 1 minute plus is worth it to push other elements of the game as far as possible.
Except we have Ratchet and Clank and Demon's souls showing load times being near to none for loading in entire levels.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong the improvement is massive, but I was expecting sub 10 second loads.
You will get that with native games that expect the SSD to be there. Last gen games both use old APIs and also need to load enough data for a huge part of the level.

A next gen example of how SSD can influence design is if you fast travel to a city in a game you could spawn the player in a building almost instantly and then load the rest of the city data needed in the time it takes to walk the 5 steps to the door.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
We started with access to 494 bc games. Then on Friday night, another *500* were added. Buuuuuusy weekend for us Series X testers.

My Ars piece (linked earlier) includes charts and some game-specific results. Monster Hunter World in particular is a beast.
So there is in fact a whitelist of some sort on the OS level then?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Damn, the new UI looks so good and so fast on the Series X. MS definitely made the right choice by not starting from scratch.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit early to have a first hands-on with the console if the only thing they could show is the most basic of backward compatibility. These games haven't been tweaked or patched to take advantage of the better hardware. Though, I'm not sure how many games will actually do that.

So they are all pretty much showing that older games load faster on the Series X. Which is nice and all, but these load times aren't particularly mind-blowing. To me, these comparison stats are mostly just showing how abysmal current load times are and that the Series X is finally able to bring it down to acceptable levels.