• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a tiny indie dev, it's not a first party game.
A highly intensive game playing at native 4K and 120fps? Maybe if it was very linear but don't get your hopes up.
There's zero chance a graphically intensive game can run at a native 4K 120fps on the XBO. This is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I do like my graphically intensive games. Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud and hoping at the same time. It'll be good to see some series X exclusives regardless.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Let's hope this leads to other devs finally showing off their next-gen games too 🤞🏽

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Weren't these the guys that were selling all of their IP & the entire company for only $1 a few months ago?

Their last game flopped badly and the CEO admitted that releasing only on Xbox was a mistake.

Not releasing on the Switch and PS4, both of which have sold 80 times more consoles in Japan than Microsoft, was a serious misstep on my part. Had I done so, it's very unlikely I ever have to write this press release

That fact that only 5 months later they're back with another Xbox exclusive is an interesting choice.

Edit: lol I just saw the gameplay video posted above. It literally is shovelware. Are people seriously getting excited over this lmfao. Good lord.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Overwatch 2, Fortnite, R6 Siege & COD MP with 120hz updates is going to be nuts. I think I'll upgrade my monitor 120+hz and leave my tv for 60hz cinematic experience games.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is up with people NOT wanting high framerates in games??

I can't wait to see what is accomplished.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Weren't these the guys that were selling all of their IP & the entire company for only $1 a few months ago?

Their last game flopped badly and the CEO admitted that releasing only on Xbox was a mistake.

That fact that only 5 months later they're back with another Xbox exclusive is an interesting choice.

Edit: lol I just saw the gameplay video posted above. It literally is shovelware. Are people seriously getting excited over this lmfao. Good lord.
That bodes well for this game if it's been in development less than a year.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This is false, Only one tv can do 4k 120 fps the C9 and no one can test it because it is a HDMI 2.1 feature. Some tv can do 1080p 120 fps from a PC but it limited.

the last 2 years of LG OLed are 4K 120hz, the year before that did 120hz 1440p, as for most the Samsung TVs from the same period

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
Stupid question, is there a point to 120 FPS on console? Aren't TVs generally limited to 60HZ and i thought FPS was intrinsically tied to that?

Yes
There are people that own TV's that can take advantage of 4K 120 FPS so XSX should at least support it.
People are more likely to purchase a console if it takes advantage of the nice features their premium TV offers.
There are also a bunch of people that want to upgrade their TV's and will be looking for a console to take full advantage of it.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The nice thing about 120fps is that you can't really tell if the framerate is going down until it goes well below 90fps. So any game that's targeting that is going to look as smooth as glass on the right display.

Frametime variance is smoothed out as well, since the frames are coming out so fast. That's why I believe that multi GPU setups are still viable at high (100+fps) framerates.

Jul 4, 2018
Damn this sounds pretty dope.

I wonder how many people are going to have displays that make full use of this but I guess it's somewhat future prof as a cool tech demo in Gamepass for when people do get their new TVs if nothing else.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question, but are most 4K TVs already 120 FPS-capable? I am not buying another TV anytime soon.
It's an HDMI 2.1 feature—though some recent 2.0 TVs also supported 120Hz at 1080p or 1440p.

The nice thing about 120fps is that you can't really tell if the framerate is going down until it goes well below 90fps. So any game that's targeting that is going to look as smooth as glass on the right display.
Couldn't disagree more with this. It's just as distracting as drops from 60 to me if it's a fixed refresh rate display.
I'd rather play at a locked 60 than unstable 120, unless it's on a variable refresh rate display.

Sep 24, 2019
How do they want to show that?

Neither YouTube nor Twitch handle this resolution / fps combo afaik.

Also a lot of screens of people viewing that won't be able to handle it either.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Is this their first ever game? Can't find anything about them online.
edit;

found them:

store.steampowered.com

Pirates of First Star on Steam

Pirates of First Star is a puzzle adventure game where you'll have to explore and battle to solve the great mystery of the First Star treasure.
"no user reviews"

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
It was 60fps, for 2 eyes.

It still refreshed at 60hz.

Thanks for the correction. Love your work by the way. How about PSVR game(s) at native 120fps?

On topic though, I think there will be a few games on both systems that will run at 120fps during launch window. Digital Store games, and of course Xbox's huge list of older BC titles.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This is the worst time to be revealing visually impressive games, what with everyone lowering the qualities of video on their sites (by everyone I mean YouTube where most people will see any of this)

What a bummer

Jan 4, 2018
This is the worst time to be revealing visually impressive games, what with everyone lowering the qualities of video on their sites (by everyone I mean YouTube where most people will see any of this)

What a bummer
Not trying to sound mean, but this game probably won't be very visually impressive. Also, you can still watch in HD on YouTube, you just have to manually switch to it for each video.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

What a bummer

YouTube just sets the default to SD, you can still change it to HD and higher. Definitely a pain in the ass and something I see a lot of people not thinking to change.