• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the person implicitly meant not as skilled as Sony first party, which I don't think is too crazy a statement considering the latter has reviewed better during this gen. However, that's ignoring the fact that MS first party has expanded a lot and hired many talented devs since the middle of the generation.
Sure, what Sony studio can go head and shoulders with Obsidian in the RPG department? Unless we're only talking about cinematic games here.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
Some of the reactions in here are funny, how did some of you get "not gonna be a massive leap"?

The things I have seen people scream for this entire generation and even last gen was, higher frame rates, no screen tearing, no more loading times, more first party.

That's exactly what they (PS5 included) are going to make happen this gen with the technology.

Look at LOU2 as a prime example, it already looks ridiculous, but now add 60fps constantly, more assets available on screen, no loading times, more Level of detail and at 4K native.......I would take that any day of the week.

Also give it time and games will get better looking.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox series x to support VR confirmed? I think MS should partner with Oculus since they are already going to be working with Facebook Gaming.

edit

Maybe he means vr since he is talking about frame rates.

Nah he is saying the visual delta will be smaller and that things like frame rate and latency will be the major improvements. This is definitely not true for console VR, as visuals are going to make a HUGE leap on PSVR thanks to asset streaming improvements and increased GPU power.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It means that even if you give an average football/soccer player a new shiny kit, new fancy ultra light boots and a new top of the line ball for he to play with, he's not gonna magically turn itself into a Cristiano Ronaldo or a Lionel Messi.
so in other words you just made up some BS assumption about the talent of all 15 dev studios at XGS?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It means that even if you give an average football/soccer player a new shiny kit, new fancy ultra light boots and a new top of the line ball for he to play with, he's not gonna magically turn itself into a Cristiano Ronaldo or a Lionel Messi.
Your analogy doesn't make sense, because the studio is the Team, the player the developer and the shoes are the tools. If you give a team more funds they can get better players/devs and improve the team/studio. That's what Microsoft has done and they got a lot of veteran developers for different teams from Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, ... .

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thats the weirdest analogy i have ever seen for a studio.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France

It's a weird analogy though. Ronaldo and Messi are incredible footballers on a individual basis mostly, while developers (in the sense "teams of developers") heavily rely on tools, budget, resources, time, outsourcing, management...

There are more or less skilled individuals obviously, but even then you have to take into account the fact that many of them just move around studios. At least for XGS, the amount and quality (i.e. track record) of "individual" talents joining any of these studios over the past few years is impressive. Not saying it's a game changer, but it's something you have to take into account and something that makes this kind of statement and comparison a bit pointless.

Stormblessed

Feb 21, 2019
Obsidian and Inxile bring something to the table that PS as it currently stands can't match. RPGs. Which is pretty interesting imo

XRoute

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User banned (1 day): console wars, prior warning for console wars
Your analogy doesn't make sense, because the studio is the Team, the player the developer and the shoes are the tools. If you give a team more funds they can get better players/devs and improve the team/studio. That's what Microsoft has done and they got a lot of veteran developers for different teams from Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, ... .
They got the ones who were on the bench.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I would be all for this. I want to see better gameplay and interaction with game worlds, not fancier graphics.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They got the ones who were on the bench.
seasonedgaming.com

Former Lead Combat Designer on God of War Joins inXile Entertainment

One of the most celebrated games of the past generation was without a doubt God of War. Released in 2018 to universal acclaim, it proved that a complete

www.gamespot.com

Red Dead Redemption, GTA 5 Veteran Joins Microsoft's New Studio

Microsoft's new studio, The Initiative, brings on another big name.

They hired a lot more veterans and some of them had lead positions. But sure they were just from the bench.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all really arguing with xroute over that opinion? Knowing damn well there's no truth to it.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
seasonedgaming.com

Former Lead Combat Designer on God of War Joins inXile Entertainment

One of the most celebrated games of the past generation was without a doubt God of War. Released in 2018 to universal acclaim, it proved that a complete

www.gamespot.com

Red Dead Redemption, GTA 5 Veteran Joins Microsoft's New Studio

Microsoft's new studio, The Initiative, brings on another big name.

They hired a lot more veterans and some of them had lead positions. But sure they were just from the bench.
Don't even bother. There is no use arguing.
Y'all really arguing with xroute over that opinion? Knowing damn well there's no truth to it.
I just realised this. lol.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
we're hitting diminishing returns with graphiics fidelity pretty hard as the Sony show clearly demonstrated. Allocating some resources to push framerate instead of barely noticeable photo realistic skin shader or other high fidelity effects is the right choice imo

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feels like Sony realizes this too which is they opted to focus on the super fast SSD, the controller features, audio features, etc in addition to beefing up the CPU/GPU.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So is it safe to say that the extra flops are meant to give XSX frame rate advantage over PS5 rather than better graphics?
Yeah, there should be a sizeable performance gap but not enough to make games in one look drastically different from the other, so more likely they will have similar settings and SX with higher resolution and framerates.

Unless of course, the game targets the same res/framerate on both, then SX would be able to provide higher settings.

And this is kinda already showing. From the ps5 event most of the 60fps games had trouble maintaining 4k, even more simplistic stuff like sackboy and that car destruction game. There was also an lack of 60fps confirmed in cross gen games.

While on SX we have some devs saying just by porting the game they were seeing it reaching around 100fps (gears 5 and Dirt5) even with improved settings, or in the case of Chronus where the game went from 30fps this gen to 60fps on SX with improved graphics and physics as well. Given how going 60 fps from 30 usually more than double the burden on both cpu and gpu (if you keep the same resolution and settings of course), it's an easy way to make the extra performance to show off, specially when the console supports VRR.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
well, tbh this is not what he meant, he meant that "there will be no transition like 2d to 3d or low def to high def" wich we already expected.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
On a hardware side of things there is nothing that says that XSX will have an advantage over PS5 when it comes to framerates. PS5's GPU running at a higher clock speed might even put PS5 at an advantage whenever a game isn't fully utilizing the higher CU count on XSX's GPU, which will happen.

On a software side there is a small chance that Microsoft's 1st party devs are targetting a higher framerate than Sony's 1st party devs though. But we don't know this right now, the only thing we can go by are the PS5 trailers but the trailers might be 30fps while games are 60fps.

This really isn't going to happen. There is no evidence to support PS5 GPU outperforming the XSX GPU.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This really isn't going to happen. There is no evidence to support PS5 GPU outperforming the XSX GPU.
How so?
My thinking: A higher clock speed is always an advantage, for many things, that's why we're overclocking on PC. But if a dev is perfecting parallellism and is utilizing all CUs on the XSX, then XSX will always perform better. But if they're using less CUs or aren't maximizing them, then PS5 will perform better.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
How so?
My thinking: A higher clock speed is always an advantage, for many things, that's why we're overclocking on PC. But if a dev is perfecting parallellism and is utilizing all CUs on the XSX, then XSX will always perform better. But if they're using less CUs or aren't maximizing them, then PS5 will perform better.

I know people dismiss TFLOPs a nonsense comparison, but when comparing cards from the same manufacturer and using the same architecture it will be a pretty good indicator of performance. The TFLOP number includes both frequency and CU count. As far as I'm concerned no evidence yet found has convinced me that because some GPU tasks favour frequency over CU count the 20% TFLOP difference will be overcome.

Digital foundry touch on it here (~11-14 mins) but with RDNA1 cards comparing 5700 (36 CU, 2100 MHz) vs 5700 XT (40 CU, 1890 MHz). So both at identical 9.67 TFLOPs. The 5700 XT still comes out with an average 2.5% performance advantage.

There are still some uncertainties. RDNA2 might have different performance scaling for different tasks, the PS5/XSX CU count difference is much larger (16 CUs) and the frequency difference is also larger than the above example (20%).

So basically previous evidence points to XSX GPU outperforming PS5 GPU, unless something new comes to light I don't see a reason to believe otherwise.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I know people dismiss TFLOPs a nonsense comparison, but when comparing cards from the same manufacturer and using the same architecture it will be a pretty good indicator of performance. The TFLOP number includes both frequency and CU count. As far as I'm concerned no evidence yet found has convinced me that because some GPU tasks favour frequency over CU count the 20% TFLOP difference will be overcome.

Digital foundry touch on it here (~11-14 mins) but with RDNA1 cards comparing 5700 (36 CU, 2100 MHz) vs 5700 XT (40 CU, 1890 MHz). So both at identical 9.67 TFLOPs. The 5700 XT still comes out with an average 2.5% performance advantage.

There are still some uncertainties. RDNA2 might have different performance scaling for different tasks, the PS5/XSX CU count difference is much larger (16 CUs) and the frequency difference is also larger than the above example (20%).

So basically previous evidence points to XSX GPU outperforming PS5 GPU, unless something new comes to light I don't see a reason to believe otherwise.
Hadn't seen that. Interesting. It still remains to be seen how that difference show on other games though, maybe Hitman is developed with a higher CU count in mind.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
well, tbh this is not what he meant, he meant that "there will be no transition like 2d to 3d or low def to high def" wich we already expected.
Yep that's what he meant.
But if they're using less CUs or aren't maximizing them, then PS5 will perform better.
When did that ever happen?
we're hitting diminishing returns with graphiics fidelity pretty hard as the Sony show clearly demonstrated.
I think what we saw at the Sony event was budget is a bigger issue than ever, since some games didn't look much better than PS4 games. However AAA games like Ratchet and Horizon were extremely impressive and a leap compared to their PS4 predecessors. I thought GT7 with it's much better foliage and track detail was looking promising aswell.

Last edited:

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
How so?
It's an advantage over the same chip running at a lower clock, yes. But even then after a certain point it becomes a logarithmic increase even.

For example, 5700 a 36CU when pushed to 2.2ghz (a ~20% overclock) sees a performance gain in the region of 3-7% increase in frame rates depending on the game.

Usually the gains are so marginal that it doesn't make it beat a stock 5700XT or the 2070 super, which it should if the performance increase was linear to the overclock. Let alone make it comparable to the next gpu in performance (2080)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
When did that ever happen?
All the time? Perfectly optimized parallellism is not a norm, some games will successfilly feed all CUs with meaningful tasks, others will not and there's where a higher clock speed will make a bigger difference.
However AAA games like Ratchet and Horizon were extremely impressive and a leap compared to their PS4 predecessors.
Horizon looked a m a z i n g !!
Although for my own sake I try to keep my expectations in check, until proven otherwise I'll simply assume that the framerate target is 30fps and that makes me less impressed.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
Resolution and framerate aren't specs in itself and the 4K 60FPS games on Pro and Xbox One X can be counted with two hands. If we get more games being at or close to 4K and 60FPS that's already a big improvement.

There are 50+ games listed for Xbox One X as being 4k 60fps and even more games listed as 60fps.

I agree that having 4k 60fps as a standard would be a big improvement.... but that's not the question Spencer was asked or the answer he gave.

He was asked what kinds of experiences would highlight the power of Series X, and he chose to say that it was less about graphics and more about immersion. He then went on to actually only talk about framerate and latency as their hardware advantage.

The issue is that framerate and latency are not game changers, we already have 4k 60 in many places, the PS5 will have 4k 60, and anything above that will be usable to such a small percentage of the user base that it is largely meaningless in 2020-2021.

With respect to comparison with PS5 this is all he had to say:

"I think the hardware advantages that we've built are going to show up as we're talking more about our games, framerates, and other things."

That ain't real convincing. When it comes to 4k/60 I can't see Series X having any tangible advantage over PS5 (based on what we know at the moment). I say that as someone with a 1080Ti who can easily spit out 4k 60(+) in practically everything today.
The PS5 and Series X will both have more horsepower than my PC, with less bottlenecks. Perhaps when it comes to the 60-120fps range Series X will be able to stretch it's legs, but again, 95-99% of their install base won't see that, or care.

Seem to me that MS have put all their eggs in the 'powar' and 'FPS!!!!11!!!' basket, and now we're being asked to believe that will lead to more 'immersion'. I don't buy it.

FearonDuve

Feb 22, 2020
It's going to be exciting to see what Microsoft brings with their new developers! I do worry though that some were just bought last year correct? If we have a 2 or 3 year development time, we might not see something from some of them till late 2021/2022 possibly. Either way, can't wait to see what they show.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
BTW, just noticed that Gamelab who did this interview completely fucked it and misspelled Phil Spencer's name.

vaUmJ6H.jpg

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Feels like Sony realizes this too which is they opted to focus on the super fast SSD, the controller features, audio features, etc in addition to beefing up the CPU/GPU.

Best OS firmware and exotic hardware solutions since cube.

Their ssd solution isn't a ramdrive but it's practically the next best thing you can do especially at how cheap they did it.

Nov 20, 2019
we're hitting diminishing returns with graphiics fidelity pretty hard as the Sony show clearly demonstrated. Allocating some resources to push framerate instead of barely noticeable photo realistic skin shader or other high fidelity effects is the right choice imo
Launch games and early in gen games never show everything graphically capable.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Phil playing down importance of graphics on the most powerful and fastest console ever built?
Well, early gen games for many people are not that impressive (just see how many people say they didn't see a graphical jump on HZD2 and R&C), on a console like XSX, at least for now, devs can deliver the 60FPS while delivering games with convincing graphics, plus 4K, I don't particularly see his statement lasting for the entire generation, with 4K at least, they can always deliver a 1080~1440P 60 FPS mode. And all of this counting that it is native 4K, if they use reconstruction methods this whole discussion changes (I think).

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Launch games and early in gen games never show everything graphically capable.
it's not been "PS3 and the power of the cell" for a long time, this is well know hw architecture. I obviously expect better looking games than the launch titles during the gen but that has to do more with funding than anything else but in any case nothing comparable to the quality gap between early and later PS360 games.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The part about this that frustrates me: considering their focus is on immersion, why doesn't their new controller have haptic feedback like the DualSense? I'm so disappointed about that. To me, it's the biggest new features of next gen besides the SSD and graphics. It could've become the standard that third parties would also support too. Now it won't. Ugh.