• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
zoom.png
"This is always a difficult question because I know people are looking for the one, two or three tech that only show up on a certain platform or is only made possible on a certain platform," Spencer said. "And I think it's just a matter of degrees. It has been for a while."
"I think we're at a point now -- with immersion, with the tools we have and the compute capability -- that the deltas will be smaller from a visual impact, or that feature X was never possible before and now it is. And that might sound depressing to some, but what I would say is the advantage side of what I'm seeing now is really the immersive nature of the content that's getting created."
"We're able to get to almost lifelike graphics today, even on current gen in certain instances," Spencer said. "But when you take that and you mix it with a very high frame rate, solid frame rate, very little latency in input, and the ability for game storytellers to really push the emotion and the story they're trying to get through their game, through the screen, through the controller and into you? That is something I'm feeling in the games now that is a dramatic step up.
Source

Personally, to me this comes across like Phil justifying the cross-gen approach that they're taking with the Series X. It's at least comforting to see them talk about framerate, the option to lower the graphics in exchange for better performance needs to become standard next-gen, and I don't think it'd be unrealistic to expect something like this to exist in all Xbox Studios, considering they're still releasing all their games on PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
That's not what I want to hear from a potential buyers perspective.

I want mind blowing visuals and increased frame rates from a 12tf gpu

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's not different than what Sony is saying, and both of them have said over the last couple generations. "The power of our platform will allow creators to not compromise on their vision", and so forth. It's just marketing speak. Not too much to read into it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
OK, now show me that immersive new content. I feel like it has to at least match what we saw from Sony, but it'll also be interesting if they show what current gen stuff will look like on the new console with Series X patches/enhanced BC.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
He's been talking about high frame rates and low latency input on the controllers for awhile now. Dynamic latency input has been highlighted multiple times by the Xbox team. 343i, the Coalition, and I imagine other studios will probably push for 60 FPS on their next gen games.

And yea, I don't expect all Xbox Studios to do this, no one will be forced. But we've seen some games like Forza Horizon 4 offer performance and quality modes on Xbox One X, I expect something similar next gen.

Give me 60 FPS on everything tho.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
From Phil himself:
"I'm just being honest ... I felt good after seeing the [Sony] show. I think the hardware advantages that we've build will show up as we are talking more about our games, framerates, and other things. I feel good about July and the gameplay we are gonna be showing there."
The Hype! Even though I intend to have a PS5, I'm looking forward to this MS event.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I read this as, we don't have some silver bullet feature that will set us distinctly apart from other next-gen offerings. It's not really what people will want to hear but it's honest at least.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you say this? You're trying to sell a next gen console, why wouldn't you push that visuals will allow for greater immersion, and not that immersion could come at the cost of visuals? Comes off as damage control sort of. Hard to say without seeing the games though.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
But when you take that and you mix it with a very high frame rate, solid frame rate, very little latency in input, and the ability for game storytellers to really push the emotion and the story they're trying to get through their game, through the screen, through the controller and into you? That is something I'm feeling in the games now that is a dramatic step up

sounds great

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seems weird to highlight immersion when they're not pushing any new features to make games more immersive

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Source

Personally, to me this comes across like Phil justifying the cross-gen approach that they're taking with the Series X. It's at least comforting to see them talk about framerate, the option to lower the graphics in exchange for better performance needs to become standard next-gen, and I don't think it'd be unrealistic to expect something like this to exist in all Xbox Studios, considering they're still releasing all their games on PC.

On the hardware difference between PS5 and XSX, Phil also said that there will be a noticeable difference in visuals and frame rate.

So I wouldn't say it's a result of a cross-gen approach, but rather the fact that gaming hardware is still playing catch-up to 4K resolutions. As well as a shifting priority to frame rate over graphics.

Seems weird to highlight immersion when they're not pushing any new features to make games more immersive

Faster loading, higher frame rates were the examples he gave.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He's saying that visuals are going to be mind blowing but that's to be expected. What is new for next gen is the question and the answer is that devs can now make the player feel more immersed in to the story they are telling

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
User Banned (3 Days) - Trolling & Console Warring
yep, their crossgen policy will surely have some negative impact on a lot of things. Bless PlayStation for not doing 9 years long console cycles.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Performance and on-screen details/activity have been the main things we've been hearing about in regards to next-gen for awhile now.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not different than what Sony is saying, and both of them have said over the last couple generations. "The power of our platform will allow creators to not compromise on their vision", and so forth. It's just marketing speak. Not too much to read into it.

Pretty much. Its elder scrolls radiant AI all over again

WorldHero

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's coded language for performance i.e. "most of our games will run at 60fps or higher". But I'm just speculating.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I saw some ppl complain after the ps 5 show that the leap wasn't as large as they were expecting. I do think the advancement in performance, less to no loading combined with the praphical leap is going to be huge. Also - props to MS as almost all their first party games target 60, should really shine with graphical boost, the last gears was stellar on PC.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Framerate is a big part of immersion for me.

30fps and I feel like I'm watching a movie. I'm somewhat detached from the experience, like an observer.

60fps or above, and I'm there, right there, in the world. It's just such a different feeling.

And then there's the reduced latency as a result, which also further adds to that feeling.

60fps makes everything feel better. Even a settings menu.

All that is not to say that other elements are also critical to immersion. But it's still a very important factor for me.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
nothing he is saying concerns me. devs are already able to make amazing looking games on current gen ex:last of us 2 the next big thing is being able to run those games at 60fps without losing anything

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Framerate is a big part of immersion for me.

30fps and I feel like I'm watching a movie. I'm somewhat detached from the experience, like an observer.

60fps or above, and I'm there, right there, in the world. It's just such a different feeling.

And then there's the reduced latency as a result, which also further adds to that feeling.

60fps makes everything feel better. Even a settings menu.

All that is not to say that other elements are also critical to immersion. But it's still a very important factor for me.
60fps makes games more "clear" also.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
I think this part sums up the immersion comment.

Spencer said that the benefits will be felt most clearly in the mitigation of long load times and low or inconsistent frame rates that he believes hurt player immersion.

basically, just saying that not all games are going to wow everyone. we saw that in the ps5 reveal. it's the truth since it takes a lot of time to create games that wow you graphically. they higher you go, the longer it takes to make and what not, but the one thing that should be consistent is them removing the long load times, low/choppy frame rates. the rest we'll have to wait and see.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
60fps pushes is already worth it.
ya i dont really care too much about graphics at this point. build out larger worlds, more complex AI, better animations, better streaming tech thx to SSD and no to very small loading times. this is all wonderful news for this coming Gen.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Yea...I can dig it. We're going to see framerates, responsiveness, lighting, geometry, physics and all that other jazz finally be at such a high point that there'll be a cohesion we've yet to experience.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm most looking forward to playing Warzone at 120fps 90 FOV.

That's going to be the biggest benefit for me personally along the with loading improvements.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
This is just a vague version of what PlayStation has been saying. We know what it means for PS5 because they've shown and talked about it. Xbox just hasn't talked about/shown it yet. I expect them to be leaning into stuff like SSD speeds and improved 3D audio.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I read this as, we don't have some silver bullet feature that will set us distinctly apart from other next-gen offerings. It's not really what people will want to hear but it's honest at least.
Their silver bullet is game pass

People want their face blown off by realistic graphics

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here like just make sure that shit runs at 60fps

If frames aren't your thing then the start of this gen may not be for some people.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I like the sound of that. It'd be great if the XSX set the standard for frame rate and pulled us out of the "cinematic" era.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hasn't PlayStation been pushing more immersion than Xbox though, with VR support along with the haptics and adaptive triggers of DualSense?

I was under the impression Xbox would be pushing visuals more due to their TF advantage.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Translation: This next generation isn't going to be all that we've hyped it up to be.

Oops.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine for me. I don't need games to push graphics. I don't have less fun playing a game like Dishonored 2 that looks worse than something like Last of Us 2. A game looking nicer is cool, but it has nearly no impact on my enjoyment of a game. So focusing more on the things that do impact how a game plays and feels -- latency, frame rate -- is preferably to me over just trying to push graphics.