• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Yes it does have that option! But yeah it never really worked for me either. I overrode it and have my receiver set to game mode at all times just so I have a consistent experience.
Damn, I went to my Xbox and that same page and the option isn't even there...maybe my tv needs to support it or something...strange!

And I wish my receiver had that ability, jealous! Lemme guess, you have a Denon lol

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Damn, I went to my Xbox and that same page and the option isn't even there...maybe my tv needs to support it or something...strange!

And I wish my receiver had that ability, jealous! Lemme guess, you have a Denon lol
That's weird you should absolutely have it. I guess your TV really doesn't support it?

My options are:

50Hz
24Hz
Allow ALLM
Allow VRR
Allow 3D (LOL)
Allow YCC 4:2:2

and HDR10 and 4k. No dolby vision on my set.

Oh as for the overriding thing I'm doing it through my TV set. I have a 2018 QLED Samsung tv so I can just force a particular HDMI input to stay in game mode at all times. I have the new Yamaha RX-V4A which is supposed to get VRR and ALLM support down the road. I was on a Denon but it was causing me too many usability issues so I had to switch.

Maybe your receiver doesn't support it?

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
That's weird you should absolutely have it. I guess your TV really doesn't support it?

My options are:

50Hz
24Hz
Allow ALLM
Allow VRR
Allow 3D (LOL)
Allow YCC 4:2:2

and HDR10 and 4k. No dolby vision on my set.

Oh as for the overriding thing I'm doing it through my TV set. I have a 2018 QLED Samsung tv so I can just force a particular HDMI input to stay in game mode at all times. I have the new Yamaha RX-V4A which is supposed to get VRR and ALLM support down the road. I was on a Denon but it was causing me too many usability issues so I had to switch.

Maybe your receiver doesn't support it?
Sorry should have been clearer, I have them, just greyed out. I'm thinking the TV and the receiver doesn't support it lol...womp womp.

50Hz - checked
24Hz - checked
Allow ALLM - greyed out
Allow VRR - greyed out
Allow 3D (LOL) - greyed out
Allow YCC 4:2:2 - unchecked

I may have to bypass the AVR and go directly into the TV, but that will be a Series X test lol, not gonna try it with the One X when it has literally 1 day of life left! Pretty sure I can do the same as you and just force that TV input to be on Game Mode and keep the one from the receiver for normal watching of things. Shame a Sony TV and Sony AVR can't talk to each other enough to lock in per-HDMI IN settings...

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Wish I could try the Series X in 4k120, but my monitor doesn't have HDMI 2.1. I'll definitely have to try Series X on the monitor though, really intrigued to see how console 120fps feels.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Sorry should have been clearer, I have them, just greyed out. I'm thinking the TV and the receiver doesn't support it lol...womp womp.

50Hz - checked
24Hz - checked
Allow ALLM - greyed out
Allow VRR - greyed out
Allow 3D (LOL) - greyed out
Allow YCC 4:2:2 - unchecked

I may have to bypass the AVR and go directly into the TV, but that will be a Series X test lol, not gonna try it with the One X when it has literally 1 day of life left! Pretty sure I can do the same as you and just force that TV input to be on Game Mode and keep the one from the receiver for normal watching of things. Shame a Sony TV and Sony AVR can't talk to each other enough to lock in per-HDMI IN settings...
Ah yeah, that's why I went with this new receiver. My TV supports all of those but the receiver doesn't, and ARC is hit or miss for me. Wanted something that just works you know? I've learned that TV and audio manufacturers really don't care if their standard implementations don't work elsewhere lol.

Either way don't overspend. Look for the easiest method available to get the features you want working.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This is actually awesome, and I was dreading switching between 4k and 1440p/1080p for 120fps games.

Does anyone with a C8 know if the the HDMI 2.0 allows HDR at 1440p120/1080p120? Be curious to know

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah someone please test it on an LG C8. 1080p120 with HDR would be cool!

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
If my 120hz 4K TV is HDMI 2.0, does that mean I should be good to go at 1440P/120?

Does these mean I will become a more functional player at R6 Siege?

Don't answer that.

#Kapkan4life

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Ah yeah, that's why I went with this new receiver. My TV supports all of those but the receiver doesn't, and ARC is hit or miss for me. Wanted something that just works you know? I've learned that TV and audio manufacturers really don't care if their standard implementations don't work elsewhere lol.

Either way don't overspend. Look for the easiest method available to get the features you want working.
Lol yes the lack of standardization hurts my soul.

But I don't intend to spend anyways, I'll figure it out at some point but for now since the new consoles are days away, I'm just gonna crush some games!

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So my samsung is 4k but does not support hdmi 2.1, does that mean i can still play at 120 FPS at a lower resolution than 4K?

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jun 10, 2018
Will I be able to use this? My TV specs say
  • 120Hz CMI effective refresh rate
Well, depending on the TV that is just them saying "it's a 60hz panel but we use some motion processing to smooth it out." CMI refers to Clear Motion Index, it's not the real refresh rate. TV Manufacturers always double the actual TV's refresh rate when referencing CMI, or Natural Motion, etc.

Jul 26, 2018
Well, depending on the TV that is just them saying "it's a 60hz panel but we use some motion processing to smooth it out." CMI refers to Clear Motion Index, it's not the real refresh rate. TV Manufacturers always double the actual TV's refresh rate when referencing CMI, or Natural Motion, etc.
Agh, it's just 60nhz I guess. Can't complain, expensive TVs are beyond my possibility so this one will serve me well. 4k/resolution mode over 120 FPS for me then.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Yep, like a bunch of other TVs, they pushed out a new firmware for it 2 days ago

I stand absolutely corrected. My Q90R is accepting 4k120Hz with VRR and HDR on HDMI 4! No apparent video degradation that I can see. But I don't know if it is 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

It's wild that Samsung had HDMI 2.1 (or at least supporting bandwidth higher than 2.0) hardware in 2019. I was very happy when I tried it and it worked!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So my mileage with this has on my 2018 Samsung has varied. For Ori, I have to turn off the 4K check box under settings to get it not to tell me I can't do 120hz, but Gears 5 will actually switch depending on the game mode I'm playing. So it loads in 4K 60 HDR and then if I start and MP game it switches to 1440p 120 SDR.

Its a shame Ori doesn't work the same way, and switch resolution when you change the in game setting like Gears 5 does.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Wish I could try the Series X in 4k120, but my monitor doesn't have HDMI 2.1. I'll definitely have to try Series X on the monitor though, really intrigued to see how console 120fps feels.

Does your monitor support those output settings on DisplayPort? You may be able to get a two ended cable that would work. I used to have a cable that was HDMI on one end and DisplayPort on the other for connecting an Xbox to a monitor.

Something like this perhaps:

Club 3D DisplayPort1.4 to HDMI 4K120Hz HDR Active Adapter M/F CAC-1085 : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Club 3D DisplayPort1.4 to HDMI 4K120Hz HDR Active Adapter M/F CAC-1085 : Amazon.ca: Electronics

OP
OP
Naner

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Can you get hdr at 1440p120 if you allow 422?
I tried and it seemingly didn't make a difference.
I am thinking about buying the Dell 2721DGF ( 27 inch 165hz 1440P) for the Series X. Main use would be playing Shooters in the 120hz mode.

That monitor can do 1440P, 120FPS and VRR.

From what I read in this topic the Bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 is not enough for 1440, 120FPS, VRR and HDR? Is that correct?
With 2.0 I can get 1440, 120 and VRR without HDR.
Allow Auto Low Latency Mode...does the One X have this option?

This is a thing that has been plaguing me for eternity with my One X...all my other devices switch to their respective modes, except my Xbox. It should switch the tv to Game Mode, but never has.

Praying this is enabled/allowed in the Series X.

I have a Sony 900F and Sony DN1080 AVR, for reference.
I kind of had the opposite problem, it was bothering me that the TV kept switching between game mode off and on so I just disabled the automatic and left it on always.

In a somewhat tangential topic, I've been having weirdly crushed colors on pre-rendered content (splash screens, cutscenes and, oddly enough, Netflix). It still shows up on screenshots, though, so idk if it's a video setting or just that video compression artifacts become more visible in HDR. During gameplay it's fine.

Here's an example from Star Wars Squadrons, the issue is very visible on the lower right and lower left corners.

30bba7ff-8730-4e35-9b75-554c3e829772.PNG

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Does your monitor support those output settings on DisplayPort? You may be able to get a two ended cable that would work. I used to have a cable that was HDMI on one end and DisplayPort on the other for connecting an Xbox to a monitor.

Something like this perhaps:

It does yeah. To be honest though, I went down this road with the Xbox One X, bought several HDMI to Displayport adapters, and couldn't find one that worked. It looks like the one you linked doesn't either, but I hope they make something available.

A quote from that Amazon page:
Can this work as hdmi to display port. I want to use hdmi 2.1 with ps5 to my monitor. Is it only dp to hdmi, or can it be hdmi to dp?
I wanted to use it for the same purpose, unfortunately it isn't compatible with a HDMI 2.1 source (example: PS5) to Display Port 1.4 output (monitor). You will have to wait a bit for an active adapter that can do it in reverse at 4k 120hz, maybe club 3D will make that next.

Until then, I think Microsot's solution of dynamically shifting between 4k and 1440p is totally good. I expect most 120fps games to run closer to 1440p on Series X anyways. I do have an RTX 3080 as well, so as much as I'd love to see Gears 5 and Ori in 120hz for now, at least I'm covered by Play Anywhere and my PC for now.