• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Further to this, what's stopping the Series S from doing this?
Series S supports the feature.

Microsoft confirmed it here.
"Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer's original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR."

Last edited:

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Loving what the ML capability will do for devs on the XSX! Auto HDR with amazing results is crazy. I'm sure we'll see more soon on what ML will add

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watching this on my HDR laptop screen... goddamn Geometry Wars looks amazing!!!!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EvilBoris , so do you think the results are more successful then auto HDR offered by TV vendors?

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this can be used on all games; I can see indie / gamepass titles taking advantage of this.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Really would appreciate a side-by-side comparison in an HDR formatted video to see the difference - without it, it looks great but no baseline to compare to hinders the wowness factor.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Static hud elements getting boosted to 1000nits gets a big yikes from me. Easiest way to ruin your oled tv.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Geometry Wars and Panzer look stunning. Yakuza looks way better as well, kind of shocking seeing these older games get a fresh look, soo awesome.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
If MS could start re-selling / advertising BC games digitally for a couple of quid, they could be pitched as new experiences. Could have bulletpoints listing if they have HDR, better framerates / more stable ones etc.

I think people would pay a small amount to try out old favourites in ways that make them look better. I think at the moment the games are about a fiver, that's too expensive.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
Can't watch the video in the OP right now, but I saw RDR2 mentioned as one of the games. Does the video mention if the Auto HDR is better than the in-game HDR?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I just want it available for the hundreds of games I own on PS4 that don't have HDR implemented.

I hear ya, it's just that thus far, as far as we can tell, Sony really doesn't have much intention of doing anything to enhance backwards compatibility.

No doubt they have talented people that could do it, but it doesn't seem like a priority.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Can't watch the video in the OP right now, but I saw RDR2 mentioned as one of the games. Does the video mention if the Auto HDR is better than the in-game HDR?
There's general BC frame rates and resolution talk in the vids in the OP. Didn't see anything related to its HDR, only dynamic res boost.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Wtf is up with Grubb's video. His feed is crushed to fuck and back, and some of the early game footage looks like HDR footage processed by an SDR display.

Anyway, it gets better later on and the video overall is really good. Lots of insight

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
You can't trigger auto HDR in games that already offer HDR. RDR2, Destiny 2, etc. that already support HDR just have the video author talking about the performance of the game on Series X.

Edit: They did use Fallout New Vegas as an example of a game that does not support auto HDR, which is interesting.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
If MS could start re-selling / advertising BC games digitally for a couple of quid, they could be pitched as new experiences. Could have bulletpoints listing if they have HDR, better framerates / more stable ones etc.

I think people would pay a small amount to try out old favourites in ways that make them look better. I think at the moment the games are about a fiver, that's too expensive.
It is wild (and I know most of this exists on One X now) but framed a certain way Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy remastered (4K/HDR) is an exclusive launch title (among many others like that) and if they can they should lean into that marketing for sure

Nov 1, 2017
I've never seen Banjo-Kazooie pop as much as that demo. The potential here is crazy. Kudos to the backwards compatibility team at Microsoft, they continue to keep impressing me.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I hear ya, it's just that thus far, as far as we can tell, Sony really doesn't have much intention of doing anything to enhance backwards compatibility.

No doubt they have talented people that could do it, but it doesn't seem like a priority.

For real and the more you all tell me this the sadder I feel about this.

They really need to get their head in the game with these types of features. You can't get left in behind the dust like this.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You can't trigger auto HDR in games that already offer HDR. RDR2, Destiny 2, etc. that already support HDR just have the video author talking about the performance of the game on Series X.

Edit: They did use Fallout New Vegas as an example of a game that does not support auto HDR, which is interesting.
I really want to know if the Series X can play unpatched Xbox One games off disc if you aren't online. Like, can you play RDR2 V1.0 in HDR? Can you play AC:Unity V1.0 at 60 fps? Right now, they're limited to whatever's white listed on the service so we don't have that answer yet, but I hope for Xbox One content it doesn't work like Xbox 360 BC does, where the disc just works as a key and you run a downloaded version of the game.

Because I'm interested in these fringe cases.

Edit: Brain fart forgetting that RDR2 launched with awful HDR, vs no HDR.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tech looks amazing. A question I was wondering. For games that already have HDR settings in them, does the Xbox Auto HDR stuff override the games usual settings or not?

Some games certainly have their own options when it comes to HDR, so I am wondering if in some cases it would be better to let the Xbox do HDR.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It's one of my favourite and IMO one of the most underrated new features of the upcoming Xbox consoles. Christ, can we have November now, please?

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I really want to know if the Series X can play unpatched Xbox One games off disc if you aren't online. Like, can you play RDR2 V1.0 in HDR? Can you play AC:Unity V1.0 at 60 fps? Right now, they're limited to whatever's white listed on the service so we don't have that answer yet, but I hope for Xbox One content it doesn't work like Xbox 360 BC does, where the disc just works as a key and you run a downloaded version of the game.

Because I'm interested in these fringe cases.

Edit: Brain fart forgetting that RDR2 launched with awful HDR, vs no HDR.
Yes I'm very interested in this too. I'm leaning towards Series X having enough of Xbox One's DNA that if you're disconnected from the internet and you pop in that AC Unity disc it will just install the game from disc as expected on an actual Xbox One. I don't think there's a cut-off with Xbox One games where they now act as a "legacy Xbox title" like 360 and OG Xbox where the disc is a key and the entire install package is downloaded from Microsoft. Might be worth reaching out to DigitalFoundry or Jeff Grubb about that!

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if I can enable this method to get better HDR in games like Nier Automata where the HDR is bad.

How would that work?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
EvilBoris , so do you think the results are more successful then auto HDR offered by TV vendors?

There are some distinct advantages this has over what TVs can do.

Primarily that you can apply the SDR-HDR conversion to an image that is 10bit+
The TV is hamstrung by the bit depth it is presented with.
This system has been trained on game content- something which is typically not the content focus for these types of things on TVs.

In terms of what the TVs , I'm sure you could get to a approximation of it utilising the various adjustments you can apply on a TV.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I'm wondering if I can enable this method to get better HDR in games like Nier Automata where the HDR is bad.

How would that work?
I said earlier that it "won't work" but really should have said I don't see how it would work. Xbox's HDR method is very static, the game is either HDR on or HDR off at boot depending on support and the system level setting. There's no HDR toggle in Xbox games like on some PS4 titles, so if you boot the game and the game sees HDR is enabled at the system level, it just uses its built-in HDR.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I said earlier that it "won't work" but really should have said I don't see how it would work. Xbox's HDR method is very static, the game is either HDR on or HDR off at boot depending on support and the system level setting. There's no HDR toggle in Xbox games like on some PS4 titles, so if you boot the game and the game sees HDR is enabled at the system level, it just uses its built-in HDR.

That's a shame. Would be nice if we can disable in game hdr and try MS method.