• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a dumb question: My TV is a KS8000 so it does HDR10 and HDR10+, but not Dolby Vision. How much will that hinder HDR on XSX?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
What's stopping the PS5 from doing this and/or why haven't they said anything on it if they can or do, do it. Can't watch the video yet.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Both videos are great and it's definitely my most hyped Series X feature. Dying to see Chaos Theory with it on but really everything as well.

Oct 27, 2017
What's stopping the PS5 from doing this and/or why haven't they said anything on it if they can or do, do it. Can't watch the video yet.
Sony is usually pretty slow with features like this. They also have been very quiet on BC in general, so while HDR may come to BC games on PS5 at some point, I certainly wouldn't expect it.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's no different than Enhanced BC, Smart Delivery, Game Pass, xCloud, universal accessory compatibility, etc..

There's nothing keeping Sony from doing any of that. It's something they've chosen not to invest into.

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020

Nothing is stopping Sony, but really this is just an extension of Microsoft's emphasis on BC. Currently the PS4 BC story is it should work as is and maybe your saves will transfer, whereas the XB1/lower story is it'll work, saves will be seamless, and quality will be improved.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Sony is usually pretty slow with features like this. They also have been very quiet on BC in general, s while HDR may come to BC games on PS5 at some point, I certainly wouldn't expect it.
It's no different than Enhanced BC, Smart Delivery, Game Pass, xCloud, universal accessory compatibility, etc..

There's nothing keeping Sony from doing any of that. It's something they've chosen not to invest into.
Nothing is stopping Sony, but really this is just an extension of Microsoft's emphasis on BC. Currently the PS4 BC story is it should work as is and maybe your saves will transfer, whereas the XB1/lower story is it'll work, saves will be seamless, and quality will be improved.

Thanks for the replies. It's a shame Sony doesn't look into these types of features. It would benefit them great since they sell and manufacture the things that output and display HDR.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
My TCL series 4 had issues with HDR on Xbox One X.

When I googled the issue it seemed like it was a common problem with TCL TVs on XB1, but I didn't find anything definitive.

I'm hoping it works better on the series X.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I know right Bishop! 4K/HDR just looks brighter but rather normal to me... Can't really tell

Recently order a 4k tv (Samsung 55Q95T), but in two minds whether people are exaggerating the effects of 4k/hdr or whether it is less noticeable on a smaller oled screen.
I've never seen 4k/HDR footage in real life but everyone I know raves about it.
I'm going to upgrade my TV this month from a Sony 55" x900a (2013 — 1080p!! ) to a 75 or 85" X900H (4k/HDR) and I'm sure I'll notice a difference. I just don't know what to look out for in these videos as I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to, and my memory sucks so bad that I feel these examples look like the normally did back in the day lol

You'll need to boost your phone screen brightness to max to get it look right, if I remember how HDR works on my Galaxy.
I have the same phone, and the video played in HDR for me. The app just plays HDR automatically - a good way to tell would be to check your screen brightness, as the phone automatically cranks it to the maximum when you're watching HDR content.

HDR on my S20 looks so much better than it does on my TV... Watching the video actually made me a little sad that it won't look anywhere near this good when I get the console myself haha

I think it's actually working on my phone. I think Im the issue lol As I mentioned above I don't have a frame of reference of how HDR enhances a games visuals, so the ones in the video look like how I remember them to look like (which is obviously wrong!)

I'll probably have to find some non HDR footage of the same clips to compare lol

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I love HDR but I am little worried that people will be turned off by how much darker it will look. I still have people look at my setup and say "I like it the other way" and not even give it a chance. It is good that they let you turn it off for those who are unwilling.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The YouTube video is in HDR so I got to see what they're talking about on my CX. Damn that makes me want to play Geometry Wars like that.

Maybe the Windows HDR team can take some pointers from the Xbox HDR team.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Damn, those explosions in geometry wars on my CX made be squint a bit from the brightness. Yakuza looked really good. Banjo popped like hell. I can't wait to try this out in non-HDR games. What a cool feature.

My only beef with it is I wish they trained the ML to not have the HUD at such high nits. You'd think they would be able to train it for objects on the screen that don't move. HUD should be left at SDR range IMO.

Less investment in software development, or maybe a better way to say it is different priorities for their software development. Either way they have little investment in anything BC.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Panzer Dragoon Orta still holding up in 2020!!

First game I'll play on my X

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The sheer love and attention Xbox pays to its legacy library continues to astound me. I can't believe replaying some of my old favorites on the Series X is going to be even better than when I played them on the One X. I would hope that this would pressure Sony to put in the same effort into their BC support, but I don't think anyone cares less about their own history than Sony does.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I've never seen 4k/HDR footage in real life but everyone I know raves about it.
I'm going to upgrade my TV this month from a Sony 55" x900a (2013 — 1080p!! ) to a 75 or 85" X900H (4k/HDR) and I'm sure I'll notice a difference. I just don't know what to look out for in these videos as I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to, and my memory sucks so bad that I feel these examples look like the normally did back in the day lo

Well your phone is a 4K/HDR device, and apparently one of the best OLED screens.

Ah congrats on the new TV already! But guess what, I have you beat on how old my tv is haha.
Got a Samsung 55" UEC8700 (1080p) from 2010. But having said that, till this day it is one of the nicer tv's and only 2.4cm thick. Took an awful lot of convincing why I needed a new tv haha.

Great choice by the way, the X900H. Looks like a great tv. Would have gone for that myself, but since the Samsung and Sony were the same price I opted for a sammy tv once again. RIP DOLBY VISION 😭 😂

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect to see Yakuza 0, I wanna play it for the 3rd time! XD

Ohhh good idea, I think I wanna play it like that.
Took some 4K Enhanced shots when I played it on my One X a few years ago, and damn, HDR is really going to take it to the next level:
31015987747_5b219cf89e_o.png

45042893985_0d8e3f2fd2_o.png

44982123525_6b6bb12026_o.png

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Similar in that it can change the final output buffer to 10/12bit.
However specialK doesn't have the same machine learned control over the "grading" of the image.

Ah, very nice. I'm playing Tomb Raider 2013 using Special K's HDR right now, and the results are pretty good. I can only imagine how much better this is. Do you think it's something that could be implemented in Windows?

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
This is honestly an amazing feature and one I haven't seen talked about enough.

Does this work for every Xbox One game?

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Less investment in software development, or maybe a better way to say it is different priorities for their software development. Either way they have little investment in anything BC.

Yeah that's a big bummer on Sony's part. But is this feature something that just works for BC games or can games without HDR like say Control get HDR with this?

OP
OP
TameLucas

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
I just watched the videos on a CX OLED TV and wow, the Xbox BC team really did some magic there.

This makes me want to stop playing any BC games until I get my hands on a XSX in November haha

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I know! I'm so excited. Just the idea of having a uniform HDR output at all times for every game is great. I wonder if the Series X dashboard will be in HDR.

That's the ideal situation for me. Always playing in HDR with every game. A great step by the Xbox team I rate them for this move. I watch afraid the feature would be overlooked.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Footage looked great on my TV, better than many games with native (but borked) HDR implementations that I've tried. My pet peeve, however, are the HUD elements: they should never exceed the SDR range, IMO, and you can clearly see very high luminance HUD with Geometry Wars and Banjo Nuts 'n' Bolts in the video. Hopefully Microsoft can improve their algorithm in that sense.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I have a ps5 preorder and I was lucky enough to get a 3080, but I still am getting a series x at launch because of this stuff. Absolutely stunning.