• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal

I've tested auto-HDR in a number of backward compatible games on a preview version of the Xbox Series X hardware. And it's a big benefit. Every game I tested maxes out at 1,000 Nits, which is a measure of luminance. When it comes to HDR, 1,000 Nits is a gold standard for the bright highlights in an image. HDR expert Adam Fairclough, @EvilBoris on Twitter (who you should follow), helped out with this by grabbing a heatmap of some of my HDR footage. Check it out!
Games tested: Geometry Wars, GTA IV, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, Dead Cells, Yakuza 0
Article: https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/06/...e-learning-auto-hdr-renders-stunning-results/

----

EDIT: another video found! Thanks, Theorry. To get the HDR, please watch it in the YouTube app on TV or phone.

Games tested: 1:36 Control 2:21 Destiny 2 3:09 Monster Hunter World 3:55 Panzer Dragoon Orta 4:23 Fusion Frenzy 4:50 Final Fantasy XV 5:37 Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice 6:21 Fallout: New Vegas 7:00 Crackdown 3 7:25 Assassins Creed Odyssey 7:56 Hydro Thunder Hurricane 8:17 Doom Eternal 8:46 Gears of War 3 9:10 Banjo Kazooie 9:37 Quantum Break 9:54 Halo Anniversary 10:18 Red Dead Redemption 2 10:42 Sunset Overdrive 11:11 Geometry Wars 2 11:35 Rise of The Tomb Raider

Last edited:

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
This is one of the coolest next gen features. Though most modern TV can do something like this, this is a much better implementation directly on the console.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it works just for BC games, or a developer can say "fuck it, we're not bothering in doing HDR on our new games, we'll let the OS handle it"

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Geometry Wars 2 is going to look fantastic.
Geometry Wars 2 also needs a 120hz patch. No other game, really, but GeoWars2 does :P

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it works just for BC games, or a developer can say "fuck it, we're not bothering in doing HDR on our new games, we'll let the OS handle it"
No they want to enable Actual HDR if possible. This is still mapping with the best guess scenario. Native HDR is always going to be better. after watching the video of this seems pretty much probably what windows already does when you change it to auto HDR where are the games themselves will calibrate as well as far as brightness levels based off SD games.

Evil Boris can maybe confirm this is relatively the similar or is this something completely different?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
No they want to enable Actual HDR if possible. This is still mapping with the best guess scenario. Native HDR is always going to be better. after watching the video of this seems pretty much probably what windows already does when you change it to auto HDR where are the games themselves will calibrate as well as far as brightness levels based off SD games. evil Boris can you confirm this is relatively the similar or is this something completely different?
I mean, I know it's better, I was wondering if this is just something of BC games or, if not bothered to actually implement HDR during development, a next gen game can use it as well.

OP
OP
TameLucas

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal

That would be really cool and I hope it's how it works.

Considering it works across three BC generations, it's probably not an emulator specific setting, so I have hope that you can enable it on the system level and that it works for next gen games as well (when there isn't HDR). Too bad the video didn't show the UI - I guess they can't show it yet.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Footage looked amazing on my galaxy s9 but i fear they will not on my Samsung NU8000, it seems like it doesn't have very good HDR :(

Jul 26, 2018
I have no idea what 1,000 Nits are but it'd be a great name for an in game currency. It's pronounced "neats" I'm guessing?

Will this improve my experience in my TCL 55S405, which has HDR but it's on the cheap side, or do you need one of those fancy high end TVs to get the difference?

OP
OP
TameLucas

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
Footage looked amazing on my galaxy s9 but i fear they will not on my Samsung NU8000, it seems like it doesn't have very good HDR :(
He suggests in the video that there is some kind of system level calibration to get the best results from the display. I'm not sure how great it will look on your TV, but maybe this will allow for you to get some nice auto-HDR picture as well :D

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Another vid from yesterday with alot more vids and games. Need to be watched in YT app on TV or phone

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the coolest features on paper and it's totally delivered so far. Incredible stuff.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Can you properly see HDR on your phone? Apparently my Samsung s20+ can view HDR and when I view the video 1080P/HDR is selected, however the video just looks "Normal" to me. I don't really know what HDR is supposed to look like 😔

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Can you properly see HDR on your phone? Apparently my Samsung s20+ can view HDR and when I view the video 1080P/HDR is selected, however the video just looks "Normal" to me. I don't really know what HDR is supposed to look like 😔
You can, Make sure you are viewing inside the YouTube app- embedded videos don't play in hdr

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Based Xbox BC Team. I wonder what other enhancements powered by the cloud they come up with.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Such an amazing feature, really hope Sony whips up something comparable on PS5 - especially since they have shiny new HDR TVs to sell. It's a no brainer.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is magic to me, such a cool feature would be awesome if they could implement this into Windows in some way.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be freaking awesome.

Imagining Final Fantasy XIII in 4K/HDR on Series X.... Got damn.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017

I know right Bishop! 4K/HDR just looks brighter but rather normal to me... Can't really tell

Recently order a 4k tv (Samsung 55Q95T), but in two minds whether people are exaggerating the effects of 4k/hdr or whether it is less noticeable on a smaller oled screen.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You'll need to boost your phone screen brightness to max to get it look right, if I remember how HDR works on my Galaxy.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
The non-uniformity in HDR implementations this gen was one of my biggest disappointments. So many games with broken or useless HDR, some where the game looked better with it off (including huge AAA games like RDR2). What a complete shitshow. It kind of soured me on HDR in general.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This just makes me want a new Panzer Dragoon game...

Yea, I want a XSX this go around... 😭😭

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing, as I had a PS4 this gen I will have so much content to play when I get my X it is crazy

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to see The Division 1 and Control w/ auto HDR. Also Kingdom Hearts 3 with all the effects as well!

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017

I have the same phone, and the video played in HDR for me. The app just plays HDR automatically - a good way to tell would be to check your screen brightness, as the phone automatically cranks it to the maximum when you're watching HDR content.

HDR on my S20 looks so much better than it does on my TV... Watching the video actually made me a little sad that it won't look anywhere near this good when I get the console myself haha

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Holly smoke, thank you for the HDR video, on my phone (S10e) it looks phenomenal!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know right Bishop! 4K/HDR just looks brighter but rather normal to me... Can't really tell

Recently order a 4k tv (Samsung 55Q95T), but in two minds whether people are exaggerating the effects of 4k/hdr or whether it is less noticeable on a smaller oled screen.
With a decent display, HDR is truly a game changer. It's impact is not exaggerated at all.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit @ HDR Kamarucho!!

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I just looked at the second video on an HDR panel and holy fucking shit. Honestly looks much better than I had guessed it would, and I'm really excited to try out various games. Sunset Overdrive especially looked incredible (but also like it was run through an image filter) and Panzer Dragoon looks insane