• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thoughts on the name?

• I like it

Votes: 2,141 37.2%
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Votes: 1,687 29.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 1,935 33.6%

• Total voters

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Are people honestly trying to dig in on the "confusing" naming thing? You may not love the chosen name, but it is dumb to think it will have any meaningful impact on marketing or sales of the thing. Next year will all be about the next generation Xbox, and it won't be confusing for someone to walk into a store to buy that next generation Xbox. As my teenage son pointed out, if Grandma buys little Jimmy the wrong one then he will most certainly use his receipt to swap for what he knows is the correct one, i.e. the big cube one :) Talking about Wii U as if the name was any significant part of its problem is silly, as the real problems were that it didn't have enough really good games or 3rd party support along with not really having a good execution of the actual purpose of the portable screen thing which they executed far more effectively with the Switch of course.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
The name is really strange. Let's see how it "sticks".
That vent on top of the box looks like it already started to melt from the heat coming from inside :p

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
...it's shorter than a Gamecube with the disc lid open, and that's without Game Boy Player, which takes it up to over 9". Receivers vent from the top, too. Most receivers need *more* height than 6" because of the venting. I need more than 6" top clearance to get my Switch in and out of the dock. The space issue is greatly overstated.

The Switch dock and NGC top-loader clearance comparison came to mind for me too. This clearly isn't hardware people will be going "it's so tiny!" about, but I think some are over-estimating the effective space it needs.

jayspeed

Sep 19, 2019
I don't care what they call it or how it looks as long as it's powerful af. It will fit in my entertainment center laying on it's side. I care about how good the games look and how good the games are to me. Please no more than $499 for Series X though. Do a Series S for $399 for the "mainstream" market.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the name is... weird? But absolutely fine. It could really be named anything. I can totally imagine saying Xbox Series X as much as I got used to saying Xbox One. The name Xbox is what matters, and the inherent staying power to the name given the length of generations, will be high I think. It'll be in common parlance at some point.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I think MS are making all the right moves for next generation. All they need to do now is strip all the ridiculous loot boxes and additional cosmetic DLC from their first party offerings. It's cheapening their image.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't care what they call it or how it looks as long as it's powerful af. It will fit in my entertainment center laying on it's side. I care about how good the games look and how good the games are to me. Please no more than $499 for Series X though. Do a Series S for $399 for the "mainstream" market.

It might not be the most powerful next gen console, but one thing is for sure is that people can't accuse it of being underpowered.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
If videogame savvy grown adults thinks Xbox Series X is a confusing name, imagine how confusing it would be to a price conscious, non-gaming savvy parent or grandparent?

Remember Halo Infinite, Xbox's flagship game, can be played in both Xbox One X and Xbox Series X . . . . a casual buyer can make the mistake of buying the last gen Xbox console especially if it sees how much money it can save.

iPhones do this constantly, and people are fine. And that's every year. 8, 8S, 8 Plus, X (no 9), XS, XS Max

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about all this more, here are basically my bulletpoint-ed thoughts:

Pros:

- Design looks great vertically, I could get used to this!
- It seems... quite powerful.
- Hellblade looked amazing.
- Their strategy for next-gen just seems sound.
- I thought the little trailer to announce the box was really cool!
- I think the name might be smart.

Cons:

- The name might confuse people? Idk.
- How does this compare to the PlayStation though!
- It was weird for them not to be the center of attention, I don't know about announcing new generations of consoles in the middle of TGA! I'm happy we saw it... but that was weird! I could barely pay attention to the rest of the show. And it wasn't a lot of info! I hope we don't have to wait too long for more info.

Basically, pros are that everything seems great, and con is that I have anxiety and just want things to work out, man.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the name is... weird? But absolutely fine. It could really be named anything. I can totally imagine saying Xbox Series X as much as I got used to saying Xbox One. The name Xbox is what matters, and the inherent staying power to the name given the length of generations, will be high I think. It'll be in common parlance at some point.
Indeed people get used to names all the time.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I don't get why they couldn't just call it... xbox 5.
Technically, it is the fifth xbox. It's not like anyone would care.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On the bright side... it genuinely looks like a monster. Maybe going the PC tower route was the only way for them to achieve their hardware goal ? It would be embarrassing for MS though if the PS5 has the typical slim console design and still outperforms this thing.

The name has to change though. Get rid of the '' series ''. Just do it like Sony. Call it X5 or better yet... 6. Or if you wanna do it like Nintendo at least hire someone who can come up with a better name.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
On the bright side... it genuinely looks like a monster. Maybe going the PC tower route was the only way for them to achieve their hardware goal ? It would be embarrassing for MS though if the PS5 has the typical slim console design and still outperforms this thing.

The name has to change though. Get rid of the '' series ''. Just do it like Sony. Call it X5 or better yet... 6. Or if you wanna do it like Nintendo at least hire someone who can come up with a better name.

There is practically zero chance of this happening

Just look at their devkits.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Why are you spreading bullshit?

It's because console launches are like elections and some people in here aren't interested in facts. Most people in this thread had their mind made up before the official reveal. Now it's about spin and alternative facts to support whatever narrative suits their team. A lot of disinegenous warriors in here.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So what I'm trying to figure out is, how does "series x" indicate its purpose at all?

Wasn't that the hint like just a few days ago? Or is this just a new codename?

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
The look can be hit or miss and I can see why some may find it attractive but the name is not good.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I don't care what its called. This baby will be mine this holiday. I thought I would hold off but I don't think I can.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I like the looks of it but I gotta echo, can't think of where on my tv stand it would fit. Good thing since I got a PC I'm not going to bother with an xbox (between having a PC, Switch, and Playstation I'm covered). And the PC is already behind my couch... I don't need more wires and having to go behind the couch to turn on my device (For those wondering where I put the PC).

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
tbf a 6" tall box is bigger than most receivers. A lot of people actually don't have space for 2 receivers in their stand.

it's a valid complaint.

I measured my Sony STR-DH770 Surround Receiver and its slightly over 6" with the feet. Not sure if people remove the feet or not which would make it under 6". Checking other receivers on Best Buy and some are 7" like this Onkyo. Some are even above 7" and most are 6"+, And all of them are well over a foot wide at about 17"+.

I think people are underestimating the size of the receiver.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Console wars
This thing may not even sell 30 million units lifetime imo, branding and design are Wii U levels of bad. You can feel it was an afterthought, even to Microsoft. Not the big huge deal that consoles normally are.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The name reminds me of Apple Watch

Dunno if it's good or bad though. It does create the impression that it's just another version of XBox instead of a brand new exciting new generation.

The console design is great.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This thing may not even sell 30 million units lifetime imo, branding and design are Wii U levels of bad. You can feel it was an afterthought, even to Microsoft. Not the big huge deal that consoles normally are.

What if I told you that the Series X isn't going to be the device that sells the most, that'll belong to the Series S (Lockhart).

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Some real sad concern trolling happening in the thread, shame. You can tell who already had their mind made up before seeing the box or name haha

Oct 27, 2017
It does create the impression that it's just another version of XBox instead of a brand new exciting new generation.

This is exactly the point. It's not the idea that this is an entirely new device. This is the best and latest version of the Xbox console.

People who buy the Apple watch don't care about the specs, it what it can do in regards Apps.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
what if they ask this after they release the Lockhart (which is presumed to launch after anaconda) Then they would be getting the weaker one

They would have the choice between one (presumably) made for 4K/high-end TVs, and one for more standard ones.

I don't think that's a paralyzing distinction when it comes to purchase like this.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
MS is glowing with confidence right now. They'll either reach peak level of awesomeness for the Xbox brand with this sexy beast or they'll mess up somehow and tumble and crash miserably.