• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thoughts on the name?

• I like it

Votes: 2,141 37.2%
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Votes: 1,687 29.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 1,935 33.6%

• Total voters

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Is that confirmed? i mean i dont want the new xbox to blow hot air right into my av receiver tbh
It is, Spencer himself has it on its side at home.

I don't get the hate for this design. It's certainly better than the crap V spaceship the PS4 dev builds have going. I take simplicity over an outlandish and unique design, these things are supposed to blend in with your TV setup.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
So who is going to be the first to have a house guest put out a cigarette on one of these?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I'm a fan of the Series X design. It's going to require extremely good cooling to keep a console that size quiet, so I think this design facilitates that quite well.

Here? You won't get a valid answer to that, we know where the population leans console wars wise.
Yeah, because I'm sure outside of this forum the Xbox will be more popular. /s

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
"Xbox" is the platform or the brand and the model name is "Series X."

Xbox as a 20 year old brand is already ubiquitous enough that it probably doesn't need to be a part of the official product name. Judging by their reveal trailer today (first row XBOX, second row Series X), I'd wager all of their ads will simply refer to this product as Series X.

Phonetically, Series X is much easier to pronounce than "Xbox One X" or even just "Xbox."

Visually, they will always have that white Xbox globe logo visible so there's no mistaking it's the latest Xbox console.

While the name may seem somewhat sterile, I think it's a smart strategy. I dig it.

As for text abbreviation in these boards, the name is short enough so I'd type Series X.

Edit: Ugh. I meant to post the above in the 'XSX, XbSX or XS' thread. Still relevant so I'll just leave it here.

Edit 2: to further add, I think Microsoft is taking the same approach as Tesla. Tesla is the brand/platform and product names are Model S, Model 3, and so on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I thought you were sarcastic and joking with your first post, but you were actaully serious as you made it clear with your second post. That's an odd and cringe worthy brag/flex that you made in a console thread on a gaming forum.

I'm sure there are people here who work on millions worth of medical or construction equipment, don't see them bragging about it like school boys.
The first message you've read was a response (quoted in it) to someone who two weeks ago was arguing that in not any case consoles could equal the top Steam gear, then collectively drooled on me about "console players" supposedly ignorant of hardware. All that slobber just for fueling a proxy war where I was just saying that the VR market will be lifted with the PCVR by the PS5's performances.

So seeing him in this thread waddling about how this console would fit greatly his interior was a too good occasion to not respond. But I regret now, personal reckoning are always boring and confusing to read.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Guys your all missing the point. You don't put it in your entertainment centre you keep it in the middle of the room and sit on it like a gaming stool.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the design. It seems they named it that way because there is a different model/series.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
It is, Spencer himself has it on its side at home.

I don't get the hate for this design. It's certainly better than the crap V spaceship the PS4 dev builds have going. I take simplicity over an outlandish and unique design, these things are supposed to blend in with your TV setup.
I cant find it anywhere on its twitter.

Also you must not forget that dev kits at least from playstation never look like the end product, the ps4 looked like a big bulky dell device. No way they go with the Vshape design.

tbh i find the xbox S X a little outlandish tbf. I mean it basically looks like a big rectangular amazon speaker with the vents on the top (not bashing xbox fyi, it seriously kinda looks like it). Untill i get confirmation that its not blowing out hot air at the top im not pre ordering as of now.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
really got people in here questioning why it was announced now and not later like it's a negative lol. Put some joy in ya life. I'm glad as hell we got a nice peek and more info, and hopefully Sony pulls a 2013, and gives us some more PS5 info 2 months from now. This is an exciting time for gamers.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I cant find it anywhere on its twitter.

Also you must not forget that dev kits at least from playstation never look like the end product, the ps4 looked like a big bulky dell device. No way they go with the Vshape design.

tbh i find the xbox S X a little outlandish tbf. I mean it basically looks like a big rectangular amazon speaker with the vents on the top (not bashing xbox fyi, it seriously kinda looks like it). Untill i get confirmation that its not blowing out hot air at the top im not pre ordering as of now.

Didn't the article confirm it's sucking in cool air? Similar to the MAC PRO cylinder device.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't mind the design. It seems they named it that way because there is a different model/series.
Yeah. But more conspicuously, the series title could hint at a more stretched out generation. That is, the high end models (X) and low end models (S, presumably) could very well get a lot of entries under the series _ brand.

But maybe that's the wrong way to look at it, and the series part just refers to the proliferation of mid-gen refreshes for each tier.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Reminds me of that Mac Pro everyone called a trash can. I dig the new style, prob just put it next to my tv instead of under it.

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was laughing at the design of the console but now I really fw it. I really like it. Its very calm. Its not doing too much, it isn't a beast like the Xbox one X and it looks like it can fit just about everywhere. I have recently got into verticality builds and this one really does it for me.

I love the PS4 designs but I'm kidding myself if I believe Sony will come out with a better design than this. Y'all are going to need more space for that one. Sony use to be the king of compact too but it's not happening for the PS5.

Microsoft takes this one easily.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
"Xbox" is the platform or the brand and the model name is "Series X."

Xbox as a 20 year old brand is already ubiquitous enough that it probably doesn't need to be a part of the official product name. Judging by their reveal trailer today (first row XBOX, second row Series X), I'd wager all of their ads will simply refer to this product as Series X.

Phonetically, Series X is much easier to pronounce than "Xbox One X" or even just "Xbox."

Visually, they will always have that white Xbox globe logo visible so there's no mistaking it's the latest Xbox console.

While the name may seem somewhat sterile, I think it's a smart strategy. I dig it.

As for text abbreviation in these boards, the name is short enough so I'd type Series X.

Edit: Ugh. I meant to post the above in the 'XSX, XbSX or XS' thread. Still relevant so I'll just leave it here.
My opinion, too.

the iPhone demonstrated that people don't care about the models, as long as the brand is ingrained.

The Wii U problem was that people thought it was just the controller...

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
I like the design. Maybe because I've worked IT all my life. Looks like power emanating from it just sitting there.

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
Why are people acting like this will lead to mass confusion, they can just take the other consoles off shelves

Oct 30, 2017
As i knew I would be, I am now sadder that I didn't wait a year to by my LG OLED, because goddamn it, the 2019 supports variable frame rate and the 2018 does not.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Name is a bit shit and first thing I thought of when I saw it was the monolith from 2001, but everything else sounds excellent. Super powerful, quiet, back compat, sensible controller improvements - pretty much what I wanted.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
really got people in here questioning why it was announced now and not later like it's a negative lol. Put some joy in ya life. I'm glad as hell we got a nice peek and more info, and hopefully Sony pulls a 2013, and gives us some more PS5 info 2 months from now. This is an exciting time for gamers.

It should have been at their own event. Not sharing time with other things. 5 mins for the reveal, really?

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was laughing at the design of the console but now I really fw it. I really like it. Its very calm. Its not doing too much, it isn't a beast like the Xbox one X and it looks like it can fit just about everywhere. I have recently got into verticality builds and this one really does it for me.

I love the PS4 designs but I'm kidding myself if I believe Sony will come out with a better design than this. Y'all are going to need more space for that one. Sony use to be the king of compact too but it's not happening for the PS5.

Microsoft takes this one easily.

Lol, at least wait for the PS5 design to be revealed, sheesh.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So what do ya'll think? How long will the S and X be kept around for? Phil after all did say Hellblade 2 and other games by their new studios were exclusively in development for Series X.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I don't get one thing.
Is Series X supposed to be the name of the next gen Xbox line? Like will every console have a different name?

Or is it the real name of the next gen console?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Except most consoles fit in those spaces and have been suitable for those cabinets for 30 years?

Also, people don't buy a cabinet every time they buy a new console. You're telling me I needed to foresee next-gen consoles being much taller when I bought one last year, what works for all console released so far? Seriously don't get your point.

And no, I'm not talking about it placed horizontally, that wouldn't be a big problem but it looks much worse. Hope there are no problems with the airflow.

No, most modern consoles don't fit in those spaces either, because of air flow issues.
Also, you don't jsut get to dismiss the horizontal placing because you think it looks worse.

So that's both of those sorted.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
I don't get one thing.
Is Series X supposed to be the name of the next gen Xbox line? Like will every console have a different name?

Or is it the real name of the next gen console?
I think it's the name of the console but then down the line they might announce a series S like they did with Xbox One S which might be a stripped down version after a while.

I like how XBO controllers will still be usable with the XSX

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, at least wait for the PS5 design to be revealed, sheesh.

I wish I could but I just can't trust Sony to make it minimal and it sucks because they use to be the king of this! 🤕 But I really like this design. It's simple and as minimal as minimal gets. A tower is so space saving that I really just don't see Sony having something similar. It's definitely going to be another flat horizontal design and thats what makes Microsoft win hands down imo for my needs.