• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thoughts on the name?

• I like it

Votes: 2,141 37.2%
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Votes: 1,687 29.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 1,935 33.6%

• Total voters

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I think it's kind of funny that so many people in this thread are commenting on functional design flaws just based on its appearance like they know more than Microsoft's engineers.

Also, all these "it won't fit on my entertainment center" comments seem kind of disingenuous. Is your entertainment center an heirloom that your great grandfather hand carved from wood from the Brazilian rainforest? If your $400-$500 console won't fit on your $75 entertainment center, buy a new one or something. It's not that hard to make it work.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
And another large gaming event goes by, and again MS is the headliner. They're really doing well with keeping their name the primary focus in next-gen discussions.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they (and manufacturers in general) would drop the "Fastest, most powerful Xbox ever made" bullet point altogether. I know, marketing, duh, but literally every new generation is the most powerful.

Like, even the Wii and the Switch were the most powerful Nintendo systems ever made at the time of release.

Also, the name is terrible. My lord. Yet it's so on brand, with that sports car/dudebro-trying-to-be-classy sound.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I know I wasn't the only one who got confused when they revealed the name. It sounds like a new model rather than a brand new system. I don't think the Wii U comparisons are far off.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kind of funny that so many people in this thread are commenting on functional design flaws just based on its appearance like they know more than Microsoft's engineers.

Also, all these "it won't fit on my entertainment center" comments seem kind of disingenuous. Is your entertainment center an heirloom that your great grandfather hand carved from wood from the Brazilian rainforest? If your $400-$500 console won't fit on your $75 entertainment center, buy a new one or something. It's not that hard to make it work.

Didn't it say somewhere that it could be placed horizontally as well?

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Neither me because "high-end PCs" means the 50k$ workstations I work with in post-production, not what Linus or Steam Joe believes what "high-end" is. But seeing you here declaiming this was enlightening. No re.

Not a big fan of Linus,but him putting 4 quattros and like 8 optane drives in a workstation that alone start dwarfing your 50k, i think he knows quite well what high end is.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
XBox Series Triple X for the inevitable upgrade. Designwise it looks like an air purifier but that is not a bad thing per se I guess.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a big fan of Linus,but him putting 4 quattros and like 8 optane drives in a workstation that alone start dwarfing your 50k, i think he knows quite well what high end is.
Okay I misjudged him so, my bad. It was more about what he (mis)represented for me, the common figure of the hobbyist arguing about mainstream and pro's needs.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has truly outdone themselves.

Hey Timmy, want to play on my Xbox Series X, is a sentence that will never be uttered. From Xbox to Xbox 360, to Xbox One, to Xbox Series X, it seems like every generation they hold a contest to come up with a name that's even worse than the previous one. I guess they hope it sounds like a cool super car or something?
Do you actually think thats how people will say it?
Every gen people just say "Hey Timmy, want to play on my xbox?" Sometimes people would use 360, xbone, One X. It is no more effort than PS4, or Switch. Next gen, people will simply say 'New xbox' or even 'Series X'.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, you do the design a disservice setting it horizontally. It's far more appealing standing vertical.
Depends how annoying the green light thing is on the top. LED power lights and stuff bug the hell out of me. I have a sock just sitting in front of the power light of my XBox One X. lol

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
So... This is ne official name of the former project Scarlett. Now, what will be the final name of anaconda and Lockhart?
Not a big fan of this "let's put more x in there" that Ms is goin with lately.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can get behind the weird look of the console but that name? Again? Why can't they keep things simple?

We'll get used to it, but why is Sony the only one consistent with their naming scheme? It works and it doesn't confuse people. Phone manufacturers have been doing that with their phone for more than a decade and no one has ever complained. 🙄

Frankly, you do the design a disservice setting it horizontally. It's far more appealing standing vertical.

You are probably right, but the console vertically doesn't fit in my TV cabinet which, like many others, is generally made for DVD/BD players and has more horizontal space than vertical.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Do you actually think thats how people will say it?
Every gen people just say "Hey Timmy, want to play on my xbox?" Sometimes people would use 360, xbone, One X. It is no more effort than PS4, or Switch. Next gen, people will simply say 'New xbox' or even 'Series X'.

There's a lot of angry, confused folks out there trembling in fear at this naming convention. Think of how troubling this is for folks who want to discuss a console and don't even know what to properly call it!

I hate to see the gaming community have to suffer like this; it's just appalling.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The X-Bex, x-BOX, BoxS... or perhaps X-SeX.
I think it is a poor name choice that will create at least some confusion and not really bring any benefits.
XBox One to XBox One X to XBox Series X
XBox Two would be vastly more intuitive and clear to virtually anyone.
But then "it's a lower number than PS5" and also still as equally confusing because "wasn't the 360 the second XBOX" and "which gen is the Xbox Two again?" and etc etc.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Sorry if the question has already been asked, but does someone know if Xbox Series X games (like Hellblade 2) will work on Xbox One X?

The name of this new console totally confuse me.

Oct 25, 2017
I FUCKING LOVE IT Give Me The HIGH-END
32428.jpg

:P

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
it's a bad name unless they expound upon the whole series thing now and in the future. just bizarre naming conventions they have over there.

xbox/xbox 360/xbox one/xbox one s/xbox one x/xbox series x

somehow lacks the fluidity and simplicity of the ps1-5.

and the first thing that came to mind lookin at the design was those alienware alpha pc/console 'steam machines' that came out a long-ass time ago.

maxresdefault.jpg

3614974-series-xbox3.jpg

maybe not completely in-terms of form (though it'd be closer sitting flat instead of standing up) but in function. the line between pc/console is further blurred, it might as well be running windows on that thing lmfao

i'm already sold on getting it whenever it releases though. crappy name, looks good.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thy say the d-pad is like the Elite controller now, is that a good or bad or whatever thing?

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of angry, confused folks out there trembling in fear at this naming convention. Think of how troubling this is for folks who want to discuss a console and don't even know what to properly call it!

I hate to see the gaming community have to suffer like this; it's just appalling.
I remember the days when I would say 'Hey Timmy, want to come over to play some Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! on my Super Nintendo Entertainment System?' /s

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I like everything they have said about the system besides the name. I don't hate the name, and if it is a launching point to a simpler naming scheme for Xbox products I will appreciate it.

As others have pointed out it's possible there will be another Series, example Series S that is a base console whereas X is a premium product.

If it ends up being like Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X2, Xbox Series S2 in ~3 or ~6 year cycles I wouldn't mind it.

If it is just a once off name, eh, don't care for it.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
If gaming forums opinions on names are anything to go by, this is going to dominate next Gen and surprise everyone here.

I still remember the months of jokes about the "Wii" and how no one would know what it was, why didn't Nintendo just call it <insert fan favorite name> and having the 2x i was corny, on and on.

How did that turn out?

Ohh, but everyone thinks they nailed the confusion with Wii-U while ignoring all the other flaws that were likely more important to its failure.

I am endlessly amazed by how many people think they know better about everything game console related than who Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and other pay millions of dollars per year to know.

Any bets on how long it take after prices are announced for a bunch of people to argue that if they just charged $100 less per system they would sell a ton more and make it up with game sales!!!1!1!11!

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
That's a dumb ass Wii U-esque name and it will confuse alot of parents. The console itself looks alright.

Huggie

Oct 22, 2018
Apparently the size of the series X is 12" x 6" x 6" so its not as big as the picture makes it look.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Should have been Xbox Infinity X and S for weaker model. Series X is a really weird choice

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly my only problem is the logo. They needed a new logo to make it newer than X1. Same with the controller's logo.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Love the design of the console, hate the name. "Series X" really? Its just a slightly less confusing naming version of Wii vs WiiU (particularly towards the Xbox One X). It might lead to awkward moments like this:

Casual Buyer: I would like to buy the next generation Xbox.
Sales Attendant: That would be the Xbox Series X.
Casual Buyer: Yes, yes, i specifically said Xbox, didn't i? Not the Playstation series of consoles.
Sales Attendant: . . . . .

Why not something like "Xbox DX" (D as in the 4th generation Xbox) . . . . if you're going to release more powerful versions this generation then go Xbox DX2, DX3 DX4 etc. or if we're going generation-less, go EX, FX, GX etc.
Doesn't seem like a very realistic conversation in a retail store to me.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
This didn't start with the Xbox. Remember this mess?

https://www.engadget.com/2010/02/17/windows-phone-7-series-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

Eventually the "7 series" was dropped because it was a nonsensical branding that only confused people.
good point. hilarious that a company with its resources over at redmond continually doesn't get how important a good name is. i mean, we adjust as consumers and we'll just call it the xsx or whatever, but that doesn't ever make them good names... though i guess when the two skus hit it'll make more sense? and we'll get more at e3 or their own conference to go over all this and the reasoning behind the name

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
You are probably right, but the console vertically doesn't fit in my TV cabinet which, like many others, is generally made for DVD/BD players and has more horizontal space than vertical.

The real question is why do people buy cabinets to hold VCR/DVD/BD players when nboody buys those anymore, they're all pretty much dead formats, aren't they?
DVD sales dropped nearly 90% in 10 or so years and are still higher than BD sales.

Buy cabients to fit devices you plan to own, not what you're "supposed" to fit in there.

Besides all that, it doesn't really look that huge, placed horizontally. Volume looks less than fat X1.

spwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought it was be version of Xbox one when I heard of the name.

Then the look like pc tower.

Did anyone at MS do some market research? Or is the price going to be so big that they are marketing it to PC gamers first?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Name was weird and clunky at first but It's already grown on me.

consumers won't be confused if they know to ask for "the fucking black tower one"

Just think of the name as "Xbox Series" or "Xbox Ceres"
You get used to names really quick. You see it with alot of releases. The same comments. :)

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
I think the name is terrible and will only cause confusion.
On the other side i quite like the design even though i'm probably going to have a hard time finding it a place under the TV.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Should have been Xbox Infinity X and S for weaker model. Series X is a really weird choice

I love examples like this. Not saying "infinity" fits the bill here, but have you thought to ask the following questions.

What do the words for Infinity in all major languages mean or are perceived as meaning to people who speak those languages?

What, if any, are the negative connotations associated with the perception of what infinity implies to different societies, cultures, and religions?

If a console product carried the name "infinity" how would that impact it's sales in some areas where the term or impression put forth by use of the term has negative perceptions or connotations?

Are there any existing products in the world, especially in the EU, that carry the name "infinity" that could prevent a product with that name releasing there? (See SkyDrive being renamed to One Drive)

There are a ton of backseat marketing and sales experts permeating this and many other similar threads that don't know the first thing about creating, managing, and building upon a brand name or the worldwide challenges associated with naming any product that is targeting having a broad international audience.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think the name is terrible and will only cause confusion.
On the other side i quite like the design even though i'm probably going to have a hard time finding it a place under the TV.

Wasn't the One an even worse name in comparison? At least they're not going for the ultra casual market or letting the controller take front and center in marketing like the Wii U. Not quite the same level of branding catastrophe. I think people will figure it out.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Part of me thinks this isn't the final name, and that it will be something like Xbox 5X for Anaconda, and Xbox 5S for Lockhart

Edit: or maybe series is a BMW type of thing where Xbox 5 series X is Lockhart and equivalent to PS5 (at least from marketing perspective), and Xbox 7 series X is Anaconda and it's supposed to indicate it's another level above.

There's definitely something about the naming we're missing

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Very simple, yet bold and elegant design. Love it.

I like that they are going back to just Xbox with the name. Smart move and don't get the hate on that?

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if the question has already been asked, but does someone know if Xbox Series X games (like Hellblade 2) will work on Xbox One X?

The name of this new console totally confuse me.

they haven't really confirmed anything on that front, they pretty much gave a non-answer when Kotaku asked them about it:

We asked if it's Series X exclusive or will also run on Xbox One, and an Xbox rep replied: "At The Game Awards, we shared that "Senua's Saga: Hellblade II" will be available exclusively on Xbox consoles and PC."