• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thoughts on the name?

• I like it

Votes: 2,141 37.2%
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Votes: 1,687 29.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 1,935 33.6%

• Total voters

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ELofsB3XYAAWlTp

I really don't like this design. I really hope PS5 is not like this.
Shiite literally looks like a mincraft box

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Im meh on the new name.

Personally I don't think it matters but it's just kinda weird.

Whatever they do with the branding will determine whether the name sticks or not. Microsoft usually does branding pretty well.

I think the design is super interesting.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truly terrible name.
It isn't though. This marks a permanent change. Xbox Series X will be the enthusiast console and Xbox Series S will be the entry level console. Makes perfect sense. When they eventually release new systems it'll be "2025 Xbox Series X", etc... Really simplifies things.

Nov 8, 2017
Complete gibberish name lmao. Not as bad as "Xbox One", but only slightly.

I hope I can rotate it because my media cabinet will not fit that standing up and I'm not buying new furniture.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
The addition of that digital pad is most welcome. And the Monolith? Fine with me - it's like the Microsoft Metro love child of the Monolith and the Apple G4 Cube. The related press release also notes RDNA and Zen 2, as rumored.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so why would buy an Xbox, when i Could build a pc for future at my own expense? Like that's my confusion is coming from: why Would I buy this over a pc. The latter I could make stronger on my own.
it might have great price/performance or other nice features. the same reason you would buy any pc over any other.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this will cause brand confusion with the Xbox One X.
When the best case scenario is everyone starts calling it the "sexbox", you're in trouble. Doesn't help that we're almost certainly going to see a revival of the "XBOX HUGE" meme, except that it'll be "SEXBOX HUGE" instead.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
in real life it's like coming across a full size silent panther and even though it's powered on — it's so quiet and still — you're like "that's not a real, alive wild animal right? It's not gonna wake up and eat my face is it?" I admit I have an unhealthy romantic interest in it, but goodness is it ever a lovely object.

And yes it will fit in your av setup. But now you also have the option to have it sit in the public sphere as a thing of beauty to gamers and enigmatic function to NORMIES who as it turns out have also been gamers the whole time.

last time(s) I loved a console design(s) this much were the Panasonic GameCube (don't judge me AND it played DVDs!) and the vectrex because the vectrex shape was also an essential combination of form and function.

I'm guessing you've seen it, is it as big as it seemed in the trailer?

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
so why would buy an Xbox, when i Could build a pc for future at my own expense? Like that's my confusion is coming from: why Would I buy this over a pc. The latter I could make stronger on my own.

I mean look. I expect this Xbox to be like $500-$600. If the leaked specs are accurate, could you even build a PC for close to that price? (I'd assume building would be more like $800 minimum).

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
It is interesting they went for the "tower" look. And it looked huge, especially given the scale they were showing off in the trailer.

But watch it again...

The console is the width of a Xbox One controller. And as tall as about 3 of them.

That is approximately 6" x 13" and I am guessing the depth will be 4" to 6". The Original Xbox One was 13.1 x 10.8 x 3.1"

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Where are people planning on putting this horizontally? Every media console I ever owned has too small of shelves.

edit: since others have said it's smaller then a receiver, that isn't bad.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
have they established whether you can use it on its side or not yet? 'cause if not, this thing is gonna be a pain to fit into a lot of setups.

also the name is both terrible and likely to be confusing for the average person in a similar way to 'Wii U'. 'so do i want the one x or the series x?'

EDIT:

Kotaku says it can go horizontal.

ah, well that's good at least.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
The dpad looks close to the elite controller dpad which wasn't to bad. Better then regular Xbox dpad in my opinion.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people saying its huge. It look roughly two blu-rays tall and as wide and deep as the controller. That is not big at all.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok that fact they confirmed it works horizontal I'm back in bay beeee. They want it to blend with your other devices not stick out like a sore thumb it makes sense and Hellblade 2 looked fucking great

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
Now where in the world am I going to put that thing Microsoft? I'd have to like take out a shelf from my entertainment center or something.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
in real life it's like coming across a full size silent panther and even though it's powered on — it's so quiet and still — you're like "that's not a real, alive wild animal right? It's not gonna wake up and eat my face is it?" I admit I have an unhealthy romantic interest in it, but goodness is it ever a lovely object.

And yes it will fit in your av setup. But now you also have the option to have it sit in the public sphere as a thing of beauty to gamers and enigmatic function to NORMIES who as it turns out have also been gamers the whole time.

last time(s) I loved a console design(s) this much were the Panasonic GameCube (don't judge me AND it played DVDs!) and the vectrex because the vectrex shape was also an essential combination of form and function.

Like a panther huh? So it's quite a beast, would you say? Glad to hear the impressions from someone who's seen it. Looks dope.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Cool they revealed it this early. Was super impressed by Hellblade 2, although sceptical of the inengine visuals (very happy to be proven wrong!). Thing the design is pretty terrible and the name is cheesy though.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So aside from the terrible name and awful design, where the hell do they expect me to put this?

in before "up my ass"