• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, barring Kinect, the entire Xbox One library will work on Series X out of the box. The same XB and 360 games that are incompatible now will continue to be incompatible. (But maybe not forever-- *crosses fingers*)

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
They need to figure out some way to enhance resolution. Non enhanced games look terrible on a 4K panel. Aliasing is a problem. Not sure if such a thing is feasible.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
RELEASE THE LIST! Release the list! releasethelist

I'm a bit skeptical about this, just because there have been a lot of people with Series X consoles already and testing back compat games and I haven't noticed them coming back and talking up the doubled framerates. So maybe this is a very limited-application feature.
Embargoes. But we're gonna start seeing them.

They need to figure out some way to enhance resolution. Non enhanced games look terrible on a 4K panel. Aliasing is a problem. Not sure if such a thing is feasible.
They.. already have. It's called the Heutchy method, and is mentioned in the OP. They've been able to bring OG Xbox games and 360 games to 4k. And it looks like they'll be able to use it for some One games too (no examples, so we'll see). BC games also automatically have access to 16x anisotropic filtering, which helps with aliasing as well.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Their BC team does damn good work, consistently going above and beyond what anyone would reasonably expect.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance of some new OG Xbox or 360 games being added to BC w/ Series X launch?

Really hoping for the DoA2U or 3 to get added.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Their BC team does damn good work, consistently going above and beyond what anyone would reasonably expect.
I think it's about what they were saying before about creating a more PC-like ecosystem:

When you buy new hardware, your old software should all come with you and also see substantial improvements. So while the means of providing that isn't necessarily the same as how it is on PC, they're doing what they can to provide that concept/experience.

And this is what I've been saying in response to people who complain about not enough next-gen content to justify a day one purchase (for either console): Any premium you're paying for buying the console now versus waiting a year or two is completely justified by the better overall experience you're going to have playing all of your existing games during that time.

Like, what are you going to really save? At best, you're going to get a $50 off or an extra bundled controller on these consoles next year for Black Friday. And you're not going to save more than a $100 by waiting until the following year either. So isn't it worth that $50 to play all of your games for the next 12 months with way faster load times and at better resolutions with better framerates? Or $100 to enjoy the same for an entire two years?

I think the whole thing is a no-brainer.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am trying to think of really badly performing games and seeing what we get. Just Cause maybe? lol

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Seems like today would be the day, right?

(or maybe they're just pushing the patch that releases them today, and the embargo for the coverage will be Friday/Monday?)
You'd need enough titles to test. Then you'd need to enable them all on the consoles. And most importantly, there'd need to be enough time to test the titles and then write them up. My guess is they're spreading out coverage anyway, though. If you get info drops regularly, those of us who follow the news will always have something coming up soon. And the people who pay less attention won't mind either way.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's possible but we're just waiting for official confirmation by Xbox.

Dead or Alive 3 is unlikely due to licensing issues due to several Aerosmith songs being in it

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Itagaki's obsession with that group. Pretty sure 2U has Aerosmith in the intro, too.

Boo urns. Thanks!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Itagaki's obsession with that group. Pretty sure 2U has Aerosmith in the intro, too.

Boo urns. Thanks!
You never know. It all depends on the details of the licensing deal. They may perhaps be able to allow those games to BC but can't allow the digital version to be sold unless the licenses are renegotiated. So the only way you could play through BC is having a physical disc like Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Currently playing Fallout 4 and I legit think I will hold off on it until I get a Series X in a month. This is incredibly good stuff.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got LOTS of games to carry over, so this is amazing to see.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
My laptop with a 1050 ti runs the game at 60 FPS so I don't see how the much more powerful Series S doing it is surprising?

The game on console has a 30 fps cap, and this is a sort of "middleware" solution that can improve BC titles past those limits without an individual game patch. It's similar to the 4K enhancements to original Xbox and 360 games.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I couldn't care less about Crackdown, but it's still mind-blowing to see.
???

One uses full clocks. The other uses a system level toggle to enable full clocks and a disable in case there is an issue.

There is no advantage on either side. Its the same functionality, except it can be turned off one system.

It is literally positive PR spin out of nothing.
There is a advantage on Xbox side, because it doesn't need legacy modes and if you hit a game on PS5, which officially breaks the game, then legacy mode will be enabled. Legacy games won't run or look better than on PS4/Pro. That's the difference.
Microsoft's solution creates no compatibility issues so it is an advantage. They run the games in a VM.

Just to clarify, because this isn't really my thing: does this mean that non-optimized games will get 60fps? For example, I was going to play Dark Souls: Remastered (and afterwards, likely DS2 and 3) for the first time on my One X this month. Should I wait until next month to do that?
Non optimized games could be twice the FPS. However the Xbox team will select which games are getting the enhancements based on their testings. If you didn't know, some games tie game logic and physics to the framerate, which would break the game when running with twice the framerate.
If they add HDR where it wasn't mastered for it originally; they boost framerate beyond what was originally designed; add Af etc. At some point does it become less about preserving and more about adding a shiny coat of paint?
You could see it that way and in a way it is imo. However I think the enhanced games fit with the memories people have about the games, because in a humans mind old games always look better than they actually did.
It is literally just marketing.

No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the consoles for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, with significantly higher performance than their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality.

They are taking a clear snipe at PS5. Boost does the same thing while giving the user option to disable it in cases where they find a game crashes because of it
So in your opinion Microsoft shouldn't be allowed to tell people that their BC work is so good that they don't need fallback modes for compatibility? Ok, I guess. Not every blog post is about console wars. They are just clearly proud about their solution and their advantages.

Last edited:

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is literally just marketing.

No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the consoles for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, with significantly higher performance than their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality.

They are taking a clear snipe at PS5. Boost does the same thing while giving the user option to disable it in cases where they find a game crashes because of it.

happy to see they can do it without boosts *shrugs*

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The game on console has a 30 fps cap, and this is a sort of "middleware" solution that can improve BC titles past those limits without an individual game patch. It's similar to the 4K enhancements to original Xbox and 360 games.
I'm curious to know how they do it, I wonder if they are essentially "modding" titles to do it.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
More than likely, just overwriting directx calls with new values. But if an application is hardcoded to values in any way, it would fall inot the "nope...can't do it" pile

(Very similar to Dante's fix for Dark Souls on PC)

So nice of Dante from DMC to fix that bad Dark Souls port for us.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
unless you're crazy about Kinect, why in the world would you keep a One X if you're getting a Series X

I don't really care about Kinect but i'd rather leave the door open. I've set up my hardware/device collection so that at any time i'm able to play any current or older game if i want to.

Plus One X is a more compact. If i'm visiting my parents it will be much easier to pack in my Switch and One X.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the frame rate will be doubled for Dark Souls 3. I've finished it on PS4/PC, but I couldn't on Xbox One because the framerate/resolution was so poor.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
More than likely, just overwriting directx calls with new values. But if an application is hardcoded to values in any way, it would fall inot the "nope...can't do it" pile

(Very similar to Durante fix for Dark Souls on PC)
Yeah, this is what I imagine . Finding the hex value for the FPS cap and changing it. That's possibly a massive disservice , but I'd love to know

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Noob Xbox question, do you have to subscribe to anything to get access to the BC games? Like if I bought a Series X and wanted to play original Xbox games, do I need game pass or live or whatever?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Polygon is claiming that the origonal Crackdown runs at 60fpa on Series X.
www.polygon.com

The Xbox Series X is the Xbox 360 of my dreams

Finally, games like Crackdown can fulfill their potential

I wonder if this is true? I thought it was originally 30? Maybe the framerate was always unlocked?
The framerate was capped at 30fps.

Noob Xbox question, do you have to subscribe to anything to get access to the BC games? Like if I bought a Series X and wanted to play original Xbox games, do I need game pass or live or whatever?
No.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
There are many X360 games (and some OG Xbox games) on Game Pass, but you don't have to subscribe to anything, no.
You can just buy them individually on the store or insert a disc if you have one.

Live is still required for multiplayer, obviously.