• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
excellent news! the most interesting thing is doubling the framerate of course. looks like there is just a few titles ....

Dark Souls 3, Alien Isolation , Dead Space series , the Evil Within series , Skyrim and more ..... needs to run at 60fps !

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What? This is the very first time we have actual proof that Microsoft's wizards made it possible to double the frame rates on a game without touching the actual game code. Actually it was discussed just yesterday and even doubted to be a thing at all.

We definitely knew about unlocked framerates automatically hitting 60 fps without touching the code. Is this something different (genuinely asking)?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Do we expect Skyrim to run at 60 or is that capped at 30 on XB1?

Skyrim Special Edition runs on the same version of the engine as Fallout 4 (iirc it was just an internal test of the engine changes where they used Skyrim as a testbed and eventually decided to release it because it was a fully functional "next gen" Skyrim) so I have to imagine that if the BC team has gotten their technique to work on Fallout 4, they will likely have it working on Skyrim, similar to the Oblivion/Fallout 3 being X enhanced at the same time

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Lordy. This is almost making me reconsider not getting a Series X since I also plan on building a new PC. I've got piles of 360 games I would love to play again with higher framerates (where applicable). I don't think I can justify $500 for backwards compatibility though when I'm not sure there will be any exclusives that don't come to PC. I shelled out for an Xbox One when Halo 5 came out and got Rare Replay but I didn't touch BC on it at all and now it's boxed up. Maybe down the line when its cheaper I can justify it being a backwards compatibility machine. Oddly enough, the way the PS5 handles PS4 games will be a deciding factor on how soon I get one but I won't get into that here.

Really cool stuff and hopefully there's a good chunk of games I own that aren't physics/animation bound to 30fps

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
All I need is 120 fps for NG Black and 2. I'd buy a Series X for that alone.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
In the same way older Xbox One games used the Full power of Xbox One X. No game will be using the full power of Xbox Series X unless it is designed for it. Sekiro running at 60fps is not using the full power of Series X and neither is Assassins creed Unity.
There seem to be some confusion as to what using the full power of the series x means in this context. Both the Xbox One X and The PS4 pro did not allow games that weren't originally compiled for them to use the full power of the hardware. They were restricted from accessing the entire hardware for compatibility reasons. The Series S/X on the other hand allows games that weren't intended for the those consoles to "see" and utilize the entirety of the hardware. That's what they mean by "full power". Sekiro and AC Untiy are definitely accessing the full power of the hardware but they are just using it in an inefficient way, that's what games compiled from the ground up for the Series S/X is for.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is? I just read the OP again and still don't see it.
New technology to double framerates

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S bring next-gen performance to your favorite games. Higher, steadier framerates make games feel smoother, resulting in more immersive gameplay. Many improvements are the result of the custom designed processor that allows compatible games to play and leverage the increased CPU, GPU and memory from the new consoles. In addition however, the backward compatibility team has developed new methods for effectively doubling the framerate on select titles. While not applicable for many titles due to the game's original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware. Fallout 4 framerate, shown below, is effectively doubled from 30fps to 60fps on Xbox Series S, delivering a new way to preserve and enjoy this legendary title.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yes, the example on the OP shows fallout 4, which is a game with a 30fps cap.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

While true, I think a lot of people would not know off hand that Fallout 4 has a locked framerate. It would actually be really helpful if OP included a note that this is for games with locked framerates.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That says nothing about being for games with locked framerates.

I have no idea what is going on. I'm replying to litebrite's post with a quote from the OP, but his post disappears above.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That says nothing about being for games with locked framerates.
LOL That's the whole point of doubling the framerate and why it only works on select games. C'mon now, do you need everything spelled out for you. The first part of the paragraph addresses unstable framerates reaching their caps more often or locked through BC on XSX/XSS.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm floored by the BC team. Wizards.

I hope some of my personal favourites get the boosts as well like XCOM 2, Deus Ex MD. Some games are totally different experiences with frames and res boosted.

I can't wait to see what games get the enhancements and to what extent.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL That's the whole point of doubling the framerate and why it only works on select games. C'mon now, do you need everything spelled out for you. The first part of the paragraph addresses unstable framerates reaching their caps more often or locked through BC on XSX/XSS.

Dude, you are off base and rude. That wording would absolutely fit the old feature of games with unlocked framerates too. Because guess what? Those are select games too. The quote you provided does not make it clear.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, you are off base and rude. That wording would absolutely fit the old feature of games with unlocked framerates too. Because guess what? Those are select games too. The quote you provided does not make it clear.
I was not trying to be rude, but pointing out what's obvious that for some reason you seem to clearly miss. The first part of the paragraph addresses unstable/unlocked framerates made steadier. The second part of the paragraph I bolded addresses doubling the framerates in select games using techniques/methods by the BC team. I have no idea why you think I'm off base when I'm clearly not.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. Games with variable fps were expected to hit close or are even running at the maximum frame rate possible. This here goes beyond that and the emulator makes the game run at twice the original frame rate, possible only on games where the game logic is not tied to the refresh rate.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'm a bit skeptical about this, just because there have been a lot of people with Series X consoles already and testing back compat games and I haven't noticed them coming back and talking up the doubled framerates. So maybe this is a very limited-application feature.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I was recently told that the Xbox Series X (or any console ) could not run at sustained clocks all of the time and 12TF is the theroetical max, but this seems to disprove that.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit skeptical about this, just because there have been a lot of people with Series X consoles already and testing back compat games and I haven't noticed them coming back and talking up the doubled framerates. So maybe this is a very limited-application feature.
The whole coverage so far is built on Microsoft NDA which controls when and what to say. We haven't had coverage of enhanced games in any way yet while we know several games will receive updates. That said, every game receiving such an update is great to have and I'm eager to see what else they were able to do with their superior emulation technique.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
The doubling of framerate in previously framerate locked games is fucking incredible. Microsoft is killing it with their backwards compatibility.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was not trying to be rude, but pointing out what's obvious that for some reason you seem to clearly miss. The first part of the paragraph addresses unstable/unlocked framerates made steadier. The second part of the paragraph I bolded addresses doubling the framerates in select games using techniques/methods by the BC team. I have no idea why you think I'm off base when I'm clearly not.

I don't agree with you, but that's fine. Let's move on so as not to clutter up the thread.

Oct 29, 2017

This will not apply across the board. It's going to be like 4K 360 games on X1X, limited to certain games with a handful rolling out at a time.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
they should go all out, dig deep in assembly code and just hack those games to run at 60. unless that is what they already do, but it sounds too tame for that lol

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
The whole coverage so far is built on Microsoft NDA which controls when and what to say. We haven't had coverage of enhanced games in any way yet while we know several games will receive updates. That said, every game receiving such an update is great to have and I'm eager to see what else they were able to do with their superior emulation technique.
Yeah, my other thought is that they're "releasing" or otherwise making available like 200 games per week to the people with preview consoles.

So it may be that they're releasing them in tiers: (1) games without framerate doubling, (2) games with framerate doubling, and (3) games with Series X/S enhancements.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with you, but that's fine. Let's move on so as not to clutter up the thread.
There's nothing to disagree on. I was just trying to help you out by pointing out in the OP where it states about "doubling the framerate". Reminder to self: not to help you out in the future because it's not worth the hassle.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
They have a preview build console, not final build, also MS will continue to release updates for BC to improve performance, and add to the library of games..

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This kind of enhancements for games that I especially like and/or are part of my backlog are low-key one of the highlights of jumping into the new systems early. The BC engineering team at Microsoft has blown away expectations over and over again.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing to disagree on. I was just trying to help you out by pointing out in the OP where it states about "doubling the framerate". Reminder to self: not to help you out in the future because it's not worth the hassle.

I say let's move on and you keep at it? I said I disagree that the quote makes it crystal clear. I guess you can't let it go though.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say let's move on and you keep at it? I said I disagree that the quote makes it clear. I guess you can't let it go though.
I merely responded to your post and I was through and moved on. Yet you responded back and create a false narrative that I can't let it go? LOL SMH Y'see what I'm talking about? There's no point ever trying to help you out again. Nothing personal. I just learned from this experience in how to better interact with you in the future.

Are you going to let it go now? Or me responding back is me not letting it go? LOL

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Microsoft does a great job at hyping this up, but in the end it's only going to be a handful of titles that receive the enhancements, and from the looks of it we're going to have to wait for games to be whitelisted for BC over time.

I'm still keeping my One X/360/OG since there's a ton of older games that are never going to be available.

Edit: 360 instead of 365

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
In case it's not clear to anyone, the new info in the article is about doubling the maximum possible framerate in games already hitting their caps behind-the-scenes. So a game previously limited to a maximum of either 30 (or 60 fps) could play with a new max of 60 (or 120 fps). Similar to the 1X enhancements from current gen, these are on a title-by-title basis, because they need to be tested for unintended complications. The article and OP describes this with some concrete examples, to help clarify the difference between the new hardware making the games play at their current limits, vs going beyond that. It's also nice to have it confirmed further that those enhancements are present on both Series S and X.