• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

New technology to double framerates

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S bring next-gen performance to your favorite games. Higher, steadier framerates make games feel smoother, resulting in more immersive gameplay. Many improvements are the result of the custom designed processor that allows compatible games to play and leverage the increased CPU, GPU and memory from the new consoles. In addition however, the backward compatibility team has developed new methods for effectively doubling the framerate on select titles. While not applicable for many titles due to the game's original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware. Fallout 4 framerate, shown below, is effectively doubled from 30fps to 60fps on Xbox Series S, delivering a new way to preserve and enjoy this legendary title.

Enhanced visuals you have to see to believe

On the Xbox One, we were able to provide a curated list of titles that were enhanced for the Xbox One X via the Heutchy method. This allowed titles from Xbox 360 that rendered at 720p and original Xbox games that ran at 360p to play at 4K on Xbox One X, well beyond the capabilities of their original platform. The Heutchy method continues to be used to bring a variety of titles to 1440p on Xbox Series S and 4K on Xbox Series X.

Xbox-Series-S_-Backwards-Compatibility_-Resolution-Improvements.jpg

Auto HDR for everyone

Modern games often implement high dynamic range (HDR) to improve overall visual quality. HDR allows a game to render a much larger range of brightness values and colors. This gives an extra sense of richness and depth to the image when compared to a standard dynamic range (SDR) image. For example, the light from a flashlight looks much brighter and red flowers look much more vibrant.

However, thousands of Xbox games shipped before HDR was first introduced with Xbox One S, and even for some Xbox One games, developers simply didn't have the development resources or time to implement HDR. With Xbox Series X and Series S we are introducing a new feature named Auto HDR. Auto HDR automatically adds HDR enhancements to games which only shipped with SDR. Auto HDR enhances the visual quality of an SDR game without changing the original artistic intent of the game. Auto HDR is implemented by the system so developers don't have to do any work to take advantage of this feature. Also, since Auto HDR is enabled by the console's hardware, there is absolutely no performance cost to the CPU, GPU or memory and there is no additional latency added ensuring you receive the ultimate gaming experience.

The below images show how Auto HDR can improve the visual quality without changing the overall look of the game. The HDR images are brighter and more colorful only in the naturally expected areas, while the rest of the image retains its original intent.

Xbox-Series-X-S_-Backwards-Compatibility_-Auto-HDR.jpg

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S Will Be the Best Place to Play 1000s of Games From Across Four Generations of Xbox - Xbox Wire

As gamers, we know how important it is to preserve and respect your gaming legacy. We believe your favorite games and franchises, your progression and achievements, your Xbox One gaming accessories and the friendships and communities you create through gaming should all move with you across...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
60fps Fallout 4 on Series S? Is this actualy releasing or just a tech demo?!

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to replay Fallout 4 (haven't touched it since I beat it when it launched) at 60fps! Looking forward to it.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fallout 4 looks smooth. Wonder if they'll unlock the framerate on PS5, too? It's part of the PS Plus Collection, I believe!

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Can you turn off the Auto HDR?

I honestly don't like the way it looks in their examples, which is probably some of the better looking cases I guess?

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I guess it`s a dump question, but does this "Auto HDR" also work on monitors which don`t support true HDR (HDR 400 etc.)?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Super impressive what they're doing with backward compatibility here. If I didn't own a gaming PC I'd absolutely be picking up a series X/S. Killer long-term value.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty cool! I played Fallout 4 at launch but I think I'm going to be loading it up with mods and trying again the XSX.

Mar 8, 2018
Also in here is them talking about boosting resolutions on older games to 1440p on the S using the Heutchy method. Won't happen everywhere, but very cool.

Nov 8, 2017
Sounds awesome. I think the reference to 360p on OG xblx is mistaken, those games were 480i/p or 576i/p on pal regions for almost every game iirc.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's a Microsoft game so I'm assuming that this isn't just a tech demo.

Well the video says Technical Demo and they've done this before (like the Series X Minecraft RTX demo that we've never seen since).

Just wondering if they confirmed that this upgrade would actually release. Absolute magicians.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Well .. someone at MS was clearly reading that Yakuza thread to release this news at this time :p

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MS: Xbox will be the best place to play thanks to these enhancements.
Era: But will this come to the PS5??

Lol c'mon people.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
So the 60 fps is a patch made by MS without Bethesda? It'll be interesting to see how many games gets 60fps exclusive patches that don't make it to ps5.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, they really put no boost mode as some sort of positive spin.

How sad.
I'm pretty sure they were saying it's already on for every game, no need to turn on a boost mode setting. Not sure how it's sad. It does seem like a slight dig at the Playstation method of BC so maybe that's what you meant?

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like for the first 6 months I will likely be replaying X360 and X1 games. Gamepass and EA Play will ensure that.