• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hypothetically, if you got a console early due to a retailer mistake, how early is too early to avoid getting in trouble when going online?

Feels like a week is usually fine, but 2 weeks will get the MS SWAT team to crash through your window

I doubt MS or Sony would do something if you happen to have a console earlier.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetically, if you got a console early due to a retailer mistake, how early is too early to avoid getting in trouble when going online?

Feels like a week is usually fine, but 2 weeks will get the MS SWAT team to crash through your window (or you would get your account dinged in some way)
They wont do anything, same with software.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020

Feels like a week is usually fine, but 2 weeks will get the MS SWAT team to crash through your window (or you would get your account dinged in some way)
I got an Xbox 360 8 days before retail launch via the Pepsi/Doritos "be first to play" contest. For the first couple days it wouldn't even connect to xbox live. Luckily I had some games on disc for it.

No SWAT team busted through my door, just a very confused customer support representative when I called in.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Yeah, and on the right side its up front right? Thats how I did the comparision. Any human that doesnt know how does the top of the console looks like doesnt know its actually box for XSX either.
Meanwhile Apple can release 4 different models of iPhone 12 and no one is confused but we're fucking confused with two gaming consoles that are not even look the same. Ffs

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Why that Halo is on the box? It's not even a launch game.
The sign off artwork and the production and logistics tied to producing millions of those pieces of cardboard packaging will have been done months ago.
Also the Xbox with that art is going to be on sale when Halo launches serval months from now.
And as others have said; Master Chief to Xbox is like Mario is to Nintendo.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

I highly doubt you'd get in trouble, Stores on the other hand could get blacklisted.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Their registers will prevent sale unfortunately. I saw Spyro out for sale on switch a few days early and when they rang it up it wouldn't sell ;_; dumb because it's a game that was already out on other systems too.
Yep, starting with the Harry Potter releases big box retailers were heavily incentivized by product sellers to change point of sale systems to lock out products until the official release time. Harry Potter in particular had salty penalties for breaking street dates.

No system is being sold early at a box store, you have a better chance at a smaller retailer.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

you won't get in trouble.
I highly doubt you'd get in trouble, Stores on the other hand could get blacklisted.
Shoot, there might be an achievement unlocked for going online early.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
itll make it pretty easy when theres no other xboxes on the shelf. they stopped production

this isnt gonna be a problem,, people need to stop pretending it is. people go into stores and say gimme xbox or playstation

I am not pretending. I see it as a (tiny) problem. It just bothers me that its not crystal clear on the box. Every customer should look at the box and in that instant know what it is. I am not feeling it in that picture. I just wish there would be some bigger logo or shot of the actual console. I am not saying it will create a lot of confusion but thinking it wont do any is foolish (yeah, I know that number probably isnt accurate but still, it did create a lot of confusion).

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
uVOZEqz.jpg

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't think there would be trouble. They can easily have a "day-one required update" ready that unlocks the console so you can't do much on it anyway. Would be hilarious to just show a countdown :)

Jan 11, 2020
If i didnt know what i am looking for in that picture, I wouldnt even know its next gen console from Xbox. their packaging is weird. Jump In slogan is bigger than any Series X/S logo on their console packages lol. This surely wont add to confusion about their names (Xbox One, S, One X, SX, SS)
Well, it's not hard to guess what kind of fanboy you are at least ;)

On topic:
It's so close next gen is almost here boys n' gals n' ±! Glorious times coming up, cant wait to own everything, not play anything but reading all about it here on ResetEra! <3

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I will check a local store here that often has electronics before it's actual release. :9

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Well, it's not hard to guess what kind of fanboy you are at least ;)

On topic:
It's so close next gen is almost here boys n' gals n' ±! Glorious times coming up, cant wait to own everything, not play anything but reading all about it here on ResetEra! <3

I am going to have Series X sooner than PS5 (by choice) and I own Xbox One X while i sold my PS4 months ago. Maybe dont guess next time?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Better not be real boxes sitting there when allotments are in short enough supply that Amazon tells me my preorder may not be day one!

Jan 11, 2020
I am going to have Series X sooner than PS5 (by choice) and I own Xbox One X while i sold my PS4 months ago. Maybe dont guess next time?
Haha maybe check that it's the back of the box ye?
It's pretty obvious that it's a Series console.. what that mean might not be as intuitive as a numbered generation but that's another story :)

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
In Japan game cases and console boxes and boxes are empty. These are for preorder, as others have already mentioned.
Looks beautiful though. Not much time left until 10/11!