• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
User Banned (3 days): Platform warring, antagonizing other members
Fuck it I am out. Not going to argue against sweaty circlejerking that goes around here. We will eventually see how powerful they both are when games are out. Just don't be upset when some games will work better on PS5 even when it's not "strongest console ever".

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think he's under the theorised impression that the PS5 will be able to save a system image or cache aside OS functions thanks to the speed of the SSD, thus allowing for more ram use for games, but this is not confirmed in any way.

Thats fine if you don't want any background services running. No trophies, no chat, no messaging, no background downloads

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Fuck it I am out. Not going to argue against sweaty circlejerking that goes around here. We will eventually see how powerful they both are when games are out. Just don't be upset when some games will work better on PS5 even when it's not "strongest console ever".
If you're leaving, go ahead, but please don't undermine actual technical discussion with "sweaty circlejerking".

If you don't know something, like how I don't really know the details on tech, it's okay to just say that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Now
That's a easy way out I guess. Sorry but its fact that XSX uses 13.5 gb for games. Not 10gb. If you are called out on a fact just say your wrong. We all are sometimes.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
copy paste from a Stadia thread:
CPU
PlayStation 5
: Custom Zen 2 CPU with eight Cores at 3.5 GHz (Variable Frequency)

Xbox Series X: Custom Zen 2 CPU with eight Cores at 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz with Simultaneous Multithreading)

Stadia: Custom 2.7GHz hyper-threaded x86 CPU with AVX2 SIMD and 9.5MB L2+L3 cache

GPU
PlayStation 5
: Custom RDNA 2, 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)

Xbox Series X: Custom RDNA 2, 12.15 TFLOPs, 52 CUs at 1.825 GHz

Stadia: Custom AMD GPU, 10.7 TFLOPs, 56 CUs guestimated to run at 1.495GHz

Memory
PlayStation 5
: 16GB GDDR6 with a 256mb bus | 448GB/s bandwidth

Xbox Series X: 16GB GDDR6 with a 320mb bus | 10GB at 560 GB/s, 6GB at 336 GB/s bandwidth

Stadia: 16GB of HBM2 RAM | 484GB/s bandwidth

stadia? please let it die

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Stumbled across this article looking a bit more deeply at the dynamic latency stuff on XSX:

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X: What’s the Deal with Latency? - Xbox Wire

Webster’s Dictionary defines ‘latency’ as “the quality or state of being present and capable of emerging or developing but not now visible, obvious, or active.” And now that I’ve finally gotten to use that hackneyed writing trope in my career, let’s dive into what latency means in the world of...
Xbox pushing the industry forward. what an interesting article! Some behind the scene plays with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers that started with ONE S and ONE X. wowza

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
XSX ram is better. 10GB for GPU is what devs will push to and may not fully use till late in the gen. 2080ti level of vram and more than other gpus. All running at 560gb/s for graphics is insanely great and better than ps5 lower bandwidth for gpu. The ram in XSX isn't split lol it's one pool that gives gpu high bandwidth and cpu lower at 336gb/s which is extremely more than enough for cpu tasks

It isn't necessarily better or as clear cut as you're making it seem for two reasons.

1.) Because of the way ram works, every time the XSX's CPU has to access ram (which is going to be routinely), it does so at the slower 336 GB/s speed, during which the GPU essentially has to wait its turn before it can access the ram. So in that sense the GPU is beholden to the CPU memory bandwidth and the entire average bandwidth is going be less thanks to the slower 6GB. Comparatively the CPU in the PS4 will access its ram at the same 448 GB/s as the GPU, so irrespective of whether the GPU or CPU access the ram, it's the same speed for both, and that is higher than the XSX's CPU ram access bandwidth.

2.) Add to the above, we don't actually know how much video ram will be available to devs with the PS5. If the PS5 offers more for GPU use than the XSX (eg more than 10GB), which might be the case if theories from NXGamer and others hold any weight, then the PS5 has yet another bandwidth (and memory) advantage, as not only will its CPU have faster memory access, but it's GPU will have faster bandwidth over everything beyond 10GB too.

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
I can see Lockhart 8GB to 10GB. I expect Lockhart to be a 1080p console with a very different design principle compared to Xbox Series X.

Principle for Xbox Series X was: Performance Leadership

Principle for Lockhart likely is: Lowest entry barrier into next gen possible / best possible price!

What are the main differentiators to this gen?
  • New GPU hw features (VRS, RT, Mesh Shader)
  • 4 times CPU
  • NVMEs SSDs
All this can be achieved by Lockhart too (RT to a lower degree though) and you can decrease cost by using less memory, having a much smaller chip (< 270mm^2).

If you even want to cut more cost you could also think about the BluRay drive. But for me that would be not a good decision (for personal bedroom reasons 😏 )
I don't think Microsoft will develop a different chipset for Lockhart. If anything it will be binned Scarlett chips.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019

Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's where I'll jump in first, there is a lot of talk about Sony's SSD right now but proof is still in the pudding there. And I have Game Pass and with the 1st party XSX launch games there day 1 there really was no contest for me. I just want to see a preorder button at this point.
I'm in the same boat as you :)

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't necessarily better or as clear cut as you're making it seem for two reasons.

1.) Because of the way ram works, every time the XSX's CPU has to access ram (which is going to be routinely), it does so at the slower 336 GB/s speed, during which the GPU essentially has to wait its turn before it can access the ram. So in that sense the GPU is beholden to the CPU memory bandwidth and the entire average bandwidth is going be less thanks to the slower 6GB. Comparatively the CPU in the PS4 will access its ram at the same 448 GB/s as the GPU, so irrespective of whether the GPU or CPU access the ram, it's the same speed for both, and that is higher than the XSX's CPU ram access bandwidth.
Thats not correct, every core in CPU and GPU can access memory independently and with Mesh Shaders CPU usage for drawcalls is almost eliminated.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thats fine if you don't want any background services running. No trophies, no chat, no messaging, no background downloads

That was accounted for, as the entirety of the OS footprint was not set aside, only a lions share. Remember, the 360 had everything you mentioned and only had 32mb of its ram set aside for said functions.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thats not correct, every core in CPU and GPU can access memory independently and with Mesh Shaders CPU usage for drawcalls is almost eliminated.

That's not what has been explained based on the stack set up, more on it here.

It will do that, but if the CPU is requesting data from the slow pool, it will still occupy the full bus to retrieve data at a slower speed. Imagine GPU and CPU are "taking turns" accessing data, only the CPU is capped at a lower top speed - that will lower the overall effective bandwidth. By how much will depend on loads, how much data is being retrieved, how frequently, etc.

I tried to simplify the XSX memory setup so everyone can understand it.
Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I don't think I've ever been this excited for a new console. The thing is a beast, but I also love how it looks. It looks so unique and premium, and the green accent at the top is just perfect.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
stadia? please let it die
Nah it's alright. And now after all the specs are out it'll be interesting to see how it'll stack up to the new consoles. It's behind XSX but actually ahead of PS5 in some areas which is surprising, and we still haven't seen the result of stackable hardware and elastic computing or if Google is willing to upgrade if needed like they said they would.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Another developer also think the PS5 is listing the boost numbers rather than sustained numbers.
And we effectively will never know the if its sustaining those speeds, third party devs need to just come out and tell us how easily it can sustain its boost speeds.

Yes I know Cerny said it will be at continuous boost most of the time we just have to take his word for it until third party devs start talking about it.

Ram isn't faster. 10 gb 556 gb/s + 6 gb 320 gb/s isn't better than 16 gb 448 gb/s. For games XSX will have 10 gb 556 gb/s compared to PS5 with 15 gb 448gb/s. PS5s rams are better.

Wait how do you calculate that?

Did you read the RAM breakdown and why?
10GB is GPU optimized fast RAM and only when they really really need that speed for the CPU (rarely) will it be eating into that 10.
3.5GB is basically system RAM or general ram, 2.5 is reserved for the OS.

GPU optimized RAM when we have super fast SSDs already is a good trade off.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Stumbled across this article looking a bit more deeply at the dynamic latency stuff on XSX:

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X: What’s the Deal with Latency? - Xbox Wire

Webster’s Dictionary defines ‘latency’ as “the quality or state of being present and capable of emerging or developing but not now visible, obvious, or active.” And now that I’ve finally gotten to use that hackneyed writing trope in my career, let’s dive into what latency means in the world of...
Wow great stuff here, man I love everything MS is doing with Series X. Input lag really needed to be addressed for next-gen and it sounds like they've done everything technically possible to minimize it from controller -> console -> display. As cliché as it sounds this thing is quickly turning into my dream console..just hoping they can get it to us at $499..

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Another developer also think the PS5 is listing the boost numbers rather than sustained numbers.
And we effectively will never know the if its sustaining those speeds, third party devs need to just come out and tell us how easily it can sustain its boost speeds.

Yes I know Cerny said it will be at continuous boost most of the time we just have to take his word for it until third party devs start talking about it.

Wait how do you calculate that?

Did you read the RAM breakdown and why?
10GB is GPU optimized fast RAM and only when they really really need that speed for the CPU (rarely) will it be eating into that 10.
3.5GB is basically system RAM or general ram, 2.5 is reserved for the OS.

GPU optimized RAM when we have super fast SSDs already is a good trade off.
About XSX memory:
The 560 GB/s for the 10GB is not optimized on speed, it is the standard speed of those 10 14Gbps GDDR6 memory chips. The reason for the setup was to maintain signal integrity (MS words). The lower speed pool only exists because of the reduced width of the memory bus that can used on the 2GB storage capacity chips (only 6 of them = 192 bit bus).

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I enjoy looking at the technology powering the next generation.
XboxSeriesXTech_HERO.jpg

beautiful

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Wow great stuff here, man I love everything MS is doing with Series X. Input lag really needed to be addressed for next-gen and it sounds like they've done everything technically possible to minimize it from controller -> console -> display. As cliché as it sounds this thing is quickly turning into my dream console..just hoping they can get it to us at $499..
Yeah that's cool stuff. Really gamer centric

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
About XSX memory:
The 560 GB/s for the 10GB is not optimized on speed, it is the standard speed of those 14Gbps GDDR6 memory chips. The reason for the setup was to maintain signal integrity (MS words). The lower speed pool only exists because of the reduced width of the memory bus that can used on the 2GB storage capacity chips (only 6 of them = 192 bit bus).

I was getting that info from the multiple Inside Series X features.

www.eurogamer.net

Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs

This is it. After months of teaser trailers, blog posts and even the occasional leak, we can finally reveal firm, hard …

The exact quote is:
In terms of how the memory is allocated, games get a total of 13.5GB in total, which encompasses all 10GB of GPU optimal memory and 3.5GB of standard memory. This leaves 2.5GB of GDDR6 memory from the slower pool for the operating system and the front-end shell.

I might have been misinterpreting what its saying.

Mar 20, 2020
Hi, this is my first post! I was curious about the raw SSD speeds provided by both companies. I've been led to believe that very high-speed SSDs are not able to sustain their throughput due to heat, and numbers drop off fairly quickly and are possibly much lower than that. Do we know whether Microsoft/Sony have confirmed their ratings are for sustained throughput?

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017

1.) Because of the way ram works, every time the XSX's CPU has to access ram (which is going to be routinely), it does so at the slower 336 GB/s speed, during which the GPU essentially has to wait its turn before it can access the ram. So in that sense the GPU is beholden to the CPU memory bandwidth and the entire average bandwidth is going be less thanks to the slower 6GB.

From the sweets:
Data that need high speeds, like textures, will use the first 1GB of each of the 10 glasses (10*56GB/s=560GB/s) while data that doesn't need high speed, like sound, will use the last 1GB of the bigger glasses (6*56GB/s=336GB/s).

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Hi, this is my first post! I was curious about the raw SSD speeds provided by both companies. I've been led to believe that very high-speed SSDs are not able to sustain their throughput due to heat, and numbers drop off fairly quickly and are possibly much lower than that. Do we know whether Microsoft/Sony have confirmed their ratings are for sustained throughput?

I believe that MS have confirmed that their speed is sustained.

And welcome!

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was getting that info from the multiple Inside Series X features.

www.eurogamer.net

This is it. After months of teaser trailers, blog posts and even the occasional leak, we can finally reveal firm, hard …

The exact quote is:
In terms of how the memory is allocated, games get a total of 13.5GB in total, which encompasses all 10GB of GPU optimal memory and 3.5GB of standard memory. This leaves 2.5GB of GDDR6 memory from the slower pool for the operating system and the front-end shell.

I might have been misinterpreting what its saying.
My emphasis was on the term "optimized". That speeds are not optimized. They are result of the number of lanes available for a range of memory. 10GB of the 16GB memory has a full 320 bit memory bus available while 6 GB of the 16 GB have a memory bus of 192-bit available.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

Not true dude. Where do you get this stuff?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

MS is guaranteeing their numbers per Eurogamer. Nothing like that mentioned from Sony.

The form factor is cute, the 2.4GB/s of guaranteed throughput is impressive,

www.eurogamer.net

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what has been explained based on the stack set up, more on it here.
Yeah, CPU has slower access in comparison, but GPU has still full bandwidth. And CPU blocking GPU access to some modules when accessing data is the same in both architectures, but GPU can still access RAM modules that CPU is not accessing at given moment.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

AGE2019

May 5, 2019

2.) Add to the above, we don't actually know how much video ram will be available to devs with the PS5. If the PS5 offers more for GPU use than the XSX (eg more than 10GB), which might be the case if theories from NXGamer and others hold any weight, then the PS5 has yet another bandwidth (and memory) advantage, as not only will its CPU have faster memory access, but it's GPU will have faster bandwidth over everything beyond 10GB too.

The bolded is false as has already been explained.
Also On both the PS5 and XSX the CPU and GPU share the bandwidth. Its one pool of memory on both consoles.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
How I see it;
We know how a CPU and GPU affect a game, and we know how solid state memory will affect game design, but I don't know how the extra 5gbs of speed on the PS5 SSD will do much better for games compared to xsx