• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It has taken way too long, to be honest. It's like people arguing they can't use their printer anymore because it used IEEE-1284 and computers only offer USB.
Optical is basically redundant now with HDMI but my old amp doesn't have any HDMI inputs but then again that amp is over 10 years old lol.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has taken way too long, to be honest. It's like people arguing they can't use their printer anymore because it used IEEE-1284 and computers only offer USB.
Code you never gave the PS4 Pro shit for excluding it?
This is worse than printers man, HDMI now forces you to have a a receiver or use the TV's pass through.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Based on reviews on Amazon, I think you might need to be a bit careful with cheap splitters depending on your setup. I've got a TV that supports freesync over HDMI and a receiver that supports Atmos (but won't pass freesync over HDMI through), but from what I've read, most splitters won't allow me to get both of these at once.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Based on reviews on Amazon, I think you might need to be a bit careful with cheap splitters depending on your setup. I've got a TV that supports freesync over HDMI and a receiver that supports Atmos (but won't pass freesync over HDMI through), but from what I've read, most splitters won't allow me to get both of these at once.
Optical is only used for digital sound but yes you are correct, not all HDMI cables are created equal.

Unmoses

Mar 22, 2018
I recently upgraded my home theater to a modern denon that supports 4k passthru from my favorite marantz, but it's so much more elegant now. I suppose you can get a splitter to peel off optical but HDMI handles all. I feel slightly embarrassed thinking of some old frankensetups I had. Using my 900g for tv(yttv)/streaming via HDMI arc and Xbox on the same port just back out has been very nice so I won't miss it on the xsx

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I hate to waste a USB port, but I think the solution will end up being a relatively cheap USB to TOSLINK (if there isnt a giant CPU hit), or better, but more expensive and NOT using a usb port - an HDMI extractor that works with hdmi 2.1.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ps4 ram wasn't 158% faster than Xbone because there was esram. That actual problem with the console wasn't raw speed but rather that it was so small 32mb.

For SX you could say the problem is similar in theory, only now you have 10GB of ram instead of just 32MB.

You are also not considering the system reservation on PS5 so instead of 6 it actually just has about 3 (3.5GB) of memory that is faster than the 3.5 pool on SX. However, as I said, there is memory contention on that pool.

As sony shows on PS4, that is an issue:

jpg

As you can see the problem is that as cpu uses bandwidth the total CPU+GPU bandwidth reduces. This still happens on Ps5, and likely to an even higher extent now that the cpu is significantly more powerful, and not on SX thanks to that elegant and efficient memory design Ms came up with.

I don't have a link other than the presentation. I watched it fully at once so I can't tell you exactly when he tells that as well, but he certainly does. He says something that going higher than that would make the inner logic of the chip to stop working.

The Esram was as you mentioned, only 32mb worth lol. 8GB's worth of the PS4's ram (eg pretty much all of it) was 158% faster. Add to that, the XO's paltry 32MB of Esram was only 16% faster than the PS5's 8GB of GDDR5 at peak. However you slice it, this gens bandwidth differences are considerably greater than they will be next gen.

Regarding your bandwidth chart, I don't think that's necessarily accurate to real world bandwidth post launch, since developers have actually tested the PS4's real world bandwidth in games and found it to be around 172 GB/s (or at least the CEO from Studio Just Add Water did).

Ultimately, the bandwidth figures given by manufacturers are often theoretical peak, the actual real world bandwidth is usually always lower, this goes for Sony and Microsoft. The Xbox Series X will not be unique in that regard, so I don't really know why you're claiming otherwise or why you think this is unique to Sony.

As an example, Xbox One's Esram's real world bandwidth was tested to be 140-150GB/s, and Digital Foundry actually found lower; "Theoretical peak performance is one thing, but in real-life scenarios, it's believed that 133GB/s throughput has been achieved with certain ESRAM operations.", which is obviously a fair degree below the advertised peak 204GB/s.

As far as I know, the Xbox Series X's CPU and GPU still shares the same bus, so would have similar issues (as with every console) that could impact from peak theoretical bandwidth.

Finally, there's no need for you to link Cerny's presentation because I literally posted the transcript/quote of the exact segment you're talking about above in my earlier post lol.

Last edited:

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
So if you build a pc with the worlds fastest ssd and a 15 year old gpu how will it perform?

Terribly.

The point is everything has to be drawn by the gpu, the ssd cannot draw anything. The gpu is still far more important.

The 9 gb/s even uncompressed is 1/56 the speed of gddr be of series x. In other words, it is nonexistent in terms of feeding the gpu.

You're making an unfair comparison, the GPU on both machines are much closer than that. And yes, the GPU still has to draw everything and yes Series X has an undeniable advantage there, but it doesn't mean it will have data fed to it's RAM as fast as PS5 will. You could imagine for instance a game that relies on teleportation, like a "Portal" but with transit between completely different scenes, it would be much harder to make it seamless if you can't have the scene change in a second (that you could have loading during a second long visual effect for exemple) but have to do it in 2 seconds. Or, you could have an open-world game with faster traversal while keeping the level of detail higher because GPU can tap into the RAM being refreshed faster with new assets.

This is purely imaginative from my end, I don't know more than you do in all honesty, just trying to conceptualize how this could make a difference.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
can't wait to hear more on this.

Xbox Velocity Architecture
The Xbox Velocity Architecture is the new architecture we've created for the Xbox Series X to unlock new capabilities never-before seen in console development. It consists of four components: our custom NVMe SSD, a dedicated hardware decompression block, the all new DirectStorage API, and Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS). This combination of custom hardware and deep software integration allows developers to radically improve asset streaming and effectively multiply available memory. It will enable richer and more dynamic living worlds unlike anything ever seen before. It also effectively eliminates loading times, and makes fast travel systems just that: fast.

Jan 4, 2018
People have mentioned it and you can buy a splitter for fairly cheap. HDMI has basically taken over.
An HDMI 2.1 splitter with low input lag though? Need my 4K 120Hz support, and I don't want a significant amount of additional latency.

Definitely worried about this. If I had an optical port on my TV, would that work the same? Can I get Dolby 7.1 virtual surround sound with my Astro A50 like I can using the optical port on my Xbox One X?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's not worse than Wolfenstein. Wolfenstein has a few VRS quality settings, 15% is the worst quality and it looks pretty bad (from experience).
Again, what are you talking about? From my experience (I'm replaying W2 right now) you are hard pressed to notice any quality degradation in Wolfenstein even with "Performance" VRS preset. The game is also fairly light on shading in general so it's not a good case for measuring savings you'd get from VRS.

That's exactly what tier 1 is, a butcher knife.
Wolfenstein doesn't use any tier since it's a Vulkan game where there are no VRS tiers.
But if you want to describe its VRS usage in DX terms then it's definitely tier 2.

Have you seen the tier 2 test in real-time, or just on youtube?
Of course I've seen it in real time. There is hardly any difference in perceivable quality.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
You're making an unfair comparison, the GPU on both machines are much closer than that. And yes, the GPU still has to draw everything and yes Series X has an undeniable advantage there, but it doesn't mean it will have data fed to it's RAM as fast as PS5 will. You could imagine for instance a game that relies on teleportation, like a "Portal" but with transit between completely different scenes, it would be much harder to make it seamless if you can't have the scene change in a second (that you could have loading during a second long visual effect for exemple) but have to do it in 2 seconds. Or, you could have an open-world game with faster traversal while keeping the level of detail higher because GPU can tap into the RAM being refreshed faster with new assets.

This is purely imaginative from my end, I don't know more than you do in all honesty, just trying to conceptualize how this could make a difference.

I know you're just guessing...but gaining a second of load time with that kind of speed advantage makes it sound like Sony made a priority mistake.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
I know you're just guessing...but gaining a second of load time with that kind of speed advantage makes it sound like Sony made a priority mistake.

Well, only actual games will show if it was a mistake or not, it is for sure a conscious and specific decision, so they have an intention to make use of it. It's an interesting take for sure. Both MS and Sony are betting on SSDs to be a huge boost regardless, so this will be an important next gen feature.

I think there is a misconception about how SSD helps though (for both consoles), I think we are still too much focused on "loading" in the sense we have seen this gen whilst it is much more critical to have a continuous stream of data during gameplay. Loading screens only existed to compensate the huge drawbacks of HDDs and to have an "initial" fill-up of the RAM. This will completely change with this gen and this is very exciting, can't wait to see how both consoles make use of it.

sado0og

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just notice the controller is aa battery???

Ms what r ya doing... I'm not ready to cost myself $ everytime aa dies...

Why wouldn't you just include rechargeable one???

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because they're a detriment to the controller as years go by. It's easier for you buy your own rechargables and swap them out once they inevitably lose thier potency/charge capacity.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017

Well, at least, it makes the controller last longer, you don't have to change controller once your battery is dead. I appreciate both approaches, but the the AA solution is a good long term approach.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An HDMI 2.1 splitter with low input lag though? Need my 4K 120Hz support, and I don't want a significant amount of additional latency.

Definitely worried about this. If I had an optical port on my TV, would that work the same? Can I get Dolby 7.1 virtual surround sound with my Astro A50 like I can using the optical port on my Xbox One X?
If you plug your consoles into your tv with HDMI and then use the optical out port on your TV to plug into your Astro mix amp then yes that will work. If you're using a mix amp you're probably using it's built in Dolby processing anyways. As long as it's getting a digital source it will process that into digital surround sound.

but yes, HDMI can pass through audio to optical.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

Buy a play and charge kit, let those of us with Eneloops continue to use them. Or just buy yourself some Eneloops, save yourself some money in the long term and do the planet a favour.

Jan 4, 2018
If you plug your consoles into your tv with HDMI and then use the optical out port on your TV to plug into your Astro mix amp then yes that will work. If you're using a mix amp you're probably using it's built in Dolby processing anyways. As long as it's getting a digital source it will process that into digital surround sound.

That gives me peace of mind. I was worried there was a specific format the optical port had to output for the mixamp to do its thing and that it might be different when sent to the TV over HDMI rather than directly from the Xbox. As long as you're sure about that, that's great.

Still sucks if I want to use my monitor though. But I'll probably be buying an LG C9 and using my Series X with that the vast majority of the time. Probably.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018

Because a rechargeable declines in capacity over time.

Just buy a couple of Eneloops rechargeable batteries and you are settled for the whole generation.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

I agree with you. putting your own batteries in a controller should have died with the 360.

I don't see the issue with an internal battery like the PS controllers. My launch DS4 works perfectly fine. In fact, even my two DS3 controllers from the PS3 days work fine.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

in my experience, you end up with a stereo ouput

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I think the reason is because there are a few things that Sony seems to be more specialized in. So for example the whole kraken compression thing, and the custom controller, and all that, a lot of effort being made into ensuring a minimum 5.5 raw gbps transfer speed that can be processed as fast. Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing the same, although of course there's the matter of them just, not going into as much detail.
XSX's actually has better compression silicon than the PS5. The PS5 is using Kraken, while XSX is using both zlib and BCPack which combined provide better compression. Sony mostly has more raw throughput, we will need to hear more about both controllers to know which features each has.

Still, I think it's a fair assessment to note (and yes the more tech head people around here have mentioned this) that the PS5 is a very nimble, specialized machine, whereas the xbox will just have that raw power advantage.

But from that you start getting people separating the differences to their extremes. People are eager for a differentiating factor, so anything that exists will get isolated and made extreme. Both consoles are doing most things the other is doing. Still, they have pretty different approaches to some things. Like power vs frequency. They are taking the exact polar opposite approach of each other.

Anyway could be wrong but I was pondering an example where like, so they made a big deal about how the PS5 streams info so fast you could stream it while a character was literally looking around. That's pretty crazy. The xbox will also clearly do this but it won't be as fast (2-4[?] vs 5.5-8). It could be that streaming info means that in a given scene the PS5 wouldn't have to hold as much data to be calculating the position and condition of at one time and be more specifically only doing what it needs right then, whereas the Xbox would hold onto more at one time, but would be able to do it just fine and wouldn't need to be dumping it out as fast. I don't know. I'm probably off base here, but I was trying to think of an example. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable could explain an instance where the PS5's design might make up for some of the loss in power. Cuz idk that's the best I have right now.
MS is also promoting streaming data as the character moves on XSX, they just did it more quietly in their GDC streams. Right now the biggest difference between Sony's announcement and Microsoft is that Sony went into great detail for the "average" person while MS kept things very technical. What's important to know is that the XSX is as custom as the PS5.

Again, what are you talking about? From my experience (I'm replaying W2 right now) you are hard pressed to notice any quality degradation in Wolfenstein even with "Performance" VRS preset. The game is also fairly light on shading in general so it's not a good case for measuring savings you'd get from VRS.
Yeah, so let's use 3DMark as a good example to real-world performance :D

VRS in the lowest settings is visible in W2, and in youngblood too. 12% performance gain for youtube like artifacts, not exactly what VRS should be.

Wolfenstein doesn't use any tier since it's a Vulkan game where there are no VRS tiers.
But if you want to describe its VRS usage in DX terms then it's definitely tier 2.
Can you provide a link to back that up, that says Wolfenstein is able to control VRS during the creating of the frame? I've looked, couldn't find anything.

Of course I've seen it in real time. There is hardly any difference in perceivable quality.
Seriously? Hardly any difference? No, it's VERY visible. And taking a predetermined benchmark of a feature like VRS as anything related to what will happen in actual games is just plain wrong.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Well, at least, it makes the controller last longer, you don't have to change controller once your battery is dead. I appreciate both approaches, but the the AA solution is a good long term approach.
They could just provide the rechargeable battery pack with the controllers instead of selling these separately though...

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Would it though? Xbox controllers are the same price as PS4 ones but don't have gyros or internal batteries. In a fair world, it would eat into their profit margins and not the final cost of the controller

We don't know the price of anything yet.
The biggest cost saving is simply using the controller you already own.
I quite like knowing that the battery pack can be swapped out for another one, they do only last a finite amount of time, I've been through 2 battery packs this gen, but I still had the controllers. I do however like the really high capacity built-in battery that the Elite has, the play time is by far the most important thing for me.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
We don't know the price of anything yet.
The biggest cost saving is simply using the controller you already own.
I quite like knowing that the battery pack can be swapped out for another one, they do only last a finite amount of time, I've been through 2 battery packs this gen, but I still had the controllers. I do however like the really high capacity built-in battery that the Elite has, the play time is by far the most important thing for me.
Oh I don't mean they should switch to internal batteries, I mean they should give the external battery packs that plug into the socket that batteries go in. You can recharge them just like internal batteries and you can swap these out when they die out and everybody wins. Right now though you have to buy them separately.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Ps4 ram wasn't 158% faster than Xbone because there was esram. That actual problem with the console wasn't raw speed but rather that it was so small 32mb.

For SX you could say the problem is similar in theory, only now you have 10GB of ram instead of just 32MB.

You are also not considering the system reservation on PS5 so instead of 6 it actually just has about 3 (3.5GB) of memory that is faster than the 3.5 pool on SX. However, as I said, there is memory contention on that pool.

As sony shows on PS4, that is an issue:

jpg

As you can see the problem is that as cpu uses bandwidth the total CPU+GPU bandwidth reduces. This still happens on Ps5, and likely to an even higher extent now that the cpu is significantly more powerful, and not on SX thanks to that elegant and efficient memory design Ms came up with.

I don't have a link other than the presentation. I watched it fully at once so I can't tell you exactly when he tells that as well, but he certainly does. He says something that going higher than that would make the inner logic of the chip to stop working.
XSX memory setup actually doesn't solve the CPU problem because there are no separate pools, it's all a single big memory pool, so the CPU will still cause problems. What does help the problem is using more pipes, that's why HBM can completely eliminate the problem. XSX does have a 320-bit interface while PS5 is using a 256-bit interface, 25% more data pipes, so it will remedy some of the problems compared to PS5, but it will still exist.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Oh I don't mean they should switch to internal batteries, I mean they should give the external battery packs that plug into the socket that batteries go in. You can recharge them just like internal batteries and you can swap these out when they die out and everybody wins. Right now though you have to buy them separately.

I don't want one and I wouldn't use it. How would I win?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't virtual headphone surround sound just take a stereo output and, for lack of a better term, simulate surround sound? It's possible that my understanding is just wrong.
It depends, but usually, they take the 5.1 data and apply the filter to that to make it sound directional. That's how the system I had used previously has worked

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
That's just being obtuse. Surely you can see how most people would want the simplicity of charging against having to purchase batteries regularly or having to take rechargeable batteries out of the compartment to recharge separately.

I'm not so sure if it's 'most' people having read the responses to this thread from the start. I've seen far more people defending swappable batteries than asking for an internal one.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not so sure if it's 'most' people having read the responses to this thread from the start. I've seen far more people defending swappable batteries than asking for an internal one.
But I'm not talking about an internal one... it's still replaceable which is the argument for AA batteries (which can still use if you want to might I add)

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
in my experience, you end up with a stereo ouput
Apologies - i might well be mis-reading the conversation.

I just wanted to flag that the Xbox has sound settings and output format, explicitly for headsets, as well as one for the "main" hdmi channel going to an amp or whatever.

In turn within that headset setting there is a tick box to tell the xbox whether you have a "boring"headset that is just stereo, or a "fancy" headset that has it's own surround sound amp/mixer.

If you tell it you have a boring headet, it uses windows sonic, or Atmos, to send a virtual surround sound output to the stereo headphones. If you tell it you have a fancy headset then it sends the original 5.1 (or 7.1 or whatever) signal to the headset, to let it figure it out itself.

It's an important box to tick or untick because the wrong option will mess things up.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's just being obtuse. Surely you can see how most people would want the simplicity of charging against having to purchase batteries regularly or having to take rechargeable batteries out of the compartment to recharge separately.
You can understand how most people don't want their controllers longevity dictated by the battery. People would rather just use rechargeable batteries that can be quickly swapped without being tethered to the console. This is a cheaper and better solution and don't call me Surely

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Can we all agree that moving to USB-C over microUSB on the controller end is the best change in a decade? F microusb breaking and falling out piece of crap connector arggghh

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I just noticed there's no optical out port on the back of the Xbox!
That's a huge disappointment, and I'm surprised no one seems to mention it.
Sad face

I'm confused about this. The videos with the magnetic components (the ones showing DF and others "putting together" a Series X console) show no optical port on the back. But a few days later, the Series X console that they had on the Game Stack presentations did have one.

For now, it's safe to assume that it does not, but I'd like some official confirmation either way.

Edit: Also, that leaked photo of the Series X lying on someone's carpet floor had an optical port as well. So there's no clear answer as to whether retail units will actually have one or not.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I'm confused about this. The videos with the magnetic components (the ones showing DF and others "putting together" a Series X console) show no optical port on the back. But a few days later, the Series X console that they had on the Game Stack presentations did have one.

For now, it's safe to assume that it does not, but I'd like some official confirmation either way.

Edit: Also, that leaked photo of the Series X lying on someone's carpet floor had an optical port as well. So there's no clear answer as to whether retail units will actually have one or not.
I think the answer is no, as theres official communication about how the xsx will support the astro gaming headset/mixer.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
XSX's actually has better compression silicon than the PS5. The PS5 is using Kraken, while XSX is using both zlib and BCPack which combined provide better compression. Sony mostly has more raw throughput, we will need to hear more about both controllers to know which features each has.

MS is also promoting streaming data as the character moves on XSX, they just did it more quietly in their GDC streams. Right now the biggest difference between Sony's announcement and Microsoft is that Sony went into great detail for the "average" person while MS kept things very technical. What's important to know is that the XSX is as custom as the PS5.

really cool tech

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
after seeing the improvements Nvidia made for DLSS, I hope Microsoft makes DirectML upscaling easy to apply to games

control-3840x2160-ray-tracing-nvidia-dlss-2.0-performance-mode-performance.png

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
We know Microsoft's speeds are sustained, we only know where Sony's tops out.
This is incorrect. We actually know all three relevant numbers for both platforms. XSX listed first, raw read speed is 2.5GB/s versus 5.5. Real-world average rate is 4.8Gb/s versus 8.5. Theoretical max is 6GB/s versus 22.

Is xbox also doing similar to PS5 in terms of like having an extra chip on the die specifically for facilitating data transfer at those high speeds so it can take some load off the CPU?
Yes. Decompression is done by dedicated hardware on XSX, not by the CPU.

I don't know much about power but it seems like a beast. I'm used to getting my 3rd parties on PlayStation but could these specs really make a difference for the games ? Or are we getting to a point where graphics are so advanced that such a gap will not be obvious ?
The gap will be there, XSX is more powerful. Whether it's going to be obvious or not is up to your eyes.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
This is incorrect. We actually know all three relevant numbers for both platforms. XSX listed first, raw read speed is 2.5GB/s versus 5.5. Real-world average rate is 4.8Gb/s versus 8.5. Theoretical max is 6GB/s versus 22.
The thoretical max of the decompression block seems to be overkill on the Sony side, I wonder why they made that choice, the PS5 seems a well balanced system overall.