• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
looks like we'll be getting a demonstration of ray tracing on RDNA2 tomorrow

devblogs.microsoft.com

DirectX Developer Day Schedule - DirectX Developer Blog

Tomorrow (3/19) is DirectX Developer Day! Join the Microsoft DirectX team, along with partners AMD and NVIDIA, for a series of talks and demos covering the future of gaming graphics: The New Features and Unprecedented Opportunities of DirectX 12 – Jianye Lu The New Standard for Next Gen Games –

A bit disappointed that there doesn't appear to be a DirectStorage-specific session, but I'm looking forward to this. Especially if it's possible to get a rough idea of how the 20 series GPUs can be further optimized and how RDNA2 GPUs compare.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
If I am not mistaken the fillrate of the Ps4 Pro was even greater than that of the One X (64Rops 911mhz vs 32Rops 1172Mhz) but in the end the One X performed way better (I believe it was due to the higher bandwith)

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
No, they saw an opportunity to claim part of their machine was better and they took it.
Obviously it remains to be seen if the variable clock rates on PS5 end up being a good or a bad thing in the end.
How would variable clock rates be a good thing performance wise? They are there to keep the cooling under control, not to increase performance. This is also the reason MS stressed this so much during their presentation. That basically means that XSX cooling can handle any load (and hopefully stay quiet).

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If I am not mistaken the fillrate of the Ps4 Pro was even greater than that of the One X (64Rops 911mhz vs 32Rops 1172Mhz) but in the end the One X performed way better (I believe it was due to the higher bandwith)
I asked this in a different thread and didn't get an answer, but would the PS4 Pro's higher fillrate explain why a lot of games had better framerates on Pro?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
How would variable clock rates be a good thing performance wise? They are there to keep the cooling under control, not to increase performance. This is also the reason MS stressed this so much during their presentation. That basically means that XSX cooling can handle any load (and hopefully stay quiet).
I'm not convinced it will be a good thing and will just add needless complication for devs, but I also don't think Cerny and Sony are stupid so I'm going to wait and see how it works in practice.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
448Gb/s x1,25 = 560
9,2 TF x1,3 = 11,96TF

So yes I guess the XSX will be more power full in fact for 3rd party games. No matter the SSD speed

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happening in 9 hours?
DirectX 12 presentation. We'll be seeing new demos and a first look at RT on radeon gpus

devblogs.microsoft.com

Tomorrow (3/19) is DirectX Developer Day! Join the Microsoft DirectX team, along with partners AMD and NVIDIA, for a series of talks and demos covering the future of gaming graphics: The New Features and Unprecedented Opportunities of DirectX 12 – Jianye Lu The New Standard for Next Gen Games –

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Yes, high pixel fillrate allows the machine to push more pixels, but bandwidth is also very important in that regard. So even though the Pro had a better pixel fillrate than the X, because of its' very low memory bandwidth, you saw games like RDR2 running at 100% higher resolution on the X even though the power difference between them was just 40% and the Pro had a better pixel fillrate. It doesn't matter how powerful your water pump is if your water pipe isn't wide enough.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think I asked this elsewhere, but is the idea that MS is letting the One still play ball with new games an issue for anyone after this reveal? Like, are you worried about the first round of games being held back anymore?

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I think I asked this elsewhere, but is the idea that MS is letting the One still play ball with new games an issue for anyone after this reveal? Like, are you worried about the first round of games being held back anymore?

I'm not too concerned myself, mostly because I have fairly low expectations of the first round of games on any new hardware. They're usually held back by a lack of experience building on the new hardware, so I'm not feeling like I'll miss out on much.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too concerned myself, mostly because I have fairly low expectations of the first round of games on any new hardware. They're usually held back by a lack of experience building on the new hardware, so I'm not feeling like I'll miss out on much.
Same. I think it's also why I find it pretty exciting that the games we are used to playing now, for the most part, will just carry over. If you don't like the first round of new offerings, play the stuff you know. maybe even with benefits here and there.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, high pixel fillrate allows the machine to push more pixels, but bandwidth is also very important in that regard. So even though the Pro had a better pixel fillrate than the X, because of its' very low memory bandwidth, you saw games like RDR2 running at 100% higher resolution on the X even though the power difference between them was just 40% and the Pro had a better pixel fillrate. It doesn't matter how powerful your water pump is if your water pipe isn't wide enough.
Does the Pro's pixel fillrate explain why a lot of games have better framerates on Pro vs One X?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Does the Pro's pixel fillrate explain why a lot of games have better framerates on Pro vs One X?
It's usually because the X version aims higher in terms of resolution/power ratio. It's like if a game will target 1080p on Lockheart, it might perform better than the XSX native 4K version because the resolution difference is X4 while the power difference is X3.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
The next generation leap of even having SSDs at all in both of these consoles, let alone custom designed I/O approaches that are more efficient for gaming workloads than anything in PCs currently due to the closed console system architectures, is the thing that makes it possible for game design to change. This quote below from one of the Xbox Series X system architects shows just how far they went looking at actual game profiling data (they had custom monitoring hardware in the Xbox One X silicon) to be sure that their end to end storage solution would meet the needs of how games actually run. And remember that the memory bandwidth difference (112 GB/s) between the two is far greater in terms of GB/s throughput as part of this pipeline than a several GB/s difference in drive decompression speed.

As textures have ballooned in size to match 4K displays, efficiency in memory utilisation has got progressively worse - something Microsoft was able to confirm by building in special monitoring hardware into Xbox One X's Scorpio Engine SoC. "From this, we found a game typically accessed at best only one-half to one-third of their allocated pages over long windows of time," says Goossen. "So if a game never had to load pages that are ultimately never actually used, that means a 2-3x multiplier on the effective amount of physical memory, and a 2-3x multiplier on our effective IO performance."

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
looks like we'll be getting a demonstration of ray tracing on RDNA2 tomorrow

devblogs.microsoft.com

nice!

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to figure out something maybe someone can help. The 76mb of SOC cache listed for series X, how would that be allocated? Going by what we know about RDNA and the Xbox audio block I don't see how those could be using more than ~12Mb of cache combined. What is using the rest of the cache? Assuming they are using the full-fat Zen 2 cache that leaves 32mb of unaccounted for. What am I missing?

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK

Peak fillrate only matters if you are actually bound by it, as with everything. If that's not your bottleneck it doesn't really matter.
In most passes you're more often memory or (if you've done your job well) ALU bound.

EDIT: Fillrate might even become less relevant next gen. More and more passes are moving to compute which doesn't use the ROPs for its output. RDNA allows compute writes without decompression in most cases so there's no major drawback in doing so and it can even be faster than a standard write going through ROPs.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm trying to figure out something maybe someone can help. The 76mb of SOC cache listed for series X, how would that be allocated? Going by what we know about RDNA and the Xbox audio block I don't see how those could be using more than ~12Mb of cache combined. What is using the rest of the cache? Assuming they are using the full-fat Zen 2 cache that leaves 32mb of unaccounted for. What am I missing?
Are you counting all levels of RDNA cache? It looks like you aren't including L2 and L1 cache for Zen.

It's possible there's on-die SRAM for the memory interface, like Sony's SSD interface.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Are you counting all levels of RDNA cache? It looks like you aren't including L2 and L1 cache for Zen.

It's possible there's on-die SRAM for the memory interface, like Sony's SSD interface.
Yeah. There is still a lot not yet known about the specs of these systems. Maybe a SIGGRAPH presentation or a dev doc leak.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope all their wireless interfaces will change
Im playing a lot with headset now that my gf is always at home

controller disconnect a lot but while using headset connected on the controller I haveso much stutter it's insane. Can't enjoy it at all
I have an arctis 9x. I don't even speak how many disconnect I have if I use it wirelessly

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I forgot about the L2 cache, but there is still stuff missing.

My estimates:
3.25mb L1cache (64kb per CU 4x vega 56)
8mb L2 cache for GPU (2x vega 56)
672kb for the audio block (4x xb1)
256kb for CPU L1 (32 kb per core)
4mb for CPU L2 ( 256 kb per core)
32mb for CPU L3 (shared)

That leaves 27.85 unaccounted for. Mem cache?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I forgot about the L2 cache, but there is still stuff missing.

My estimates:
3.25mb L1cache (64kb per CU 4x vega 56)
8mb L2 cache for GPU (2x vega 56)
672kb for the audio block (4x xb1)
256kb for CPU L1 (32 kb per core)
4mb for CPU L2 ( 256 kb per core)
32mb for CPU L3 (shared)

That leaves 27.85 unaccounted for. Mem cache?
Why are you referencing Vega? Navi white paper has cache values in it.

There's cache for the memory interfaces, and maybe the audio processor too. Do we know if that's on the SoC die?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Guys what's the current understanding on Ray Tracing capability for these devices? They way I understand XSX setup is they can achieve upto 13 TF worth of RT in parallel to the GPU workload. But the PS5 setup confused me during the presentation?
They're the same. PS5 has proportionally less because it has less TMUs.

The 13TF is just how much CU worth of compute they'd need to do the intersection testing the intersection engines do. They will fight for memory bandwidth though with the normal rasterization workloads.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
448Gb/s x1,25 = 560
9,2 TF x1,3 = 11,96TF

So yes I guess the XSX will be more power full in fact for 3rd party games. No matter the SSD speed

XSX gives you 560 for 10 gigs..335 for 6..PS5 is 448 for 16. I don't the edge is that signficant in terms of bandwidth.

10.28 is argued as the typical clocks which fluctuates under load. Given how the architecture is supposed to work, that would be a more accurate metric to go by than 9.2 tf going by the specs on paper. Need to see how it performs obviously.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Might buy one of these for the legacy support alone.

I can't bitch and whine about BC and then this system supports as far back as Xbox and I don't back it.