• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do you think we will get an Anaconda edition of the console like the Scorpio edition of 1X?

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
And then people complain about jet engine fans lol. Your current set up is just not suitable for any airflow. The XSX will suck air from one side and exhaust on the other. There is no where for the air to escape.
Haven't had time to sift through all this new information yet but have there been any recommendations for XSX placement? I'm planning on buying a new TV cabinet soon for my C9 and to prep for next-gen and I'm looking at something that offers a compartment of roughly 60x40x60 cm for the console. Alternatively, I might go with something that provides 60x40x35 cm for the console alone but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to place it standing up in that.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I hope you re read the statements from MS regarding storage.
1. 3.1 USB externals can be used so a normal SSD enclosure can be used as external storage which doesn't force you into buying the OPTIONAL proprietary external drive.
2. Series X games use the speed with the new series x api to provide better game worlds. They need the specific ssd to run. Just like Sony's will. You can install series X games on to a regular external HDD but you will simply need to move them onto the internal to play them. If you want to store more than 15 games and have instant access to them then (personally I wouldn't need to if I can just move games around on a regular hdd external) THEN buy the expanded storage.
3. you are making a pretty big assumption that the external drives will stay at a forever high price which markets have shown to be false
I don't believe 2. I just don't. This is, so far as we can tell, a bog-standard SSD with a proprietary connector. The special sauce is a new API made for low-latency reads, and a decompression chip on the mainboard. From the numbers we know, the SSD is nothing special. If it is, show me what I've missed.<

3 only holds true in a free market. With a single company (Microsoft) controlling supply and pricing of replacement drives, there is no such guarantee.
The cost won't bother me because I'll never buy one. There's no reason too when I can get way more storage out of a USB drive for way less money - at a far superior cost:size ratio than any removable ssd would have offered. This will be the reality for most people.

I haven't lost an internal drive in the nearly 20 years I've owned xboxes. Nor on any other console for that matter. So I'm not really worried about that either.
Good for you. Sucks for the people who will run into this issue though.

But why not allow the option? Having a removable SSD wouldn't prevent having the USB HDD option available as well.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
It is so fantastic - and really makes the competition look less engaging - how forthright MS is being about the XSX.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that the XSX has 76MB total cache. That's enough for known RDNA 1 caches and a whole 32MB L3 for Zen 2. If true, it's even more impressive that XSX is only 360mm^2.

it also means no IPC loss from desktop counterparts. This is unlike the mobile APUs that only have 8MB cache for L3.

Other possibility: L3 is only 8/16MB, and RDNA 2 has even more cache than RDNA 1. Great news either way.
Do we know how many Shader Engines there are in XSX APU ?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting stuff from the DX stream tomorrow

MS, Nvidia and AMD will be there.
The Microsoft DirectX team, along with partners from AMD and NVIDIA, will be streaming a series of talks covering how we're pushing gaming graphics into the future, introducing exciting new features, showing never-before-seen demos, and doing a deep dive into both PIX and our shader compiler.
There should be some good stuff here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Has there been any explanation why it runs at full clocks all the time?

I supppose in console world, you need fixed performance that is not dictated by the thermal state of the user's home.
No good a game being able to ask for a high clock temporarily if the thermal management kills it imediately or if it creates a state of overheating which then causes it to throttle below the starting clock.

Perhaps They really were keen to say that in case there was a suggestion the upper number was a theoretical maximum ,rather than a practical one.
Perhaps they anticipate Sony using boosted speeds in the marketing of PS5

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Has there been any explanation why it runs at full clocks all the time?
I'm assuming it's for yields they would have to guarantee that all the chips can do 3.8GHz with SMT on so they lowered it. I wonder if they can boost clocks for loading situations like the way Nintendo did with the Switch.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So XB1 gams can work fine being played from external HDD but XSX games need to be played from the internal SSD or the external SSD. Does the external SSD speed differ from the internal one too?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just imagining what cool limited edition designs MS gonna do with that XSX tower. Certainly would be more unique than whatever we got from past 2 generations.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
G yet
I don't believe 2. I just don't. This is, so far as we can tell, a bog-standard SSD with a proprietary connector. The special sauce is a new API made for low-latency reads, and a decompression chip on the mainboard. From the numbers we know, the SSD is nothing special. If it is, show me what I've missed.<

3 only holds true in a free market. With a single company (Microsoft) controlling supply and pricing of replacement drives, there is no such guarantee.

But why not allow the option? Having a removable SSD wouldn't prevent having the USB HDD option available as well.

I'm not opposed to the option in theory, but I understand the argument against adding variables to the equations and the potential negative impacts in practice. Designing form and function around failures that are improbable and features that will be underutilized isn't the way to go.

We've seen devs on ps4 talk about having to account for under-performant drives. And if ps4 allowed usb drives from the start, swapping storage would have been a rare occurance- because console users value plug-and-play and adding to their existing storage rather than giving up one drive for another.

Most people just want to be able to store more games And they are going to overwhelmingly choose the option that provides the most bang for their buck.

Ultimately when you look at how users and most developers will use the device, I don't see removable storage being a value add.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No GPU, it is just a format for compress furthe texture on storage. This is the Direct Storage format use for texture.
Ah, so it can be used by every system when the new Direct Storage API releases, that's cool. Does this mean textures are going to use less VRAM or does it mean the game takes less space on the SSD? Sorry I don't know much about compression...

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
G yet

I'm not opposed to the option in theory, but I understand the argument against adding variables to the equations and the potential negative impacts in practice. Designing form and function around failures than are improbable and features that will be underutilized isn't the way to go.

We've seen devs on ps4 talk about having to account for under-performant drives, for example. And if ps4 allowed usb drives from the start, swapping storage would have been a rare occurance- because console users value plug and play.

Ultimately when you look at how users and most developers will use the device, I don't see removable storage being a value add.
I mean, these are all valid concerns, but there are so many ways to get around them that I just don't see it. I mean, a certification program would have been way lower-effort than producing proprietary drives. Since that they have gone through that trouble, I have a hard time believing that they won't capitalise on the opportunity to increase profits.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Ah, so it can be used by every system when the new Direct Storage API releases, that's cool. Does this mean textures are going to use less VRAM or does it mean the game takes less space on the SSD? Sorry I don't know much about compression...
It might reduce game sizes one disk slightly, but that's not the primary benefit. What this actually means is that CPU time will be freed up from decompressing files when loading them from disk. Devs already compress quite a lot, but perhaps not as much as they could to save CPU. This removes that concern.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

It is a free market. Ms is not producing the external drives Seagate is. They said Seagate will have an exclusivity window but then it will open to other manufacturers.

Likely MS did this to reduce the cost of the internal drive which currently is also produced by Seagate.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
External SSDs should be able to do 2.5 GB/s if they're using USB3 gen2x2. Hard to say what type of port is on the XSX at this point though. If not, they'll be limited to 1.25 GB/s.

Still very fast.
The crucial metric here is also latency, not only bandwidth, and going by MS' words, to keep the bandwidth at that *all the time*, at any circumstances. This is not a given in today's SSDs.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
It is a free market. Ms is not producing the external drives Seagate is. They said Seagate will have an exclusivity window but then it will open to other manufacturers.

Likely MS did this to reduce the cost of the internal drive which currently is also produced by Seagate.
No, it is not a free market when you're forced to use a proprietary connector, and likely some HW DRM, which Microsoft has control over.
The crucial metric here is also latency, not only bandwidth, and going by MS' words, to keep the bandwidth at that *all the time*, at any circumstances. This is not a given in today's SSDs.
I really, really doubt that the latency introduced by a USB3 or TB3 port would be an issue for this use case. It's just loading data off a disk, it's not like it's being used as a computational cache. Keeping that bandwidth "at all times" should just be a certification requirement. There's nothing about USB AFAIK that prevents that from happening. Certainly not for TB3.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming it's for yields they would have to guarantee that all the chips can do 3.8GHz with SMT on so they lowered it. I wonder if they can boost clocks for loading situations like the way Nintendo did with the Switch.

But that still has nothing to do with down-clocking whilst idle. PCs have the ability to run at their rated clock speeds 100% of the time but can down-clock for thermals and power consumption purposes. If anything, all of that hardware being wedged into a box half the size of your standard PC case would benefit from down-clocking. Surely they could have the hardware down-clock after 30 seconds after the system switches from a game to the dashboard?

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
But that still has nothing to do with down-clocking whilst idle. PCs have the ability to run at their rated clock speeds 100% of the time but can down-clock for thermals and power consumption purposes. If anything, all of that hardware being wedged into a box half the size of your standard PC case would benefit from down-clocking. Surely they could have the hardware down-clock after 30 seconds after the system switches from a game to the dashboard?
Why do you think it won't downclock at idle?