• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Question regarding the quick resume. Is the loading time to start the game the same speed as how quick loading will be? Will Hellblade load in 1 second if there aren't other games in the quick resume queue? Or is quick resume load different to say the load time for starting the game?
Starting the game and quick resume should have different loading times because they are very different scenarios (in one case you are loading a game from scratch and on the other you are just uncompressing a compressed memory dump back into RAM). If they are the same it is probably a coincidence :)

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I still expect a fairly expensive price point on the higher end Xbox.
Microsoft likely has tons of data driving two consoles, and there is a lot to gain from both capturing power/PC and budget users while putting your opponent right in the least desirable middle.

Fawx

Oct 27, 2017
Varsovia
I like what I see, alot, especially the internal layout of the components and how the airflow is handled by just a single fan. Good to know that consoles are finally becoming a valid alternative for them bulky gaming PC's, because I had enough of nvidia's pricing bullshit and AMD's inability to compete with them on the desktop gpu market. Just gimme a box like that in the price range of a 2070/2080 Super and I'll be a happy camper... with that being said though, and seeing how the series X gpu is faster than anything AMD has currently on desktop, big navi could be a real game changer for AMD as much as zen2 matisse was for them in the desktop space. Good times are ahead.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Love seeing these confirmed specs and all of the copious details Microsoft has given.

I get the sense that the designers here have seen the trend of diminishing returns with raw GPU power when it comes to image quality because of how many other advancements are being packed into this box.
  • Hardware level ray tracing (13TF of ray tracing compute is no joke)
  • NVMe expansion slot with DirectStorage tech
    • This will be complained about to no end because of the proprietary slot, but the load time gains that will be seen even when using the expansion slot will be immense and worth it.
  • Lowering the latency for the controller
  • Low-bit precision support for machine learning compute (for the new ML anti-aliasing)
  • Sampler Feedback Streaming to optimize texture memory load
My prediction is that these new pieces of tech will have a much larger impact on gaming experience than the doubling of GPU power alone.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Does anybody know why the codename for the Series X controller isnt publicly being stated yet? I noticed in the Austin Evans video that it was greyed out so that you cant see it, so I just have to wonder why.

I would ask one of the Xbox community people but I don't want to pester them about something they probably can't answer yet

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Impressive tech, gotta wait for their first wave of games on it to see if I am interested in it or not because in the end... it truly is all about them games for me.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Turns out Aquariuszi (in taiwan ptt forum people trusted him as a insider) is spot on, he said Arden(XSX) is ~350mm2 back in October 2019.

Re: [情報] Zen3/Milan官方架構圖出來了

IPC再高也不能讓我準時下班 目前天宮本家的產品都挺安靜的 首先Renoir應該趕不上今年上 應該說所有要靠輪班星7nm量產的計畫都被往後延最少三個月 然後天宮就發了mail來
amazing How everything about XBOX is true xD

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Love seeing these confirmed specs and all of the copious details Microsoft has given.

I get the sense that the designers here have seen the trend of diminishing returns with raw GPU power when it comes to image quality because of how many other advancements are being packed into this box.
  • Hardware level ray tracing (13TF of ray tracing compute is no joke)
  • NVMe expansion slot with DirectStorage tech
    • This will be complained about to no end because of the proprietary slot, but the load time gains that will be seen even when using the expansion slot will be immense and worth it.
  • Lowering the latency for the controller
  • Low-bit precision support for machine learning compute (for the new ML anti-aliasing)
  • Sampler Feedback Streaming to optimize texture memory load
My prediction is that these new pieces of tech will have a much larger impact on gaming experience than the doubling of GPU power alone.
There is also VRS which can give a nice performance boost. Machine learning upscaling and the gpu supports mesh shaders (which is a feature that gets rid of the index list for describing an object which makes the geometry processing fully parallelizable and thus the gpu can handle significantly higher poly counts)

MastaKilla88

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Damn I've never owned an Xbox, but this sounds too good to be true. If this is $499, I think I really have to consider going with Xbox next gen. I don't think Sony would be able to match these specs at that price. I really wish they weren't so dead silent. Right now, looking at games pass and all this news and hype... I'm dying for the xbox sx, and I feel like the PS5 is a console I know I'll buy but maybe not until a few years in when I could scoop up all those first party games for cheap.

Microsoft seems like they're going all out next gen and they firmly have my attention and interest probably for the first time ever.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Suspend/resume multiple games is a feature that will probably mean something to me once I'm used to it, but as of right now it's pretty much "eh, alright"

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
the github leak was around that and insiders say it was above an RTX2080, so it's within expectations

Makes sense to me. If we're going by the numbers and that says it's 20-25% more powerful than a 5700 XT, then wouldn't the Nvidia equivalent be somewhere in between the 2080 and 2080 Super?

And considering the 2080 cost at least $600 right now this thing would be a steal for the same price. Cost should come down once the next series is out but we definitely won't be getting those "build a PC equivalent to a Xbox for $600" videos anytime soon.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out Aquariuszi (in taiwan ptt forum people trusted him as a insider) is spot on, he said Arden(XSX) is ~350mm2 back in October 2019.

Re: [情報] Zen3/Milan官方架構圖出來了

IPC再高也不能讓我準時下班 目前天宮本家的產品都挺安靜的 首先Renoir應該趕不上今年上 應該說所有要靠輪班星7nm量產的計畫都被往後延最少三個月 然後天宮就發了mail來

Dude is also claiming the PS5 is 300mm2, hmmm.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Have to say, this seems like it is a much bigger leap than last gen when you factor in also the software side of things with VRS, mesh shading etc.

Nov 28, 2017
I love how the external NVMe drive remind me of these. We came a long way from 64MB lol.

41AD22HQSDL._AC_.jpg

Definitely going to have to own both consoles again this gen.
Three when the next Nintendo drops

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020
Impressive machine! It like everything about it so far and I love how open MS is being with revealing all the specs and even showing the internals.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
All this news blew my mind this morning! And then I had to work but now that it over I still haven't processed it all. Terflops, SSDs, and Ray Tracing, oh my!

Reading about the decompresser and all the software support was extremely cool. It seems like a big part of the design philosophy is work smarter not harder.

Really excited to see games take advantage of all the new features!

(and not gonna lie super excited for Minecraft with path tracing).

This was a good Monday. 😊

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Did they mention how CPU cores will be used for the OS? Is it one core with hyper threading or just one core with one instruction and the second instruction is used for games?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
As a Xbox fan but tech noob what exactly does this mean? "Xsx hardware can be used on xcloud blades"
What is that??

They are currently using Xbox One S hardware in their server blades for xCloud. Those will be updated to Series X hardware for game streaming meaning xCloud will have access to as much power as MS's highest physical offering.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
The only thing im worried about is the upcomming depression after the virus situation clears up. I remember that was a thing with the launch of the 8th gen in 2013. People had less to spend and chances are that the world's economy is gonna get a big hit.

XsX is probably gonna cost 699 and it would still be 'insanely cheap'. XsS is probably gonna be 399. My bet is that the sales of generation 9 will go very slowly for at least 2 years after launch.

Im not an expert, so its just saying what I think.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing im worried about is the upcomming depression after the virus situation clears up. I remember that was a thing with the launch of the 8th gen in 2013. People had less to spend and chances are that the world's economy is gonna get a big hit.

XsX is probably gonna cost 699 and it would still be 'insanely cheap'. XsS is probably gonna be 399. My bet is that the sales of generation 9 will go very slowly for at least 2 years after launch.

Im not an expert, so its just saying what I think.

$699? Not a chance. $599 absolute max, I think they're shooting for $499 though.

Game Pass/BC will also help with the transition. Buy a Series X, play all your existing Xbox One titles oh and here is a launch lineup of Series X games included in Game Pass.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
$699? Not a chance. $599 absolute max, I think they're shooting for $499 though.

Game Pass/BC will also help with the transition. Buy a Series X, play all your existing Xbox One titles oh and here is a launch lineup of Series X games included in Game Pass.
If they manage to sell it for 499 it will blow my mind like crazy. That would be insane.

If so, do you expect Sony to do the same with comparable hardware?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If they manage to sell it for 499 it will blow my mind like crazy. That would be insane.

If so, do you expect Sony to do the same with comparable hardware?

I think Sony is looking to land in that $399 to $499 range. Build a console that's powerful and will help their teams' drive great content while looking to pivot on PSNow to make it more attractive. Again BC will help with the transition early and hopefully Sony has some BC upgrades planned like MS is doing and is looking at how do you get more than just the hardcore over in the first 6-12 months and I believe it's by offering services that drive a ton of value.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
They are currently using Xbox One S hardware in their server blades for xCloud. Those will be updated to Series X hardware for game streaming meaning xCloud will have access to as much power as MS's highest physical offering.
Server blades for xcloud? Like the blades Xbox 360 use to have on the dashboard? So xcloud will be able to stream games that look identical to series x?

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Those teraflops got me hellaflopy

Rumor suggests PS5 a tad more powerful right? At that rate, both at $500-550 would be amazing feat.

Wait, where was it mentioned the PS5 would be more powerful? I haven't seen anything to suggest that.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Server blades for xcloud? Like the blades Xbox 360 use to have on the dashboard? So xcloud will be able to stream games that look identical to series x?

Oh sorry, they are using actual Xbox One S motherboards and parts to power the games in xCloud. The Series X hardware that was shown today will be replacing these in the Azure datacenters.

66701_01_microsoft-shows-8-xbox-one-power-xcloud-servers_full.jpg

63440_1313_project-xcloud-stream-xbox-games-phones-consoles_full.png

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
It is kind of funny about this whole situation. First we had the rumor of 12 TF. Everybody was saying WTF, impossible. Then we get confirmation. Now all of sudden we get these PS5 rumors that its going to be more than 12 TFs. Kind of crazy rollercoster we got going on, and we only just finished the Xbox part of the ride.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Rumor suggests PS5 a tad more powerful right? At that rate, both at $500-550 would be amazing feat.
One recent rumor said slightly below, one recent rumor said slightly above. Either way, it seems like most insiders are saying that the two systems will be more-or-less on par of each other.