• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
With the world in the midst of a horrible pandemic, trying to reveal your new gaming hardware is currently incredibly foolish and shortsighted.

Sony will have plenty of news cycles to itself. There is no need to rush.

So we're only allowed to consume sad news during this time? No fun distractions allowed? Are you currently posting in this forum to ensure we all keep the proper perspective? Good work keeping up the negative tone. Exactly what we needed.

LuckyX2

Feb 22, 2019
To everyone saying this is going to be $600-700, keep in mind the APU in this is actually slightly smaller than the APU in X1X and thus about the same cost to produce as that was at launch. 7nm is pretty mature with good yields by now. Also they're only using 10 GDDR chips now vs 12 in the X1X. So probably a bit higher for GDDR6 but then a bit lower with two less chips. So I'm guessing same cost there as well. As for the NVMe, I'm betting it's only PCIe 3.0 like AMD's 4000 series laptop chips in order to save power. The 2.8GB/s speed would indicate PCIe 3.0 as well. That makes the controller for the NVMe cheaper. Plus they can expect to make more money from people buying expansion cards and thus can take a little more of a hit on the console itself.

I'm saying it's going to be $499. $599 at most.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I didn't even mention the quoted prices. That wouldn't have been decided yet, and wouldn't need to be shared with those in the technical know.
I am not talking prices, but system specs. There were people that were throwing numbers like 12TF way before Microsoft ever went to TGA. For someone to come in and state that the specs were just above 12TF for me does nothing.

I said it before on the speculation thread; if you have information that you are not comfortable sharing, just keep quiet. Do not go into vague stuff.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I am not talking prices, but system specs. There were people that were throwing numbers like 12TF way before Microsoft ever went to TGA. For someone to come in and state that the specs were just above 12TF for me does nothing.

I said it before on the speculation thread; if you have information that you are not comfortable sharing, just keep quiet. Do not go into vague stuff.
TF's numbers were accurate to two decimal places. No one else made claims that specific and was right.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While it is a super minor thing, the HDR stuff is super cool. BC team bringing the goods.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Code:
Card               RTX-OPS
RTX 2060           37T
RTX 2060 Super     41T
RTX 2070           45T
RTX 2070 Super     52T
RTX 2080           60T
RTX 2080 Super     63T
RTX 2080 Ti        78T
Titan RTX          84T
Xbox Series X ray tracing performance: 25T.
Sounds like that's it settled then!

The reality is that comparing FP32 performance across AMD and NVIDIA cards, or even across different generation of cards from the same manufacturer, does not translate directly to game performance.
What this comparison does suggest to me though, is that AMD's RT hardware may be quite a bit weaker than NVIDIA's. But I believe NVIDIA also include the tensor cores in their "RTX-OPS" calculation which AMD lacks an equivalent to.
In short: we don't know until the hardware is actually out and comparisons are done. Anything else is blind speculation.

Imagine when people are arguing a 5 second load to a 7 second one, because its coming. :/
1 vs 7.

The cpu is 4+4 and not a "true" 8 core?
That's how Zen works. The CPUs are built from CCXes which are clusters of four cores.
The configuration of those can differ depending on how many cores a CPU has, and failed CCXes can be repurposed; e.g. two CCXes where 3/4 cores work can be used to build a 6-core CPU. It's how costs of high core count CPUs can be significantly lower than comparable products from Intel.

The data that informed MS to make the decision that they did. The data that supersedes that anecdotal information that is the norm around here...
Again: how can they have "usage data" for gyro aiming when none of their devices have it.
That "data" would be that nobody uses it on Xbox, because it was never an option to begin with.

Gyro begging is getting to be more annoying that port begging. XSX doesn't have gyro. Get over it.
No. They're holding back progress for another generation. Gyro aiming is like mouse aiming. It's a significant improvement over dual-analog.

Besides, wouldn't adding gyro mean downsides for other things? Wouldn't it cut into battery life?
Only if you're using it, and not by much.
People often bring up battery life or cost concerns, but the Steam Controller was the most advanced controller this generation, cost the least, and had the best battery life while running off a pair of AA batteries. It's not an issue.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So when do we realistically expect pre-orders to start? Will need to be extra fast to secure one of limited supply for this Fall.

Dec 31, 2017
With the world in the midst of a horrible pandemic, trying to reveal your new gaming hardware is currently incredibly foolish and shortsighted.

On the contrary, look at new concurrent users online in all gaming services. The reality is everyone is home, online, and has nothing better to do. Releasing news at this time actually gives them more coverage considering the amount of people trying to kill time while staying home.

Also, GDC online conferences, better release all your info now so you can openly talk about the platform afterwards, and it also means that by MS' E3 online showcase, they'll be able to only focus on games.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be very very costly here in Sweden. I expect it to cost at the very least 6 - 7 K SEK. At the low end, an RTX 2080 is 9000+ SEK..

Microsoft is much better when it comes to regional pricing than Sony will ever be. Also, keep in mind that Nordisk Film seem to have some crazy agreement with Sony over PlayStation. I have no idea why Sony still works with them. I would assume that a $599 price tag would be 6495:- or so. While the same price tag for a PS5 would end up being 7195:-.

Are you that insecure?

Why would he be insecure?

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is really impressive hardware. Next-gen is going to end up being a really nice jump.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017

lol why? i think its something to keep people entertained while they wait out the virus in thier homes.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
lockhart is likely on the way as well.
I was always on the fence of the "perceived value" of the rumored Lockhart. TF listed on a page can damage that kind of value when comparing a One X to the Lockhart. All these new features, and just the way the cogs turn on the insides of the system actually, really hype me up to the Lockhart reveal. I'm very curious about what the minimum-viable-next-gen specs will look like. I now just expect it to be a very performant, yet blurry, console. The exact opposite of the One S/One X right now. We're probably months away from that reveal though. Team Xbox seems to be focusing on us enthusiasts with their messaging at the moment.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
Starting to think I'll be going back to MS next gen. They are nailing it with the info drops on X box series

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
On the XSX, there are inevitably going to be situations where some GPU stuff is handballed to the slower memory pool, which, outside of situations where you're running a game at settings beyond what your system is capable of, doesn't happen on PC. While 363GBps is still a fair amount of bandwidth, it's also a reduction of almost half (40%), so the extent to which it impacts performance will depend on just how much memory bandwidth is a factor in what's being rendered. You're probably right that it's generally not going to be a big deal, though.
2080 - ~70GB/s DDR4 + 448GB/s of VRAM
2080Ti - ~70GB/s DDR4 + 616GB/s of VRAM
Xbox Series X - 363GB/s in worst case, when "fast" ram is filled by gpu stuff + 560GB/s of "VRAM"

I would say this is not bad at all. 363GB/s is still super fast compared to when you reach out to DDR4 or god forbid pagefile on PC when you are out of VRAM.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Memory setup is disappointing?
What were you expecting and what would impress you.

At least 24 GB of RAM.
Obviously corners would have to be cut on other ends in order to match the same price point. Personally (and based on what I heard from developers) I would have preferred to sacrifice a bit of GPU and/or CPU performance in favor of more RAM. Of course delaying next gen consoles for another year would have been an option too.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if this has already been posted but it's confirmed the new controller has usb-c.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Xbox Series X - 363GB/s in worst case, when "fast" ram is filled by gpu stuff + 560GB/s of "VRAM"

I would say this is not bad at all. 363GB/s is still super fast compared to when you reach out to DDR4 or god forbid pagefile on PC when you are out of VRAM.

Oh, most definitely. That would be why I said "363GBps is still a fair amount of bandwidth". ;)

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So it looks like AMD's hardware RT implementation is very similar to what is being done in Turing. So people arguing that Turing RT came too early and would be obsolete with the launch of next gen consoles weren't remotely correct?

With the advent of local ray, it's been said that their innovation in real time raytracing comes with the invention of a new acceleration structure that accounts for dynamic objects. This prevents the need for the traditional BVH structure to be rebuilt every frame. I was assuming that AMD would have come up with something similar, but hardware accelerated, but it seems that RDNA2 might be competing more with Turing rather than Ampere (assuming that Nvidia will provide further innovation)?

Edit: Anyway, I have to tip my hat to Microsoft. Their system is an absolute monster! I'm so happy the bar for next gen is this high! I look forward to seeing what next-gen games look like!

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think you can add the bandwidth like this. It's shared.

sado0og

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Can we safely assume that ms will only show games, games, games for their next conference??

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
"While the Xbox Series X will deliver a massive increase in GPU performance and continue to redefine and advance the state of art in graphics with new capabilities such as hardware accelerated raytracing," said Jason Ronald, Director of Product Management on Xbox Series X, "we don't believe this generation will be defined by graphics or resolution alone."

The team knew they needed to build a next generation console that could run games in 4K at 60 fps with no compromises for developers. They also challenged themselves to deliver a level of performance once thought impossible on console, including support for up to 120 fps for the most demanding and competitive games. While they believe resolution and frame rate are creative decisions best left in the hands of title developers, the team wanted to ensure the system was able to support the needs of the largest blockbusters, competitive esports, and innovative independent creators.

Really encouraging seeing the team's commitment to high framerate going into next gen.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Is this our first look at actual RDNA2 hardware in operation? In particular does it give us insight on AMD's ray tracing implementation? My impression is that there still hasn't been much detail shown, but I haven't been following closely. I'm curious what their hardware solution is like compared to Nvidia's, and whether this could be a dramatic shift for GPU hardware overall.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
What is very interesting, is the fact that he the YouTuber says to him 'so when you gonna launch in 6 months'

wasnt there a rumor recently that said they are going to sell it in September which is 6 months from now?

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
On the XSX, there are inevitably going to be situations where some GPU stuff is handballed to the slower memory pool

Why? The only way this happens is if your demand for fast ram exceeds 10GB. It's only at this point that you can't continue to split your data across all 10 chips.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Code:
RTX 2060           37T
RTX 2060 Super     41T
RTX 2070           45T
RTX 2070 Super     52T
RTX 2080           60T
RTX 2080 Super     63T
RTX 2080 Ti        78T
Titan RTX          84T

How about this: RT performance alone is 13 TFLOPs on Xbox Series X (25-12TFLOPS)

Turing's RT core can deliver 10 TFLOPS per gigaray, a RTX 2080 has 8 gigays per second, so 8*10TFLOPs = 80 TFLOPs of RT performance.

Hm, could be bullshit, because that would make for a much weaker RT solution. But yeah I agree that the RTX-Ops can't be compared to AMD's way of measuring RT performance.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, but Sony have the best exclusives and might have the more powerful console too.
Well, when Sony comes out with games I want on PS5 I will get that as well. But, as I did last gen I'll get the Xbox to start as it will have the games I know I want already (and I effectively already "own" them via Game Pass).

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
What a fucking beast. And there still is more to share!? Hot damn those dedicated blocks to specific tasks is great to hear!

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Code:
RTX 2060           37T
RTX 2060 Super     41T
RTX 2070           45T
RTX 2070 Super     52T
RTX 2080           60T
RTX 2080 Super     63T
RTX 2080 Ti        78T
Titan RTX          84T

The reality is that comparing FP32 performance across AMD and NVIDIA cards, or even across different generation of cards from the same manufacturer, does not translate directly to game performance.
What this comparison does suggest to me though, is that AMD's RT hardware may be quite a bit weaker than NVIDIA's. But I believe NVIDIA also include the tensor cores in their "RTX-OPS" calculation which AMD lacks an equivalent to.
In short: we don't know until the hardware is actually out and comparisons are done. Anything else is blind speculation.

1 vs 7.

That's how Zen works. The CPUs are built from CCXes which are clusters of four cores.
The configuration of those can differ depending on how many cores a CPU has, and failed CCXes can be repurposed; e.g. two CCXes where 3/4 cores work can be used to build a 6-core CPU. It's how costs of high core count CPUs can be significantly lower than comparable products from Intel.

Again: how can they have "usage data" for gyro aiming when none of their devices have it.
That "data" would be that nobody uses it on Xbox, because it was never an option to begin with.

No. They're holding back progress for another generation. Gyro aiming is like mouse aiming. It's a significant improvement over dual-analog.

Only if you're using it, and not by much.
People often bring up battery life or cost concerns, but the Steam Controller was the most advanced controller this generation, cost the least, and had the best battery life while running off a pair of AA batteries. It's not an issue.

Are you a developer? I'm curious about your 1 second claim. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it seemed authoritative.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
For reference RTX 2080 ti is 10 billion rays per second.

Dictator???
But I think Nvidia's figure is for fully bounced rays. Ms is quoting the number of intersections the hardware can perform.

So they wouldn't be the exact same measurement.

Still sounds like the gpu has some serious raytracing performance given it was able to run minecraftRT in 4k60 without any specific optimization.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
Controller is super disappointing.
They should be standardizing a gyro (optional in games!) and back buttons/paddles.