• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I honestly think that the backwards compatibility team can enhance game resolution and even add things like HDR is the most impressive thing about the Series X specs. The fact that when the Series X launches I will be able to play all of the big Xbox franchises' games day one in 4k and possibly even with HDR is astonishing to me honestly. Gears UE, Fable 1 Anniversary and Halo MCC are re-releases but they all do enough (in my opinion) to justify playing those over the original. But still, if you buy into Xbox this gen, you can play every big Xbox game on Series X in 4k with minimum investment since all the games are old enough to be bought cheap. Even cheaper if you subscribe to Xbox Gamepass.

I honestly wish/hope that Sony has something similar planned for the PS5. It really sucks to me that I cannot play all God of War or Uncharted or Ratchet and Clank games on the same system

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Making extra hardware sucks, I doubt its a straight money grab.
So why did Sony make their own storage for the Vita? And Microsoft their own HDDs for the 360? This probably isn't as "custom" as you think. From the specs, it looks like some mid-range NAND chips with an average controller on a 2x PCIe4 bus. It's not that complicated.
I agree that others should be able to sell their versions of expendable storage as long as it meets the criteria of Microsoft.
Then they don't need the proprietary connector, and you should unhappy with that decision. Even if they mean well, it's still a dumb move in the long run.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Well, I don't mind it on portable systems but when I'm sitting in my chair playing on a TV, I don't like having to keep my hands in a certain position. With portable games you have to do that anyways to see the screen.
Agree. I just meant the Vita's short analog stick throw necessitates the additional method of input.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Responding to Hoo-Doo is playing right into his hands. He comes into threads like this, ejaculates his take, and swiftly departs. Very infrequently does he return to address the rebuttals. He knows exactly what he's doing and now, so do you, newly-and-duly-informed reader.
he do this on every Xbox thread

so people should Ignore him

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Just finished watching the Digital Foundry coverage and... wow. Consider me impressed.

If only you could side-load Windows, I would buy 4 of these things. And the new controller has no paddles?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The hardware is very impressive to say the least. I am most shocked by the ray tracing demo as they showed Minecraft fully path traced. I didn't know their technology was sophisticated enough to do such feat. I thought the RT support was more like a check mark and it will be used very lightly in games. I guess I was wrong. Anyhow, this takes me back to the X360 era where consoles were actually cutting edge when they came out. Something that the Xbox One and PS4 were not even close to that. The only concern for me next gen is the low end 4TFLOPs console that is rumored to launch as well. That will be the limiting factor for games. We also don't know what Sony is planning as well, and their silence has been pretty strange so far. Let's hope their console is close to the Series X.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So 10Gb for GPU and 6Gb for CPU perhaps?

Yeah. 6GB for the system would make sense given the nature of quick resume means keeping the game stored in RAM so it can be easily and quickly retrieved by the OS.

Edit: Disregard. 13.5GB/2.5GB split. It'll be interesting to see how spreading a game across both pools can affect performance.

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Everything I've seen is nice, but I'm really feeling the lack of dedicated software. Even the dashboard looks the same as my X. Still interested, but Gears 5 is old news even if it's prettier.
Oh yes but Gears 5 really is just an example of what support for already released games will look like. Similar to X or Pro enhanced patches.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. 6GB for the system would make sense given the nature of quick resume means keeping the game stored in RAM so it can be easily and quickly retrieved by the OS.

Edit: Disregard. 13.5GB/2.5GB split. It'll be interesting to see how spreading a game across both pools can affect performance.

Quick Resume is stored on SSD, not RAM. RAM storage was last generation's approach.

Oct 27, 2017
I apologize if its been asked/answered, but on the controller - is the back part have rubberized grips like the elite/some of the limited runs devices or is it just plastic with a texture?

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
So why did Sony make their own storage for the Vita? And Microsoft their own HDDs for the 360? This probably isn't as "custom" as you think. From the specs, it looks like some mid-range NAND chips with an average controller on a 2x PCIe4 bus. It's not that complicated.

Then they don't need the proprietary connector, and you should unhappy with that decision. Even if they mean well, it's still a dumb move in the long run.

Because sony and ms both made huge mistakes.

But that exactly my point, why make a custom connector and packaging in this day and age without an actual technical reason. The connector was actually why I thought there might not be a controller on the cart, btw.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it's so beefy

I feel like my RTX2080 + 3700x won't be able to play next gen games at 60fps (that are 30fps on console)

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019

But that exactly my point, why make a custom connector and packaging in this day and age without an actual technical reason. The connector was actually why I thought there might not be a controller on the cart, btw.
It wasn't a mistake, it made money.

Again, wrt. a controller being present or not, we'll see when they announce pricing.

EDIT: What I mean by that is that, even if there is no controller on the cards tehmselves, that's actually worse if it's not reflected in the pricing. It'll make it way hard to get 3rd party drives working later.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

Ohhh, I just thought of another reason - and it may have to do with security and NVME (if you look back at that security presentation)

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
It wasn't a mistake, it made money.

Again, wrt. a controller being present or not, we'll see when they announce pricing.
It was a mistake in that is was unnecessary and especially for the vita damaging to the ecosystem, and the core of it was it was to make money first, not as a solution to a technical problem.

EDIT: it was also to try to keep the hardware secure, and from that frame it was probably seen as more necessary.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Imagine what a new Banjo would look like on this thing...

th
Something approaching this trailer please:
www.youtube.com

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts 2006 E3 Trailer

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is an action-adventure video game developed by Rare and published by Microsoft Game Studios. The fifth and final title in the Ban...

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
It was a mistake in that is was unnecessary and especially for the vita damaging to the ecosystem, and the core of it was it was to make money first, not as a solution to a technical problem.
Please show me the technical problem this solves.
Ohhh, I just thought of another reason - and it may have to do with security and NVME (if you look back at that security presentation)
Link? I have no idea what you're talking about. But I don't immediately see how a proprietary connector is going to help much in that regard.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Just built a PC with a 3700x and a 2080 Super. Phew, glad I didn't go any lower. Hopefully that should keep me going for a bit to keep up with the consoles.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I'll save that GPU money for this and PS5 lol. Basically pointless to upgrade your PC if you aren't already at 2080 or higher

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Please show me the technical problem this solves.

Link? No idea what you're talking about. But I don't immediately see how a proprietary connector is going to help much in that regard.
www.platformsecuritysummit.com

Guarding Against Physical Attacks: The Xbox One Story - Tony Chen, Microsoft - Platform Security Summit 2019

Conference on composable software supply chain integrity and hardware-assisted platform security, with OpenEmbedded, OpenXT and other ecosystems

My thinking: proprietary connector because the SSD is not connecting direct to NVME(edit: sorry, this was to be pcie), it also has to go to a controller on the motherboard. USB has a ton of layers on it already, but NVME has DMA (direct memory access) and other nice things that could make it a security nightmare.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
www.platformsecuritysummit.com

Guarding Against Physical Attacks: The Xbox One Story - Tony Chen, Microsoft - Platform Security Summit 2019

Conference on composable software supply chain integrity and hardware-assisted platform security, with OpenEmbedded, OpenXT and other ecosystems

My thinking: proprietary connector because the SSD is not connecting direct to NVME(edit: sorry, this was to be pcie), it also has to go to a controller on the motherboard. USB has a ton of layers on it already, but NVME has DMA (direct memory access) and other nice things that could make it a security nightmare.
I'll watch it and come back.

Before watching it though, as a consumer, I care more about open standards than I care about DRM lasting a bit longer.

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The news drop today is just

CxIr7qo.gif

Xbox is killing it. The last time I got a console day one was 9/9/99. That's probably going to change this year if sharonavirus doesn't stifle production.