• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So this puts to bed the idea of One compatibility holding new games back, right? Since they have to run off an SSD? Wonder how the old consoles handle a game like Infinite, then.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
Absolutely fantastic showing. My only complaint is that lack of any new major controller features.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting some game confirmations (hopefully, will get strong japanese representation) but probably i'm gonna jump to the Xbox ecosystem next gen. BC and this sexy AF machine, did the trick.

Jan 21, 2019
An Xbox-logo on known-good hardware should do the trick.

Besides, both the PS3 and PS4 allowed you to use whatever HDD you wanted. How many issues have you heard of this causing?
The Spiderman developers talked about this that some people stick shitty hard drives into their PlayStation and they had to take this into account when designing the game and it's streaming engine. Proprietary means devs can fully concentrate on a level playing field instead of covering for stupid consumer decisions.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's 12.5GB for games total, right?

"Memory performance is asymmetrical - it's not something we could have done with the PC," explains Andrew Goossen "10 gigabytes of physical memory [runs at] 560GB/s. We call this GPU optimal memory. Six gigabytes [runs at] 336GB/s. We call this standard memory. GPU optimal and standard offer identical performance for CPU audio and file IO. The only hardware component that sees a difference in the GPU."

In terms of how the memory is allocated, games get a total of 13.5GB in total, which encompasses all 10GB of GPU optimal memory and 3.5GB of standard memory. This leaves 2.5GB of GDDR6 memory from the slower pool for the operating system and the front-end shell. From Microsoft's perspective, it is still a unified memory system, even if performance can vary. "In conversations with developers, it's typically easy for games to more than fill up their standard memory quota with CPU, audio data, stack data, and executable data, script data, and developers like such a trade-off when it gives them more potential bandwidth," says Goossen.

13.5 for games, 2.5 of the slower pool reserved for the OS.

www.eurogamer.net

Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs

This is it. After months of teaser trailers, blog posts and even the occasional leak, we can finally reveal firm, hard …

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the world in the midst of a horrible pandemic, trying to reveal your new gaming hardware is currently incredibly foolish and shortsighted.

Sony will have plenty of news cycles to itself. There is no need to rush.
This post is foolish and utterly misguided, if government procedure and advice by health experts is being followed its right for people to continue doing what they love. I doubt your concern is genuine anyway, you come off as bitter like usual in an Xbox news thread.

Last edited:

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Still digging into all the videos but the design of the console is some amazing engineering, the way all the parts come together.

This thing will be a beast.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This post is foolish and utterly misguided, if government procedure and advice by health experts is being followed its right for people to continue doing what they love. I doubt your concern is genuine anyway, you come off as bitter like usual in an Xbox need thread.
Dont bother indeed. Knew who posted it before i looked haha.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine what a new Banjo would look like on this thing...

th

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So XSX games won't be able to be played off a external HDD, so Halo Infinite for example has to be on the internal. But what about Xbox One, 360 and OG games? I have tons of that on my external, there's no real reason I can think of these wouldn't work?

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft, you understand us.

In this time of turmoil in the world it would be easy and absolutely acceptable to go radio silent for a while until we all recover. But the world needs things like this to boost moral, provide some happiness and albeit trivial, something to look forward to.

Thanks !

Yeah! I love how open Microsoft is and how they communicate with their Fans :)

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
The fact that MS is putting the Raw and Compressed IO is interesting. They probably know that PS5 SSD is more advanced maybe?

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
The Spiderman developers talked about this that some people stick shitty hard drives into their PlayStation and they had to take this into account when designing the game and it's streaming engine. Proprietary means devs can fully concentrate on a level playing field instead of covering for stupid consumer decisions.
No, that's what enforcing baseline requirements for hardware means. Proprietary means higher prices, and dead hardware once the manufacturers stops providing replacement parts.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
The AMD blog has something interesting near the bottom as well:

The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year. It is a privilege to be Microsoft's trusted partner, and we look forward to a successful launch this holiday season!

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So XSX games won't be able to be played off a external HDD, so Halo Infinite for example has to be on the internal. But what about Xbox One, 360 and OG games? I have tons of that on my external, there's no real reason I can think of these wouldn't work?
Xbox One, 360, OG Xbox play from USB external hdd according to WindowsCentral.com

Dec 16, 2017
Everything I've seen is nice, but I'm really feeling the lack of dedicated software. Even the dashboard looks the same as my X. Still interested, but Gears 5 is old news even if it's prettier.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
If that is the case, and the savings are substantial and passed on to the consumer, I'll take my hat off for MS.

I don't believe it though.

I can't think of any. The performance is nothing special. It looks like a money-grab to me, though I will reserve final judgment until we know what pricing is like.

I doubt it too, but keeping 1Tb at $100 would be acceptable to me

Making extra hardware sucks, I doubt its a straight money grab.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
The reveal is cool and all but what about sound? Wasn't there supposed to be dedicated audio hardware?
Regardless, it's quite the machine. Glad to see MS incorporating software tricks/solution taking advantage of their forte as a company.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Sony should really announce something soon. Everything MS is saying about the Series X right now is great and Sony is nowhere to be found. Even as someone that primarily plays on PS4 I'm getting excited about the SX more than the PS5.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Responding to Hoo-Doo is playing right into his hands. He comes into threads like this, ejaculates his take, and swiftly departs. Very infrequently does he return to address the rebuttals. He knows exactly what he's doing and now, so do you, newly-and-duly-informed reader.