• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Intresting in the Evans vid the talk about the name. And thats indeed Xbox and this specific console is Series X.
Also intresting is that they closer to launch the really just want to show what the platform can do and show the awesome games. Almost like they wanted to get this "out of the way"
So more room later for other stuff.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So it looks like we have the hardware down. Whatever the replacement for E3 is called should essentially be almost 100% dedicated to software. Of course price will be spoken about too.

Speaking of software, I wonder if the demo we saw today of the OS is indicative of what the final OS will look like or if they are running it with an Xbox One like dash now to save the surprise/reveal for later? I also want to see/hear the full bootup look and sounds.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
LOL, what? You say that as if that's factual. Maybe for you it is, I absolutely don't like it at all. Splatoon 2 has it too, right? Guess how I play that game. Gyro disabled.

Splatoon 2 is an extreme example. Gyro aim for fine adjustments as a supplement to traditional analog aiming is straight-up better and more precise than analog aiming on its own. A master player with gyro+stick aim will always beat a master stick only player unless the aim assist in the game is so aggressive that there's no need for the precise aim adjustments that gyro allows for.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Intresting in the Evans vid the talk about the name. And thats indeed Xbox and this specific console is Series X.
Also intresting is that they closer to launch the really just want to show what the platform can do and show the awesome games. Almost like they wanted to get this "out of the way"
So more room later for other stuff.
That's what I was thinking with this big info dump today. They just want all the spec stuff out of the way and are saving the wow factor reveal of games to help soften the blow of the price that follows.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Technically speaking it is amazing. It's like Microsoft woke up all of a sudden and remembered it can outclass any competitor they chose in terms of hardware and software design. The question now is how much will it cost and how many people will buy it. Because I don't see Sony matching this performance.

Sony may have only given us a logo and promises but it's still their game to lose. As long as their box provides RTX, 4K, HDR, 3D audio and a SSD at a competitive price they could lose in the performance war but still win the sales war if the ecosystem they built is transferred properly.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Gyro begging is getting to be more annoying that port begging. XSX doesn't have gyro. Get over it.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say I really love how MS is taking a "no bullshit" approach to the unveiling of this thing. To have this much transparency of what a next-gen console's components are and what it will be capable this far out from it's launch is really refreshing.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Only if you take literally no precautions. A simple speedtest would probably do the trick, and if you want to be really draconian, you could do certification and use a whitelist.

True, but that involves a consumer buying and bringing home something that doesn't work.

The benefit of consoles, to players and developers alike, is that everything is plug and play

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
It's gonna be a steal at $500 but I am starting to doubt anything under $550-600 with all those specs.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Previous generation Xbox titles can still be played directly from external USB 3.2 hard drives. However, to receive all the benefits of the Xbox Velocity Architecture and optimal performance, Xbox Series X, optimized games should be played from the internal SSD or Xbox Series X Storage Expansion Card.
So is this saying that if you wanted to run something like the versions of Gears 5 or Minecraft that MS used to demo technical upgrades then they'll have to be installed on the SSD to work?

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
True, but that involves a consumer buying and bringing home something that doesn't work.

The benefit of consoles, to players and developers alike, is that everything is plug and play
An Xbox-logo on known-good hardware should do the trick.

Besides, both the PS3 and PS4 allowed you to use whatever HDD you wanted. How many issues have you heard of this causing?

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I didn't understand watching the DF analysis is why it has two separate memory pools at different speeds. Rich only mentioned that it couldn't have been made any other way but I didn't get why.

I took it to mean that it was done for a combination of production-at-scale and price.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
With current COVID-19 climate etc no way Series X is going for 499 USD. I'm seeing at least 599 USD, perhaps 549 USD. If MS go for 499 USD I'm seriously impressed.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
It's crazy how accurate the reddit 2019 and github leaks have been. God I can't wait for the next gen to hit, this console looks unreal.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

You are 100% correct - you cannot ever rely on someone buying the right thing, when they barely understand anything about it in the first place. It sucks, but its the right thing to do for 99.9% of people.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Wonder how well PUBG will run on this thing and also if this means we finally get the super duper 4K texture pack for Minecraft.

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
That SSD expansion card is sexy AF. Wonder how much it will cost.
You sitting down? It's proprietary tech so MS can't rely on economies of scale to drive the price down. Most people will be fine with the internal and a large USB drive to back up games.

If MS could develop some automated solution to manage storage it would be great. However, its still faster to move a game from one tier to another rather than re-downloading.

If you need portability or want to expand the fast storage, you can break the bank for the memory card.

Last edited:

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
An Xbox-logo on known-good hardware should do the trick.

Besides, both the PS3 and PS4 allowed you to use whatever HDD you wanted. How many issues have you heard of this causing?
Theres 2 things going on that could keep it from being a straight swap with a consumer SSD.

1) there may be NO controller in the cart, which would save a LOT of money and could keep the cost down (and honestly based on the size, this might not be too far off)
2) if there is a controller on the cart, it could be so custom that a normal SSD wont cut it anyway

Either way, or in others, there could be technical reasons to make it not have a generic drop-in (aside from having to have specific performance and cooling)

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
I'm so excited for this thing. What a perfect thing to pair with an LG CX. This winter is gonna be great!

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Does anyone have a picture of the Spartan on the fan?
Here ...

ETPDwiFWoAIDxUH

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone only predict 10 GB for games? Curious what that means for Lockhart now.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Dude I've never been this excited for a next gen console even going back to nes. They have optimized every single little detail on this beast!

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Theres 2 things going on that could keep it from being a straight swap with a consumer SSD.

1) there may be NO controller in the cart, which would save a LOT of money and could keep the cost down (and honestly based on the size, this might not be too far off)
2) if there is a controller on the cart, it could be so custom that a normal SSD wont cut it anyway
If that is the case, and the savings are substantial and passed on to the consumer, I'll take my hat off for MS.

I don't believe it though.
Either way, or in others, there could be technical reasons to make it not have a generic drop-in (aside from having to have specific performance and cooling)
I can't think of any. The performance is nothing special. It looks like a money-grab to me, though I will reserve final judgment until we know what pricing is like.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
omg i just noticed the anaconda logo on the XSX mainboard

lockhart probability just shot to 100%

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone only predict 10 GB for games? Curious what that means for Lockhart now.

It's 13.5 for games.

10 of it is "GPU Optimized"

The other 3.5 is the slower grouping but it all shows as a unified pool. Speed is dictated by which pool the devs hits with the call with the slower groups meant more for things like sound and CPU processes.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Dark1x, I don't know if this was mentioned in your meeting, but is the os stuff that was shown off placeholder or something akin to what we will see in the final product? Based on the brief glimpses we saw in the video it looks to be pretty similar to the current ui.
Yeah. It's the same for now. They're still working on it. It seems like they want to unify their platforms, though, so who knows how much it will change.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm genuinely so hyped for this console. I didn't think they could get me this hyped ever again. It just looks so well made in every single possible way. From the hardware to the software MS are saying the right things.

I hope it's genuinely good, and I'm not falling for the marketing and it turns out the game suspend doesn't work at launch or some shit.

I just feel like, it can't be this good right?

Right?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This forum sometimes, smh. Gyro IS better than dual stick aiming wether you consider it a gimmick or not. Series X controller already off to a bad start.
Not if you like winning. If you told me I was in a lobby with nothing but gyro players for a game like COD or Apex, I'm the guaranteed winner every match.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Thank god next gen base consoles will actually be powerful for 2020 standards. This is looking really good so far,way better than the equilevant hardware released in 2013 current gen consoles

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It's 13.5 for games.

10 of it is "GPU Optimized"

The other 3.5 is the slower grouping but it all shows as a unified pool. Speed is dictated by which pool the devs hits with the call with the slower groups meant more for things like sound and CPU processes.
It is 10GB for GPU data for games. Still additional 3.5GB available to games that don't require the highspeed. They took audio as an example.
Thanks! Very interesting 🧐 no one predicted that 😆 No doubt it's been dialed in considering the thought that has gone into all other aspects.