• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
That is just an incredible piece of technology that honestly exceeds what I was expecting from next generation, and this console paired with Xbox Game Pass is going to be the best console launch ever for me :)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
LOL, what? You say that as if that's factual. Maybe for you it is, I absolutely don't like it at all. Splatoon 2 has it too, right? Guess how I play that game. Gyro disabled.
It really is though, once you get used to it. You can already do some fantastic things with the DS4 gyro which blows just dual stick alone out of the water.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I didn't understand watching the DF analysis is why it has two separate memory pools at different speeds. Rich only mentioned that it couldn't have been made any other way but I didn't get why.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
One thing I didn't understand watching the DF analysis is why it has two separate memory pools at different speeds. Rich only mentioned that it couldn't have been made any other way but I didn't get why.
It's not two separate pools. It's different sized memory modules. Thus only 10GB can be accessed in parallel across 10 chips. The remaining 6GB is spread across 6 chips, meaning less parallel bandwidth.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. But man, I shudder to think about how fast the internal will be full. Games nowadays are already huge, how much bigger will they get for next gen I wonder?

Unless I'm mistaken, you can still use HDDs to store games. But next gen games will need to be played from the SSD, so I'm not worried about running out of space.

With 4k being the big thing, I think games sizes will trend a bit bigger, but things like smart delivery will help with that also.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Even if Gyro is better, it's all about muscle memory. It's a shame they didn't innovate a bit (probably due to saving fancy stuff to their Elite line) but at least they didn't ruin an already a perfect design.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think there Richard is referencing that it could not be made another way to fit into the "price" they are angling for while achieving performance.
Which price? IDK!

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
If my entire gaming life wasn't invested on PlayStation, and I was getting into gaming now, I'd buy an Xbox without thinking.

Microsoft is delivering on hardware, ecosystem and services, and they deserve all the praise for their work. I'm amazed!

Porsche85

alt account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Compare this to last gen'a Xbox one launch and it's insane. Phil Spencer was really an amazing pick for Xbox lead. I still have shivers over mattrick and the Kinect era....

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Sure, but the only alternative is to set the entire generation back by not taking advantage of new storage technology.
No, it is not. The alternative was to have the internal disk be user-replaceable, and use a standard m.2 NVMe connector. There is no reason why this wouldn't work. Even PCIe3 SSDs can be faster than the drive in the XSX, and it's likely PCIe4. Allowing user replaceable SSDs would have allowed users to improve performance and storage space cheaply down the line.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Compare this to last gen'a Xbox one launch and it's insane. Phil Spencer was really an amazing pick for Xbox lead. I still have shivers over mattrick and the Kinect era....
THIS, this box is made for people who give a shit about video games and all the small details that most companies would over look.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
No, it is not. The alternative was to have the internal disk be user-replaceable, and use a standard m.2 NVMe connector. There is no reason why this wouldn't work. Even PCIe3 SSDs can be faster than the drive in the XSX, and it's likely PCIe4. Allowing user replaceable SSDs would have allowed users to improve performance and storage space cheaply down the line.

It also would have allowed users to put in driver's that don't meet the minimum specs and potentially complicate and lower baseline targets for developers

Sorry but not for me it isnt.

Gyro objectively allows for more user precision and control. Even if you don't like it those are the facts. Not having the option is a mistake that will probably cost MS when 3rd party games can count on Nintendo, Sony, and PC having the feature.

Even if you don't like gyro for shooters, it's ace for any sort of quick selection or menu navigation, or really anything that best served by a mouse. Halo forge with a gyro would immediately be better than the current controller interface, for example.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I think there Richard is referencing that it could not be made another way to fit into the "price" they are angling for while achieving performance.
Which price? IDK!
This is interesting because there's two questions. Are 2GB chips really that much more expensive? Conversely, 256-bit chips at higher speeds must also be too expensive?

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If my entire gaming life wasn't invested on PlayStation, and I was getting into gaming now, I'd buy an Xbox without thinking.

Microsoft is delivering on hardware, ecosystem and services, and they deserve all the praise for their work. I'm amazed!

They really do, when the original xbox one was announced I had zero interest in the thing and didn't expect to buy an xbox system at all this gen, but they got me with the One S because of the UHD Blu-ray compatibility and then upgraded to a One X because of my growing library of games + game pass.

Im very excited about the next gen machine, but so far MS have only talked about hardware and services and haven't really talked about the games or shown many exclusives. Thats the one area that Sony still has a major advantage as well as far better japanese support.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Hey Dark1x, I don't know if this was mentioned in your meeting, but is the os stuff that was shown off placeholder or something akin to what we will see in the final product? Based on the brief glimpses we saw in the video it looks to be pretty similar to the current ui.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Let's go!!!!! COVID-19 may have got us on lockdown but the hype train is still moving.

Excited to see what this generation brings.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
There's a lot more to GPU performance than just TF. I thought we went through this last gen?
You can't directly compare AMD and NVIDIA TF (or even AMD/NVIDIA different generations).
Nvidia needs less for same real world performance.
Yes you can, a Teraflop is a Teraflop regardless of the architecture. Now if you want to compare architecture efficiency at getting closer to the theoretical power of the GPU then we can also discuss that.

Previous AMD GCN architectures were not as efficient at gaming workload as Nvidia but that has changed since RDNA 1 which is Navi. Accounting for identical cores and clock, they perform similar to one another.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the die size, is this a custom CPU component with much smaller internal cache? What's the deal? It's a fraction of the 2080Ti die size, and despite that being a larger node process, that's a GPU alone!

16GB RAM is definitely less than I expected, as I upgraded to 32GB system ram in prep... this will unfortunately hold back games for many years, but PCs will be able to have faster load times as a result...

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Man with the confidence and transparency they're showing, you just know they're confident in the games they have lined up....

...and THAT is exciting as hell.

Can't wait.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to finally a get a more complete picture of all the specs. Barring the RAM setup I'll pretty happy with everything. Now I can't wait to see all the amazing things devs will be able to do with this console.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
It also would have allowed users to put in driver's that don't meet the minimum specs and potentially complicate and lower baseline targets for developers

Gyro objectively allows for more user precision and control. Even if you don't like it those are the facts. Not having the option is a mistake that will probably cost MS when 3rd party games can count on Nintendo, Sony, and PC having the feature.

Even if you don't like gyro for shooters, it's ace for any sort of quick selection or menu navigation, or really anything that best served by a mouse. Halo forge with a gyro would immediately be better than the current controller interface, for example.
Only if you take literally no precautions. A simple speedtest would probably do the trick, and if you want to be really draconian, you could do certification and use a whitelist.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to remember the details, but how does this match up with that "coded" message at the old site? The one with 52 coos?

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Microsoft & AMD Supercharge Console Gaming with the Xbox Series X

I am excited to share some of the details that Microsoft announced today on Xbox® Series X, and how it is built upon the partnership with the team at AMD. Together, we have relentlessly pushed the innovation boundaries of gaming devices for the last 15 years. Today, AMD and Microsoft are...

AMD and Microsoft worked together for several years to design and optimize every aspect of the Xbox Series X System on a Chip (SoC). The goal was to deliver a transformational design, generational performance and broad experience uplift with innovation throughout silicon, system and software. Key features include:

• Transformational CPU computing performance powered by 8 "Zen 2" CPU Cores (16 Threads)
  • A customized GPU based on next generation AMD RDNA 2 gaming architecture with 52 compute units to deliver 12 TFLOPS of single precision performance, enabling increases in graphics performance and hardware accelerated DirectX Raytracing and Variable Rate Shading
  • New gaming experiences with seamless content paging from the SSD to the GPU based on the revolutionary Xbox Velocity Architecture
  • An innovative 320-bit wide GDDR6 memory interface to satisfy the most demanding visual experiences

The Xbox Series X is the biggest generational leap of SoC and API design that we've done with Microsoft, and it's an honor for AMD to partner with Microsoft for this endeavor. The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year. It is a privilege to be Microsoft's trusted partner, and we look forward to a successful launch this holiday season!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not two separate pools. It's different sized memory modules. Thus only 10GB can be accessed in parallel across 10 chips. The remaining 6GB is spread across 6 chips, meaning less parallel bandwidth.
Well it's how Rich described it. Although he said six 2GB chips and four 1GB chips.
Which price? IDK!
It's what I figured. I understand they're trying to squeeze as much profitability out of this thing but does having this weird setup with a few 1GB chips really make that much of a difference versus all of them being 2GB and the same speed? Or maybe it's a production issue I suppose.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This but as he would say himself: A lot of it comes from the team. The best way to put it imo is that Phil Spencer is the best enabler they could get for a talented team.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Looks amazing, my only concern if any is the massive fan on top and how much hot air is blown out. The way this device is, I would most certainly have to put it on top of my AV unit under my wall mounted TV so a steady stream of hot air into the tv cannot be great

Unless I missed that this can be placed sideways?

It can

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
So are we getting Lockhart news later this week? I find it interesting that the elephant in the room was not addressed at all in any of the DF videos, which leads me to believe there is a "not yet" alongside this...

Either way, pumped for the new Xbox. What a fantastic machine.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

Microsoft & AMD Supercharge Console Gaming with the Xbox Series X

I am excited to share some of the details that Microsoft announced today on Xbox® Series X, and how it is built upon the partnership with the team at AMD. Together, we have relentlessly pushed the innovation boundaries of gaming devices for the last 15 years. Today, AMD and Microsoft are...
Lol, marketing definitely put some fingers on those bullet points.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Damn....did not expect any new info this early or on a random Monday. That CPU speed is crazy. Those wondering how they hit 60fps. it is right there with that CPU at that clock speed. We were getting Native (some) Xbox One X games with 60fps with lots of compromises, but this system with those specs and much more that CPU will deliver 4k native at 60fps in many games. Sure there will be devs that will want to go graphics crazy and lock to 30fps, but we will finally see much more 4k/60fps games finally on console!