• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Why is Smart Delivery and Backwards Compatibility separate in the article? Also noticed they used the word "if" for Smart Delivery.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware hasn't been Microsoft's issue for half the generation, while this is nice it won't make up for where the actual difference is coming from.

Still good information to know.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it matters.

PlayStation needs to keep the market share of casual/hardcore gamers. Their ecosystem isn't nearly as robust as Microsoft (where they don't even care if you buy their console or not). With windows/game pass/etc. Microsoft doesn't need to sell the most consoles to survive, but PlayStation does.

If they're 2-4 tflops weaker than Series X then their only hope for success is to be priced significantly better - if Series X is $499 and PS5 is $399, Sony won't survive
100 dollars cheaper would def play a role. And while their ecosystem is not as robust as Xbox, their games speak volumes. I still think this wont be a factor once they finally reveal their PS5 games.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more of a PS guy but damn, that's a beast of a console. Hoping to pick one up further down the line when I can afford it lol

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Smart Delivery and Backwards Compatibility separate in the article? Also noticed they used the word "if" for Smart Delivery.

they can't guarantee games outside of their own being accessible via smart delivery

also technically if lockhart exists... it'd be part of smart delivery too as the texture assets would be different

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Can somebody explain to me like I'm 5 what are the implications of the different RAM bandwidths?
In a PC games have two pools of memory to work with, larger, slower system memory and smaller faster graphics memory, typically on the GPU. Since this a System on Chip (SOC), MS is mimicking this setup with a faster pool of memory for graphics and a slower pool for OS, audio, AI, etc.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. I'm one of the few that's fortunate enough to have a PC that can beat this spec-wise, and even I still kinda want one. It definitely helps that Console Game Pass has a much better variety of games (and more recent games) than PC Game Pass, and I'm all paid for Game Pass Ultimate through mid-2022

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why games won't play from a external HDD anymore? What's the reason I can only store XSX games on it but not play? Trying to understand it a little here. :)

XSX games will be built with the expectation that they'll have access to the speed SSDs provide. If you could run these games on an HDD external, which is much slower, the games couldn't possibly run properly.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love how powerful and well spec'd it all sounds, but holy hell is it massive.

Screenshot2020031615.jpg

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I don't understand the smart delivery backwards compatibility on the series X. So if I play fallout 4 on the series X I will get ultra settings similar to PC running at 4K 60fps, like the gears 5 example. Or, are only select games going to receive this custom tailored treatment before we see any real quality upgrades. If that's the case what's the difference in quality between the generic upgraded smart delivery upgrades, and the custom ones? Is it significant. Will they still run in 4K? This is confusing to me.

Smart delivery is how Microsoft provides these games to the consumer. So instead of there being Xbox One, One X, PC, and Series X versions of Halo Infinite in the Xbox store, there's only one version which is connected to all the different platforms. This is basically the same thing as their play anywhere program but across generations.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why one would ever set it sideways unless you had no other choice. Just looks better upright.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Damn that series x is a beast next gen going to be amazing forza horizon 5 is going to be mindblowing

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone determine the GPU layout from the die shot Colbert posted in the other thread?

Is it 2 Shader engines * 14 Workgroups * 2 CUs = 56 CUs (52 Active)?

-OR-

Is it 4 Shader engines * 7 Workgroups * 2 CUs = 56 CUs (52 Active)?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The Nvidia GPU's are somewhat downplayed because they can boost (overclock) quite high automatically, 2080 Ti tends to be a lot higher than 13 tf's.
It will be interesting if they can get 2.5ghz gpu's with ampere, i could see them making a small rtx 3060 & clocking it to a stupid amount to surpass a 2080 super in performance while being cheap to produce.
sorry for the slightly off topic question, but even a 2070super overclock himself without me using afterburner or any overclocking app? or it's just the 2080ti that do that with noticeable gains?
thanks.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He mentions "HDR reconstruction" for games that never implemented HDR (he uses Halo 5 and Fuzion Frenzy as examples). How, exactly, would that work? Also, I'm guessing the XSX implementation would work better than my Samsung TV's HDR+ mode?

EvilBoris explained in another thread:

I've been speaking to them about it. It's super sophisticated and extends the work done by the Coalition on Gears 5.

With Gears they trained an AI to look at SDR and HDR output frames of various games and understand what the difference in colour space transform was:

So HDR became the ground truth and SDR was the image that was derived from that.
The AI could see how HDR to SDR had and once it had been trained with enough data would actually be able to do the opposite. To take the SDR image and make it look like the same HDR image.

Trained with enough data you can then take an SDR game and perform that same inverse tone mapping.
They are working with an even more sophisticated setup than the software only approach of Gears 5.
Now the advantage with doing it at a source level, is that it is possible to have access to the original 11bit or 16bit data including, rather than have to apply it as a post-process to an 8bit image - which doesn't contain enough data to avoid banding.
Also because of it is happening at source, it is far faster and latency-free compared to doing it in other ways (or having a TV do it)

The Solution for the Xbox Series X goes further and all of this happens on the display controller so there is 0 affect on memory and GPU performance , working in HDR normally has a minor hit on these things. Which is actually why the S is overlocked vs the XB1 OG.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm sure the proprietary storage expansion is going to be expensive as balls.

Sure, but the only alternative is to set the entire generation back by not taking advantage of new storage technology.

Allowing massive external HDDs for storage while having an internal and an external SSD for gameplay sounds like a fine solution. When your SSD(s) are full, move the games that you won't be playing soon to the HDD to make room.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see the improvements to xCloud with the use of the Series X SOC.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I am so glad I bought Elite 2. No way I am going back to batteries after I got built in battery plus a docking case charger.

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
It's not.

Here's how it works...

SSD is required for playing Series X games.

However, USB HDD can still be used for backing up Series X games OR playing Xbox One, 360 or regular Xbox games via BC.

The fact is, the speed they're aiming for with this is ridiculously high - beyond most PC SSDs even. I expect PS5 will work much the same way.

I've said this for months - this was the only way you can realistically expand storage here for gameplay. USB won't cut it.
Tiered storage is the way to go. However, it would be great if this could be automated by the OS. For example, if you just downloaded a game, you're most likely to start playing it right away so it downloads to the SSD while games you haven't played in a while gets copied to the USB device. I'd hate to have to manually do this. If I want to play an older game, I can see the first time I play it being slow, but while I'm playing the system is swapping it to the NVME so it gets progressively faster until everything's moved over.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
sorry for the slightly off topic question, but even a 2070super overclock himself without me using afterburner or any overclocking app? or it's just the 2080ti that do that with noticeable gains?
thanks.
yeah, the boost clocks can go high without any of that, it depends on your model too obviously. one of the 2080 ti's comes at 1.9ghz for example.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
XSX games will be built with the expectation that they'll have access to the speed SSDs provide. If you could run these games on an HDD external, which is much slower, the games couldn't possibly run properly.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. But man, I shudder to think about how fast the internal will be full. Games nowadays are already huge, how much bigger will they get for next gen I wonder?