• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
Next-Gen is starting off strong thanks to Microsoft. Hopefully they deliver on games and price.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The fact is, the speed they're aiming for with this is ridiculously high - beyond most PC SSDs even. I expect PS5 will work much the same way.
Its hilarious that when this was revealed for PS5, some people straight up refused to accept the fact that next-gen systems might have faster storage than their current PC SSDs, almost as if the idea physically hurt them.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
"12 TFLOPs was our goal from the very beginning. We wanted a minimum doubling of performance over Xbox One X to support our 4K60 and 120 targets. And we wanted that doubling to apply uniformly to all games," explains Andrew Goossen. "To achieve this, we set a target of 2x the raw TFLOPs of performance knowing that architectural improvements would make the typical effective performance much higher than 2x. We set our goal as a doubling of raw TFLOPs of performance before architectural improvements were even considered - for a few reasons. Principally, it defined an audacious target for power consumption and so defined our whole system architecture.

"But also, in the early stages of design, it's difficult for us to accurately predict the uplift from architectural improvements across our worst cases. Our bar was a doubling in all cases, not just an average. So the most practical engineering way to ensure baseline 2x improvement across the worst cases logged in all games was to set a goal of twice the raw TFLOPs performance. So then we concentrated our efforts on making the effective performance even higher with architectural improvements and new features."

As expected, and so good.

Other forward-looking features also make the cut. Again, similar to Nvidia's existing Turing architecture, mesh shaders are incorporated into RDNA 2, allowing for a potentially explosive improvement in geometric detail.

Oh fuck yeah, mesh shaders. I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time hearing that mesh shaders are in RDNA 2 and thus Xbox Series X.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where has this been stated?

www.resetera.com

Confirmed: All Xbox One Controllers are Forward Compatible with Scarlett

I don’t believe this was known until now, but Xbox accessories Producting/Marketing manager James Shields confirmed that all current Xbox One controllers will be forward compatible with Scarlett: Huge news, and such a welcome change to the former status quo. Kudos to Microsoft for continuing...

It was that thread with the tweet, I took that to mean only Bluetooth ones would work,but reading it now Phil's tweet seems to indicate all....

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
You can't directly compare AMD and NVIDIA TF (or even AMD/NVIDIA different generations).
Nvidia needs less for same real world performance.

I realize this, but until an RDNA 2 card gets thoroughly tested, it's all we have; the raw floating point operation throughput.

You're making assumptions about relative AMD to nVidia performance based on past architectures. Your assumptions about how this translates into FPS could definitely be valid. But this also isn't a PC.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Does it finally have a battery?

Let's hope not !
I hope I don't have to deal with batteries I can't replace when they are busted or suddenly die on me and I can resume playing with a couple fresh AA without having to use a 3mt cable across the room.
#teamAAbatteries

Buy a few rechargeable AA and you basically have ALL the advantages of included battery, way cheaper and without the trouble.

Oct 1, 2019
Sony's mindshare is just too strong. But I like that MS is doing. I think that they will be happy if they increase market share with the new consoles.
Yes, the PlayStation brand is strong for now but this was also the situation during the PS2 era and Sony lost all of that dominance with just a series of bad decisions. This is just my prediction, I think history is about to repeat itself.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up 3 years of ultimate to take advantage of the conversion deal...and I do not have an Xb1 atm lol

MS is giving me confidence that I trust is not misplaced

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Really loving this transparency from Microsoft. They are overflowing with confidence. They are definitely planning to dominate next gen.

They're not only going to overcome a 60+ million gap, but dominate, all because they revealed their specs a couple of months earlier?

That's certainly a take...or wishful thinking.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the PlayStation brand is strong for now but this was also the situation during the PS2 era and Sony lost all of that dominance with just a series of bad decisions. This is just my prediction, I think history is about to repeat itself.
what bad decisions do you see sony making? even with all the crap they pulled during the ps3 era and launching a year later at a much higher price MS wasn't able to beat them.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
You can throw angry stones at me but this thing will outpace 2080ti over time. Probably not at launch but in the next 2 years. Yeah there will be 3xxx series already but still.

Absolutely packed with latest hardware and software tech.

Oct 27, 2017
Its hilarious that when this was revealed for PS5, some people straight up refused to accept the fact that next-gen systems might have faster storage than their current PC SSDs, almost as if the idea physically hurt them.

I mean, the hardware isn't any faster. It's on the higher tier of consumer NVMe products, sure, but it's how the software can access the I/O where the improvements are coming from.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Since game states will be stored directly in the system's SSD, they'll even persist after you turn off the console, unplug it entirely, or even take a system update. One of the testers on the team unplugged his console for a week, then took an update, and was still able to continue right where he left off without so much as a loading screen.

There are so many good tidbits in the article but this one stands out personally. I mean, this is really awesome and extremely convenient. This console looks like it's going to be genuinely amazing.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Confirmed: All Xbox One Controllers are Forward Compatible with Scarlett

I don’t believe this was known until now, but Xbox accessories Producting/Marketing manager James Shields confirmed that all current Xbox One controllers will be forward compatible with Scarlett: Huge news, and such a welcome change to the former status quo. Kudos to Microsoft for continuing...

It was that thread with the tweet, I took that to mean only Bluetooth ones would work,but reading it now Phil's tweet seems to indicate all....

It's always been all.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Controller still using AAs and not having a gyro is a pretty big yikes. Wtf are they thinking

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I mean, the hardware isn't any faster. It's on the higher tier of consumer NVMe products, sure, but it's how the software can access the I/O where the improvements are coming from.
2.4gb's is quite slow for a pcie 4.0 nvme (if that is what they use) but the software side plus hardware decompression is quite interesting & they claim it can double it, how often can speed be doubled in real time is yet to be seen though.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If you mean its equivalent to one of the absolute fastest consumer NVMe available running on latest AMD motherboard, then sure. But like Dark1x said, its beyond what most folks currently have in their PCs.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Controller still using AAs and not having a gyro is a pretty big yikes. Wtf are they thinking
Hardly a yikes when even on this enthusiast forum I've seen complaints for both - read the pro Xbox thread and it's people complaining of a built in battery in the pro controller. As an owner of a PlayStation and Xbox give me rechargeable eneloops over a completely dead controller anyday

Sirolf

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Le Mans , France
Happy to get a XsX when available!
Sony seems to be completely out of sync for the coming gen,mmmhhh not good..And i'm foremost a PS fan.
Kudos to MS :D

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

The Xbox Series X SSD is about on par with what I would expect a current PC NVMe drive to perform at. It's actually a bit slower than a mid to high end PC NVMe drive like the hp EX950 ($153 for 1TB). But the hardware compression/decompression is a huge benefit that PCs don't have.

XSX: 2.4GB/s
hp EX950: 3.5GB/s

www.tomshardware.com

HP SSD EX950 NVMe M.2 SSD Review: Geared for Gaming

HP’s SSD EX950 is a wicked fast NVMe M.2 SSD that ranks as one of the best on the market.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
posted in the xbox OT, but does that x1x series x gears comparison show off raytracing? lighting looks VERY different.

also, reiterating this is holiday 2020. i dont think they'd keep saying that if it was in doubt, but there it is.
I don't think so but iirc the TC devs DF interviewed said Gears 5 already had ray tracing built in for PC ultra settings so it's just a matter of XSX taking advantage of that.... something like that.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
The Nvidia GPU's are somewhat downplayed because they can boost (overclock) quite high automatically, 2080 Ti tends to be a lot higher than 13 tf's.
It will be interesting if they can get 2.5ghz gpu's with ampere, i could see them making a small rtx 3060 & clocking it to a stupid amount to surpass a 2080 super in performance while being cheap to produce.

Will definitely be interessting to see how far i can push my costum RTX 3080 with tripple fan design OC wise.

Im expecting 20-30% better performance over a 2080ti with way better RT.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Meh, I spent £150 on an Xbox controller that has a built-in battery and I'd still rather it used AAs. My rechargables last forever. Better than my dead DualShock 3s and Move controllers.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
As someone that prefers PlayStation (I've not had an Xbox since the original Xbox) MS is killing it. I've gone from not caring about Xbox to seriously thinking that I will be picking this up. I think I'm proof that Sony's silence is not helping them, b/c damn MS is getting me excited.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The Xbox Series X SSD is about on par with what I would expect a current PC NVMe drive to perform at. It's actually a bit slower than a mid to high end PC NVMe drive like the hp EX950 ($153 for 1TB). But the hardware compression/decompression is a huge benefit that PCs don't have.

XSX: 2.4GB/s
hp EX950: 3.5GB/s

www.tomshardware.com

HP SSD EX950 NVMe M.2 SSD Review: Geared for Gaming

HP’s SSD EX950 is a wicked fast NVMe M.2 SSD that ranks as one of the best on the market.
The decompression stuff & few people having nvme's (most people still get a sata ssd even in 2020) will probably mean ram requirements in PC ports will be jumped up, a high end PC having 24/26gb's of ram (8/11 gb vram & 16gb's ram) will probably help a bit, but we will see. there is going to be a lot of bitching on the steam forums from people with a gtx 960 & an i5 from 2012, it's upgrade season bois.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Looks great. Hopefully memory prices come down for expansion.

If they have cross Gen games, do they downgrade without ssd?

Ram sounds low, but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Looking beastly! I sure wish MS would put more of an effort in more markets besides NA and the UK. On the hardware front they've been doing great for a long time and some of their services (read: Gamepass) are indeed praise-worthy from a consumer perspective.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The decompression stuff & few people having nvme's (most people still get a sata ssd even in 2020) will probably mean ram requirements in PC ports will be jumped up, a high end PC having 24/26gb's of ram (8/11 gb vram & 16gb's ram) will probably help a bit, but we will see. there is going to be a lot of bitching on the steam forums from people with a gtx 960 & an i5 from 2012, it's upgrade season bois.
I think it will mean SSDs will be required for PC ports, maybe even NVMe SSDs.

The decompression stuff is cool and helps to get the most out of the SSD, but can't PC gamers buy a fast NVMe SSD with over 4 GB/s to perform smiliar? 4 GB/s NVMe SSDs can still be installed on PCIe 3.0 so most people could upgrade. RAM however is more expensive.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
This is not how storage works. Sigh. I'm not trying to take a dump on this thing; I think it's pretty good, all things considered. But you guys need to be realistic about what benefits it's going to offer.
This is how compression and packing works now in game engines. They use HDD as the baseline and when they pack the games, the most crucial data is duplicated and placed in multiple sectors to prevent hunting when looking for data. If the head is currently at the outer edge, you don't want to come down to the inner part to look for data, this adds latency and the more you keep hunting back and forth the higher the latency (milliseconds of latency). If you're already at the outer edge you can grab the duplicate instead. The speed of HDD is not uniform across the disk, the inner part is faster than the outer part.

SSD has "uniform" speed across the entire block so you don't need to duplicate data. Also helps that it is an order of magnitude faster than HDD. Latency in SSD is measured in nanoseconds compared to HDD in millisecond. Your current gen game you install on an Nvme SSD still uses the same packing and compression methods as HDD. Next gen we will be getting all new file, compression/decompression and packing methods which will use 2.4GB/s bandwidth as baseline compared to 50MB/s baseline we have now.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Platform warring
PS5 must be significantly weaker for Sony to remain this quiet - it's honestly concerning at this point