• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
As someone else mentioned earlier, this is very much a case of MS putting their man parts on the table.

I have no doubt in my mind that they are doing this because they know their console will win the "spec" war. So they are leaning into what they think it going to be a strength.

It's also abundantly clear that their open, transparent communication this time around is working. Minds are being changed every time the open their mouths.

They had all the work to do. But they are doing it and then some.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's not how this works. SSDs have been a thing on PCs for over a decade. This doesn't reduce install sizes.

That's because we've never had a platform standard that moved completely away from spinning media to a modern SSD.

If you could have every single PC have at a minimum the same SSD, we would see far better usage of that storage on the platform. Both the Series X and PS5 having a baseline SSD means games will be packaged and stored differently.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
It's not.

Here's how it works...

SSD is required for playing Series X games.

However, USB HDD can still be used for backing up Series X games OR playing Xbox One, 360 or regular Xbox games via BC.

The fact is, the speed they're aiming for with this is ridiculously high - beyond most PC SSDs even. I expect PS5 will work much the same way.

I've said this for months - this was the only way you can realistically expand storage here for gameplay. USB won't cut it.

Thanks for clarifying.
I was expecting some sort of hybrid storage with a SSD + HDD. The OS could sort out where to place files based on what games you are more likely to boot, or even split files between storage types based on some priority set by developers.
Many game files are barely used most of you gameplay time, or are used once (for example, an 4K CGI intro). Yet they will be there occupying scarce SSD storage.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
So it's actually almost 12.2TF - All that on a smaller die than the One X? Jesus

Overall the specs are actually better than what I expected. Kudos.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's because we've never had a platform standard that moved completely away from spinning media to a modern SSD.

If you could have every single PC have at a minimum the same SSD, we would see far better usage of that storage on the platform. Both the Series X and PS5 having a baseline SSD means games will be packaged and stored differently.

That's.... just not the case. I'm not interested into getting into a technical debate about this, but this is not the benefit MS is shooting for here. They're interested in ultra-fast loading of assets, not file compression.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Very impressive specs, even/especially at £600. Phil Spencer's done a good job turning things around and making Xbox an appealing gaming platform. Appealing enough to make me drop £600 and buy into the Xbox ecosystem? Afraid not, my PC is still meaty. But at least I can now spend my money on Xbox games on PC, so Phil's getting my money anyway, the crafty devil.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It all looks really impressive, but good luck selling these with a global financial crash and widespread pandemic

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the ram setup is curious. same thing that Nvidia did with the 970. though devs shouldn't have the same problem since everyone knows upfront.

Gears 5 SSGI is ok, but I was hoping for more. hopefully we'll get more, maybe in a quality/performance toggle?

and I told yall pathtraced Minecraft was gonna be for consoles. though I'm surprised they only had one person on it so far

Hawko

Apr 23, 2018
W-where are the games? The specs are impressive, but without any new games to showcase that power, it seems sort of pointless.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Having detailed specs is nice, nothing too surprisingly here though, i still wonder what they meant by secret sauce.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Impressive specs. Is 499 still feasible or do those of you familiar with these things expect a 599.99 machine?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a PS5 at launch mostly because I've recently invested a ton on PS4 digital games but that console is an absolutely absurd beast of a machine. Kudos to the people at Xbox who designed it.

Maybe the PC only people will stop laughing when we talk about 60fps for most games next gen :-)

I'll definitely get one later on in the gen.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impressive specs. Is 499 still feasible or do those of you familiar with these things expect a 599.99 machine?
They'll be taking a big loss at $499, but they may be willing to eat that loss considering all of the Game Pass Ultimate subscriptions they'll gain.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
the ram setup is curious. same thing that Nvidia did with the 970. though devs shouldn't have the same problem since everyone knows upfront.

Gears 5 SSGI is ok, but I was hoping for more. hopefully we'll get more, maybe in a quality/performance toggle?

and I told yall pathtraced Minecraft was gonna be for consoles. though I'm surprised they only had one person on it so far
They said Gears 5's patch isn't done, they only worked on it for 2 weeks.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
The magical ssd they were talking about is just an nvme? or is there more to that? I have a 1tb samsung 970 in my rig right now

The magical part is the software by the way of the Velocity architecture. People expecting them to put some kinda innovative, high end storage solution were always going to be disappointed. I think those days are long over for home consoles.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The magical part is the software by the way of the Velocity architecture. People expecting them to put some kinda innovative, high end storage solution were always going to be disappointed. I think those days are long over for home consoles.
I should have edited that comment but yeah I watched the video and see how they can surpass current R/W

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Looks great.

But 1TB is actually kinda low. Really only around about 800GB will be available for games.

Big AAA games are massive these days. Most of them 50-100 GB already. Can't imagine their size for next gen.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
China is expecting to be in a good state by the end of the month. Stock probably won't be an issue, what we need to worry about is software delays.
It will launch with halo infinite 100% so that's all that's really going to matter for it realistically, your other basic 3rd parties as well but all they need first party wise is that game
I haven't seen the same information on china