• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget that they included an expensive pack-in (Kinect) with the launch system. They could probably have lopped $50-100 off the launch price without it.

This is still... much more advanced than what Xbox One shipped with, relative to the times. The CPU isn't top tier but it's pretty good, same with the GPU. The NVMe speed and size is what's going to push this over the top, price-wise.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
All this sounds and looks incredibly impressive.

Based on the specs we have, is the SX as powerful as the 2080ti or close to it?

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe with the XSX using the 3700 CPU, Microsoft can finally do what Sony was afraid of doing, Ps2/Ps3 emulation.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Definitely approaching my PC in terms of hardware (9900K/2080/32GB CL14/1TB 970 Pro) but that's crazy fast even for a console.

Microsoft is definitely approaching next-gen in the correct way!

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
MS and dropping info out of nowhere like usual with this system
Still waiting on ANYTHING from sony, i'm PC and ps5 this gen but I still like to pry

The magical ssd they were talking about is just an nvme? or is there more to that? I have a 1tb samsung 970 in my rig right now

With the world in the midst of a horrible pandemic, trying to reveal your new gaming hardware is currently incredibly foolish and shortsighted.

Sony will have plenty of news cycles to itself. There is no need to rush.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I want this so bad! The next 7-8 months (hopefully) better go by real fast. And COVID-19 better not kill me!

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit... Microsoft, what the hell this is beyond prediction what you showed off. Honestly, looks like PCs just got tumbled off their pedestal. This console showing is bonkers.

Also what a good showing for AMD. While undoubtedly MS did most of the work, those Zen 2 cores are so lovely and I'm sure RDNA2 was a good deal of your work as well.
Ampere cards launch this year, so this doesn't really do anything to the PC space, but i'm excited that the new standard is set pretty high
a slightly underclocked 3700x and a beefed out GPU is a great baseline for future games
I'm excited for what ampere will do for that baseline, probably a solid 1440p 144fps on literally anything at max settings is all I care about and I might get that

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
This is some seriously impressive stuff, especially the enchantments to input latency.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I love how much information they keep providing. Every month it's like they're saying:

"Ball is in your court now, Sony!"

A month later: "Ball is still in your court, Sony."

A month later "... Have another ball."

Oct 26, 2017
Excellent looking box if they can deliver that for $500. Not sure I need it as I've recently doubled down on PC but I'll probably get it anyway.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
GPU looks to be about a 2080 Super in regards to performance. CPU is around a 3700x with a lower boost clock. 16 gigs of ram. 1 TB NVME. I'd say close to $2,000. If you're building a whole new setup (monitor included) then much more.

Form factor, that thing is just two GameCubes. the smaller the system, the more cost to increase power.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
With the world in the midst of a horrible pandemic, trying to reveal your new gaming hardware is currently incredibly foolish and shortsighted.

I mean it gives people something to talk about, MS is clearly excited for what they have, they even say so in the Austin Evans video
They have extreme confidence with this one and that's just enjoyable to see, they actually don't give a single shit because they know they have a rock
I don't see what's foolish at all, all the parts are proprietary and modded in house, nobody is changing anything at all about these systems in 6 months during a pandemic

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, prevedible, it would be the same crap with PS5 and people will EAT it and be happy about... PS Vita all over again :'(
Considering the system has built in memory and that's just for expandable memory makes it nothing like the vita. Sony launched Vita for $250 with NO storage, which means you had to buy it with the system. 32gb was $100...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord on that SSD demo of OLD games. Means a game like Witcher 3 will take 95% less amount of time to boot up!

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't even explain how good Microsoft are handling this. We all need a perk up and they drop all the info we need! Every tidbit. Is there any info we are missing now?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

With the world incredibly depressed this a beautiful distraction. Who cares if Sony has news cycles to themselves. This virus will still be going on when Sony shares their news. That will be a good distraction on that day as well.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

It's never a bad thing to get your mind of the harsh realities. If anything it's a good time for some news other then the pandemic. Which you prefer everyone not to do anything but read virus news 24/7?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Its a steal even for that price...
This. As a PC gamer this kind of performance at $599USD is a stupid amount of value, even at $699 or $799 (never going to happen) it's STILL amazing value. The CPU and GPU power along with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB NVME (when I bought my 1TB NVME it was almost the cost of a whole console lol)? God-damn, it makes me envious.

All this sounds and looks incredibly impressive.

Based on the specs we have, is the SX as powerful as the 2080ti or close to it?
Fairly close in terms of pure theoretical performance, especially for the price these things are going to be at. Think closer to a 2080 than a TI.

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
That CPU is really, really impressive.

Wasn't expecting mixed bandwidth for the RAM. I assume OS reserve will come from the slower pool

Porsche85

alt account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Honestly I'm just glad next-gen is pushing premium specs. Last gen was an ok upgrade but it wasn't really mind blowing. The gen prior to that though was amazing and really pushed the envelope and I happily paid $599 for a ps3 at launch. Hoping for the same graphical leap here.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the system has built in memory and that's just for expandable memory makes it nothing like the vita. Sony launched Vita for $250 with NO storage, which means you had to buy it with the system. 32gb was $100...

It's 1TB of memory. How long do you think that's going to last when games like RDR2 are *already* over 100GB? The additional NVMe is almost necessary.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

with alot of people in self quarantine and kids out of school I couldn't think of a better time to get the ear of your audience

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is absolutely hilarious looking back at all those comments of MS being behind sony around Xmas...Maybe, just maybe they were holding their cards close to their chest.

Can't wait to pre order this thing.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's 1TB of memory. How long do you think that's going to last when games like RDR2 are *already* over 100GB? The additional NVMe is almost necessary.

Games will come down in size since they don't have to copy multiple parts across a platter for quicker access in addition to some of the new DirectML tech.

They'll eventually balloon back up but we should see game sizes be a little more friendly early in the gen.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You couldn't play any game on Vita out of the box without also buying a memory card for around $40 extra. You can play games out of the box with this.

They also stated you can use a USB drive and transfer games back and forth. This is not that big of a deal.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds really good, exciting stuff. Auto HDR on old games sounds amazing.
Hopefully with all the specs out of the way we'll get some gameplay soon. I need to see Halo Infinite.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Now the question is, will Sony really stand out with its SSD ?

The presentation of Spiderman took 0.8 seconds to load if it is not bullshit and really applies it could be incredible

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The 2080ti is in a league of its own and the consoles just can't touch it. This is closer to 2070, if compared to nvidia.

I don't think a RTX 2070 or 2070 Super can run Gears of War 5 at 4K with even higher graphics settings than what the Xbox Series X Can do.
So this looks like it competes with the 2080 Super and 2080 Ti

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Now the question is, will Sony really stand out with its SSD ?

The presentation of Spiderman took 0.8 seconds to load if it is not bullshit and really applies it could be incredible

Wasn't that a version of Spiderman optimized for that storage solution vs a BC version of a title just running all around faster?

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
You couldn't play any game on Vita out of the box without also buying a memory card for around $40 extra. You can play games out of the box with this.
I've also had a 1tb NVMe for a while now, the best one available actually, and I don't ever have so many huge games installed at once that I ever even needed to think about needing more
This is an issue for the people who have 7 100gb+ games installed at a single time, Don't know a single person who does that, especially with how steam handles its installs, it's doom and gloom speak pretty much

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games will come down in size since they don't have to copy multiple parts across a platter for quicker access in addition to some of the new DirectML tech.

They'll eventually balloon back up but we should see game sizes be a little more friendly early in the gen.

Yeah, that's not how this works. SSDs have been a thing on PCs for over a decade. This doesn't reduce install sizes.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I can't believe they're just showing everything off like this. Don't think we've ever had this much transparency for a console reveal. Will the PS5 be comparable or what? Because jeez it's like they're not worries about the competition at all

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a RTX 2070 or 2070 Super can run Gears of War 5 at 4K with even higher graphics settings than what the Xbox Series X Can do.

N...no. It doesn't. This is a good machine, but like all consoles, they have to cut costs as well as they can to keep the price aggressive. This is not a 2080ti-equivalent machine.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

The 2080 Super doesn't even compete with the 2080 Ti and neither does this. The 2080 Ti stands in a league of its own, but yes, this would be closer to a 2080 Super than a 2070. That's still pretty damn good coming from the consoles we currently have.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they keep mentioning high framerates is refreshing. Although it remains to be seen if it will transfer to reality, even with Microsoft's own games, such as Hellblade II. But it's certainly nice to see a major player put such an emphasis on it. It's time to leave the console dregs of 30fps behind.