• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The resume feature isn't doing anything for me - I never have that urgent a desire to play a game, and save points are frequent in modern design.

It seems like a game focused machine, and credit to Microsoft for avoiding gimmicks, but I'm still looking for more out of next-gen. I'm interested in seeing if they can provide a seamless local cloud gaming experience with the Series X, as that could be it.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Wow, Xbox has one of the mic-drop moments yet again. People are all at home now anyways. And with Corona everywhere, this is some good and positive news. I'm extremely surprised they are allowing such an in-depth look into their console so early. They must be really confident in their product and competitiveness, there's no way they'd do it this early otherwise. They look like ready to launch.

Great stuff! Now give me that preorder button :P

For context they didn't reveal the Xbox 1X specs until mid May back in 2017, they must be insanely confident.

Rainemane

Oct 27, 2017
Series X is impressive damn but it also seems expensive. If this console cost $599 then I fully understand why Lockhart exist

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
So is that expanded storage slot with proprietary storage, like the Vita?
Yep. PS5 will no doubt be the same just a different type of proprietary. I am assuming the fact that you can still connect up external hdds that you can store games (possibly Xbox One games backwards) and run them in native mode.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's not.

Here's how it works...

SSD is required for playing Series X games.

However, USB HDD can still be used for backing up Series X games OR playing Xbox One, 360 or regular Xbox games via BC.

The fact is, the speed they're aiming for with this is ridiculously high - beyond most PC SSDs even. I expect PS5 will work much the same way.

I've said this for months - this was the only way you can realistically expand storage here for gameplay. USB won't cut it.

It feels like no matter how fast of a PC NVME SSD you have, the Xbox might have the advantage if they make sure BC games boot faster. And that quick resume seems really slick too.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1TB NVMe is going to make this pricier than a lot of people will want to pay, most likely.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
1TB NVMe is going to make this pricier than a lot of people will want to pay, most likely.
They run about 180$ or so right now, good ones at least
MS seems to have partnered with seagate though, probably getting very good prices on the base components and modifying them in house
system will probably be 500$

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
But can you plug in what we currently have on externals? I'm sure you can but don't expect the rate speeds at the NVMe, correct?

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
But can you plug in what we currently have on externals? I'm sure you can but don't expect the rate speeds at the NVMe, correct?
You won't be able to play series X games without their proprietary card, you can play everything else though
The cards will probably be about 100$ i'm guessing if they want to be competitive with PC NVMe prices... however it's proprietary so who knows

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
good stuff. Got to hand it to MS for actually being pretty transparent what is in this thing. I am still not very interested in the games MS releases, but the console is looking impressive.

Frustrated with lack of info from Sony. I don't think they are doing themselves any favours to be honest.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have 2x4tb + 1 native on my Xbox one X. And I use 8/9tb. I have a lot of game. I don't know how this will translate on this new system

You can still keep your Xbox one and older games on those drives, and you can back up your Xbox series x games to those drives, you just can't play them from those drives. So you'll probably have to transfer games you want to play to the internal storage.

Also wait on buying an expansion card, I almost guarantee that by the time you need it they'll have two or more terabyte cards out.

Yeah, prevedible, it would be the same crap with PS5 and people will EAT it and be happy about... PS Vita all over again :'(

This was really the only way you could have done this, plus it looks like third parties are allowed to produce cards. The one they showed off was made by Seagate.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
User Banned (1 Month): Platform warring, long history of similar behaviour
Yall got anymore of them logos?

w78gh.jpg

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Refreshing to see a console manufacturer being this open about unreleased hardware. Cool stuff.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They run about 180$ or so right now, good ones at least
MS seems to have partnered with seagate though, probably getting very good prices on the base components and modifying them in house
system will probably be 500$

There's no way MS hits $500 with these specs without losing quite a bit of money. Like, no way. Especially now with factories at low capacity.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Hardware Decompression – Hardware decompression is a dedicated hardware component introduced with Xbox Series X to allow games to consume as little space as possible on the SSD while eliminating all CPU overhead typically associated with run-time decompression. It reduces the software overhead of decompression when operating at full SSD performance from more than three CPU cores to zero – thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better gameplay and improved framerates. Hardware decompression is one of the components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture.

DirectStorage – DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

DirectML – Xbox Series X supports Machine Learning for games with DirectML, a component of DirectX. DirectML leverages unprecedented hardware performance in a console, benefiting from over 24 TFLOPS of 16-bit float performance and over 97 TOPS (trillion operations per second) of 4-bit integer performance on Xbox Series X. Machine Learning can improve a wide range of areas, such as making NPCs much smarter, providing vastly more lifelike animation, and greatly improving visual quality.

What a game changer.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
So proprietary Storage... hopefully this will work, unlike the other times.

Still 1TB its too little now at days and I prefer extra 30 secs in loading times than deleting and redownloading games every few weeks.

What sucks its that both PS5 and XSX are doing the same thing, so its not like we have a option.

Hopefully USB Drives can be used instead to install and run games, not just for backups.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way MS hits $500 with these specs without losing quite a bit of money. Like, no way. Especially now with factories at low capacity.
I mean they get a huge liquidator discount on literally everything... they also modify everything in house, what you see isn't a PC equivalent part and literally all of it is cheaper piece by piece, like the 12TF custom GPU/CPU they have isn't even a thing that can be compared to anything on the PC end price wise because it doesn't even exist
600$ is a death knell in the console space, that's just a known commodity

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Extremely impressive. I'm mostly a PC user, with no need for an Xbox, but I sort of want one. It's already more powerful than my computer (5 years old, it 6600k/980ti), and I'm not planning to build for a couple more years. The suspend resume on multiple games is awesome.

The storage doesn't bother me, backwards compatible stuff goes to an external hard drive, and 1TB internally can be managed pretty well I think. I've stuck with my 500GB PS4 just deleting shit I already beat.