• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new form factor makes this thing look huge in comparison.

SxyTj5j.jpg

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
1TB? That's going to fill up guickly with the size of games these days. I was also hoping for 32GB to make it more future proof, it seems like by a few years 16GB is going to be low.

You were hoping for a 32TB SSD?

This ghost is an idiot.

Last edited:

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
A question from someone who has never used the xbox: if I would get this in december 2020 together with gamepass, would it mean i'd have the complete (first party) backcatalogue to play?

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loving all these BC improvements. Looks to be a hell of a console. Will probably be my multiplat console of choice unless Sony brings out some kind of magic secret sauce

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft keeps spoiling us with these early next-gen details. I love it.

Thanks Phil!

OP
OP

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A question from someone who has never used the xbox: if I would get this in december 2020 together with gamepass, would it mean i'd have the complete (first party) backcatalogue to play?
Yep. Anything on the service when you join is yours to play at any point. they don't remove first party games

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
This is about as good as my pc build now I'd wager (i79700k/rtx 2080 super plus 1 tb NVME) will be available at 1/4 the cost

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Who is this guy showcasing the Series X. I'm glad for new info on next gen but I'm curious as to why they went with this guy as opposed to their own official channels with way more reach?

They invited a bunch of people. Channels like DF hit exactly the kinda audience that cares about hardware specs and technical details.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest question to me, are the controller still AA powered??? This one is huge for me. I am so tired of switching batteries every time.
Yes it is.

I think it's the best solution, though, as a collector of retro consoles. Built-in batteries are a nightmare for the future.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact you can just suspend multiple games, plug off your console, update it and the games are still running in the background so to speak is stunning, truly a gamechanger. Hardware is really powerful, makes my recent 900-1000 Euros PC look outdated already lmao.

I have to agree that Microsoft is probably very confident of the power advantage with all these reveals they're doing so early.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's a modified NVme, now i'm more interested, looks a bit weird in the Austin Evans video

DF info regarding expandable storage

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope that's not the only way you can expand storage.
It's not.

Here's how it works...

SSD is required for playing Series X games.

However, USB HDD can still be used for backing up Series X games OR playing Xbox One, 360 or regular Xbox games via BC.

The fact is, the speed they're aiming for with this is ridiculously high - beyond most PC SSDs even. I expect PS5 will work much the same way.

I've said this for months - this was the only way you can realistically expand storage here for gameplay. USB won't cut it.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that's not the only way you can expand storage.
The Austin Evans video mentions you can plug in an external HDD, but you won't be able to run Series X games from it?

It's not.

Here's how it works...

However, USB HDD can still be used for backing up Series X games OR playing Xbox One, 360 or regular Xbox games via BC.

The fact is, the speed they're aiming for with this is ridiculously high - beyond most PC SSDs even. I expect PS5 will work much the same way.

I've said this for months - this was the only way you can realistically expand storage here for gameplay. USB won't cut it.

There it is. The "backing up" part is important. Although I presume it would take a long ass time.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
That nvme card is cool. I was wondering how they were goingot handle that. I know some people would plug in their 6 year old WD external drive and wonder what happened top the fast loading.

I dont see a usbc port though?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Nice info blowout. Series X may come this year after all if they are not withholding marketing like Sony does.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not.

Here's how it works...

Intriguing as a likely XSX day one buyer, but it makes me wonder how many devs will actually be looking to make that jump and just straight-up make games for these high speed SSDs. Leaving behind anybody but the higher speed SSDs could also cut out the vast majority of PC gamers.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's not.

Here's how it works...

I had a feeling using HDDs for fridge space and previous gen stuff would be possible, I wonder how they will mitigate copy times when moving next gen games back and forth from HDD. With everything else taking seconds to load, those couple of minutes might be a bit much for some people

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Wow, Xbox has one of the mic-drop moments yet again. People are all at home now anyway. And with Corona everywhere, this is some good and positive news. I'm extremely surprised they are allowing such an in-depth look into their console so early. They must be really confident in their product and competitiveness, there's no way they'd do it this early otherwise. They look like ready to launch.

Great stuff! Now give me that preorder button :P

Last edited: