• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Ram speed really didn't matter much before 4k gaming.

Remember when for the first few years after launch tons of AAA PS4 games had no anisotropic filtering despite it being basically "free" even on low/mid end PCs at the time? This isn't a new issue but with 3D audio, ray tracing and a far more capable CPU competing for the same memory pool bandwidth will be crucial this gen even beyond resolution.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I didn't know there was a CPU, GPU and RAM difference!

How is this going to affect games though, would they just be made for the Xbox S as the base level and then optimised for the Xbox X?

I don't think this is a good move if there is going to be differences in the games between systems, I mean do I pay double the cost for a Xbox X when it's not double the spec of the Xbox S, because if I am only really going to get a Xbox to play Forza on I may as well just get the Xbox S.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was under the impression there will be 2 next-gen patches, a day one patch to give it a mild improvement over the old gen, and a more feature-filled patch in 2021 to add things like RT?

I have no idea, I thought there might be some improvements, like RT at launch but I couldn't find anything to confirm that. I just don't want to buy a Series S for the game and end up the version launching in November actually running in a lower resolution than the hardware I already own.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Will the PS5, Series S/X version be available to play November 19th?
Not the full one. Thats why i edited it. But there will be a "day one" patch for next gen.
But even if it doesnt i think the series s version would be a better version then One X. Even more when the game is open world. The series S cpu will be way better suited for it. And offcours the loadtimes will be alot better.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not the full one. Thats why i edited it. But there will be a "day one" patch for next gen.
But even if it doesnt i think the series s version would be a better version then One X. Even more when the game is open world. The series S cpu will be way better suited for it. And offcours the loadtimes will be alot better.
I agree, I'd definitely assume all 3 of the new consoles will run the game much better than the X1X purely due to the CPU improvement and SSD.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Yeah hopefully that's true, I don't mind a downgrade in resolution if I get stuff like RT in the deal. I just want to make sure I'm making sound purchasing decisions as CP is my most hyped game of the year

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
He is wrong and also the diffrence between all 3 consoles is so small it doesn't matter. A twitter post worthy of a console warrior.

Well, but he comparing CPU speed number between XSX and XSS whenever is one in SMT and one is not. Yes, difference is very minor, but for professional journalist like him, that's bad, though.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Many newer TVs support 1440p/120Hz output through HDMI 2.1, yes.

I don't see any reason the XSX can't run enhanced X1X games, even at 4K.

Xbox Series X will for sure. It will be able to run everything at twice the framerate if developers and the backcompat team optimize for it.

My question though, is whether the Xbox Series S can run the Xbox One X enhancements. The backcompat team should for sure be able to dial the enhancements down to 1440p for it (and maybe still double the framerate), but what about the rest of the X1X enhaancements beyond first-party games?

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
I'm mostly just wondering what effect the Series X would have if playing on a 1080p TV, if anything. I wouldn't mind going with that for a mostly guaranteed high and stable framerate at 1080p.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah hopefully that's true, I don't mind a downgrade in resolution if I get stuff like RT in the deal. I just want to make sure I'm making sound purchasing decisions as CP is my most hyped game of the year
RT wont be in the console versions of the game at launch, the next gen version of cyberpunk will come out for consoles in 2021.

The only way you will be able to play the 'next gen' version of cyberpunk this year is on a PC.

Oct 28, 2017
We don't know enough to answer your questions tbh. Will XSS guarantee 1080p/60 in every game? We know the XSX will.

Are you the type to buy one console, then buy the more powerful one when you upgrade the TV? Are you concerned about a mid-gen refresh Super Series X in 3-4 years? There are a lot of factors to consider.

If you tend to buy just one console, I'd buy the Series X. That way you are ready when the new TV comes into play.

If things play out how they should, you'll also get supersampling and far better graphics settings in the Series X versions of games.
Thanks for the info. I plan on just buying one console for the next 5/6 years, so I'm leaning towards the Series X. I'll wait for further info and hopefully side by side comparisons at 1080. I'll probably wait several months after release to be sure.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like for most people who aren't hardcore gamers, the primary comparison sheet will look something like

Xbox S - $300 - Plays all Xbox games
Xbox X - $500 - Plays all Xbox games.

Like sure, the Xbox X has more power and more storage, but most people just want the ability to play the games that they want to play.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know there was a CPU, GPU and RAM difference!

How is this going to affect games though, would they just be made for the Xbox S as the base level and then optimised for the Xbox X?

I don't think this is a good move if there is going to be differences in the games between systems, I mean do I pay double the cost for a Xbox X when it's not double the spec of the Xbox S, because if I am only really going to get a Xbox to play Forza on I may as well just get the Xbox S.

CPU difference is too small to matter and less is needed for the target. Same on GPU and Ram. You don't need all of that overhead if your target isn't the same. These specs are great for a 1440p box considering the RAM demands are going to be significantly less. I believe textures are like 75 - 80% of RAM usage. If you need 1/3rd the pixels you don't need the same amount of RAM or speed.

masterceewhy

Aug 4, 2020
Gonna be interesting to see if the Series S bottlenecks next gen consoles.
There's already a few devs saying it's gonna be hard to develop for, the faster we can dump the XONE and PS4 the better.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like for most people who aren't hardcore gamers, the primary comparison sheet will look something like

Like sure, the Xbox X has more power and more storage, but most people just want the ability to play the games that they want to play.

Agreed. Plus by BF2021 XSS will be on sale for sub $250. If you don't have a 4K TV or don't care then the XSS will suffice.

OP
OP
RexNovis

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Smart delivery is almost certainly going to be a thing. Keep in mind the S is going to be using lower quality textures compared to the X in many case, so memory speeds being slower aren't going to be as big a factor as it might seem on paper. If I'm moving 1 gig of texture data vs 2 gigs of texture data into ram, in a system where everything else is perfect, that's still going to take around the same length of time. Same with performing pixel shader effects on a 4K framebuffer vs a 1440p one. 1440p is approximately 45% the number of pixels as 4K.

The ram differences are about what I'd expect given the performance targets.

Edit: though people are on the nose to question the GPU TF difference when viewed through the same lens.
For GPU related memory tasks absolutely but since this a shared pool I don't think the same applies for non GPU memory tasks. My concern is more that latency and memory speed will have an impact on these other things. I don't foresee the bandwidth necessarily being an issue for the GPU Im just not certain it won't prove to be a bottleneck elsewhere when it comes to the speed of the memory clears and writes for non GPU related tasks.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
For GPU related memory tasks absolutely but since this a shared pool I don't think the same applies for non GPU memory tasks. My concern is more that latency and memory speed will have an impact on these other things. I don't foresee the bandwidth necessarily being an issue for the GPU Im just not certain it won't prove to be a bottleneck elsewhere when it comes to the speed of the memory clears and writes for non GPU related tasks.
idealy devs have the game write non gpu related stuff to the slower ram, and hopefuly most devs use lower rez assets in the xss version.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
glad there is a xss for casuals, new comers etc, but
thats a colossal performance to leave on the table for 200$ difference i think.
xsx looks like much better value to me, would pick that up in a heartbeat, if it werent for new geforce lineup

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please tell me what will be the cost to build an equivalent PC with the Xbox Series X components?

Also I would love to see what PC parts are the most equivalent to the console, thank you

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Split RAM again? WHY? on XSX they did it to eek out more bandwidth, getting 320 bit bus with only 16GB. Got it. easy to understand the reasoning.

On XSS they are doing it to LOWER bandwidth from 5 chip set up?!? Instead of 160 bit bus, they are using 128 bit bus for the 8GB. WHY? And is the 2GB even GDDR6? Is it even 32bit bus for the 2GB? It's either 16bit bus with GDDR6 or 32 bit bus with GDDR5? Is it just single 2GB chip of DDR4? I'm so confused...

Well at least the 2GB for OS is still more than twice faster as Switch's RAM for games. lol

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
Some of you guys seem to not realize that part of the reason for the relatively slow 2GB of memory is due to the fact that a certain amount of the RAM will be used up by the CPU--not the GPU.
GPU requires fast memory, for sure. CPU? Not so much. That's more reliant on latency than bandwidth. It's a cost-saving measure, sure, but not one that would really impact performance since a certain amount of that will be used by the OS, anyway.
You don't even see high-end desktop PC RAM bandwidth much higher than that, either.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Split RAM again? WHY? on XSX they did it to eek out more bandwidth, getting 320 bit bus with only 16GB. Got it. easy to understand the reasoning.

On XSS they are doing it to LOWER bandwidth from 5 chip set up?!? Instead of 160 bit bus, they are using 128 bit bus for the 8GB. WHY? And is the 2GB even GDDR6? Is it even 32bit bus for the 2GB? It's either 16bit bus with GDDR6 or 32 bit bus with GDDR5? Is it just single 2GB chip of DDR4? I'm so confused...

Well at least the 2GB for OS is still more than twice faster as Switch's RAM for games. lol
the 2GB of slower ram is likely system ram, not for games.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is looking like a Switch Lite situation imo. Not spec wise( looks like a great box) but value/feature wise. There are no must play next gen exclusive launch games so save your money and buy an X. There are just so many missing features that three years into this gens life cycle its not going to look like a great investment when you only saved $200. If the S had a disk drive It would be great for playing old xbox/360/one games and blu rays but without it just seems so limiting especially if i'll be paying X amount a year for new games or on a game pass subscription.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is looking like a Switch Lite situation imo. No spec wise( looks like a great box) but value/feature wise. There are no must play next gen exclusive launch games so save your money and buy an X. There are just so many missing features that three years into this gens life cycle its not going to look like a great investment when you only saved $200.
you thinking of it from a hardcore prospective, not the casul cod/madan player who doesnt care.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Kinda agree with this but also:
Xbox S - $25 per month - Plays all Xbox games
Xbox X - $35 per month - Plays all Xbox games.