• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The speed of the slower pool is similar to what you'd find in system memory for a modern PC. That'll obviously be all OS.

What I would expect from this console is 1440p in cross gen games and less demanding games going forward. Later in the gen, I would expect 1080p from this machine. Another thing is that they can tweak the graphic settings between XSX and XSS versions, just like different specced PCs. Resolution is not the only scaling slider.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those specs are not doing native 1440p/60fps, outside of maybe cross-gen games.
I am watching the video, and they are doubling down on native 4k games running at 1440p on the xsx. 1440p vs native 4k is roughly a 2x difference in pixels. 4 vs 12 tflops is 3x, they are going to struggle to run any next gen game running at native 4k on the xsx at 1440p on the xsx.

8.1 million pixels/3 = 2.7 million pixels. That's 1 million fewer pixels than 1440p, and far closer to the 2.1 million pixels of 1080p.

I guess they are doing what they did with the xbox one. market it as a 1080p console when most of the games were 900p or lower.

I suspect we will see cross gen games running at 1440p and thats about it.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The REAL interesting question is how will the Series S'll hold up at mid or late-gen. I wonder if it'll dip below 1080p and lose stuff like RT.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
A bit lower than I expected in terms of memory bandwith. I imagine this will mostly be a 1080p machine. Which isn't bad by any means. Anything below 1080p really suffers in my opinion, but 1080p is decent.

Specs don't scale the way you seem to think they do. You must be hung up on the Tflops number.

You can run pretty much any AAA PC game at 1440 ultra 60-100 FPS with a 2060 super card. Console games won't be running on "Ultra".

Not really...Try Gears, Horizon, or RDR2 on a 2060 super and you won't be getting 60 fps with ultra...

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
While the cpu differential is fairly minor the ram speed difference is quite large and definitely worth making note of.
Smart delivery is almost certainly going to be a thing. Keep in mind the S is going to be using lower quality textures compared to the X in many case, so memory speeds being slower aren't going to be as big a factor as it might seem on paper. If I'm moving 1 gig of texture data vs 2 gigs of texture data into ram, in a system where everything else is perfect, that's still going to take around the same length of time. Same with performing pixel shader effects on a 4K framebuffer vs a 1440p one. 1440p is approximately 45% the number of pixels as 4K.

The ram differences are about what I'd expect given the performance targets.

Edit: though people are on the nose to question the GPU TF difference when viewed through the same lens.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I am watching the video, and they are doubling down on native 4k games running at 1440p on the xsx. 1440p vs native 4k is roughly a 2x difference in pixels. 4 vs 12 tflops is 3x, they are going to struggle to run any next gen game running at native 4k on the xsx at 1440p on the xsx.

8.1 million pixels/3 = 2.7 million pixels. That's 1 million fewer pixels than 1440p, and far closer to the 2.1 million pixels of 1080p.

I guess they are doing what they did with the xbox one. market it as a 1080p console when most of the games were 900p or lower.

I suspect we will see cross gen games running at 1440p and thats about it.
Look native has not been mentioned at all, it's a 1440p marketed console how developers get there is up to them. Many tricks are available now more than ever, people need to forget about native resolutions.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap why anyone would buy the inferior experience is beyond me but as an enthusiast here I can only rationalize an X, not S.

It's too weak and there's no way you'll get the full experience and can't be convinced that educated people won't care. I also can't see how anyone here would rationalize getting it unless you want a lesser experience.

I mean, it should be obvious no? The cheaper version, if it plays games adequately, is all that some people may look for. Hell I might pick the S up later down the road just to play the exclusives (as long as the performance is adequate).

I think the console will have an audience. How big, time will tell.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Screenshot_20200909_165717.jpg

seems kinda low for the 2 GB
I guess for games this won't matter as the pool will be used for the OS. But I thinks it's low aswell.
Actual Next-Gen is on the right... for the next 7 years

Hello baseline... you fucking suck
The CPU and SSD are very important for the next gen experiences and those are a leap above Pro and One X.
its basically a PS4 Pro with a SSD and CPU. Same number of tflops and ram bandwidth. For 1080p and 1440p, that should be good enough.

56GBps should be good enough for the OS.
Good one.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
The difference in memory seems super significant. How does this compare to the One X?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap why anyone would buy the inferior experience is beyond me but as an enthusiast here I can only rationalize an X, not S.

It's too weak and there's no way you'll get the full experience and can't be convinced that educated people won't care. I also can't see how anyone here would rationalize getting it unless you want a lesser experience.
So you play on PC with soon with a 3090?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The difference in memory seems super significant. How does this compare to the One X?
  • 10 vs 12GB
  • Lower bandwidth by a margin than One X
  • More efficiently due to SFS and SSD. On current gen consoles a lot of RAM is wasted to preload data for the next >30 seconds. Not necessary on Series S|X or PS5.
  • series S can use SSD as virtual RAM, while One X can't.

Pantato

Nov 5, 2019
You have to remember these things are not in a Windows 10 environment. You get a little better performance.

I had a card that was supposedly as good as an original Xbox One and Gears of War 5 looked like total ass on my PC. However, totally functional on the console.
That's a good point.You are not the first person mentionning Gears 5, no doubt that first parties will have the ressources to optimize their games properly on the XSS.
For what it is worth, here is a comparison at 1440p between the RX580 (6.2TF, XB1X equivalent) and the RX5500XT (equivalent RDNA1 GPU but 30% more TF than the XSS, same bandwith). Keep in mind that the RX5500XT doesn't have an interleaved slow/fast RAM pool and doesn't have to share the bandwidth with the CPU. Also, we don't know yet what kind of IPC improvement RDNA2 is bringing to the table.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You might not be able to play your X1 games in X1X mode using the XSS, if the old github leak was anything to go by. I'd imagine you'd run X1 games in X1S mode but faster and with much better performance.

That said, it's way more powerful than the X1X but it has less RAM.
It's got to be that way given the RAM size difference. While the XSS is more powerful overall, and will be able to do things at 1440p and 1080p that the X1X can't (for example, Crysis Remastered using ray tracing is limited to 1080p on X1X, at that res, a hypothetical Crysis Remastered on XSS would have numerous advantages over the X1X version), at 4K it's going to be ram starved.

Edit: Oh, and, on performance targets, frankly I expect first party stuff to hit them, even if second and third party likely won't. As a rule of thumb, Xbox One games from first party teams were 1080p/30 on base consoles.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
That makes sense, they need to plan a different memory mapping, different optimizations, and basically do the whole game testing twice. It's going to be more work on that side of the development. It's like having to do the mid-gen dance right at the start of the generation, while they already have their hands full with the cross-gen problems.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
That makes sense, they need to plan a different memory mapping, different optimizations, and basically do the whole game testing twice. It's going to be more work on that side of the development. It's like having to do the mid-gen dance right at the start of the generation, while they already have their hands full with the cross-gen problems.
I dont get why this ids any difference than pc though?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That's a good point.You are not the first person mentionning Gears 5, no doubt that first parties will have the ressources to optimize their games properly on the XSS.
For what it is worth, here is a comparison at 1440p between the RX580 (6.2TF, XB1X equivalent) and the RX5500XT (equivalent RDNA1 GPU but 30% more TF than the XSS, same bandwith). Keep in mind that the RX5500XT doesn't have an interleaved slow/fast RAM pool and doesn't have to share the bandwidth with the CPU. Also, we don't know yet what kind of IPC improvement RDNA2 is bringing to the table.

Just looking at the benchmarks and extrapolating for next-gen gains increasing demands, it's going to be a great 1080p machine.

There's no need for us (as a community) to go to war over the 1440p target listed. The math just doesn't add up.

Of course less intensive/indie games can reach higher, but that's not really what we are discussing here.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'm impressed with what I've seen of the Series S specs so far.

What I'm really curious about though, is how backwards compatibility is going to be handled. I really want to know if the Series S will get the Xbox one X enhancements, but dialed back for 1440p?

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Just looking at the benchmarks and extrapolating for next-gen gains increasing demands, it's going to be a great 1080p machine.

There's no need for us (as a community) to go to war over the 1440p target listed. The math just doesn't add up.

Of course less intensive/indie games can reach higher, but that's not really what we are discussing here.
Do they even sell 1440p TV's? (Not pc monitors).

What's the penetration of 4k so far?

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I need to see this thing in action, they surely must have done some wizardry technically to see where the system needs to be to offer a great experience at 1080p/1440p?

MS seem to be pretty much in tune with technical wizardy when you see the BC team in action etc. I can only imagine theyve done something here. Im not technical enough to know if that ram is too slow lol.

The ram won't be low, it will be scaled in proportion to resolution. Just think back to the different engine analysis that ms did for the x, people were saying that the machine would not get to 4k, but as we know that wasn't the case for quite a few games.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Ugh, I was hoping for an affordable substitute for my one X, but with that ram speed and quantity seems it won't have a enhancements... i'm a bit upset on this model... :/

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is a 1080p/60fps machine that runs next gen titles, that'll be perfectly fine for most people interested in an entry level box.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The clock speed difference is interesting. Also this is a very good example why you shouldn't compare teraflops, even in the same series of GPUs. XSX at 4tf would still be a much more powerful system than the XSS at 4tf.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
The second half of your sentence answers the first half. You're an enthusiast. The vast majority of the people who buy consoles over their lifespan are not.

I'd consider myself an enthusiast, given It's my primary hobby. However I'd still consider getting an s as a second machine given the crazy price.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I was hoping for an affordable substitute for my one X, but with that ram speed and quantity seems it won't have a enhancements... i'm a bit upset on this model... :/
you were hoping a low end replacement for the high nd of the the last gen? also the s can do so many things the xb1x cant do.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tbh, if you're happy with the One X, you should keep that. The Series X is the true upgrade and the Series S is a starter for the nextgen. If people actually care about 4k, Series X is the logical step but maybe once the price drops.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Tbh, if you're happy with the One X, you should keep that. The Series X is the true upgrade and the Series S is a starter for the nextgen. If people actually care about 4k, Series X is the logical step but maybe once the price drops.

I view this as filling the role a slim or similar type console did in previous gens. A good entry point for price sensitive consumers, and also good as the 2nd console in a house or a console you'd buy for your kids.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I view this as filling the role a slim or similar type console did in previous gens. A good entry point for price sensitive consumers, and also good as the 2nd console in a house or a console you'd buy for your kids.
Agreed. The Series S will be a solid opener. Fast CPU, RAM and SSD. Also GPU is no slouch if it can push 1080p/1440p at 60. The price and GPU is also a major factor for those thinking about jumping in. Especially with EA on board too.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Do they even sell 1440p TV's? (Not pc monitors).

What's the penetration of 4k so far?
Many newer TVs support 1440p/120Hz output through HDMI 2.1, yes.

I'm impressed with what I've seen of the Series S specs so far.

What I'm really curious about though, is how backwards compatibility is going to be handled. I really want to know if the Series S will get the Xbox one X enhancements, but dialed back for 1440p?
I don't see any reason the XSX can't run enhanced X1X games, even at 4K.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a 1080p tv and no plans for upgrading for the next few years. I'm also fine with no disc drive. Is there any reason I should still get the Series X over the Series S? Would there be better performance with the Series X at 1080?

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I have a 1080p tv and no plans for upgrading for the next few years. I'm also fine with no disc drive. Is there any reason I should still get the Series X over the Series S? Would there be better performance with the Series X at 1080?

Maybe if there was a next gen showcase title that had to run at 1440p 30 FPS on the Series X, meaning it would run sub-1080p on Series S, but such a game won't be around for at least 2-3 years at a minimum I'd imagine.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
More likely to be 1080 with better textures/performance etc. If you have a TV that supports it. It will probably down sample from 4k and that will still look super nice but it's built for 4k really.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
We don't know enough to answer your questions tbh. Will XSS guarantee 1080p/60 in every game? We know the XSX will.

Are you the type to buy one console, then buy the more powerful one when you upgrade the TV? Are you concerned about a mid-gen refresh Super Series X in 3-4 years? There are a lot of factors to consider.

If you tend to buy just one console, I'd buy the Series X. That way you are ready when the new TV comes into play.

If things play out how they should, you'll also get supersampling and far better graphics settings in the Series X versions of games.