• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
How's everyone going to handle the storage topic? Think i'll just buy the Seagate expansion portable, not sure i want to spend more than 200 euros on the official expansion card.
I have two 14TB hard drives hooked up to my One X, so I'll use those for the Series X and move stuff to and from the internal SSD when needed. It's overkill, but I want to minimize redownloading stuff.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
How's everyone going to handle the storage topic? Think i'll just buy the Seagate expansion portable, not sure i want to spend more than 200 euros on the official expansion card.

I'm going to use my existing external drive (3TB HDD), and mostly just transfer games on and off the internal storage as need be. The transfer from HDD to internal was like ~5-7mins I think for 50GB games (or something similar to that), and so I'm okay with that as a system. I'll probably keep 3-4 games on the internal storage 90% of the time for a year, and then swap others on and off... Like, Madden or NBA 2K I might keep on there from Sept to Janu, but then realistic Iwon't play MAdden much after that so I'll move it to the ext storage.

I think after a year or two as more Xbox Series X games come out I'll end up probably buying the expandable storage. I think the price will be a bit lower. I'lls till keep the ext hdd for like "deep" storage.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm opting for a Seagate card. It's expensive sure, but not ridiculously overpriced compared to similar options.

Even then I'll probably struggle a bit with storage, so I also have a 1TB 5400rpm external drive I'll connect for cold storage.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017

Use my external drive and swap when needed. I honestly do not see the point of paying $200 for a memory card. The internal drive will hold anywhere from 10-20 games. So I'm fine with that.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Using that previous Microsoft store Series X link I was actually able to get one added to my cart. What are the chances that I'll actually be able to "Place Order"?

EDIT: No luck so far. It's interesting that they give you an order number before you even complete your order. I almost wonder if I use their help chat or call their help number and give them my order # and say that I'm trying to complete this transaction if they'll help me or not?

EDIT2: So at the "Review and place order" page I noticed that it's not estimating tax which makes me wonder if that's the issue here.

Last edited:

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Using that previous Microsoft store Series X link I was actually able to get one added to my cart. What are the chances that I'll actually be able to "Place Order"?

EDIT: No luck so far. It's interesting that they give you an order number before you even complete your order. I almost wonder if I use their help chat or call their help number and give them my order # and say that I'm trying to complete this transaction if they'll help me or not?

EDIT2: So at the "Review and place order" page I noticed that it's not estimating tax which makes me wonder if that's the issue here.
It will not calculate tax if it isn't available to order. I got lucky yesterday after about a dozen refreshes and was able to secure one again (probably the one I canceled...lol), so apparently a few pop up available from time to time.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It will not calculate tax if it isn't available to order. I got lucky yesterday after about a dozen refreshes and was able to secure one again (probably the one I canceled...lol), so apparently a few pop up available from time to time.

I wonder if that was their way of stopping stealth orders? Cause it seems like a lot of people got orders in when they should not have been able to. For funzies I contacted their Help Chat with my order number to see what their response would be:
Actually the reason as to why you cant complete the order right now because due to high demand and popularity of our Xbox Series X we can sometimes sell out quickly. We do not have the exact restocks dates for that Xbox Series X but you can check back for availability.

But no worries, we will surely be working on the 2nd wave to replenish the stocks.

And regarding the item on your cart, I would recommend to keep it there and then check the website from time to time so that once the console becomes available then proceed with the checkout immediately.
We do apologize for the inconvenience as we don't have the information of the availability of the product but once the item back on stock, will posted it on the website right away.

I do appreciate your patience and full understanding for this.

Once the item back in stock, you can chat us back and we will help you to complete your order in your cart.
Nothing earth shattering or surprising by any stretch but still kind of interesting.

MaxxxPower

Oct 27, 2017

I tried the chat route myself in that similar situation. They just apologized and said it was a hot commodity and to stay tuned for more info. Stay in the cart, find an autoclicker through google. Let it click through where you can watch it and multitask at the same time. You will know it works when the total changes from 499.99 to 5xx.xx depending on the tax rate where you live. Turn off auto clicker and click submit. Thats how i did mine. Best of luck

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I tried the chat route myself in that similar situation. They just apologized and said it was a hot commodity and to stay tuned for more info. Stay in the cart, find an autoclicker through google. Let it click through where you can watch it and multitask at the same time. You will know it works when the total changes from 499.99 to 5xx.xx depending on the tax rate where you live. Turn off auto clicker and click submit. Thats how i did mine. Best of luck

Thanks! I guess I'll give that a shot. I've used AutoHotkey before (hello MK11) but it's been long enough that I now don't know how to use this and have to refresh myself.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I bought a Samsung T5 (1TB) for 109€ some days ago. Should be enough for backwards compatible games.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Does anybody have a Series X AND a Series S preordered at the Microsoft store? Is that allowed? I have a Series X preorder on the Microsoft store but it never lets me finish the Series S transaction when I get to the final screen. I'm wondering if there is any restriction due to already. having a Series X. Do they let you preorder both?

EDIT: Of course after I post this it finally goes through for me! I can confirm you are allowed to preorder both a Series S and Series X from the Microsoft store!

Last edited:

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Man I'm debating keeping my pre-order vs canceling it. On the one hand I don't need a Series X right now - I have a PC with an RX 580, a PS4 Pro, and a Switch. I definitely have enough games to keep me occupied through mid-2021. On the other hand, new consoles are fun and exciting. I just think the responsible thing to do would be to cancel the pre-order.

Anyone else in the same camp?

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Man I'm debating keeping my pre-order vs canceling it. On the one hand I don't need a Series X right now - I have a PC with an RX 580, a PS4 Pro, and a Switch. I definitely have enough games to keep me occupied through mid-2021. On the other hand, new consoles are fun and exciting. I just think the responsible thing to do would be to cancel the pre-order.

i'll buy!

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019

I feel the same way at times, but I know as we get closer to launch the hype is going to get to me.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017

I cancelled mine because I was in that camp. Some days I regret it.
At this point, I'm just waiting for them to launch. We'll see how I feel then, I suppose

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
I have a segate 8TB usb drive to be long term storage. I am going to buy a cheap 1TB sata iii drive to store all BC games that I am currently playing. I will leave the internal for just Series X games. (~$150 Canadian for the ssd, but Prime day is coming so who knows)

Then wait for the expansion drives to come down in price.

stephbm6

Jun 30, 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
I tried to preorder one but I didn't get one. I'm kinda glad I didn't get one, I'll just use my XB1X for a while since I have Gamepass and I play my PS4 more and I have a PS5 coming on launch day.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I just check my MS store order history and my preorder doesn't show up there. I have an email and an order number confirming the order but I can't find it by going through the MS store website. Anyone else experiencing this? Will I actually get a console?

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I just check my MS store order history and my preorder doesn't show up there. I have an email and an order number confirming the order but I can't find it by going through the MS store website. Anyone else experiencing this? Will I actually get a console?

same. but if i click through the view or manage your order from the email it's there...

however i think this issue was brought up a couple weeks ago and at that time it was in my order history...

now it's not if i do it from the website.

could be because it's a preorder. overall, i'm not very worried.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
A month out and Amazon still has pending dates. Crazy. They should know what they have by now. Getting worried.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it's responsible but is it fun? You know what to do.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I was able to get a Series S pre-order in at the Microsoft Store ~3.5 hours ago! I managed to add it to my cart as soon as I got an alert but had trouble updating my payment option + billing address from my phone. By the time I got to my desktop a few minutes later, pre-orders were already OOS but I still had it in my cart. It took some time but I was able to update my payment options and billing address and successfully check out! So happy to use my Microsoft balance towards it!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
same. but if i click through the view or manage your order from the email it's there...

however i think this issue was brought up a couple weeks ago and at that time it was in my order history...

now it's not if i do it from the website.

could be because it's a preorder. overall, i'm not very worried.

I will be happily corrected if I'm wrong but I always thought that unless paying with MS/Xbox credit, which takes full payment immediately, all other preorders don't show in order history until charged and shipped.