• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Am I the only one who hates the idea of this?

To me a game is a work of art and having Microsoft change how the game was intended to look is off-putting.
Definitely not going to use it. They're basically guessing (with AI) at the missing colors, brightness in the spectrum and applying them. I'll just take SDR on games that never had HDR.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
On a guttural level I'm like, "Oh gods is this the new motion interpolation?" Though unlike the former, this sounds like technology that could be useful as it is further developed? I think some TVs already do a form of this, if you turn it on/off but it is horrible idea for film.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
On a guttural level I'm like, "Oh gods is this the new motion interpolation?" Though unlike the former, this sounds like technology that could be useful as it is further developed? I think some TVs already do a form of this, if you turn it on/off.

Yeah Tvs can do similar things, but often with a big latency hit, so not ideal for games really.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
This is one of the features I'm looking forward the most. Isn't this also using an algorithm derived from Gears 5?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I am kind of torn on this. If the implementation is good I'm all for it, but it does feel a bit like frame interpolation. I'll likely leave it off.

Also, can MS just make 343i stop working on Craig for a few days and put it into Halo 5? I don't want to replay the game because it is garbage, but I want to look at it in HDR.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Cool that this exists but I don't think I'd ever actually want to use it. Maybe I'd change my tune when I see it at home for myself.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm dying to try this with Alan Wake.

Oh yeah, good call.
Although thinking about it (sorry condemed), games that are very dark might not be good candidates, otherwise, you get the black crush situation you often see in many poor implementations of HDR titles.
So many things to consider< i can see why they might turn it of.

I wanna See Geometry Wars and Rez

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the toggle is "hot swappable" while already in a game, just in case you encounter an unwanted result.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
the AI he mentioned produces the HDR implementation

It's like DLSS but for HDR
Yes I understand, I just thought I heard him also saying that while it's producing it it's checking certain levels to see if they're high quality reproduction of HDR but I understand what you're saying I just can't imagine people going through every single game to decide whether as HDR feasible or not

not saying you are wrong and I will go back and read listen when I get a chance and of course I'm not familiar with the capabilities of the algorithm so I could be wrong

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm really curious to see this and even more curious to see it continue to evolve. My XSX won't be permanently hooked up to a 4k HDR TV (space limitations, mostly) but I am curious to see it in action and play around with it when I get one

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
They're also letting you play some games at higher framerates and resolutions than intended!

You can also freely adjust the display options on your television at any time, potentially wrecking the picture. I'm not sure how this is any different, especially since it's a setting too.
I mean, I hear 30fps is more cinematic.. so... "Art" checks out, I think. /s obviously

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
As a lover of HDR I've never been a fan on any general HDR 'upscaling' technique I've seen to date. Will be interesting to see if there is any success but I doubt I'll last long before disabling.

Oct 27, 2017
bloomd1uuz.jpg
What is this? The end of raiders of the Lost ark? Lol

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Interested to see how it looks on certain art styles like Fortnite and Overwatch.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
No, it's a dumb gimmick and I'll be turning it off straight away.
hoping it's more than a gimmick as I love HDR but also have turned off other "solutions" in the past

here is a brief explanation of what they're doing. I know there is a more detailed analysis somewhere but can not find atm. (someone here linked to it a couple weeks ago}

Techradar MS DHR

During Digital Foundry's visit to Microsoft's HQ in Redmond, Washington, the team was shown the Xbox One X enhanced version of Halo 5: Guardians, running with a very convincing HDR implementation. Even though developer 343 Industries never shipped the game to include HDR support originally, Microsoft has found an ingenious way to add HDR into the game – developed from the state-of-the-art HDR implementation used in Gears 5.

Microsoft ATG principal software engineer Claude Marais revealed that, by using a machine learning algorithm, the team was able to generate a full HDR image from SDR content – on any backwards compatible title.

And when Microsoft says any backwards compatible title can receive the HDR treatment – it means any title. The Digital Foundry team was stunned to see Fusion Frenzy – an original Xbox game that was released almost 20 years ago – running with real HDR.

Microsoft's new HDR-mapping tech will extend across the entire Xbox library on Xbox Series X, and apply to the hundreds of compatible games that don't have their own bespoke HDR modes already.

Some TV displays will ship with baked-in HDR-effect or HDR boost options – which aren't actually HDR proper. But Microsoft's technology creates exact heatmaps (instructions for the brightness settings) for the auto HDR tech to work from, ensuring the picture looks just as it should.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Honestly feel like it's going to suck in a lot of games. GTA IV impressions are a bit alarming, but i can also see why it might struggle... bloomy as fuck 360 game + blur filter on top which can only be turned off in PC version + only 720p resolution to get information from.

As was said many times, hopefully it's toggle-able per game.

Still very curious how it will all play out in various titles.
HDR is the colors of the pixels, nothing to do with resolution. i've played Hitman on Xb1S and it was 900p in HDR and it was spectacular.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
What would the difference be between this and TVs that do this already? I had a Sony that did this and it was 50/50. Some things looked great and other things were overblownn and terrible

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That's perfect! Can't wait to see how it looks. My hope is that the system makes it clear when it's enabled (since TVs will just see it as an HDR signal and that's it), with an easy way to toggle it to off on a per-game basis, but honestly if they're checking it out themselves and deeming what looks better and worse while making the process automatic on my end, that's beautiful.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What would the difference be between this and TVs that do this already? I had a Sony that did this and it was 50/50. Some things looked great and other things were overblownn and terrible

The console has access to the frame buffer before it is dropped to 8bit, so they can get a much higher bit depth out of the content. This alone will give a better image quality.
Then the AI has actually been trained on game content AND SDR and HDR image pairs.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
The console has access to the frame buffer before it is dropped to 8bit, so they can get a much higher bit depth out of the content. This alone will give a better image quality.
Then the AI has actually been trained on game content AND SDR and HDR image pairs.

ah ok so same basic thing, just more refined and made specifically for video games? Sounds awesome!
Like I said when the TV got it right it looked awesome so this is a great feature!

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if they enable it as an option.

Now that destiny is on gamepass I really feel like bungie/microsoft need to come together and fix whatever the hell is going on with that game.

That is clearly a game that has a horribly borked implementation, I almost wonder what would happen if bungie just let this rough algorithm try it instead.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Interesting, so it should be available to next gen titles as well, that don't natively support HDR?
Assuming it takes resources away from the GPU for machine learning task so probably not for native series X game. BC however is different, they can reserved part of the resource to do those task since running BC games don't require full power.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it takes resources away from the GPU for machine learning task so probably not for native series X game. BC however is different, they can reserved part of the resource to do those task since running BC games don't require full power.
It takes zero resources away from the GPU.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Now that destiny is on gamepass I really feel like bungie/microsoft need to come together and fix whatever the hell is going on with that game.

That is clearly a game that has a horribly borked implementation, I almost wonder what would happen if bungie just let this rough algorithm try it instead.
Man I was just going to post this HDR in Destiny 2 is been fucked since day one.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Am I the only one who hates the idea of this?

To me a game is a work of art and having Microsoft change how the game was intended to look is off-putting.
Properly implemented HDR really isn't "changing" the art, as it's effectively taking the visual information and detail that was already there and broadening it to fit within a wider color range than was originally possible. In many cases you would literally be bringing it closer to artistic intent. Halo 3 for example internally operates with a much broader dynamic range than is able to be output on an SDR display, but then "flattens" it for the final render. The X1X enhancements that enabled HDR just block the flattening step. Now, that's different than what's happening here under the hood, but it's still a relevant example. And has been said, if you don't like it, you can disable it.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'm really curious how well this is going to work. Gears 5 possibly has the best looking HDR I've seen. If they are using the same or an improved AI algorithm to apply HDR automatically, even if the results are half as good, that could still be amazing.

This could be an awesome reason to boot up old titles again.