• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexKalopsia

Aug 27, 2019
XSX —> AV Receiver —> TV

Lots of popping sounds in the dashboard, I hope it's something that can be fixed with a fw upgrade

Oct 27, 2017
My headphones (Arctis 9X) continue to be borked on Series X if you don't use any controller input for 10 seconds or so. Audio begins to stutter when the controller isn't in use.

It's a known problem that goes away if you use an older XB1 controller instead. I don't have that option but for anyone else who's currently having the same issue, that seems to be the temporary workaround. That or move the sticks around a bit so that the controller is never out of use.

With the amount of cutscenes in Yakuza 7, and the time that you spend just watching the TV, I gave up on the headphones for the time being.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this day one with my XSX.

XSX into LG CC into JBL 9.1 bar. When sending Dolby or Atmos there is obvious sound delay.

When using PS5 LCPM I don't notice anything.

Setting the XSX to uncompressed 5.1 makes everything in sync again.

In summary, the XSX has some issues sending Dolby/Atmos is my conclusion. Way too many people with different setups are having this issue. Look on the official forums on Microsoft. Also it was mentioned on Forbes article by John Archer too.

Hopefully they can fix this via software update.
+1. I have the same issues too. Sometimes it's slightly better but I've had times where it feels ridiculously out of sync. Seems like such a basic thing they need to get right and failed at.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have problems with both consoles.

Console -> LG C9 over ARC -> Samsung q90r

I had no problems with my PS4 Pro but with my PS5 i had to change from PCM to Bitstream Dolby to get voices in Spider-Man.

On my XSX i had to change from uncrompressed 5.1 to stereo to get voices in AC Valhalla. But strangely i didn't had this problem for days. Everything worked fine. Then suddenly i had no voices anymore. Maybe an update or something bugged out.

I hate that i can't use something that worked fine on the older consoles. And god why is there delay when i try to use dolby on the XSX? The damn console should be capable to output that to my soundbar without a fucking delay.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
On my XSX i had to change from uncrompressed 5.1 to stereo to get voices in AC Valhalla. But strangely i didn't had this problem for days. Everything worked fine. Then suddenly i had no voices anymore. Maybe an update or something bugged out.

Just out of curiosity, any particular reason you don't use Atmos? Personal preference?

And god why is there delay when i try to use dolby on the XSX?
Did you happen to try setting the sound to passthough on the TV

(my setup seems quite similar to yours and I found a big improvement with the synch in Watchdogs when changing that setting)

Maximrace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have the same problem with a delay on Xbox with Dolby atmos. My setup is like this: Xbox series X - lg cx -eArc- samsung hw q90r. Passthrough is enabled on the tv. Any fix for this? What would I lose by putting the Xbox to 7.1 pcm?

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I know the LG TVs have an issue with bitstream delay (apparently it's been a long time issue for LG), but for those connecting their Series X straight to their receivers, is there still awful Atmos delay like there was on the Xbox One? Delay on Atmos was so bad on my One S that it made the format unusable

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
That's a well known issue with LG OLEDs that has persisted for multiple TV generations. Dolby Digital from anything but the built in apps has significant delay and there's not much you can do about it. I use DTS specifically for this reason with both my PC and Xbox One X on my B8. It will never be fixed for either of us, although with the B9 you at least have eARC as an option.

Quoting this as people seemed to have missed it.

There is a long standing issue with the LG OLEDs and Dolby audio delay. It first popped up (to the best of my knowledge) in the B6 models and it affects multiple devices pumping out Dolby, not just the Xbox. There was a rash of complaints from people using Sky boxes that the sound was delayed.

There's no issue on most other TV's and no issues if you go via an amp so this is pretty much in LG's court to fix.

Last edited:

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
My headphones (Arctis 9X) continue to be borked on Series X if you don't use any controller input for 10 seconds or so. Audio begins to stutter when the controller isn't in use.

It's a known problem that goes away if you use an older XB1 controller instead. I don't have that option but for anyone else who's currently having the same issue, that seems to be the temporary workaround. That or move the sticks around a bit so that the controller is never out of use.

With the amount of cutscenes in Yakuza 7, and the time that you spend just watching the TV, I gave up on the headphones for the time being.
lol Its good to know that I wasn't going insane and someone else has this issue. I just got the LucidSound LS35X headphone and it was happening in AC: Valhala cutscenes. Wasn't sure what was the fault was, so thanks for the info.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you ever solve this issue? I have the same thing and it is also the same with Plex.

Kind of. On my LG Oled I went into the advanced audio settings and changed it to PCM which helped a lot. I also turned on the Av in the PS5 settings and switch it to 2ch before turning it off again, not sure if that did anything.

It still seems like everything defaults to 5.1 despite me only having the tv speakers.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get anything coming through the center channel while playing Spiderman when my PS5 is set to LPCM and using eARC through my C9 to my AVR(STR-DH790). It seems that Insomniac is aware of the issue because they have a support page for it: https://support.insomniac.games/hc/...ce-dialogue-audio-but-I-can-hear-other-audio-

The weird thing is that LPCM through eARC works perfectly fine when I'm playing Bugsnax, so it might be a game-specific issue.

Oct 27, 2017
lol Its good to know that I wasn't going insane and someone else has this issue. I just got the LucidSound LS35X headphone and it was happening in AC: Valhala cutscenes. Wasn't sure what was the fault was, so thanks for the info.
No problem at all. I hope we can get a fix soon as playing with headphones has become my main gaming setup in 2020. Certainly when it works, the games I've played like Cold War and Yakuza benefit from it.

The acknowledgement from Microsoft is already there, but how long it takes to fix is another question entirely.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity, any particular reason you don't use Atmos? Personal preference?

Did you happen to try setting the sound to passthough on the TV

(my setup seems quite similar to yours and I found a big improvement with the synch in Watchdogs when changing that setting)

Sadly i encountered lag when using Atmos with my setup.

I tried a few settings yesterday but couldn't find the right one so far.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I was under the impression that bitstream or PCM would sound practically identically if you're outputting to an AV receiver. Is that not right?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Microsoft can fix this. I don't know how they can advertise Atmos but have a poor implementation.

i've partially figured out the issue, it looks like when the console is enable to 4K 120 Hz, DTS cuts out and Dolby anything has a significant audio delay.

Putting it back to 4K 60 stops the DTS cuts but Dolby still has a (lesser than before) delay.

Frustrating.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
i've partially figured out the issue, it looks like when the console is enable to 4K 120 Hz, DTS cuts out and Dolby anything has a significant audio delay.

Putting it back to 4K 60 stops the DTS cuts but Dolby still has a (lesser than before) delay.

Frustrating.
How on earth does that not get picked up in testing? Seems remarkably easy to reproduce.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017

Frustrating.

Yeah case in point, the XSX right now doesn't seem to be optimized using it's processing. Seems like all the resouces are being devoted to game processing and it's struggling to compute audio processing fast enough.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
So, looks like MS fixed some audio processing stuff in new update on XSeries? My test is Sekiro title screen where you need to select and confirm profile, audio would usually crackle during or right after profile chooser Xbox UI native dialog pops up, but i have tried multiple times today and can't reproduce this anymore.

Watch Dogs:Legion does not give a shit about any of that tho... game is still broken on XS.

I am bitstreaming Atmos to my Sony DH790 through LG C9.

Also have tried some audio delay test patterns via USB stick connected to TV and the delay seems to be <42ms for Dolby. Guess i need a way to playback those test patterns on a console itself... but honestly is this delay what everyone is upset about or its more than 42ms on other setups? Because i can't really tell that there is a delay at all during gameplay.

Last edited:

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If you're going through a TV or stereo setup on PS5, set your audio option to AV Receiver, 2 channel stereo. I had the issue with no dialogue when I started Miles Morales, switched that and it immediately fixed it

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft say they're still looking into the audio bug (along with everything else in that utterly broken game).
They are taking their sweet ass time and the game is already half price even digital version. Never bought Ubisoft games at launch dunno why i did it this time... and in a way where i can't refund it 😂

lesson learned... hopefully

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
So, looks like MS fixed some audio processing stuff in new update on XSeries? My test is Sekiro title screen where you need to select and confirm profile, audio would usually crackle during or right after profile chooser Xbox UI native dialog pops up, but i have tried multiple times today and can't reproduce this anymore.

Watch Dogs:Legion does not give a shit about any of that tho... game is still broken on XS.

I am bitstreaming Atmos to my Sony DH790 through LG C9.

Also have tried some audio delay test patterns via USB stick connected to TV and the delay seems to be <42ms for Dolby. Guess i need a way to playback those test patterns on a console itself... but honestly is this delay what everyone is upset about or its more than 42ms on other setups? Because i can't really tell that there is a delay at all during gameplay.

What firmware is your XSX on? I had noticeable Atmos delay with my setup but not on PS5, so I'll test and let you know if it's better.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
What firmware is your XSX on? I had noticeable Atmos delay with my setup but not on PS5, so I'll test and let you know if it's better.

To be clear though, i did not notice any issues with Dolby Atmos passthrough delay before or after this update. My only complaint was crackling/popping audio in certain situation on console and it seems like that was fixed.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Really hope MS can fix the various audio issues on series x that didn't exist on xbox one x.

Ps5 is fine for me, but for series x audio is delayed!

I have it set up as Dolby Atmos just like I did with the xbox one x, and all was good there and working well but for some reason there's something with the series x that is causing an audio delay.

I havent tried a bluray disc yet in the series x but Apple TV 4k and my 4k bluray player also work well with dolby atmos its just something with the series x that is having dolby atmos issues.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Really hope MS can fix the various audio issues on series x that didn't exist on xbox one x.

Ps5 is fine for me, but for series x audio is delayed!

I have it set up as Dolby Atmos just like I did with the xbox one x, and all was good there and working well but for some reason there's something with the series x that is causing an audio delay.

I havent tried a bluray disc yet in the series x but Apple TV 4k and my 4k bluray player also work well with dolby atmos its just something with the series x that is having dolby atmos issues.

Agreed. Not sure what's up with DD and Atmos but it definitely is delayed.