• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
The only game I'm probably going to buy for the rest of the year is cyberpunk, should I just keep my 1x then instead of selling it for a series s ?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
"The Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR."

So the only thing you are not going to get on the Series S is the 4K enhancement.
Or am I missing something?
Xbox One X modes for games tend to have other visual enhancements that will now need to be specifically patched into the Series S (which most wont do) is what you're missing.
The X enhancements aren't just 4K, otherwise no game on it would have a performance mode.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
People who didn't see this coming weren't paying attention. This wouldn't be all that bad if so many Xbox One games weren't stuck at 900p and most performances modes with unlocked framerates were also exclusive to the mid gen refreshes, which means there are less games with unlocked framerates that really take advantage of the additional horsepower.

Don't buy the Series S for BC, that's what the Series X is for, especially if you go further back than Xbox One. I doubt there are many people who went all digital on Xbox 360 and you didn't have that option to begin with on the original Xbox.

So far Series S makes a really good case for Series X, moreso than for itself. Makes it look like a bargain.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know...
1. Am I an existing Xbox customer? Yes.
2. Do I have money? Yes.
3. Have I been financially harmed by the pandemic? Yes.
4. Was the cheaper SKU of the Series S attractive given all the other circumstances? Yes.
5. Do I want to play new Xbox games with 120FPS and ray tracing? Yes.

Based on all that, I kind of feel like I might have been a target demographic...
You are a consumer that cares about performance. This is a budget model. They have a performance model.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
wont be bad if GameStop has a great trade in deal again. THey gave me $300 for a launch Xbox One toward the Xb1x. And at the time a launch XB1 was worth maybe $125 on ebay. The XB1X is still holding some value on ebay right now. So we'll see
That was a good trade up deal actually.
But with covid GS have been charging a $75 fee on trade in, at least here in NY.
I would be shocked if you walk out of GS today with more than $200 for a 1X trade in.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
"The Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR."

So the only thing you are not going to get on the Series S is the 4K enhancement.

You don't get any Xbox One X enhancements. That includes performance modes, higher res textures, better ambient occlusion, etc if those items were included as a One X enhancement.

And there is a good chance you may actually be capped at 900p resolution unless MS has put in some sort of hardware override to generate 1080p or 1440p.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Well hot damn, that seals the deal for me. I thought about getting a Series S to replace my One X, but not if BC games will be somewhat of a downgrade.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Someone give it to me straight because I've seen a lot of fearmongering.

Is this a console that will potentially hold back graphics or processing powering for third party games/xbox exclusives for the next gen? Or is the difference not that big and they can simply have lighter graphics options for the Series S?
No it will run those games at lower settings.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017

Well - from what I can gather - some 1X games will have specific versions tailored to that system, which Series S won't have (But SX will have).

For example, Series S will have the 1S version of RDR2 with some extra IQ improvements but won't benefit from the full suite of goodies the 1X version has (improved particles, textures, draw distance etc). The SX version of RDR2 for example will be the 1X version on steroids.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
No it's not, literally. All the MARKETING is build around the 4K, and that's the actual smallest part of the Xbox One X, I would know, I'm using one since release and for 2 1/2 years only on a 1080p TV.

The Xbox One X and S in comparison are actually more like a cheaper PC and a high price PC, nobody f'n EVER would say here "Weeeeeellll, on the expensive one, you can play in higher res now, that's it". Nobody. Ever. Everyone would immediately understand how many hundreds of improvements you have on a newer and better system besides res.

Only on f'n console people don't get it and are sticking to the dumb fuck marketing horseshit of "Four Kay".

Xbox One X patches were build around specific graphic modes with better textures, better shadows, better draw distance, better effects, brand new effects, less pop-in, better and more outside stuff like grass, bushes, trees, clearer image, yes res too and the game changer called super sampling if you don't have 4K, but again, that's just one thing out of many features. More stable fps and extra specific high fps modes with 60fps which you only had on the X and you WON'T have on the Series S because it was part of Xbox One X compatibility.

People thinking higher res is all that Xbox One X was and Xbox Series X is about will never not confuse me. How can you be so disconnected to your own hobby to still have this wrong mindset about something that's so f'n clear if you just read more than 3 threads here or ever saw any DF video. I just don't get it.

You just spent around twenty minutes writing this out LOL

No one is saying you won't get those bonuses but the entire part of the upgrades is built around " 4K " and yes its marketing but it is the high point of it all for the majority of people. You are literally in a thread where people are complaining about this, how can you read more than 3 threads and watch a DF video and not get that?

You are also complaing that a $299 console can't do what a $499 console was able to, if you want all those nice benefits and not just a cheap next gen entry level option go buy a series X.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
No. Not correct.

One X enhancements often go beyond higher resolution. More often than not infact. You will not see any of *those* enhancements on the XSS. You will see *other* enhancements (like autohdr) but you aren't going to load Rise of the Tomb Raider and see the mode that enhances a lot of the graphical effects or the mode that targets higher performance. You won't see any optional modes. It'll be the X1S version of the game with better texture filtering, quicker loading, less framerate / resolution drops (if the game drops), and auto HDR.
They call that the 4k enhancement tho. So thats why i said correct. I know its more then just res.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
I think some people might have assumed since the Series S is more powerful than an X1X, it'll run and display games equal to or better than the X1X. It's targeting 1440p for next-gen games but older XB1 games that run at 4K on the X1X could do the same on the Series S given its hardware, but I imagine the RAM is probably the likely culprit there.

Agreed. We knew that this was going to be confusing and it will be up to MS to message it clearly. They have obviously made the decision to sacrifice resolution for increased performance. That may rub some console gamers wrong that prefer resolution. I suppose a developer could still choose to make a Series S version of an Xbox One game that looked more like the One X version with lower frames. Wouldn't be my personal preference, but to each his own. Give me performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One X isn't sold out everywhere.
You're disappointed about not getting enhancements but am willing to spend close to what the next gen series S would cost to get a current gen One S for little to no benefit at all to games and no future hardware wise.

When I checked all the major retailers it was either OOO or sold at a mark up wherever I looked. And I assumed the 1s would get a price drop once the series' come out. And Like I said I'm getting it almost exclusively for backwards compat (I'll be getting a PS5 for my next gen needs) so if the 2 are going to play BC games the same way, why would I get the presumably more expansive one?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It has less memory and much slower main memory than the XB1X, and barely equivalent GPU. How could it even come close in emulation?

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Every day I'm understanding less and less who the S is for. For people who want to save money? It seems like they're better off waiting for a price drop for the X and just getting a nearly similar experience on their current One with most of the same games being cross-gen anyway.

It will always be for people who want to save money, there won't be price drops only on X, this will always be cheaper. People can buy in at a price that suits them based on what's important to them. For many people, that won't be running games in 4K, BC or next gen.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Every day I'm understanding less and less who the S is for. For people who want to save money? It seems like they're better off waiting for a price drop for the X and just getting a nearly similar experience on their current One with most of the same games being cross-gen anyway.
This is entirely false. You will not get close to a similar experience on your current One. The only games you will, are current gen games with One X enhancements that are designed specifically for the One X. Every other game will run better on the Series S than the One X, especially cross gen/next gen games.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
The back and forth about Series S is a bit confusing and makes the X a bit more attractive. Ultimately what I liked about its reveal was a focus on FPS so as long as the S will not miss out on good framerates I'm good.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Well hey now, you've wandered into things that are up to the devs/pubs - not Xbox/Microsoft.
Well, yes... The debate here is over the One X features, which it can't access. My point is that it's not just the resolution, some other One X stuff is getting left behind as well, even running at 1080p, because it's strictly limited to the original One S profile.

Personally, this hardly changes the way I view the Series S, it's still one hell of a package for its price.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
I think it's OK. Series s is not aiming a 4k experience, so it's reasonable that it won't have 4k for older titles. But of course, performance whores and youtubers will complain about it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That's a crazy outcome. So it's XB1 S levels of resolution and performance?

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

Do you want to play all upcoming big third party games for $299, if you don't want to pay that you can wait and likely pay $200 in time.

Jul 10, 2020
Wait, the $299 Xbox Series S comes with free GamePass and EA Play?!
Honestly at this point it wouldn't surprise me.

The Series S has been and always will be a GamePass machine.

That's what it exists for.

It's meant to be cheap to get people into GamePass. They stay in GamePass. They stay in the eco-system.

It should really be called the Xbox Series GamePass. That's all anyone's really going to use it for.

Want GamePass games but don't have a good pc? Series S. Want to play Fable but not at 499? Series S.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Most games use a dynamic resolution nowadays so on those games it will automatically take advantage of the newer gpu to max out the resolution

You sure about that? On Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, sure but on Xbox One S you are either getting locked 900p, dynamic res capped at 1080p or dynamic res capped at 900p with the occasional game running at 1080p native res. At least it has been that way for the last few years. I doubt that any Xbox One S games will scale higher than 1080p without someone doing extra work on them.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The X1S sold more than the X1X. I think, and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that last year, Microsoft sold far more X1S consoles than X1X consoles, so it's for all the people that don't want to spend $500 on a console.

Heck, I'm pretty sure the PS4 still comfortably outsells the PS4 Pro. Most people *aren't* after the highest end experience.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
People don't get that no 4K means no 4K

they also don't understand a One X will never have a game running at 120fps

Because that just sounds like bullshit. The console should be able to render less demanding games in 4K. It's hard to believe the system is incapable of running games like RDR in 4K, and if they're just arbitrarily saying "We're not advertising this is a 4K console, so no 4K whatsoever" that's really lame, I'm not sure what anyone would or should be fine with that.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not quite. It's running those versions of the game but it will run it better. More steady frame rate, dynamic resolution will probably be locked instead as well for the most part without drops in those games. And auto HDR can happen do to some machine learning.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just remember that this is a 12 page thread in just over an hour about how the series S will run 360 games*...

It's got nothing to do with how the Series S runs it's own games, OR how the Series S runs Xbox One games.

When the 1X runs a 360 game, because it has tons of ram, it can do some clever stuff to approximate running a 4k version of the 360 game with some better textures. The Series S has enough ram to run next gen games at 1080p/1440p because those textures aren't as large. It doesn't have enough ram to do the same trick as the 1X does and run 360 games at a funky 4k level.

Everyone's got themselves in a massive twist about a minor issue with RAM size.

If you're the sort of person who cares about playing a 360 game in a fancy 4k kind of way, then you'll get a Series X**.

If you're on a tight budget, and just want to play the latest COD and Fifa, you'll get the Series S**

*Yes - I haven't mentioned original xbox games because this post is already ridiculous enough
**Other console manufacturers are available too

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018

If you ignore all the improvements they've already announced that will be applied by default to every BC title and all the titles they've already announced that will be optimized for Series S (49 so far across current and next gen) then sure. So not really...

Status
Not open for further replies.