• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
As per the latest digital foundry video at the 17:40 mark, the Xbox Series S will play only the OG/Xbox One S version via backwards compatability due to the Series S RAM constraints.

It will not play the Xbox One X version via backward compatability.

Xbox One X - 9gb ram usable for games
Series S - 8gb (DF rumoured to have heard it has 7.5GB) usable for games

Thought this was pretty big news that we haven't heard before

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
This was speculation, not confirmation. (though I expect it to be true)

They could also scale the games by 2x instead of 4x to get around the issues for 360 games for example.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
We don't really know that. I took at as they were really just guessing. The whole video was all speculation.

Bovandy

Aug 15, 2019
Both are...Xbox content. You mean the graphics won't be as good? That's not really news.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Wait, so you can't get Xbox One X backwards compatibility enhancements with the Series S?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did you listen to the whole segment? They said it's not confirmed that it won't. They just believe it won't. They didn't confirm anything. Close the thread.

Dec 26, 2019
Why is this even a debate? Xbox One X games won't fit in memory, simple as that. They can't even if they wanted. It's literally impossible.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Damn... no RDR at 4K

Was gonna get one down the line for a replay :x
Side note, this would also require a 4K update from Rockstar Games. Considering they didn't do anything with the PS4 and Xbox One port of GTA V, do you think they could update Read Dead 2 on PS5 and Xbox Series X?

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes if true.
We really need a confirmation one way or another from Microsoft on this one.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
figured. i wonder if we get atleast the resolution bump to 1440p instead of one S 1080p?

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
About two seconds after this was said in the video they said it was speculation and nothing confirmed.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Damn... no RDR at 4K

Was gonna get one down the line for a replay :x
Yeah, I asked this in another thread earlier. I was wondering if it could actually play RDR2 at 4K since it does have 4K output support, but we have the answer now.

Quite the bummer. Hopefully it can play the One S versions at better framerates at least, but the lack of resolution bump sucks.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow that's insane, I think that limits the use case even though we knew it wasn't 4k but I had assumed it had all the xbox one x enhancements.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
If true then it's a bit of a bummer. It has the power to play BC One X games. Shame that it might not be able to due to a lack of ram.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeh, that RAM is a bummer; I know there has been a lot said about it holding back next gen games, but I truly hope it doesn't.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Side note, this would also require a 4K update from Rockstar Games. Considering they didn't do anything with the PS4 and Xbox One port of GTA V, do you think they could update Read Dead 2 on PS5 and Xbox Series X?
RDR2 is already 4k on Xbox One X, thats what he's saying in the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.