• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really consider the XSS if it had a disc drive. I'm really interested in BC.

Looks like a great machine for the price.

It'd be a good idea to turn off quick resume since it seems to take up a significant amount of space on the low SSD size.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see some positive reviews. I hope they come out with a disk version with a larger SSD.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
*comes in to post his review*

*Sees it's the third entry in the OP*

:)

Also, written review is here if you'd prefer to read words rather than watch video that kept me awake until TWO IN THE GODDAMN MORNING :P https://www.nextgenbase.com/xbox-series-s-review/

Edit: Throw questions at me if you want, I'll answer as many as I can :)

Can you ask to Ubisoft's PR about AC Valhalla's framerate on XSS? The version being played for now is the Xbox One version.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Interesting that Jason's on Bloomberg mentions that the Series S version of Valhalla runs at 30FPS. I wonder what's up with that?

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Im ok with getting a XS/S and having three years of GamePass for ÂŁ110 and not spending a Penny more

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
He mentions Sunset Overdrive is boosted to 1080p on Series S instead of the original 900p on the One. Is this confirmed?

Yeah, this is very intriguing. I assumed games on Series S would run with One S settings unless patched, but maybe MS found a way to automatically force BC games to render at 1080p on the S regardless of original settings? If so, that'd be really awesome and it makes the Series S much more attractive right out of the gate.

MVG really knows his stuff, so I'd be surprised if we was wrong on this one.

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, this is very intriguing. I assumed games on Series S would run with One S settings unless patched, but maybe MS found a way to automatically force games to render at 1080p on the S regardless of original settings? If so, that'd be really awesome and it makes the Series S much more attractive right out of the gate.

MVG really knows his stuff, so I'd be surprised if we was wrong on this one.
Oh, that would be amazing honestly. Many games really suffer from 720 or 900p resolutions.

Really hope this is true.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Not surprised that this will most likely just be a 1080p/60fps machine and that stuff like RT will be up to devs as much as it is the hardware.

Still not too worried about memory though.
I got a 2 TB external HD for my PS4 and have almost completely loaded it up with games which is great...except for the paralysis of choice and an ever growing backlog. Previously I've always dealt with low memory in my consoles which was good because it led to me being more selective/quicker to finish games so I can deal with the limitations if I rub up against it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Oh, that would be amazing honestly. Many games really suffer from 720 or 900p resolutions.

Really hope this is true.

Yeah and while OG Xbox and X enhanced 360 games run at 4K on Series X and One X (or nearest neighbor depending on the original resolution), they also seem to get a resolution bump on the S. OG games seem to run at 1080p on the S, unlike the One S which ran them at their original resolution.

We'll have to wait and see.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised that this will most likely just be a 1080p/60fps machine and that stuff like RT will be up to devs as much as it is the hardware.

Still not too worried about memory though.
I got a 2 TB external HD for my PS4 and have almost completely loaded it up with games which is great...except for the paralysis of choice and an ever growing backlog. Previously I've always dealt with low memory in my consoles which was good because it led to me being more selective/quicker to finish games so I can deal with the limitations if I rub up against it.
You should probably say storage/drive space instead of memory.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really consider the XSS if it had a disc drive. I'm really interested in BC.

Looks like a great machine for the price.

It'd be a good idea to turn off quick resume since it seems to take up a significant amount of space on the low SSD size.
Unless you can't fit it via size, if you are interested in bc you might as well get the X. Guaranteed best version of bc with no compromise, and you have over double the ssd space. Plus you don't have to buy a disc drive as it is already built in.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
MVG says Sunset Overdrive is 1080p on XSS, isn't that game hard locked at 900p 30, or was the resolution dynamic.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I wanted to have this option to not download the 4K textures but for the XSX :v

I'm not a sucker for 4K yet (I'm holding on my old shitty tv till the day I can afford an CX or similar) but I would love to play stuff at 1080P with Ray Tracing and stuff (What I currently do on PC), without the need to hog my SSD with huge games with 4k textures added
this would be a neat feature, I'd assume it would also use less energy that way, maybe similar wattage to a Series S. I'm actually looking for an energy-efficient gaming set-up

Oct 28, 2017
Do we have info on how the Series S is gonna run 360 games, compared to the one S or One X?
1440p resolution instead of 4k plus auto-HDR.
MVG says Sunset Overdrive is 1080p on XSS, isn't that game hard locked at 900p 30, or was the resolution dynamic.
As far as I remember it was locked 900p 30. It would be great if it is 1080p now. Microsoft did said that they are able to increase the resolutions of games even if they are not using dynamic resolution.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
*comes in to post his review*

*Sees it's the third entry in the OP*

:)

Also, written review is here if you'd prefer to read words rather than watch video that kept me awake until TWO IN THE GODDAMN MORNING :P https://www.nextgenbase.com/xbox-series-s-review/

Edit: Throw questions at me if you want, I'll answer as many as I can :)

This was the biggest thing I've been kind of put off by on the new consoles from MS:

That was, however, until the system rebooted and I found myself at the Xbox dashboard. The very same Xbox dashboard that I've not really touched in a while, complete with my Ori and the Blind Forest background, and the same layout of icons that were on my OG Xbox One. In some ways, it felt very reassuring to have the immediacy and familiarity of that old system coming across into a new generation, but at the same time I was left feeling a little bit like "Well what's new?". It felt like that moment when you upgrade to a new phone (particularly in the Apple ecosystem). You download all your apps and settings, they all snap to the same spot on the home screen, your wallpaper and camera roll appears, and things feel a bit faster, but after taking a few excited selfies and marvelling at just how many blemishes on your own face you can pick out, you're left to sort of figure the rest out for yourself.

I feel like its going to just feel like I have a more power 1X. It doesn't give me that same OMG I got a new system the generation is about to top off! I want it to all be new and shiny. New OS, New controller new everything

Oct 25, 2017
Best review so far with loading tests, framerate tests, noise and heat tests etc

You weren't kidding. Thanks for posting this. As someone whose looking to get one mainly for B/C, this review is exactly what I was looking for. So far everything looks good, my only concerns are the SSD size and the lack of performance modes for late gen games. I'm also curious as to how it's able to hold the 120fps for games that support it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I'm one of those people, PS5 will be my main console but I'll probably buy an S as soon the first Arkane exclusive game comes out.

Yeah this is me too, I'm gonna dig into these reviews when I get home but I want an S just to catch up on Xbox games I've missed (never had an Xbox before) and for new exclusives

Also love the way this system looks, and the price

Just want to see some DF videos on how the bigger games run on it first before committing to pulling the trigger

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This was the biggest thing I've been kind of put off by on the new consoles from MS:

I feel like its going to just feel like I have a more power 1X. It doesn't give me that same OMG I got a new system the generation is about to top off! I want it to all be new and shiny. New OS, New controller new everything

It literally feels like upgrading your phone. I was tempted to put in the review that it feels like the best Xbox One I've ever owned, but I thought that sounded a little bit too harsh on something I'm actually pretty impressed by.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It literally feels like upgrading your phone. I was tempted to put in the review that it feels like the best Xbox One I've ever owned, but I thought that sounded a little bit to harsh on something I'm actually pretty impressed by.
That's a really interesting way of putting it. Not bad per se, but it's something to understand.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Aw don't take this away from me. That was honestly the part of the review that excited me the most.
Yeah I wait for DF to cover the system.... because on XSX Just Cause 3 was still 900p 30, but at a locked 30 fps. Otherwise MVG review was excellent. MS does have the ability to upgrade games to 1080p(or higher), and upgrade the frame rate as well. But there is no info on which games will be supported yet.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This is the perfect machine for all kids, students and casual gamers. My nephew wants this for Christmas, too. I think it's good we have an entry option to next-gen in a time of global pandemic and job losses, too. While it's Series X for me, I'm glad this product exists. :)

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I'm having the hardest time deciding whether Xbox One X to Series S is an upgrade. Like... I want the Series S as a companion console to my PS5, but that means I'm mostly interested in GamePass games and older Xbox and XB360 titles. It bothers me that the Series S can't run those back compat games at the higher resolutions that the One X already offers.

So other than the much faster hard drive... Why would I upgrade from a One X to a Series S at this point?
I think it will be. Just imagine a game like Destiny 2, going from very slow loading (really painful in that game!) 30fps to speedy loads and 60hz refresh.
Im ok with getting a XS/S and having three years of GamePass for ÂŁ110 and not spending a Penny more
The value is simply too good to ignore. I did similar slightly cheaper/way more hassle with a cheeky Brazilian LIVE>GPU conversion and will do as you say by not spending at all going forwards - no need. I think we pay around the same for Netflix but then I can sell this in 2023 to put towards whatever else is on offer so it's actually cheaper. The X didn't offer enough over the S to justify the extra expense the way we'll use it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info, only the post I responded to made it sound like it didn't, but I believe he's amended that now. Next gen more than anything should be about better performance and the S has that.
So far we games on series x having a 120fps mode have it on Series s also. Gears 5, Falconeer, Dirt 5, Star Wars squadron etc

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the MVG review video says most sub 1080p Xbox One games automatically get a resolution bumped to 1080p. Is that correct?